GPS Comparison Charts

For anyone interested in Garmin's Golflogix who may be leaning towards another unit because of the ~$350 pricing, Golfsmith has an online 15% Off coupon (promotion code: EPS752FIF) available until 12/24/07. The Golfsmith stores (in my area at least) do not carry Golflogix as 'in-store stock', so you may need to order it online. Or .... I went into the store with the promotion code and had them order it for "store delivery" so I didn't have to pay shipping. This brought the price down to ~$297. Thanks again to Charlie for putting together the comparison chart that initiated such great conversation about these products. I feel much more confident I picked out the right unit to give as a gift.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I want to say I am a idiot, moron, a money wasting s-head, etc. At least that's what the wife says, for the record, I don't agree with idiot or moron.

I received an email from iGolf a couple weeks ago for their new unit, the Neo (149.95). I bought it. I now have (had) 5 units. (see above). The first iGolf, Skygolf, the Sonocaddie, the Golflogix and the new Neo.

It would be to tedious to detail all of them, but the new unit from iGolf (Neo) is awesome. I love it. It's the size of an old pager and the screen is big enough I don't have to use glasses (Sonocaddie). It will hold 4 custom points that you can revise without having to leave the play menu. I did this in under 2 minutes on one hole. The gps on this thing is outstanding. I get a strong signal sitting on my couch - no other unit will receive a glimmer of a satellite. I played in really cold weather just to use it. Only got through 9, but I was so excited to see it in action I braved the weather. I put the Neo in my pocket with another unit and it was the only one not to lose signal. I even put it in my valuables pocket and it kept a strong signal. It comes with a belt clip and you will not realize it is there.

I have since sold the Sonocaddie and the Logix to golf buddies for 'I can't believe your selling this to me' prices. (maybe I'm an idiot). I'm giving the first iGolf to my brother. Still have the Skycaddie although I have no idea where it is, don't really care.

If anyone is still considering a gps product I would seriously consider the Neo. At $150, the incredible gps signal, the size and features you cannot beat it. I know I sound like a shill, but I seriously love this thing.

[quote name='Golfwife' post='831466' date='Dec 20 2007, 01:19 PM']For anyone interested in Garmin's Golflogix who may be leaning towards another unit because of the ~$350 pricing, Golfsmith has an online 15% Off coupon (promotion code: EPS752FIF) available until 12/24/07. The Golfsmith stores (in my area at least) do not carry Golflogix as 'in-store stock', so you may need to order it online. Or .... I went into the store with the promotion code and had them order it for "store delivery" so I didn't have to pay shipping. This brought the price down to ~$297. Thanks again to Charlie for putting together the comparison chart that initiated such great conversation about these products. I feel much more confident I picked out the right unit to give as a gift.[/quote]

Thanks for the info! I'm glad to hear they are finally dropping the price some. I missed the 12/24 window but I'll search around for other promos.

EDIT: best I can find is golfgpssource.com for $319.95 Still better then $349! They gave me a coupon code to give to my friends so GOLFGPS might snag you an extra $10 off. All they sell is golf gps units (all brands).

[size=3]New member here. I joined because I enjoyed all of your viewpoints and used the information here along with a few other resources to make my decision on whether to return the GPS my wife gave me for Christmas (Golf Buddy Plus) unopened or give it a shot.[/size]

[size=3]I decided to give it a shot and share some feed back with you.[/size]

[size=3]First, it is a nice looking compact unit. It fits nicely in the hand or pocket. The unit has a memory to store up to 1000 courses at a time. Pre-made courses are FREE on the website and seems pretty thorough (although there was one executive course in my area I found missing)[/size]

[size=3]The screen is very readable even for a guy like me that has some minor vision problems. It does have backlighting with adjustable timers and contrast. I used it tonight to map out my favorite golf range and the backlight was very helpful.[/size]

[size=3]It uses a toggle switch to move from menu to menu and feels very intuitive. I had no problem navigating even the "advanced" options without reading the entire manual.[/size]

[size=3]As mentioned above, I have a local golf range that I like very much and decided to use the built in mapping feature to map it out. There are two mapping options, the First is a simple edit/creation model that is used to add target points to an existing course or create a new course using just target points (tee box, front/center/back of green, bunkers ect), the Second is a more complex model that allows you to map a course with great accuracy including mapping the perimeters of the Tee Box and the Green. Mapping the Green is a functional factor because the unit provides for rotating greens as in the higher sky caddie models.[/size]

[size=3]I used the First basic method tonight after the range closed (with permission). It was extraordinarily easy to do. I made my custom target labels (the unit will allow up to 11 not including F/C/B of Green and Tee Box) before leaving the house and only had to stand next to the pins for a few secs and a single push of the button to make my measurements. Creation of the custom labels and measurements later took a total of less than 30 minutes.[/size]

[size=3]After using this unit I have to wonder why it is not talked about more here. It seems to have all of the best features combined. I would like to see it receive more attention as I am hoping it remains a popular choice over the next number of years (for obvious selfish reasons).[/size]

[size=3]To sum up the features I have found useful so far…[/size]

[size=3]Storage of up to 1000 courses at a time[/size]
[size=3]Free Downloads[/size]
[size=3]11 Custom Target Points per hole[/size]
[size=3]Customizable Target Point Labeling[/size]
[size=3]Greens rotation[/size]
[size=3]Backlight[/size]
[size=3]Comes with Rechargeable Batter that can be replaced by 2 AA's[/size]
[size=3]Compact[/size]
[size=3]Shot Distance Function[/size]
[size=3]Fast Satellite reception[/size]
[size="3"][/size]

Hope this helps.

I dont care which GPS is best...I just got a Bushnell Pinseeker and its great!!!

With a laser rangefinder
-Guranteed to work on any course in the world since there's no downloads or maps to get

-Don't have to pay subscription fees

-Don't have to worry about the brightness of LCD displays in direct sunlight since you have to look inside the rangefinder to see the data.

-Will know EXACT distance to the flag, bunker, or any other object (not distance to the vague front, middle and back distances to greens)

-Depending on model, will give you the "effective distance" when facing downhill and uphill shots. Say you're facing an approach shot and you got 120 yards to the flag...but its uphill, so its like 130, rangefinders will calculate the compensated distances for you...can your GPS to that??? That feature isn't USGA legal....but the technology is available...

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

[quote name='Q-Ball' post='838022' date='Dec 26 2007, 10:20 PM']I have both laser and GPS, both have their places. One or the other is not foolproof.[/quote]

Yup... I play a mountain course with several blind shots. Laser is useless on those. I carry both, but "usually" the laser stays in the bag.

[quote]New member here. I joined because I enjoyed all of your viewpoints and used the information here along with a few other resources to make my decision on whether to return the GPS my wife gave me for Christmas (Golf Buddy Plus) unopened or give it a shot.

I decided to give it a shot and share some feed back with you.[/quote]Thanks for your input, and welcome! I'm not sure what's up with all the font tags though--a little odd. As far as the glowing review, you come off like a paid poster. You sure you aren't posting advertising? I don't mean to be rude, just skeptical.

[quote]After using this unit I have to wonder why it is not talked about more here. It seems to have all of the best features combined. I would like to see it receive more attention as I am hoping it remains a popular choice over the next number of years (for obvious selfish reasons).[/quote]
Based on the feature list, it looks like a really nice unit! 1000 courses? That's really nice. As far as the popularity goes, I think there are two reason why:
1. It's ugly
2. It's expensive

I'm curious as to why your wife chose that unit? Can you give us some insight into why she got that one?

[size=3]Nope, not a paid reviewer, just a guy that tends to research things to death before buying. [/size]

[size=3]I would most likely STILL be researching and putting off buying one because of the lack of good comparative information on these things and even less on the one my wife bought me. It being a Christmas gift accelerated my decision making, and believe me, the fact that she got it right surprises me more than you. Normally I return everything I get for Christmas.[/size]

[size=3]Anyway… I golfed Superstition Springs in Mesa today and had a chance to use the Golf Buddy some more. I had a good time with it and recognized a few more features I hadn't listed. One was the somewhat accurate Greens layout that rotates per your approach. I knew about the rotation but hadn't had a chance to see the accuracy of the perimeter up until today, and I must say it was a helpful feature. The other feature I used today was the Measuring feature which can be used easily to mark off your shot lengths (a somewhat disapointing feature at times :busted2: ). [/size]

[size=3]As far as the looks go, I think you're used to seeing the original golf buddy, the Plus model is black and looks pretty cool. But I hear ya on the looks thing which shouldn't make a difference but does and is the main reason I held off on buying the Sonocaddie which had a lot of the features this one does but is feminine looking in my opinion.[/size]

[size=3]The fonts may be from transferring my thoughts over from MS Office where I can spell check.

Edit: forgot about the wife question. She was looking at units on the PGA Store website and she said the "1000 golf courses" caught her eye. [/size]

Cknott48, thanks for the update! I have to admit--1000 course is really cool. Loading courses is lame, and I could load every course in the city with that thing.

I'm tempted myself to pick one of these up, as I'm getting one for my birthday this month, but like you, I have a hard time deciding which one.

A question for you on the shot marking--after you mark the initial spot, you can continue to use the regular GPS functions until you mark the second location right? Or does the display stay in "measure mode" the whole time? I hope that makes sense.

There are some really odd mistakes on the website, it's pretty clear to me that this was not done in the U.S.
On the customer service page:
"We are service downloads courses and how can play the GolfBuddy.
If you want more information, you can take it on manuals"

Uh, what??

The download link for the manual also does not work.

PS-Assuming you are using Internet Explorer, try [url="http://www.iespell.com/"]http://www.iespell.com/[/url] for an in-browser spell check feature that works really well. It's also free for personal use. If you use Firefox, the spell checking is already built it!

There is a button on the side that toggles the display from the normal Greens + Targets, and your marked range. So what you do for example is as your standing on Tee Box you hit the side button and tell it to take a mark, you can then toggle back and use the unit in normal mode, then when you get to your ball you can toggle back to see how far you are from the Tee Box. Resetting it is up to you so you can make your marks whenever and for how long you want.

As far as the website or customer service goes, I've only used it to download all of the courses in Arizona and some in Souther Cal. I havent had to use Customer Service so I can't comment on them yet.

btw, loading all of those courses was very easy and quick. Took less than 10 minutes to check the ones I wanted and to have them all in my unit. I do have to say I like the concept of the "advanced mapping" in the event that I ever wana map out a course myself. LOL.

Hope this helps.

I wonder what Skyhawke Technologies is thinking about the Golf Buddy II featuring their patented rotating green (ie, IntelliGreen)? Do I smell a another patent infringement lawsuit in the making? I purchased a Golf Guru a little while back. When I asked them why they didn't rotate the green similar to skycaddie, their reply was that feature was patented by Skygolf. I love the quote [quote]Mapping the Green is a functional factor because the unit provides for rotating greens as in the higher sky caddie models[/quote] Hmmmmm?

[quote name='pflogger' post='843929' date='Dec 31 2007, 07:39 PM']I wonder what Skyhawke Technologies is thinking about the Golf Buddy II featuring their patented rotating green (ie, IntelliGreen)? Do I smell a another patent infringement lawsuit in the making? I purchased a Golf Guru a little while back. When I asked them why they didn't rotate the green similar to skycaddie, their reply was that feature was patented by Skygolf. I love the quote [quote]Mapping the Green is a functional factor because the unit provides for rotating greens as in the higher sky caddie models[/quote] Hmmmmm?
[/quote]

Do you think that's enforceable? Every video game I've seen does this... This is nothing new to mapping or graphic displays.

[quote name='ApexGrind' post='843952' date='Dec 31 2007, 08:12 PM']Do you think that's enforceable? Every video game I've seen does this... This is nothing new to mapping or graphic displays.[/quote]
Many patents aren't worth the paper they're printed on. This is because the USPTO is a joke. It shouldn't cost thousands of dollars to get and maintain a patent for a true invention or discovery... but since it does, they will issue a patent for almost anything (including many vagaries and general concepts) to maintain the revenue stream it generates. Trust me... I have read some real laughers like "electronic delivery of files".

[quote]Many patents aren't worth the paper they're printed on[/quote]
You're right there. Heck, SkyGolf's patent is being tested right now. We'll just have to see how that turns out. However, what it all boils down to is; the right court, the right judge, a good team of lawyers, and the funds to make it happen. If you have all that, then yes...I believe anything is enforceable!

Agreed. Like copyright and trademark, litigation is pretty much the sole determiner of patent validity. Defend it successfully once and you are in like flint.

Ignore possible infringement, or lose in litigation and you're sunk. It's funny as this kind of scenario was exactly what the USPTO was designed to help eliminate... but not any more. Too much money involved. While a patent is certainly an asset for the deep pocket guys, it provides little protection for the little guy that does not have the legal council to back it up.

[quote name='Gozz' post='849405' date='Jan 4 2008, 05:35 PM']www.bhmgolf.com has agreed to match Costco's price on the Sonocaddie of $239 with free shipping. [url="http://www.bhmgolf.com/desc.ydev?prod_id=18327"]http://www.bhmgolf.com/desc.ydev?prod_id=18327[/url] Has anyone ever purchased from them?[/quote]

You're kidding, right?
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=103328"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=103328[/url]

[quote name='BallSpinner' post='849416' date='Jan 4 2008, 07:42 PM'][quote name='Gozz' post='849405' date='Jan 4 2008, 05:35 PM']www.bhmgolf.com has agreed to match Costco's price on the Sonocaddie of $239 with free shipping. [url="http://www.bhmgolf.com/desc.ydev?prod_id=18327"]http://www.bhmgolf.com/desc.ydev?prod_id=18327[/url] Has anyone ever purchased from them?[/quote]

You're kidding, right?
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=103328"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=103328[/url]
[/quote]

Sorry, I have a two year old and don't get to read every post that comes across the site that is why I posed the question. Thank you for saving me $239 though.

Rick

that is a good price for the sonocaddie and COSTCO has a good return policy if you get a lemon and need another right away.....

I have the SG3 but would jump on the Sonocaddie if you are set on getting a gps and like the functionality and maps of the device. I would go to their website and check to be sure majority of courses you play are covered as well....but all the big names are adding more and more courses every week. Two of my courses were not covered...put in request for one and three weeks later it was professionally surveyed and available for download. before then i used a map someone made themselves on just the Fr, Ctr, Bk of the greens from tee....

Ok, I've had the unit (golfbuddy) a bit longer and some additional thoughts...

I had some questions for the company which I emailed and hadn’t heard from them for 2 weeks. I was prepared to come on here and let you all know that their Customer Support may not be up to par but decided to call them first. It turns out that they’ve changed their email address slightly (they need to correct the website asap imo). I got the new email address and sent in my questions and they responded 2 days later.

One of my questions which was also a major concern was the lack of accuracy on one of the courses (Longbow in Mesa AZ). To me if these GPS units aren’t close to 100% accurate 100% of the time then they instill doubt, and if you have doubt then the unit is next to useless. I told Customer Support about the problem with that course, and as stated above, they called me back 2 days later to say that the course had been updated for accuracy, to download it and let them know if any problems existed. I feel a ton better about this companies dedication to customer service and course accuracy.

The second question I had was around the “pin placement” function which allows you to move the pin marker around the green pictured in the unit for more accurate yardage. This function has been removed. I don’t consider this a big deal since they do show a greens outline with front/center/back yardage that rotates upon approach angle. Just don’t expect to have that feature.

Still, I consider this unit to be one of the best on the market atm, and would highly recommend it now that I have good comfort with their Customer Service.

First, I want to thank Charlie F. for his original and follow up posts. I also want to thank all who have entered comments about the various GPS units. I'm still pondering which one to purchase as a gift for my brother in South Florida and perhaps for myself as well (Southern CA). I'd appreciate updated feedback about whatever device(s) you have and how it or they function in cloudy and/or rainy conditions. Are you still happy with your purchase and do you continue to recommend it? Because this thread is so lengthy, please indicate the name of the unit you purchased.

Thanks----------GG