MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

I have an idea who DJ Khaled is...

I just don't give a damn.

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

I have an idea who DJ Khaled is...

I just don't give a damn.

200w.gif

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Any guitar players in here? Bought a lightly used goldtop Gibson and it came with the GForce robo tuner system. Have wondered when it'd fail me. Only took 3 string changes and the low E motor jammed up. Nice. What a dumb idea. Now to replace with Grovers. Gibson. Sheesh.

Turned on the tube about 20 minutes ago... WLD was on. Lol

Titleist 917D2 (8.5), OG Whiteboard 73
Callaway Steelhead Fd (15), Diamana D+ 80
Titleist 816H1 (19), Diamana D+ 90
Titleist 712 MB 4-PW, TTDG X100
Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, TTDG S300
Cameron Newport, 34"

Any guitar players in here? Bought a lightly used goldtop Gibson and it came with the GForce robo tuner system. Have wondered when it'd fail me. Only took 3 string changes and the low E motor jammed up. Nice. What a dumb idea. Now to replace with Grovers. Gibson. Sheesh.

I'm on my third go round with buying a guitar and thinking I'm going to learn. After my trip to Nashville in May I bought a beginner Martin acoustic and have picked it up...twice in three+ months. I think I just need to realize I really only have time enough for one hobby that I want to take lessons/play/practice at every chance I get. Still holding out hope lol

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

I'm on my third go round with buying a guitar and thinking I'm going to learn. After my trip to Nashville in May I bought a beginner Martin acoustic and have picked it up...twice in three+ months. I think I just need to realize I really only have time enough for one hobby that I want to take lessons/play/practice at every chance I get. Still holding out hope lol

Same here. I've bought and sold several guitars and never really learned more than a few simple chords. Currently collecting dust in the corner of my home office is an old beat up fender acoustic that GooseHook traded me for a box of golf balls.

Same here. I've bought and sold several guitars and never really learned more than a few simple chords. Currently collecting dust in the corner of my home office is an old beat up fender acoustic that GooseHook traded me for a box of golf balls.

My usual problem is that I never want to actually learn chords - or really anything. I can still read sheet music/tabs so I'll learn a song that I'm interested in and could play it - but couldnt tell you what any of the chords were unless it was listed. So I can never do any long term good.

Anybody else think this is really dumb?

http://www.golfwrx.com/463106/proof-that-short-shots-make-the-difference-try-this-test/

Of course the resulting score will be lower. A better golfer is playing part of your round for you. They're better at every aspect of the game. If I had a professional sprinter sub in for me in the last half of a foot race, don't you think I'd finish faster?

It's also dumb that the scratch player takes over as soon as you've hit the number of shots required to reach the hole in regulation. For a less skilled player, they may still be a long way from the green when that number of shots is reached. You're not really isolating the short game at that point.

Here's (I think) a much more interesting proposition: Take a mid-cap player, and a scratch player out for a round of golf. Have them each play their own ball down for the entire round. In addition, once a player is within some arbitrary distance you consider short game (lets say 50 yards), the other player puts a ball down as close as possible and completes the hole. Keep track of both scores. Is there a bigger difference between the scores for the scratch guy, or the mid-cap guy? What percentage of the difference in their actual scores (where they played the ball down) does the mid-cap guy make up with the score where the scratch player plays the short game shots?

I don't like the article either. The point, I think, is the old adage that you can improve more strokes in your short game than you can in your long game. Or put another way, that it's more possible for me to get an elite short game than an elite long game. I'm not so sure that's true, and the article doesn't bring anything new to the table on that. It's just presented as fact.

I don't like the idea because I think it undermines just how much talent and ability is in the short game area. I don't see a pro-level short game being easier to obtain than a pro-level long game.

Anybody that's serious about improving their golf scores should at the very least be adequate in the short game. If you aren't almost always getting the ball on the green in one shot when you're within ~50 yards of the flag, and/or 3-putting more than 1-2 times/round on average, you need to dedicate some time to that stuff. Basically, get to the point where you're able to get down in 3 shots or less on average from inside 50 yards. That level of proficiency is attainable by pretty much anybody. Any improvement beyond that level equates to fine tuning in my mind. You've got to do the fine tuning to really maximize your scoring potential, but a 15 cap ain't getting to a 5 by just working on short game. A 5 handicap ain't getting to a 0 by just working on short game, either. You've got to work dat coarse adjustment knob (ball striking) to make the big, lasting improvements.

I'm going to sneak out to play ~2pm today, somewhere near home base. I know better than to think Hobbits would have any availability on a Thursday afternoon during high school golf season, but I decided to call and ask just for shiggles. The response: "We're essentially closed this afternoon. We've got the <blah, blah>, followed by the <blah, blah>." Surprisingly, neither <blah, blah> was high school golf.

I'll probably end up at Waverly again, since I at least feel confident about finishing 18 there before I need to get home. Being able to finish under 4.5 is a roll of the dice at Timbers. Fairway Hills is a wild card I might be willing to play.

Regardless, it looks like some beautiful fall weather on a late summer day for some golf.

I don't see a pro-level short game being easier to obtain than a pro-level long game.

its a lot easier to get close to.

People used to argue whether an amateur would score better if he had a pro hit all his long shots or all his short shots.

People used to actually argue about that. Eventually the people who argued for a pro hitting their short shots got so pwn3d that the discussion disappeared from the face of the earth.

Apparently, Clark is bringing it back.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

The problem with article was that the author didn't make his actual point until the first sentence of the second to last paragraph. Allow me to ghetto quote:

Again, I don’t mean to say you can learn to play short shots as well as the really skilled players, but you can make more progress in this area than your full swing.

he's not making a point about the relative importance of full swing improvement vs shortgame improvement. He's making a point about the relative EASE of improvement

he's not making a point about the relative importance of full swing improvement vs shortgame improvement.

Really?

I believe the real key to better golf lies more in the short shots than the full ones. I am not saying you can learn short shots to a professional level, but I am suggesting that you can make more progress and take a bigger step to lower scores by learning how to pitch, chip, play bunker shots and putt better than you do now.

It's kind of funny that you quoted him as Dingus Clark. But I'm offended that you implied he's on the same level as us professional dingii. I worked hard for this status

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

I don't see a pro-level short game being easier to obtain than a pro-level long game.

Why do you say that? I don't necessarily disagree, but I don't see it as immediately obvious like many do. A lot of people say just because it's noticeably less athletic than the long game, but I don't think that means it's easier. It still requires different types of talent and precision that many people don't have.

I'm going to sneak out to play ~2pm today, somewhere near home base. I know better than to think Hobbits would have any availability on a Thursday afternoon during high school golf season, but I decided to call and ask just for shiggles. The response: "We're essentially closed this afternoon. We've got the <blah, blah>, followed by the <blah, blah>." Surprisingly, neither <blah, blah> was high school golf.

I'll probably end up at Waverly again, since I at least feel confident about finishing 18 there before I need to get home. Being able to finish under 4.5 is a roll of the dice at Timbers. Fairway Hills is a wild card I might be willing to play.

Regardless, it looks like some beautiful fall weather on a late summer day for some golf.

You can significantly lower your Grint scoring average at Willow Springs!

Why do you say that? I don't necessarily disagree, but I don't see it as immediately obvious like many do. A lot of people say just because it's noticeably less athletic than the long game, but I don't think that means it's easier. It still requires different types of talent and precision that many people don't have.

Completely agree with City. Its not "easier". But I think you can take someone with a terrible swing and terrible long game and teach them to pitch/chip at a much higher level than their long game might indicate. Smaller motions, less movement, simpler concepts, less "coordination" required.

Completely agree with City. Its not "easier". But I think you can take someone with a terrible swing and terrible long game and teach them to pitch/chip at a much higher level than their long game might indicate. Smaller motions, less movement, simpler concepts, less "coordination" required.

I don't know. I agree with you guys in theory. I'm just not sure that there's anything to that besides intuition though. I don't know may people who have a trash swing but a decent short game. I have met lots of people who have a decent swing and a trash short game. Is that a sign that people just don't practice their short game to get those gains, or that it's harder than it looks at first glance? Maybe a bit of both.

he's not making a point about the relative importance of full swing improvement vs shortgame improvement.

Really?

I believe the real key to better golf lies more in the short shots than the full ones. I am not saying you can learn short shots to a professional level, but I am suggesting that you can make more progress and take a bigger step to lower scores by learning how to pitch, chip, play bunker shots and putt better than you do now.

yes that really is what i think he's saying. it's just terribly written!

from the comments:

Screen_Shot_2017-09-07_at_10.56.55_AM.png

i definitely think it's "easier" to get close to a pro-level short game. i'll never be a pro-level ball-striker. won't happen, no matter how hard i try. i am severely lacking in various physical attributes that prohibit me from creating the prerequisite pro-level speed necessary. those same limitations don't exist in the short game.

that's not to say pros don't have awesome short games... they do. it's just that i can get closer to a 60% conversion rate on up and downs than i could to hitting 300 yard drives and 215 yard irons.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

playing the MSGA one day event fourball at hillendale tomorrow. really looking forward to it. That's a course that's been on my "want to play" list for a while. i've just heard a lot of people rave about it. my partner is a friend ... who works for a really important customer. We've tried to schedule golf twice and both times it's gotten cancelled. We both wanted to play the course so we signed up as a chance to play together more than saying "hey let's go win this thing together". He's scratch though so if we both make some birdies we can win.

<p>playing the MSGA one day event fourball at hillendale tomorrow. really looking forward to it. That's a course that's been on my "want to play" list for a while. i've just heard a lot of people rave about it. my partner is a friend ... who works for a really important customer. We've tried to schedule golf twice and both times it's gotten cancelled. We both wanted to play the course so we signed up as a chance to play together more than saying "hey let's go win this thing together". He's scratch though so if we both make some birdies we can win.</p>

MOAR 2MHTML

giphy.gif

from the comments:

Screen_Shot_2017-09-07_at_10.56.55_AM.png

i definitely think it's "easier" to get close to a pro-level short game. i'll never be a pro-level ball-striker. won't happen, no matter how hard i try. i am severely lacking in various physical attributes that prohibit me from creating the prerequisite pro-level speed necessary. those same limitations don't exist in the short game.

that's not to say pros don't have awesome short games... they do. it's just that i can get closer to a 60% conversion rate on up and downs than i could to hitting 300 yard drives and 215 yard irons.

ok i was wrong. that TILLLLLTS me. "innumeracy" is an affliction on society