GPS Comparison Charts

My recollection is that GolfLogix is the only unit to offer Mac native software. Others have "suggested" that their software will work on a Mac under Windows with Boot Camp or Parallels but I had no interest in purchasing a license for Windows and installing it just to use a golf GPS.

I am very happy with the hardware (very solid build; shockproof/waterproof) as it is based on the Garmin ETrex series. Software works great (under Tiger and Leopard) and downloaded courses are stored on your computer.

Last I spoke with the folks at SonoCaddie they said they were planning on a Mac version of their software... development to "start" as soon as leopard shipped. I have yet to hear anything further so I am guessing that is a ways away.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is just what I've been looking for, except I was wondering if someone would put up with a more basic question?

Clearly you have to know exactly how far you hit the ball with each club, using these devices can you measure the exact distance on a practise range? I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, I get the idea of downloading a course and the GPS maps where you are on that course. I'm more wondering if I am on a flat field in the middle of nowehere, can I get distance measurements accurate with one of these things?

I guess I'm just looking for some advice on how they actually work - I won't be playing a lot of courses each year - maybe 7/8 a year - the distances/yardages are the key for me.

Charlie:
I was in the process of building my own comparison chart when I found yours. Excellent! Thank you.

I have read many horror stories about SkyCaddie at the SandTrap site: [u]http://thesandtrap.com/equipment/accessories/skycaddie_review#comment-8370[/u] Anyone doing research should check out the posts in this link. I have no connections to any mfr. - I'm just a golfer that wants a decent unit. If you get a Sky Caddie, you should know what you are getting into. No way I want to deal with those guys, even though the SG5 looks really nice.

The SonoCaddie looks like a very good way to go. One question is: Will I need my reading glasses to read that small display? That would be a real pain. The larger display is a definite plus for the Logix (and SkyCaddie, to be fair.)

Has anyone used the SonoCaddie with their Mac? (Via Boot Camp, Parallels or VMware Fusion??)

I guess I should try to find out from SonoCaddie if they have plans for a new version.
To all of you posters, thanks for the info you've passed on to all of us looking for a unit. Claus, you are the man for all your posts. Keep up the good work.

[quote name='Slugsy' post='798085' date='Nov 21 2007, 02:31 PM']Clearly you have to know exactly how far you hit the ball with each club, using these devices can you measure the exact distance on a practise range?...I'm more wondering if I am on a flat field in the middle of nowehere, can I get distance measurements accurate with one of these things?[/quote]
Yes, this would work for the ShureShot GPS, and I assume any other GPS with a shot measurement function. You would have to be able to be on both sides of your target--measure once from where you are hitting, and then measure again from where you want to land. This would give you a pretty precise distance.

Also, you could create your own "course" of your practice area, and put in yardages to flags, targets, whatever. Once you did that, you could recall it when you practice. But again, you have to be able to physically stand where you want to take the measurements. At the driving ranges around here, that would be impossible without getting hit by someone else's shot!

Also, someone mentioned that SkyCaddie had the driving range flags programmed into a few of their courses too. That's pretty cool.

Charlie:

I was in the process of building my own comparison chart when I found yours. Excellent! Thank you.

I have read many horror stories about SkyCaddie at the SandTrap site: http://thesandtrap.com/equipment/accessories/skycaddie_review#comment-8370 Anyone doing research should check out the posts in this link. I have no connections to any mfr. - I'm just a golfer that wants a decent unit. If you get a Sky Caddie, you should know what you are getting into. No way I want to deal with those guys, even though the SG5 looks really nice.

The SonoCaddie looks like a very good way to go. One question is: Will I need my reading glasses to read that small display? That would be a real pain. The larger display is a definite plus for the Logix (and SkyCaddie, to be fair.)

Has anyone used the SonoCaddie with their Mac? (Via Boot Camp, Parallels or VMware Fusion??)

I guess I should try to find out from SonoCaddie if they have plans for a new version.

To all of you posters, thanks for the info you've passed on to all of us looking for a unit. Claus, you are the man for all your posts. Keep up the good work.

Can't answer the Mac question, but Sonocaddie has 2 distance display modes: (1) all the mapped points - that has pretty small fonts; and (2) just back/center/front of the green - that is pretty large font.

ad1.gif

I have purchased the Sonocaddie, but have yet to use it on the course. I have a winter golf vacation in Florida(I live in Minnesota) and 3-4 of the courses were not mapped. Some were already mapped.

I requested they be mapped and they responded in a few days indicating they need a scorecard/layout of these courses to complete it.

Is this normal? I would think it should be there responsibility to get this information. Even if I get it to them, how accurate would it be?

Just wondering if others have had this happen.

Thanks!

[quote name='[email protected]' post='800176' date='Nov 23 2007, 05:12 PM']I have purchased the Sonocaddie, but have yet to use it on the course. I have a winter golf vacation in Florida(I live in Minnesota) and 3-4 of the courses were not mapped. Some were already mapped.

I requested they be mapped and they responded in a few days indicating they need a scorecard/layout of these courses to complete it.

Is this normal? I would think it should be there responsibility to get this information. Even if I get it to them, how accurate would it be?

Just wondering if others have had this happen.

Thanks![/quote]I was looking at the Sonocaddie today. It looks like they do all of their mapping via satellite imaging (like Google Earth). It's a tough call on how accurate that is. I guess someone who has used one can better decide. I would like to see how the sonocaddie compares with a Skycaddie or other "professionally" mapped course would do.

So they need the scorecard, layout, so they can make out which hole is which, and what par is supposed to be. I suppose for no subscription fee, you can't complain too loudly about free.

I recently bought a Sonocaddie and my home course was satellite mapped. I was skeptical but when I used it, I found it to be surprisingly accurate. So far i've only found 2 reference points which i've felt needed to be amended and these were both less than 5 yards out. One was a fairway bunker and one was the back of a green.

It has given me confidence to trust the device on a new course as I think the satellite mapping is accurate enough. Obviously it is better to have a course mapped in person but even in this situation there is still some subjectivity in the mapping points.

For the price, i'm so impressed with the Sonocaddie. I think it's great VFM.

[quote name='stevestrike' post='800236' date='Nov 23 2007, 01:54 PM']I was looking at the Sonocaddie today. It looks like they do all of their mapping via satellite imaging (like Google Earth). It's a tough call on how accurate that is. I guess someone who has used one can better decide.[/quote]
While I don't have a Sonocaddie, I do a GolfLogix and these are said to have their courses mapped the same way. My first few rounds had me second guessing the GPS with both sprinklers and a laser rangefinder, but the GPS was always within a yard or three. I don't know what the resolution of the georeferenced maps that are being used is, but it seems to be adequate (or at least within the deviation of the GPS itself).

It is also worth noting that there can be discrepancies introduced with device based mapping as well. I know you disagree with this as we have had this discussion before, but with the positioning errors with GPS being random, it is entirely possible that the mapping GPS was off -3 at any given point/time, and you on the course another time with yours being off +3 for that same point.

In any event, I am sure the OEMs will extol the virtues of their various mapping procedures, and I'm sure each have their pros and cons.

BTW, if anyone here is really interested in the resolution available in georeferenced maps, I know a couple of folks at the USGS that use our software that could probably tell me.

[quote name='Gxgolfer' post='550231' date='May 2 2007, 11:54 PM']I chose the iGolf because of:

Reuseable batteries
USB uploading of courses
Battery life

Good Chart Charlie.[/quote]

I agree,

I like my IGolf because of the custom mapping points i can enter & cost of the unit. It fits my needs. I went to reusable batteries because i was going through batteries every 2 rounds. If i was to change anything i would make the screen a little brighter in day light and have some kind of technology that factored slope.

mcca

[quote name='dg0673' post='806053' date='Nov 28 2007, 09:04 PM']Charlie, et al:

Does the Sonocaddie have a lit screen (backlight)? The pictures in the website look very clear but not sure how easy it is to read the small screen outdoors[/quote]
the Sonocaddie screen is NOT backlit but with the available contrast adjustment i've found no issues reading the screen outdoors (even in bright sunlight).

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

[quote name='stevestrike' post='807160' date='Nov 29 2007, 03:36 PM']I'm not really sure what that is, but I was asking a serious question.[/quote]

And I was giving a serious answer.

It's a headlamp. Something you would probably need if you are golfing at night. Although, I'm not sure why you would be golfing at night.

You didn't give any answer, you just posted a picture that is hard to tell what it is.

You've never heard of or played night golf? We play all the time, and I would need something that is readable in dark conditions.

[url="http://www.beaconlakesgolf.com/"]http://www.beaconlakesgolf.com/[/url]

[url="http://www.hillcrestnightgolf.com/"]http://www.hillcrestnightgolf.com/[/url]

[quote name='stevestrike' post='807306' date='Nov 30 2007, 09:29 AM']You didn't give any answer, you just posted a picture that is hard to tell what it is.

You've never heard of or played night golf? We play all the time, and I would need something that is readable in dark conditions.

[url="http://www.beaconlakesgolf.com/"]http://www.beaconlakesgolf.com/[/url]

[url="http://www.hillcrestnightgolf.com/"]http://www.hillcrestnightgolf.com/[/url][/quote]
I'm living right on the equator and can read the Sonocaddie just fine under noon sunlight. I've also used the Sonocaddie at night (night golf at [url="http://www.suteraharbour.com/"]http://www.suteraharbour.com/[/url]) and you can read it fine under floodlights.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Charlie! I wanted to surprise my husband with a golfing GPS device for Christmas. I originally thought I would get a SkyCaddie - mostly because that is the only one with which I was familiar. Did I say only one? SG1 - 5? I had no idea which model to get. I went online to do a bit of research.... and boy was I overwhelmed. I was lost; I had no idea where to begin. SkyCaddie, iGolf, GolfLogix, GolfGuru, Sureshot, SonoCadde...????? I am not a golfer (although I am pretty good at the Tiger Woods PGA game if that counts) and had no idea how to compare the devices myself. I nearly scrapped the idea all together when I found your comparison chart. THANK YOU!!!! After reviewing your chart and all the comments it generated, I decided on the GolfLogix device. A reputable company, a sturdy device that sounds easy to use and read, good customer service, I don't have to worry about looking up all courses he plays, and best of all...it sounds like the company is listening to customers and providing upgrades as the product develops. Yeah! I'll have it bought by end of day!
Now - if you could only help me out with my new car dilemma......

Very nice thanks for sharing

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

I was looking at iGolf, SureShot, and SG3...and chose SG3. First I wanted good system with lots of courses...Then I wanted good price for the functions I desired...and lastly I wanted good accuracy and reliability and a good customer service setup if something does go south.

SureShot had more functions and better display but did not have all the local courses I play and was much more expensive than I was willing to pay.

iGolf was impressive...gave me the functions I wanted. My biggest issue was the way you get to info was layered sometimes and not as user friendly when walking or riding around between shots. Cant remember if it is iGolf or just Sonocaddie but one uses aerial imagery to map their courses so they are only as accurate as the person doing the imagery analysis....and as accurate as the date of the image as courses change, trees grow, etc. I liked their price though....

Went with SG3...yes it has annual subscription if you want to do anyting other than map F,B,C on greens....but the money I saved from Overstock.com paid for my first year of service. And honestly, it is about the same as a box of midpriced balls so if I can afford 20-30 bucks for a YEAR of unlimited STATEWIDE downloads then I should not be playing golf when a box of balls will be from $25-55 depending on brand not to mention green/cart fees.

I also liked that the SG3 uses 2 AA batteries... Why? Because I will forget to charge the thing after a round or two and then when I am at course ready to get cart I will notice batteries are low or dead and be stuck. With SG3 I just plop in some AA batteries from bag or buy a set and am good to go. I also liked the number of items mapped on the 4-star courses...very very detailed mapping.

So Sureshot lost out due to price.....iGolf lost out due to mapping process they use and the annual fee was a wash with the price I got from Overstock.

[quote name='Solutions Etcetera' post='651913' date='Jul 25 2007, 10:22 AM']These things are remarkably simple and remarkably priced $300 - $400!... and their software support seems to be an afterthought at best... (not to mention some requiring annual subscriptions over and above their exorbitant price).

You can buy a waterproof, 12 channel WAAG enabled hand held capable of storing 500 or more waypoints from Garmin for under a hundred bucks. I can't help but feel a little "reemed" by the current Golf GPS offerings (the same way I would about spending $500 on a driver IMHO) just because they feel the golf market will bear it.[/quote]

The core value is in the course mapping. The yearly updated disk for my Navtec unit in my car costs $200.

[quote name='rrd' post='688454' date='Aug 20 2007, 08:31 PM']i just got a bluetooth gps unit, and it works great with my palm tungsten t5 pda

and from what ive seen theres a few different applications i could use
im torn between the igolfgps software, starcaddy or intelligolf

they all seem to do about the same thing, anyone have any experiences with any of these?[/quote]

This is not going to be much help, but maybe a data point. I've used intelligolf for years on a couple of palm devices (currently my Treo). I have not used the GPS feature for yardages (on a treo it would require an external gps unit) and only used it for score keeping, stats, and BETS. There is a learning curve but as you get used to it you appreciate the user interface more and more. Very solid. The stats are comprehensive. The PC client is very good as well. The course database us huge. Users can upload to the site where everyone else can download -- don't know about the GPS mapped courses. I usually have 7 different 1-1 bets with 2 guys and we have some team match or wolf or something going with all four. It keeps track of all the bets too :).

I'm surprised that no one has come out with the ultimate device including GPS, Range finder, and stats in a single unit. Should be able to get all that in the form factor like the Pinseeker.

[quote name='Slugsy' post='798085' date='Nov 21 2007, 10:31 AM']Clearly you have to know exactly how far you hit the ball with each club, using these devices can you measure the exact distance on a practise range? I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, I get the idea of downloading a course and the GPS maps where you are on that course. I'm more wondering if I am on a flat field in the middle of nowehere, can I get distance measurements accurate with one of these things?[/quote]

The answer is no. The GPS units work by determining YOUR location (coordinates). Then, knowing your current location, it can display distance to other specified coordinates. The problem on the "range" you describe is that you don't know the coordinates of the point where your ball just landed -- so no distance. The other responder was pointing out that you can map the range but you would have to walk out there to do it. You might walk out and save the coordinates for the sticks on the range. A laser rangefinder, on the other hand, bounces a laser beam off the target to determine distance. You would be able to determine the distance of each shot you hit by targeting the position of your ball or any other object.

[quote name='stevestrike' post='806574' date='Nov 29 2007, 07:07 AM'][quote name='drpino' post='806359' date='Nov 29 2007, 02:45 AM']the Sonocaddie screen is NOT backlit but with the available contrast adjustment i've found no issues reading the screen outdoors (even in bright sunlight).[/quote]
How about at night?[/quote]

Displays like the Sonocaddie (standard black and white? LCD) will get better and better the brighter it gets. If you can read your lcd display watch without pressing the backlight button you will be able to read the other. They work by light passing through the lcd display and bouncing off a reflective backing. Basically the lcd crystals flip over to block the light forming characters. With backlit displays the light is generated from behind the display or the elements themselves. These will be overwhelmed to some extent by bright sunlight. They don't have to be but it's a battery draw thing. Generating enough light to overcome direct sunlight is a battery drainer.

and I got to say this is an OUTSTANDING thread. I'm not even considering a GPS and read through every post :)

Yes... and the disk for my Eclipse is $300 (which is ridiculous IMHO). But that includes millions of waypoints with significantly more info on each, and very sophisticated software related to routing and display control. Not a real apples to apples comparison.

A typical course map is about a hundred waypoints, and has the bulk of its data in long encrypted tags for the coordinates and expiration dates, and for every unit I have seen the software is crude at best.

You can now buy mobile GPS units with full color displays, mapping data for an entire continent in 2D and 3D perspectives, auto routing with traffic information, and more for less money than many of the golf models... and the maps do not expire should you not choose to renew you yearly subscription.

So while I own one, I stand by my original assessment that these things offer remarkably little functionality and sophistication when compared to similarly priced units in other markets. Comparing a Garmin c510 ($300 street) to the $400+ SG5 is like comparing a laptop to a hand held calculator.

Perhaps the USGA is a big reason for why the current offerings are so pedestrian, I don't know. But I am encouraged by the added functionality of the SureShot, and the "Future" section at the GolfLogix site, but this stuff is remarkably slow in coming. My gut feeling is that the companies offering Golf GPS are small shops without the resources to design from the ground up.