MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

From best to worst tonight were:

Mental game

Short game

Putting

Irons

Driving

If you've played even one round with me you'd recognize this list as being 100% completely upside down. Round was absurdly slow, almost 4.5 hours. Course was packed because its been the nicest day of the week and rain is expected all weekend. Was down in the match three times. Took three triples and two doubles - mixed in with two birdies. Could have packed it in a couple of times but won two up while playing like absolute dog-s for the first 15 holes. Won 16, pushed 17, won 18.

Toughest part was my driving, which is normally the strongest part of my game, was lost lost lost. Lesson I took a couple weeks ago was really on learning how to hit a good strong fade off the tee. Downside of that is the miss while I'm figuring that out is going to be a low R->L bullet. Not great considering a majority of the holes move L->R.

I was up twice on the back nine but lost 15 to hit 16 tee even. Par 3 over water, opponent takes the honor, hits one wide left, I play conservative after that, hit it to 30 feet, two putt for par and the win. 17 is a good par 4. Drive in the fairway bunker just like I did in my opening match. Lay up to 100 yards. Opponent is stone dead in a greenside bunker so I hit one to the center of the green. He gets out and we two putt for par to push the hole. Dormie. 18th tee I play the same as I did in the first match. 4 iron down the middle to @ 150 yards. He hits driver wide right. I stuff an 8 iron to 10 feet. He hits one to the front of the green and chips on. I two putt for par and the win.

One match left for the A flight title. Glad that I ended up playing A flight and getting a couple good matches in vs getting killed in Championship flight. Experience in the last couple matches has really been invaluable and I'm honestly surprised at how I ended up playing over the last hour tonight.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Got a link for some Project (a) balls. Sent it to those of you whose email address I have so you can proliferate it...or you can use this link.

http://taylormade.extole.com/6ggfo

GBB Epic 9.0*
Srixon 17*
Taylormade M1 19*
Srixon U65 20*, 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*, 54*
Taylormade Tour Spider

How early?

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

1. Nice round DC. Hang onto that mental stuff.

2. Can't do it, sneek.

3. Tex... Imo, yes. Let's get out there someday. It's my home course. And it's a great course to play again and again. Not every course can say that. Lots of different looks from the tee. Green complexes are weakest aspect.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

1. Nice round DC. Hang onto that mental stuff.

2. Can't do it, sneek.

3. Tex... Imo, yes. Let's get out there someday. It's my home course. And it's a great course to play again and again. Not every course can say that. Lots of different looks from the tee. Green complexes are weakest aspect.

It has views like a mountain course but I only saw the range. :(

It was a haul but I would be down if the wife and kids leave to visit the grand parents.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Superfriends,

I'm headed down to MB in a couple of weeks. I got four days/courses to play (probably one per day unless I'm feeling frisky). I've never been there so I've spent a lot of time looking at courses. I have a list here that seems to be a good selection. Cost is a consideration but not necessarily a limitation. Thoughts on my choices (in no particular order)? I'm staying in Surfside Beach.

Grande Dunes

Thistle

King's North

River Club

Tidewater

Arrowhead

True Blue

Replace grande dunes with The dunes and true blue with Caledonia.

Superfriends,

I'm headed down to MB in a couple of weeks. I got four days/courses to play (probably one per day unless I'm feeling frisky). I've never been there so I've spent a lot of time looking at courses. I have a list here that seems to be a good selection. Cost is a consideration but not necessarily a limitation. Thoughts on my choices (in no particular order)? I'm staying in Surfside Beach.

Grande Dunes

Thistle

King’s North

River Club

Tidewater

Arrowhead

True Blue

I agree with t4t3r - you must play Dunes Golf and Beach Club. The service, scenery, and condition of the course are amazing. I played Tidewater and was underwhelmed mainly by the crappy tee time management/starters. The course is okay, but nothing memorable. MBN is nice (I believe King's North is MBN North Course). I didn't play the North Course but MBN has their stuff together; I played MBN West as my warmup. The course was in perfect shape and was a nice warmup.

Caledonia is on my list this time I go down at the end of July. It is supposed to be an absolutely awesome course but on the pricier side.

Glen Dornoch is also a very nice course that I would suggest. I played like s*** when I was there, but I truly enjoyed the course. It was challenging and had nice scenery. After playing 3 straight days of golf I was dead by the time I played Glen Dornoch.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. We'll see what shakes out in a couple of weeks. Wife is even talking about going a day early so I may get an extra round in.

GBB Epic 9.0*
Srixon 17*
Taylormade M1 19*
Srixon U65 20*, 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*, 54*
Taylormade Tour Spider

How early?

Tee off between 7-9 am?

Where at?

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

kids are at my in laws. i'm sitting around watching golf channel so time for a modified recap which i really don't ever do and lots of rambling!!

so with that whole discussion of long game vs. short game i thought my round yesterday was interesting. started on 10. going to start each hole's recap with where i am after "regulation"

10) pin is back right. my ball is front right. lag to 3-4 feet and i make it for par.

11) pin is middle, my ball rolled off the false front into the fairway. i hit it chutter (chip w/ putter) to like 5 feet and make it for par.

12) pin is front i'm short in the fairway with an easy shot. i hit a horrific chip to like 12 feet and make it for par.

13) i'm just off the green left but with the slope and pin location make it nearly impossible. i take a guess on the shot and hit the shot (!) but my guess was wrong. miss the 15 footer

14) 25 footer. two putt for par.

15) in the bunker left of the green with a straight forward shot hit a weak shot to 30 feet. two putt for bogey.

16) on the green not close. two putt for par.

17) right of the green on a downslope. hit a great chip to like 4/5 feet. miss it and make bogey.

18) short of the green with an easy chip to a front pin. really poor chip, miss the par putt.

1) 20 feet up the hill. make it for birdie!

2) 20 feet. weak putt like 18 inches short. par.

3) 8 foot straight putt. make it for birdie.

4) bunker. hit it to a foot. par.

5) short of the green in the fairway. hit a really weak chip. two putt for bogey.

6) balled rolled off a false front so i'm short of the green in the fairway. *pause here for an observation that has taken me a while to figure out*

one difference i've noticed between places built a long time ago and places built more recently is the slopes around the edges of the green. take a hole like 5 at waverly woods. On the left hand side of that whole, it drops off pretty sharply off the green. the green itself is "flat". so i always played my essentially all my short game shots to hit it onto the edge (key word) of the green with the loft, spin, and/or roll to try to get it close. I really never landed a ball short of the green and i never really landed the ball way onto the green (due to green slope). a lot of the older courses the slopes start like 5-10 feet onto the green. so there is no drop off at the edge of the green. the issue is that when i play my chips like i always have at waverly i'm chipping it onto a slope. it's extremely hard to judge that shot. so either you have to pitch it farther onto the green or you have to land it short of the green. a lot of shots that look "hard" i hit a lot closer than shots that look "easy". i'm not used to, or very good at, hitting low running shots. at least i now know that the shot is to keep it low but it's still an adjustment learning these shots

6) so i hit a low running chip that wasn't hard enough to get up that slope. miss my 10 footer. bogey

7) on green not close. two putt for par.

8) like 20 yards off the green. picked a LW which wasn't the choice, pitched it onto the green, watched it come up well short and two putted for bogey

9) a yard off the green pretty close to the pin. chipped to like 2 feet. par.

so obviously i made some putts, was a mixed bag chipping, and my irons weren't great. BUT i didn't have one penalty off the tee. i didn't have one three putt. i didn't have one hole where i was off the green on regulation + 1. basically i didn't have any major screw ups so it added up to a 5 over 76. so what matter short game or long game? both. as we all know. (but long game more i had a shot at the green in regulation on every hole). i'm a mid handicap player who shoots lower scores. sigh. i want to actually be as good as my handicap says

Good write up Terp.

The problem with people who overemphasize the short game is that they look at a round like that and go "if I had a great short game, I could be better".

But the big picture is that you need to be on or near every green in regulation, which means no penalties and at least getting it near the green from long. Basically no chunks, skulls, or complete sh1t shots.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Thinking back on my play yesterday, my chipping and putting were on point and so were my approaches. The approaches weren't any shorter than normal but I was just hitting everything straight.

Kicking off this dreary weekend with some cardio. I'm not hardcore enough to play in the rain. My lower back could also use the rest. Best of luck to anyone playing today!

I might actually go up to midsize MCC+4 on a couple clubs to see how I like it. I feel like when I grip the club in my fingers it is still a bit hard not to grip lightly. The guy I was playing with yesterday had midsize mcc+4 and I really liked how they felt. I figure it is an inexpensive change to try.

Played Worthington Manor yesterday morning. It is in OUTSTANDING condition. Get out there if you can. Greens running fast and hard. Shot 84 with 2 doubles and 2 3 jacks. Lipped out a couple birdie putts. I was happy just to get out in the sun

Great to hear! Got a DCGT tourney I am hosting there next Saturday. Let me know if anyone here wants to play and I can hook you with a discount code.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Played at Maryland National for the first time yesterday. Shot a consistent 90 without any horrible shots, just not enough good scoring shots. The greens are very firm and fast making all approach shots a challenge to hold. The rest of the course was in outstanding shape and the weather was near perfect. We ended up paired with a guy (my age) who was on a 'outing' with a woman (20+ years younger than guy). The woman was a beginner and would pick up after a while but it resulted in a painfully slow 5:10 round. I am not sure that she was too into the guy but both were very pleasant and fun to play with and the cheesy lines he kept feeding her had my buddy and I laughing the entire time.

Played Worthington Manor yesterday morning. It is in OUTSTANDING condition. Get out there if you can. Greens running fast and hard. Shot 84 with 2 doubles and 2 3 jacks. Lipped out a couple birdie putts. I was happy just to get out in the sun

Great to hear! Got a DCGT tourney I am hosting there next Saturday. Let me know if anyone here wants to play and I can hook you with a discount code.

Andy and I are 50/50 right now, just gotta work on the wife a bit more

Ok tomorrow starts the match play championship at SPCC. Hope the rain isn't to bad.

Purchased a new set of Cally Apex irons today. 105 gram steel S300 shafts.

Tested six different brands and none were better than the Cobras until I got to the Apex's

Tex get a pay day?

TM TI M2 - Yellow HZRDUS HC 6.5
XR16 5w - Speeder 757
Taylormade CB 3-AW
Vokey 254, 258
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

Ok tomorrow starts the match play championship at SPCC. Hope the rain isn't to bad.

Tested six different brands and none were better than the Cobras until I got to the Apex's

Good choice my friend ;).

Tex get a pay day?

I did yesterday but from another older gent.

protos F4

Had our tournament cancelled today.

I was hitting balls at the range and tried to get a couple guys to play anyway. Finally a guy says "you wanna play?"

"you joking? "

"no, I'll play".

So we headed out and got a third. Sprinkled on us on 1 and that. Was. It. Just another fun impromptu round with guys I don't normally play with.

I bogeyed 1, then 3-putt bogey, then 3 putt bogey, then I hit one to 20 feet and I'm like, "well at least I won't 3 putt it". 3 putted it. Bogeyed 5. 3 frutt on 6. Then another 3 putt on 7. Birdied 8. Bogeyed 9 for 8 bogeys, 1 birdie on the front.

Then, a completely different back side. 12 putts. 3 birdies. One bogey. 43-34. That's something. Finished bird bird.

Hope the rains held off for everyone with monte today.

Pine Ridge is just stellar right now. I played it down and didn't have one mudder. I 3 putted in part because the putting green was soaked, but the greens were running fast and perfect. Took me forever to find the speed.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Good choice my friend ;).

Tex get a pay day?

I did yesterday but from another older gent.

TM TI M2 - Yellow HZRDUS HC 6.5
XR16 5w - Speeder 757
Taylormade CB 3-AW
Vokey 254, 258
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

Had our tournament cancelled today.

I was hitting balls at the range and tried to get a couple guys to play anyway. Finally a guy says "you wanna play?"

"you joking? "

"no, I'll play".

So we headed out and got a third. Sprinkled on us on 1 and that. Was. It. Just another fun impromptu round with guys I don't normally play with.

I bogeyed 1, then 3-putt bogey, then 3 putt bogey, then I hit one to 20 feet and I'm like, "well at least I won't 3 putt it". 3 putted it. Bogeyed 5. 3 frutt on 6. Then another 3 putt on 7. Birdied 8. Bogeyed 9 for 8 bogeys, 1 birdie on the front.

Then, a completely different back side. 12 putts. 3 birdies. One bogey. 43-34. That's something. Finished bird bird.

Hope the rains held off for everyone with monte today.

Pine Ridge is just stellar right now. I played it down and didn't have one mudder. I 3 putted in part because the putting green was soaked, but the greens were running fast and perfect. Took me forever to find the speed.

City have you ever used this:

protos F4

No, but I've been meaning to. The guy I played with today told me he took it out once. A couple times I've planned on it, it was wet. I will take that out by the end of the year.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Got bored this afternoon, broke out the white nail polish to the 2-ball blade. Much better, I think it was too dark otherwise. Had been thinking of doing something like this for a while.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Monte clinic was wet. We were in a big tent with one bay to hit balls on to the range then another 3 with foam balls hitting in to the side of the tent. So we stayed dry at least, except my feet got a little miserable at one point. Learned two good things to work on during the clinic, but couldn't really work on them because of our rain setup. Made for a bit of a long day since there often wasn't much to do except listen and watch others (not that that's a bad thing entirely). If the weather had cooperated we would have had the full range for people to work on their own things during the downtime. I think we did as well as possible given the circumstances though.

Hoping tomorrow's weather will work out better, but doesn't look too promising. Looking forward to working on the things I learned today and then get some short game tips.