2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

Had that lesson with Marty Johnson yesterday. I think the biggest takeaway was probably completely changing what I do at the range. I told him everything I've been thinking about on the range, or been working on, and he gave me the same "you're an idiot" look that I imagine Fabb gets whenever he reads one of my posts about P3. He spent a ton of time talking about impact, and asking me to hit high/low cuts/draws with the ball forward/back in the stance, and then spent some time trying to explain to me how my hands are supposed to work.

I'm not sure if everything he said got through, but I'm definitely going to start trying to shape more shots with wedges when I'm at the range as a way to figure out how my body is supposed to move to produce certain results.

Also, during one of the slow-mo vids he took, he paused it at P3 and said that's something we should work on in another lesson. He didn't actually say P3, but I still thought it was pretty funny.

Working the ball flight has been something I've started working on too. I like to place an alignment stick pointing down range as a visual aids to help me focus on club path from in to out and out to in to hit cuts or draws.

Communicating with Domes on the thread is like a really bad 12 Monkeys movie remake. Its like we're in the future, and he's in the past, and we keep trying to go back and change it so he doesn't make the same mistakes and we make it worse everytime. I think he went and bought a hole box of Lady IQ balls back when they thought they were a better ball in the wind about 2 years ago.

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

Any of you guys ever watch the "Adventures in Golf" from skratch?

They were talking about this one on one of the golf pods. They rediscovered an Old Tom Morris design. They have some pretty good episodes. They played a golf course a prison built. They played a course in Compton. They play urban golf in places.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Stupid story :

I got this beer from MeatDon from Vermont for Nerf. So, I'm meeting with a buddy of his today to make "the drop".

The emails I've been exchanging with the third party are subjected : "Beers for B----". You guys know his name.

Anyway back in 1988 when the first Bush became president, he had a summer getaway house in Kennebunkport, Maine. So, someone in Maine wrote a song called "Beans for Bush" that was all about making beans and bringing them over the Bush's house. . .because Maine. (this has nothing to do with "Bush's Baked Beans", by the way. That's a whole other entity) They played it on the radio, no matter the station. (This was something that at least one of my aunts probably thought possible, "oh, I'll make them some beans and just drop them off.")

It went :

Get your beans for Bush, it's the neighborly thing to do

Get your beans for Bush, etc etc etc "

So, all week, every time the email pops up, I start singing,

"Get your Beers for B----, it's the neighborly thing to do"

The problem is I can't remember a single extra lyric and the internet has a great big hole where that song should be. I can't find a hint of it. Anyone who finds complete lyrics to that song gets a sleeve of balls from YT.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

DJs...

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

DC and I pull up to the first tee, anxious to meet our Northwest randos for the day. On the box, we found two men in a cart, with ONE bag of clubs.

giphy.gif

One was wearing camo cargo khaki shorts with a golf shirt. The other had on some 'fancy" looking tight black jeans and a golf shirt. They also had matching golf shoes that were brand new.

giphy.gif

When they asked what tees we're playing, we told them we're playing the blues. They responded, "we will play the blues."

giphy.gif

DC and I hit a couple good ones out there. First guy steps up and hits a slice short and right.

giphy.gif

Second guy grabs the shared driver, and hits a nice high straight ball, right down the pipe.

giphy.gif

They turned out to be surprisingly decent players, and were totally nice.

Their shared bag included an aeroburner driver, two pre amp cell Cobra fairways, a set of minty Mizuno MP-33s, a vokey, a Cleveland wedge, and I'm fairly certain the first PING anser putter to ever roll off the production line. All paired with the cult classic nitro golf ball. Heck of a set.

Customer golf today. One tells me ok whoever loses this hole shotguns a beer. I hit a poor shot on a par 3 and leave myself a tough putt. He bounces one off the cart path into the junk. I four putt. He drops no where near where his ball goes out and says wait if I get this up and down that's four and I win. He hits an absurd flop shot and makes the putt. I lose. At the turn one turns to me and says let's bet. If I shoot 43 or less with this ball you gotta get a tattoo. If I don't I'll give you 25$. Another guys ask where the tattoo is. We decide tramp stamp vs 25$ is appropriate bet. Not much of a sweat. He hit it OB on 10. He literally didnt bring any balls. I think there is one ball left in my bag. Manor is quite nice.

Customer golf today. One tells me ok whoever loses this hole shotguns a beer. I hit a poor shot on a par 3 and leave myself a tough putt. He bounces one off the cart path into the junk. I four putt. He drops no where near where his ball goes out and says wait if I get this up and down that's four and I win. He hits an absurd flop shot and makes the putt. I lose. At the turn one turns to me and says let's bet. If I shoot 43 or less with this ball you gotta get a tattoo. If I don't I'll give you 25$. Another guys ask where the tattoo is. We decide tramp stamp vs 25$ is appropriate bet. Not much of a sweat. He hit it OB on 10. He literally didnt bring any balls. I think there is one ball left in my bag. Manor is quite nice.

I really like Manor. Were the greens lightening? Did you play tips? It's a lot of very long Par 4s from the tips. I think it's a tough course.

Titleist 917D2 (8.5), OG Whiteboard 73
Callaway Steelhead Fd (15), Diamana D+ 80
Titleist 816H1 (19), Diamana D+ 90
Titleist 712 MB 4-PW, TTDG X100
Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, TTDG S300
Cameron Newport, 34"

Northwest continues to amaze me with how great a shape they keep that course in. Far better shape than South Riding and better shape than Blue Mash. I know that sounds crazy. But $25 to play on a Friday afternoon, it would have been $15 if we could have made it at 130p. Pure greens and everything else was great. Love how they are mowing a true 1st cut and 2nd cut of rough too. There is absolutely no course in the DMV that provides the same conditions/value.

Always good to get out with Fabb. We both played decent, nothing spectacular until he finished with two birdies. Both had a couple loose drives off the tee but pretty steady play for the most part. I lost a few shots to just bad decision making. I dont know if thats due to not having packed any snacks yesterday or not. But midway through the back nine I was really exhausted, I think it was only 75* or so but it was approximately 298% humidity. I dont think I've played in humidity like that all year. I missed 8 or 9 putts on the high side by an inch yesterday, it was maddening. But I also made a handful of 4-6' come back putts so all is not lost. And I was not yet tempted to test out the Toulon Indy.

Played the same ChromesoftX for the whole round. Its a good ball, nothing that much different than the TP5X. Maybe feels a little softer but distance wise, around the greens - its a good ball. Would definitely play it when my TM stock runs out.

The most impressive thing to me was pulling onto the first tee and we being the fourth group on the hole. Still waiting on the group in front to tee off, group in the fairway, group on the green. Thought it was going to be a disaster of a day. But we played in right on 4:20. Not bad on a Friday afternoon.

Also made a great stop at the MoCo liquor store on New Hampshire ave. Everything was light years cheaper than VA. Picked up 6 bottles of the Balvenie 12 and a Willet Pot Still. $25/bottle cheaper than in VA, the 21 year was $60 cheaper. Dont know how you MoCo folks do it, how are you all just not sitting around drinking scotch and doing fancy things?

1wdvyk.jpg

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

I really like Manor. Were the greens lightening? Did you play tips? It's a lot of very long Par 4s from the tips. I think it's a tough course.

Greens were amazing. Fast. Not stupid. We didn't play the tips or greens. Played it at 6000 yards.

Dont know how you MoCo folks do it, how are you all just not sitting around drinking scotch and doing fancy things?

1wdvyk.jpg

Oh we do all right. Why do you think we moved to MoCo? To build a legacy for our family.

And MCG does a really good job of running/maintaining the county courses. Compare it to Redgate, the Rockville owned course, and it's night and day as far as course conditions go.