GPS Comparison Charts

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used the SureShot for quite awhile, and I think it's a great unit. Sturdy, color screen, and club-averaging feature make it a solid unit IMHO. The one thing I wish it had was removable batteries. I don't know how many times my golfing buddy "forgot to charge it last night". Being able to pop in a couple of AA's would have been great.

One thing I'll probably "invent" is a charging unit that I can attach to the golf cart battery. This should be pretty simple, and save a lot of headache for me.

I've used the SureShot for quite awhile, and I think it's a great unit. Sturdy, color screen, and club-averaging feature make it a solid unit IMHO. The one thing I wish it had was removable batteries. I don't know how many times my golfing buddy "forgot to charge it last night". Being able to pop in a couple of AA's would have been great.

One thing I'll probably "invent" is a charging unit that I can attach to the golf cart battery. This should be pretty simple, and save a lot of headache for me.

This is why I didn't get the Sureshot; because of the built in battery that you had to charge on your PC via USB/Serial cable - this sucks in my world. Also the bulk of the unit would made you look like you packed a BULGE in your pants :smilie_ping:

No seriously, the size of the unit also made me turn away from it. I need to have it in my front pocket on the course, and it seemed a bit too large for this.

I bought the Sonocaddie, because it addressed these two problems - Sonocaddie has 3 replaceable AAA batteries that can be recharged in the car or just before you have to leave your home (I have a speed charger - 15 minutes charging gives you 75% power) and the batterytime is awesome (12-14 hours). I only have to charge the batteries once every 2 weeks if I play 2-3 times a week......and the size of the Sonocaddie is micro micro compared to the Sureshot and the Skycaddie SG3/4, but the small monochrom screen sucks a bit compared to the big coloor screen on the Sureshot device.

I own the Sureshot, and it is awesome. I put it in a R7 wrench pouch, and it fits perfectly, and protects it nicely. The thing that I really like about Sureshot is that it tells you where the hazards are, such as bunkers, trees, water, etc. It makes it much easier for club selection. It may be harder to use than SkyCaddie because you have to manually switch holes, but that's no biggie.

Dropped it a couple of times and it's still ticking. Very good investment IMO.

The thing that I really like about Sureshot is that it tells you where the hazards are, such as bunkers, trees, water, etc.
What?!?! You mean other GPS products don't do this? I thought that was standard issue. The SureShot gives you not only the distance to the hazzard, but also the distance to carry it.

If the other GPS products don't have this feature, that is a serious drawback IMHO. I use this all the time to help me decide to layup, or to go over.

The thing that I really like about Sureshot is that it tells you where the hazards are, such as bunkers, trees, water, etc.
What?!?! You mean other GPS products don't do this? I thought that was standard issue. The SureShot gives you not only the distance to the hazzard, but also the distance to carry it.

If the other GPS products don't have this feature, that is a serious drawback IMHO. I use this all the time to help me decide to layup, or to go over.

MK GOlfer probably has not owned other GPS devices than his current Sureshot - so I think he just thinks this feature is what makes HIS GPS device great for him.

My Sonocaddie can tell me the distance to 6 points (which 6 points is entirely up to the owner or the guy who mapped the course) pr. hole - this could be bunkers, hazards or a group of trees etc.

Claus probably never used a sureshot, because it plots more than just 6 points... If the hole has more than 6 hazards, sureshot will show it ALL. I like it, and it does the job for me. I NEVER said that other devices didn't do this, just that I know for a fact that sureshot does.

BTW, Claus, I have many friends that own everything from SkyCaddies to Laser Scopes, so I see what they see. SG's don't show any hazards, even though they move from hole to hole automatically. The display is monochromatic, and since I'd prefer to see in color, I still like my sureshot the best.

Claus probably never used a sureshot, because it plots more than just 6 points... If the hole has more than 6 hazards, sureshot will show it ALL. I like it, and it does the job for me. I NEVER said that other devices didn't do this, just that I know for a fact that sureshot does.

BTW, Claus, I have many friends that own everything from SkyCaddies to Laser Scopes, so I see what they see. SG's don't show any hazards, even though they move from hole to hole automatically. The display is monochromatic, and since I'd prefer to see in color, I still like my sureshot the best.

MK Golfer, I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I'm not bashing on you at all. Just tried to explain why you might think that this feature was great in the sureshot GPS. I came very close to byuing the Sureshot GPS because of the great color screen, but in the end the size and built in battery in the Sureshot GPS turned me away from it and made me buy the Sonocaddie GPS device. The Sonocaddie device also has flaws - no doubt !

I'm sorry if I expressed myself in a wrong manner towards you - english is not my native language. I hope everything is OK :smilie_ping:

I just picked up a SkyCaddie SG3 from a board sponsor (great deal!) and have no regrets. Not sure why someone said the SG's don't list hazards, mine shows all hazards/bunkers/etc (both distance to and distance to carry). I chose the SG3 over the SG4 due to the fact that I wanted to be able to use regular batteries and not worry about remembering to charge the unit.

The ability to move the crosshairs to particular points on the green was an attractive feature to me, more than the color screen of the others. The yardages I get are very close to the sprinkler heads that are marked on the 2 courses I played with it so far. I like the multiple views you can choose from as well. You can display as much or little information about the hole that you want to. Nice to have driving range yardges available too...

The only drawback is the annual subscription, but my first year was paid by the discount I was able to get.

I'm extremely happy with my decision so far. It is nice to finally have a bunch of choices in the marketplace that have enough different features to meet most everyone's needs.

MK Golfer, I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I'm not bashing on you at all. Just tried to explain why you might think that this feature was great in the sureshot GPS. I came very close to byuing the Sureshot GPS because of the great color screen, but in the end the size and built in battery in the Sureshot GPS turned me away from it and made me buy the Sonocaddie GPS device. The Sonocaddie device also has flaws - no doubt !

I'm sorry if I expressed myself in a wrong manner towards you - english is not my native language. I hope everything is OK :smilie_ping:

No worries, Claus. You're a good member of this board, and well respected. Didn't mean to take offense to what you were saying. I must have been in a bad mood from all the rain we're getting, and not being able to play golf for weeks!

• 2 weeks later...
Does the sky caddie allow you to map a course - then share it with someone else??

No....but they will say yes.

Explanation...

You can map a course (three green points only). You can share it with other users....but...

the ONLY way to share it is to upload it to sky caddie, and at some undetermined time

they *might* post it for others to download. I'm not sure what they do with the file before (if) they

post it...but my experience is it's not fast.

Actually, my experience was the couple of courses I uploaded..never got posted.

Don't know if it was because they were in the process of mapping the courses themselves...

but it was more than a month before the first of these courses (pro-mapped) showed up

for use after I sent them my versions.

So, if your looking to share with a friend for *next week*.....look elsewhere.

Rich

i just picked up a Sonocaddie at TJ Maxx of all places for $135!!! since i hadn't ever heard of it, i refrained from opening it in the event i needed to return it. after reading the reviews here, i'm going to give it a go. thanks Claus and Charlie_F.

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

i just picked up a Sonocaddie at TJ Maxx of all places for $135!!! since i hadn't ever heard of it, i refrained from opening it in the event i needed to return it. after reading the reviews here, i'm going to give it a go. thanks Claus and Charlie_F.

You're welcome :)

Glad someone benefitted from my review of the Sonocaddie.

I still have mine, and still find it performs excellent.

My only major complaint is the small monochrom screen, but hey the Sonocaddie is a small tiny device compared to both the Sureshot GPS (which has an excellent color screen) and the bulky Skycaddie models. I expect a revised version of it called something like Sonocaddie 2 or similar name featuring a small sharp color TFT screen like the one in the much larger and more bulky device called Surehot GPS. I hope the Sonocaddie 2 will be released within the next year - but I haven't heard anything concrete about it :clapping: The fact that this device is so small that I can have it in my pants and not have to have it on my cart is great :beruo:

I couldn't walk around with either a Sureshot GPS or a Skycaddie SG4 in my pants - they are simply too big and bulky for that :black eye:

Where's the love for iGolf? You can map courses yourself, and they are stored on your computer so you never have to pay a fee if you don't want to. You can map 8 points per hole besides front, center, and back of the green. And you can email course files to someone else. And if you map a course that's not in their database, they give you free downloads. They've always responded to my emails promptly. It may not have the most bells and whistles, but I think it's the best unit out there.

I've been mulling finally taking the golf GPS plunge myself and this is such a great thread!

Personally I'm heavily leaning toward the Golflogix unit because of the Garmin rep, the ease of use and the existing and potential features. Thanks to those who posted the emails regarding new features they claim will be added by year-end.

One thing on their Golflogix site that has me interested in under "the future" tab where they describe some of their plans for shot tracking and statistical analysis that they also claim they have patents for. I think something like that in addition to the distances will be a great asset in a GPS unit.

Hello Charlie,

Thanks for all your informative posts. I have just bought a Sonocaddie off Ebay version 2.3. I am having difficulty following their instructions for setting up a new course. Wondering if you or Claus could help. Standing on the first tee what do I do before proceeding to the first reference point and so on to the front of the green?

Thanks.

Mapping instructions for the Sonocaddie GPS device

I've mapped 5 courses on my Sonocaddie myself. I like mapping it myself because that way I know the reference points are spot on.

BUT yout really have to be patient to map a course - if a normal rounf of 18 holes takes 2.5-3 hours, expect to use at æeast 1-2 hours extra if you're mapping the course while playing it. I did map one of the course without playing it - and it took me 2 hours to map 18 holes.

You map a new course by reading the manual :cheesy: :D .........kust kidding :beruo: :beruo:

You start by entering the menu called "map new" and enter the name of the course and press the "Save" button. Then it automatically takes you to Hole 1 - by using the [right joystick button] and [left joystick button] you can scroll thorugh the holes you want to record and enter in to. I guess the best thing is to start out at hole 1 ;)

You are on the first tee and you do nothing here - nothing !

From the first tee you try to locate the first point, that you will enter into the unit as a reference point/Mapping point. You have a total of 6 reference point spr. hole to map - the 2 of them being the front green and back green - so this gives you a total of 4 reference points befreo you reach the green.

A good ide would be to go through the course inside your head, BEFORE you arrive at the course and then you only have to map the reference points on the spot using the GPS satellites. I did it this way, and it saved me a lot of time on the course. I simply did the recordings of the all the reference points at home - of course with no GPS reception, but you can still record all the reference points for each hole at home, with no GPS signal avilable. What I then do when I arrive at the course ready for mapping the course is that I just stand in the positions I mapped at home (using my memory and imagination) and wait for 5-10 seconds (so the GPS coordinates will be as precise as possible) and then I press EDIT and record and Voilá - I recorded a mapping point.

Let me give you an example, if you don't follow what I'm trying to explain here :)

I visualize hole number 1 on a course I want to map the next day. I start by entering the menu called MAP NEW and then enters the name of the course, I want to map the next day - i.e. West lake golf course. Then I press the SAVE button and the device enters into hole number 1 automatically on the course that I want to map. I'm still sitting at home with a cold beer in my hand :) Hole number 1 on this course is a PAR 5 and has one bunker on the left 250 yards out, a small water hazard to the right 300 yards out, a small group of trees 400 yards out to the right and a green side bunker to the left. This is 4 reference points. Then there is always the front of the gren and the back of the green - a total of 6 reference mapping points, the maximum the Sonocaddie can map pr. hole. If a certain hole has more than 6 reference points, you have to choose the ones you find is most important to you. For instance if a hole has a dog leg, a reference point for laying up in the corner of this dogleg would be a very nice and usable reference point.

When I've visualized the course in my head and decided which reference points/hazards/bunkers/water/trees I want to map, I now start the mapping by simply choosing the SELECT button. I now see the Hole 1, but it looks empty - I can only see the a green on the top of the screen and the rest is empty - this is because there haven't been entered any kind of reference point/mapping points yet. This is what I have to do now. I press the EDIT button to the right of the screen,

and I now enters the first reference point - the first point was the bunker to the left, you have 3 rows and 6 columns fpr entering the reference points on the sonocaddie. The 6 columns is of course because the unit only can handle 6 mapping points, as i just stated, the 3 rows for each of the 6 points are for left, middle and right position on the course, so you can see if the hazrd is to the left, to the right or in the middle on each hole you play.

The bunker was to the left, so I use the joystick to navigate the cursor to the left. You then press the SELECT button and a new screen on the sonocaddie pops up with small symbols for bunker, water hazards and other stuff. You can choose bunker front and bunker back, depending on if you would like to map the front of this bunker hazard or the back side of this bunker - depending on you think you can hit ovet he bunker or you want to know the lay up position in fornt of the bunker. This is why I like to map my own courses - we all hit different shots at different length. My driver average is 275-280 yards, and a guy who hits his driver 295 on average might want to know the distance to the backside of a bunker, while I want to know the distance to the front of the bunker - if the bunker is a BIG long bunker, these details are of quite some importance. I therefore use the joystick to find the Bunker Front Icon and then I press the [RECORD] menu button. Now I see the Hole 1 again, but now it has bunker to the left in the overview - the bunker I just made. Next point is the water hazrd to the right. I once again use the joystick to navigate the cursor one up and then to the right, so the cursor now is situated to the right row and in number 2 column. I hit the [sELECT] button and chooses the water hazard icon - you once again can choose between "water front" and "water back". I choose "water back" and press the [RECORD] menu button. I now see the bunker to the left anf the water to the right on the Hole 1, I'm mapping still sitting at home. I continue this precess until hole number 1 has been mapped.

When I'm done with the first hole, I press the [ECS] button until I see the screen with Hole 1 on. I then press the joystick to the right and en ters Hole 2 and maps that hole. When I'm done with all 18 holes, I press [ECS] button to get out of the menu and the Sonocaddie ask "Save changes to the course" - of course you press the YES button - otherwise all the mapping is a waste of time and have gone down the drain.

I don't have to wait for GPS signal at home, when I map a course, so the mapping takes 15 minutes for 18 holes. This way I won't have to spent the same amount of time mapping the course, when I'm actually there - and this will keep the pace up a bit, while mapping it LIVE on the golf course, if you di it like I do - mapping the course at home first, without the GPS coordinates, and then edit each mapping point on the actual course the next day.

When I arrive at the course the next day, I make sure to turn on the Sonocaddie on the range - it has to be turned on for at lest 15 miniutes before I start to play and map the course - just to be sure it will work. I hit my tee shot from tee number 1 on hole number 1 and then I enter into the menu called the name of the course I mapped on the Sonocaddie yesterday, West Lake Golf Course. I the press the [PLAY] button and see Hole 1 pop up on the sreen. I press [sELECT] and I an overview of the hole 1, I mapped yesterday. I make sure the Sonocaddies communicates with at least 6 satellites (you see the number of satellites on the top left corner of the screen) and walks up to the first reference point I mapped yesterday. Now I only have to edit the reference point and make sure I get the satellites to coordinate the point. I walk up to the first point and stand still for 5-10 seconds so the satellites catch my position. I press [EDIT] on the hole 1 screen and navigates with the joystick to the first bunker on the left (left row, first column), I press [sELECT] and finds the symbol for the bunker Front and hits the [RECORD] menu button - just like I did the evening before at home. The only difference is that now the GPS works and the satellites has caught my position and entered the co-ordinates for my position. I then walk on, while playing my next shot and runs over to next mapping point, the water hazard and do the same thing all over again. It is a lot of trouble, but once it's done, you never think about this process ever again and it simply just works and you know inside yourselæf, that you did your own mapping and it's precise and accurate :)

Remember that you shall NOT enter any co-ordinates for the tee box. Many people can't understand why they don't have to enter their position at the first tee. I try to explain that you have to think from the green to the tee box and from the tee box to the green. You have to think 180° reversed. Once you get the refe´rence points/mapping points for the green back and green front, it automaticlly makes the position for the middle of the green and no matter where you are on the course, it will know the distance to the green on that particular hole you currently have selected.

I hope this will help you map your own course with your Sonocaddie - it sounds really complicated and I guess it also is at first :black eye: :clapping: , but once you get the hang of it, it's quite simple :cheesy: ;)

I'm a bit of a computer geek, so maybe it just seems easy to me, but if your used to menu's in cellulars and on computers, this really is no hazzle at all :tease:

Good luck with your Sonocaddie :hi:

I've been mulling finally taking the golf GPS plunge myself and this is such a great thread!

Personally I'm heavily leaning toward the Golflogix unit because of the Garmin rep, the ease of use and the existing and potential features. Thanks to those who posted the emails regarding new features they claim will be added by year-end.

One thing on their Golflogix site that has me interested in under "the future" tab where they describe some of their plans for shot tracking and statistical analysis that they also claim they have patents for. I think something like that in addition to the distances will be a great asset in a GPS unit.

I had a Golflogix and returned it. I really did like the unit and loved the size of the display characters. The sole reason for the return was the lack of references of traps, hazards, etc. Presently they only give you three besides the green yardages. As an example, on a course that I play the third hole is a par 5. Once you reach the FW it starts giving yardages to the green. That is OK except that between the drive and the green there were two sets of traps to either lay up to or fly over. The distance between both sets is about 50-60 yds. My main interest in a GPS unit was mainly yardages to hazards, traps etc to enable a proper layup yardage. That type of thing was quite the norm.

The company was a gem to deal with but I could not get any guarantee as to how quickly they were going to change their philosophy on mapping the courses. You are kind of at the mercy of the person that does the mapping of the courses.They did indicate however that there would be changes coming in the future.

If they were to upgrade how they do things I would get one again in a heartbeat.

• 1 month later...

I just purchased a sky caddie SG3. After spending 3 days trying to get it to register on the web site I am returning the thing in total frustration. TOO late I have read the post on terrible service and very difficult web site. The tech support spent 2 hours on the phone with me after I was on hold for 1 hour and 11 minutes. He discussed weather and every thing else but he knew very little about the proble, he finally decided after we completely uninstalled my Norton and my wireless router that it must be my internet provider. I spent an hour on the phone the next day with my internet provider that could find no problem with my computer. We tried insatlling and registering the sky caddie on my laptop still no way and finally tried on an old HP computer, stll no way to even get the @%&&*&^^ to register so today it is going back.

After reading these reviews I am leaning towards the Garmin. I don't mind an annual fee but I hate dealing with a computer issue, any thoughts? I am not a computer wizard but this is the FIRST time I have not been ablt to install and use a device.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

BTW... having had the GolfLogix for a while I can give you the following corrections for your chart:

1.) OEM Courses are editable in the sense that you can correct yardages if they are off.

2.) The unit can hold 10 courses.

3.) Downloaded courses are stored on your computer.

4.) There are currently over 11,000 courses available.

nice chart ...great work

I've narrowed my selction down to Garmin Golf Logix and Sonocaddie.

Anybody tried both of them and have a comment/advice?

What's the latest veriosn of the Sonocaddie software 2.3 or 2.5?

Where the heck can you buy one of them?

Thanks

i believe the most recent firmware for the sonocaddie is 2.5.

where to buy?

http://www.clubchamp.com/GPS/Sonocaddie.htm

ebay

amazon

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

I too have found this chart and conversation useful.

I have seen the Golf Buddy plus mentioned only slightly and yet it appears to be one of the better buys on paper.

No annual fee, 1000 course storage, intelligreen like feature etc.

Any thoughts or users out there?

This seems like a good buy, but they are relatively new which makes me cautious. Also, I have emailed them twice to two different email addresses on their site and have yet to get a reply in two weeks. I have requested a few courses and no reply. A phone call to them with questions netted responses that sounded like someone reading me a sales brochure and not answering questions...makes me think their customer service is no better than the reported service from Skygolf??

I'm leaning toward the SG3 if the Golf Buddy doesn't pan out....all the major courses I play are already mapped and they've been around the longest...but I sure would like to carry more than 10 courses on the unit sine I travel the SE and although I agree that 50 bucks isn't too bad to have unlimited yardage books available (usually 5 bucks/course) no fee is even better!!

Thanks to all who have posted.

I too have found this chart and conversation useful.

I have seen the Golf Buddy plus mentioned only slightly and yet it appears to be one of the better buys on paper.

No annual fee, 1000 course storage, intelligreen like feature etc.

Any thoughts or users out there?

This seems like a good buy, but they are relatively new which makes me cautious. Also, I have emailed them twice to two different email addresses on their site and have yet to get a reply in two weeks. I have requested a few courses and no reply. A phone call to them with questions netted responses that sounded like someone reading me a sales brochure and not answering questions...makes me think their customer service is no better than the reported service from Skygolf??

I'm leaning toward the SG3 if the Golf Buddy doesn't pan out....all the major courses I play are already mapped and they've been around the longest...but I sure would like to carry more than 10 courses on the unit sine I travel the SE and although I agree that 50 bucks isn't too bad to have unlimited yardage books available (usually 5 bucks/course) no fee is even better!!

Thanks to all who have posted.

I happened to be in the PGA Tour Superstore today and saw the GolfBuddy Plus unit. Very compact and very nice looking!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Sky Caddie SG2; went overseas and the subscription lapsed. When I re-subscribed they short changed me by starting the 12 months at the expiry date of the first subscription (May instead of August). Also, they changed the subscription packages. And, of course, they do not support Macs.

Am looking for something else, backed by a company that does not treat subscribers with distaste and which supports my Mac.

Your suggestions most welcome. Thank you.