side saddle putters - what putter are you using?

brentflog

6 hours ago, CanPuttWillPutt2 said:

Soooooo. Anyone had the balls to try a side saddle chipper? Or is that a step too far?

When I first tried side saddle back in 2015, the pro shop at the Duke University course carried both the GP putter and a chipping club that PR Dionne was also making.  I tired both extensively on the practice green and bought the putter, but the chipper just didn’t “make sense” to me.  It didn’t have the same natural feel as putting, I suppose because you are hitting the ball at least a little harder and with more body movements?  I’m not sure.  But it felt like I was reaching behind me with the top hand, uncomfortably so.

I think PR Dionne perhaps is affiliated with Duke in some way; he plays there regularly and has “converted” several of his regular playing partners to side saddle, so there’s a bit of a colony there, so to speak.  But they no longer carry his putters in the shop.

11 hours ago, bluedot said:

Correct.

After some experimenting in my cellar....I decided to only replace the front two weights.

Make the putter lighter, but not as light as replacing all 4 weights.

I emailed Bobby Grace and he said there shouldn't be any performance changes in the putter doing that.

Next step is to take it on the course and see how it works.

Hope is to improve my lag putting with a lighter putter and some better feel.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 6:12 AM, BigEx44 said:

After some experimenting in my cellar....I decided to only replace the front two weights.

Make the putter lighter, but not as light as replacing all 4 weights.

I emailed Bobby Grace and he said there shouldn't be any performance changes in the putter doing that.

Next step is to take it on the course and see how it works.

Hope is to improve my lag putting with a lighter putter and some better feel.

I still haven't been able to golf outside yet.

But was able to take my putter to my local Sim.......

And I don't know if it was a coincidence or not - but I made more 10+ foot putts than I have all winter.

Lagging felt pretty good too.

Hmmmmm.....I might be onto something here......can't wait to get the lighter putter outside.

I screwed up!

Last Saturday, I was at Pinehurst, and noticed a guy on the putting green with a BG F22, including the very distinctive BG logo grip.  Watched for a moment, and sure enough, he was putting face on. 

I couldn’t resist, so I went over and we talked for a few minutes about the method, the putter, and so on, before I left for my tee time on #5.  He had just gotten the putter a day or two earlier, and said he’d been putting face on for a few weeks.

Afterwards, I realized that I should have asked if he was on this thread, or at least aware of it, but I just didn’t think of it in the moment; I choked!

So if you’re him and reading this, I hope it went well, and that you’re enjoying the putter!

• Like 2

Has anyone tried the Mezz.1 as a side saddle yet?  Seems to be the only thing thats come out recently that I'd think could fit the bill as a side saddle.

It's very tempting to try, but the $600+ price tag to get it fancied up a little bit is not all that tempting.  

Also, finally got rid of my 2 piece Super Stroke grip on the F22 and went back to the basic small black 2 piece grip and its night and day different, in a good way...

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

4 hours ago, J_Tizzle said:

Has anyone tried the Mezz.1 as a side saddle yet?  Seems to be the only thing thats come out recently that I'd think could fit the bill as a side saddle.

It's very tempting to try, but the $600+ price tag to get it fancied up a little bit is not all that tempting.  

Also, finally got rid of my 2 piece Super Stroke grip on the F22 and went back to the basic small black 2 piece grip and its night and day different, in a good way...

I had the same guess and the same reservations about the Mezz.  I’d have to see one in person and see what it looks like soled before I’d drop those dollars.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bluedot said:

I had the same guess and the same reservations about the Mezz.  I’d have to see one in person and see what it looks like soled before I’d drop those dollars.

@labgolf we have a few volunteers here if you want to see the Mizz tested out as a side saddle :).

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

22 hours ago, J_Tizzle said:

What new grip did you put on your F2?  I need to replace mine shortly.

And loving my new lighter F22.  Replacing the two front 30g weights with two 13g weights really seems to have helped my lag putting (through my first 4 rounds this year only one 3 putt green)

58 minutes ago, BigEx44 said:

What new grip did you put on your F2?  I need to replace mine shortly.

And loving my new lighter F22.  Replacing the two front 30g weights with two 13g weights really seems to have helped my lag putting (through my first 4 rounds this year only one 3 putt green)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192169767336?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D580c462c8d70460abab2fa556b182d29%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D384485203553%26itm%3D192169767336%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DTacki-mac&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A36dbfaf1-d075-11ec-9723-02895b0cc6e7|parentrq%3Aae91e7121800a64d71f93779fff9f718|iid%3A14

It's just this little basic one.  I like it because it doesn't have a seem on it like the SS does, and its firm unlike the Winns.  Those are about the only 3 2-piece grips I can find anymore.  I actually just took 2 of the  front weights completely out of my F22 to lighten it up just for a change of pace because not as much was falling.  Quick and easy solution for a different feel to get some confidence back.  

Little help, Been trying sidesaddle for the last month, spent many hours on the putting green and recently been using on the course. My last few rounds I am aware that I have missed a great  many putts just skimming the right side of the cup especially many short ones 6 feet and in.

Can it be my set up is off, ball to far forward, ball to far back, ball to far away, ball to far in, my grip 0n the club, been trying many different grips, pencil, grip, palm in back of putter like tossing ball such as how bomar putting site shows, hand on front of putter with palm facing back. I have also tried different stances, right foot slightly in front, feet parallel, left foot slightly forward. Could it be the length of the putter, I bought 2 used  putters to experiment with one was 50 inches I had cut down to 46 inches the other is 48 inches.

Any help suggestions appreciated.

thanks

7 hours ago, mv713 said:

Little help, Been trying sidesaddle for the last month, spent many hours on the putting green and recently been using on the course. My last few rounds I am aware that I have missed a great  many putts just skimming the right side of the cup especially many short ones 6 feet and in.

Can it be my set up is off, ball to far forward, ball to far back, ball to far away, ball to far in, my grip 0n the club, been trying many different grips, pencil, grip, palm in back of putter like tossing ball such as how bomar putting site shows, hand on front of putter with palm facing back. I have also tried different stances, right foot slightly in front, feet parallel, left foot slightly forward. Could it be the length of the putter, I bought 2 used  putters to experiment with one was 50 inches I had cut down to 46 inches the other is 48 inches.

thanks

How were the putts on the practice green?

9 hours ago, mv713 said:

thanks

Only a guess, but here goes.

I don’t think this has anything to do with the putting method.  Pushed putts that miss on the right are usually the result of not releasing the putter head down the line.  This is really easy to do on shorter putts; the backswing gets too long, and the stroke is a “pop”.

You’ll have an easier time fixing this side saddle than conventional, IMO, because there is less arc in the stroke so the face isn’t as open to begin with.  Just focus on “straight back, straight thru” and take the putter head toward the hole; your backswing will shorten right away.  Think about how firmly Tour pros hit short putts.  We don’t do that, but it’s the goal, right?

One of the best things about side saddle is that the list of things that can go wrong is very, very short compared to conventional putting. A decel stroke, if that’s what this is, is common either way.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mv713 said:

thanks

I practiced for a long time today, and the only thing specific to face on putting that occurred to me is the possibility that the ball needs to be farther out front?  6-12” is what David Cook recommends, and I think farther forward is better then farther back; in addition to making it easier to look down the line, it also sort of forces you to take the putter head down the intended line.

So maybe get a ruler and set up and see how far forward the ball is, and then adjust if you need to.

9 minutes ago, bluedot said:

I practiced for a long time today, and the only thing specific to face on putting that occurred to me is the possibility that the ball needs to be farther out front?  6-12” is what David Cook recommends, and I think farther forward is better then farther back; in addition to making it easier to look down the line, it also sort of forces you to take the putter head down the intended line.

So maybe get a ruler and set up and see how far forward the ball is, and then adjust if you need to.

I 100% agree.  I'm a pretty solid 5-6" out in front of my lead foot.  I will say when pushing putts becomes a problem, it could very well be just the way the putter you're using sits at address.  When I was not using a F22/LFI putter, its much more on the toe, which peels the face off to the right.  I think thats why the gold standard for SS (at least on here) is the Bobby Grace putters and their tri sole design that doesn't impact the face at address.

On 5/11/2022 at 8:20 AM, bluedot said:

Only a guess, but here goes.

I don’t think this has anything to do with the putting method.  Pushed putts that miss on the right are usually the result of not releasing the putter head down the line.  This is really easy to do on shorter putts; the backswing gets too long, and the stroke is a “pop”.

You’ll have an easier time fixing this side saddle than conventional, IMO, because there is less arc in the stroke so the face isn’t as open to begin with.  Just focus on “straight back, straight thru” and take the putter head toward the hole; your backswing will shorten right away.  Think about how firmly Tour pros hit short putts.  We don’t do that, but it’s the goal, right?

One of the best things about side saddle is that the list of things that can go wrong is very, very short compared to conventional putting. A decel stroke, if that’s what this is, is common either way.  

On 5/11/2022 at 11:46 AM, Joe Duffer said:

@mv713, what putter are you using?

Found 2 putters at 2nd swing golf to try side saddle putters to see if this is a style of putting that would help my game. before investing in a Bobby Grace. The first is a Ping Scottsdale Pickemup L 48 inch, the ball jumps up a lot when putting a stroke on it, my guess is it has to much loft.

The second putter i purchased was in a 19.99 bargain bin, a putter I never heard of Schrader Finalizer, it was a 50 inch putter, the only thing I was able to find on it was that it was a side saddle putter and had 0 loft. It was 50 inches, looked like someone changed the shaft on the putter, shaft looks like an iron extended shaft, I had to put new grips on and had it cut down to 46 inches. this is the one I have been using as the roll is pretty smooth, the head of the putter is very similar to the Bomar putters

On 5/11/2022 at 3:50 PM, bluedot said:

Thank you, I will try that as I am standing pretty close to the ball.

Boy played yesterday and with the new grip on the F22, the fireworks came back.  Probably made 200ft worth of putts while still shooting a 75 (the pull hooks came out of no where, my most dreaded miss).  It just feels so natural on faster greens its crazy.  

On 5/13/2022 at 11:01 AM, J_Tizzle said:

Boy played yesterday and with the new grip on the F22, the fireworks came back.  Probably made 200ft worth of putts while still shooting a 75 (the pull hooks came out of no where, my most dreaded miss).  It just feels so natural on faster greens its crazy.  

I played today and had 26 putts for the round.  I honestly felt like I couldn't miss anything inside of 10 feet.  Great feeling!

• Like 1

When you putt side saddle , what do you look at as you begin your stroke, the ball or the hole or a spot on your line ???  Would that be the case in all putts, short 2-3 footers, mid range putts, long range putts???

A lot of times when i have been practicing on the putting green I have been looking at the hole and have been successful, but don't feel comfortable doing this and  not confident enough to bring it out on the course.

7 hours ago, mv713 said:

When you putt side saddle , what do you look at as you begin your stroke, the ball or the hole or a spot on your line ???  Would that be the case in all putts, short 2-3 footers, mid range putts, long range putts???

A lot of times when i have been practicing on the putting green I have been looking at the hole and have been successful, but don't feel comfortable doing this and  not confident enough to bring it out on the course.

I line up to a spot, then look at the ball during the stroke.  I’ve tried looking at the hole, but I just haven’t ever gotten comfortable with it.  I’m probably too much of a control freak to trust my stroke that much?

44 minutes ago, bluedot said:

I line up to a spot, then look at the ball during the stroke.  I’ve tried looking at the hole, but I just haven’t ever gotten comfortable with it.  I’m probably too much of a control freak to trust my stroke that much?

Same with me.  I've tried looking at the hole but could never get very comfortable with it.  I know the line I want to start ball on, so I look at the ball during my stroke and focus on getting it to start on that line (and hopefully at the correct speed)

Something kind of interesting has happened to my stroke this spring.  I've been absolutely putting lights out the last few rounds.  And that's with me totally soling the club.  I'm stroking it at the full 80* degree lie angle for all putts.  That has brought the ball back a little closer to my feet (it's still in front of my right foot a good 5 to 6 inches).  My lag putting has improved a lot and I find that, for whatever reason, my stroke on the shorter putts is firmer (more stable?) and feels much better to me.  I always tended to get a little more vertical as I got closer to hole, but not this spring.

I'll see how it goes.

39 minutes ago, BigEx44 said:

Same with me.  I've tried looking at the hole but could never get very comfortable with it.  I know the line I want to start ball on, so I look at the ball during my stroke and focus on getting it to start on that line (and hopefully at the correct speed)

Something kind of interesting has happened to my stroke this spring.  I've been absolutely putting lights out the last few rounds.  And that's with me totally soling the club.  I'm stroking it at the full 80* degree lie angle for all putts.  That has brought the ball back a little closer to my feet (it's still in front of my right foot a good 5 to 6 inches).  My lag putting has improved a lot and I find that, for whatever reason, my stroke on the shorter putts is firmer (more stable?) and feels much better to me.  I always tended to get a little more vertical as I got closer to hole, but not this spring.

I'll see how it goes.

I'll 2nd, tried looking at the hole and just lost all trust in it, so that didn't last long.  I try to be very deliberate on getting the line on my ball on my start line, and then lining up the F22 exactly in line with the line on my ball and I just stare at the back of the ball and go.