side saddle putters - what putter are you using?

brentflog

4 hours ago, Joe Duffer said:

Well....... we're waiting! 

So today was my 4th round with the Mezz; one really great putting round, one pretty poor one, and two dead average, including today.  I chart all my putts, and so far I've had more misses short, but somewhat fewer offline.  Other than leaving putts short, my default miss with the F22 tends to be to the left, especially when that's the low side; that miss is almost gone with the Mezz. 

It is a VERY different putter than the BG F22, for sure.   The Mezz feels much lighter, even though it isn't; the LAB people say that's because of the balance and no torque, and I'll defer to them on that.  SOMETHING makes it feel lighter than it is, for sure.  In the long run, I think that will be a good thing for me anyway.

Two things that I really like.  First, I like the smaller and more "conventional" head size and shape.  And I was always a fan of the LAB/Directed Force feeling that you can just let the putter release because it IS going to go down the line. 

The biggest adjustment has been the amount of feedback it gives vs the F22.  I don't think it's as forgiving as the F22, and I am VERY aware if I don't hit it on the sweet spot.  I'd also judge the sweet spot to be marginally smaller than the F22, but that's maybe the highest bar in all of golf. 

• Like 2

On 7/7/2022 at 4:01 PM, bluedot said:

So today was my 4th round with the Mezz; one really great putting round, one pretty poor one, and two dead average, including today.  I chart all my putts, and so far I've had more misses short, but somewhat fewer offline.  Other than leaving putts short, my default miss with the F22 tends to be to the left, especially when that's the low side; that miss is almost gone with the Mezz. 

It is a VERY different putter than the BG F22, for sure.   The Mezz feels much lighter, even though it isn't; the LAB people say that's because of the balance and no torque, and I'll defer to them on that.  SOMETHING makes it feel lighter than it is, for sure.  In the long run, I think that will be a good thing for me anyway.

Two things that I really like.  First, I like the smaller and more "conventional" head size and shape.  And I was always a fan of the LAB/Directed Force feeling that you can just let the putter release because it IS going to go down the line. 

The biggest adjustment has been the amount of feedback it gives vs the F22.  I don't think it's as forgiving as the F22, and I am VERY aware if I don't hit it on the sweet spot.  I'd also judge the sweet spot to be marginally smaller than the F22, but that's maybe the highest bar in all of golf. 

Can you comfortably hold the Mezz at 90*?

And bottom line:  Which do like better?  The F22 or the Mezz?

8 hours ago, BigEx44 said:

p

Can you comfortably hold the Mezz at 90*?6

And bottom line:  Which do like better?  The F22 or the Mezz?

The Mezz at 90*:  Maybe on shortish putts?  But the sweet spot is much smaller than the F22, and I don't think it would work well at all at 90* on long putts.  I fiddled around holding it at 90* this morning on the practice green before I played, but I'm still getting used to it, so I haven't tried it that way on the course; I'll get back to you on that. 

All of that said, I think the whole idea of the L.A.B. (lie angle balanced) putters probably dictates that it works best when soled, because otherwise you're changing the lie angle and adding torque.  Just a guess.

The Mezz vs. the F22:  Too early to tell, and the two are SO different that it's hard to compare.  I was a BIG fan of the lie angle balance concept back when it first came out; I really liked the Directed Force putter that I bought way back in early 2016.  It was much, much too light, but felt better on the through stroke than anything I'd ever used, before or since.  The Mezz is the same way, and I'm gaining trust in that again after a zillion rounds with the F22.  The Mezz is more like the JuanPutt than the F22, fwiw.

The F22, on the other hand, might be the most forgiving golf club I've ever owned, plus the versatility of the sole is unmatched.  My only gripe about that putter has always been the same; it feels like a bludgeon on short putts on fast greens, which I think promotes a very short stroke.  Changing out the weights helped a LOT, but there is still some of that there.

I love the look of the Mezz, and I think I'm really going to like it going forward.  My putting stats are very similar so far, so I'm optimistic about the whole thing.  And it's REALLY nice to have the F22 in the hall closet as a fall back position.

• Like 1

Hi guys - those of you that side saddle… is it feasible to shop for a used long putter to test methodology a little before getting a custom one built? I mean would it work for testing purposes?

Also, different side saddle putter mfrs are different with build philosophy. I’ve found Bobby grace, bell, Patrice Dionne gp, Bomar, L2…. Very hard to know where to start.

Any suggestions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by kevinmdowney

In the bag:

9 Degree BOM w/ Aldila NVS 65

17 Degree BOM 4 Wood w/ Aldila NVS 65

21 Degree Dynacraft Utility Iron

4-PW, 52, 56, 60 Alpha MDC Irons & Wedges w/ Apollo Acculite 95 Shafts

Star Sidewinder Midsize Grips

32” Callaway Divine Line Putter 

2 hours ago, kevinmdowney said:

Hi guys - those of you that side saddle… is it feasible to shop for a used long putter to test methodology a little before getting a custom one built? I mean would it work for testing purposes?

Also, different side saddle putter mfrs are different with build philosophy. I’ve found Bobby grace, bell, Patrice Dionne gp, Bomar, L2…. Very hard to know where to start.

That is the road I went down.  As far as using the broomstick long putters, here are a few of the mistakes I made.  avoid the lightweight putters.  If you dumped a bunch of tungsten powder down the shaft maybe they can work but i would avoid them.  This likely includes most of the ping putters.  Also, I would try to avoid offset putters.  Most of these will have a double bend shaft.  I think for side saddle the opposite is better so to start maybe just go for center shafted putters.  I wasted a bunch of money on ebay looking for the right broomstick putter to try side saddle.  In hindsight I would have been better off being patient and finding either a Juanputt or a F-22.  They are on there pretty regularly.  if you go the juanputt route I would say get a longer one (43 inches minimum).  You can always go shorter, but it is hard to go longer.  

I am sure Bluedot and BigEx will have some good suggestions as well.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kevinmdowney said:

I agree with Brentfrog.  If I were to do it over again, I'd probably start with an "adjustable putter" until I figured out what length I'm most comfortable with.  Here's an adjustable 2 ball putter with a 412g head.

ADJUSTABLE 2-BALL LONG PUTTER, 2-PIECE GRIP, LEFTHAND,38 TO 52 INCH RANGE | eBay

I think another good option is the Ping B90.  Can get for less than $50 on ebay.

Ping B 90 Long Putter. 50 inches. All original.See Listing for Interesting Info. | eBay

• Thanks 1

Great help guys!!

So find adjustable long putter, get a feel for it all - then spend on custom build?

You recommend center shafted, no offset - that correct?

Edited by kevinmdowney

In the bag:

9 Degree BOM w/ Aldila NVS 65

17 Degree BOM 4 Wood w/ Aldila NVS 65

21 Degree Dynacraft Utility Iron

4-PW, 52, 56, 60 Alpha MDC Irons & Wedges w/ Apollo Acculite 95 Shafts

Star Sidewinder Midsize Grips

32” Callaway Divine Line Putter 

16 hours ago, kevinmdowney said:

Great help guys!!

So find adjustable long putter, get a feel for it all - then spend on custom build?

You recommend center shafted, no offset - that correct?

That's what I would do.

Make sure you're comfortable with the stroke - and know the length that works best for you.

Once you're there - then spend big bucks on a highend sidesaddle putter (Bobby Grace or L.A.B.)

Yes, you want center shafted with no offset.

Edited by BigEx44
  • Thanks 1

With all due respect given to Big and Brent, I must disagree with their recommendations...

You are never going to fully know if you like face-on putting, unless you have the best tools for the job in your hands.

My suggestion would be to step up and purchase a state-of-the-art Bobby Grace F-22 or a L.A.B. face-on putter. 

If you go cheap, you're always going to wonder how this technique may have worked differently with an exquisitely designed and manufactured face-on putter that was designed specifically for the task at hand. 

If after that, you decide face-on putting is not for you, simply sell it here or on eBay. You won't lose much money at all and you will have known that you gave it your best shot...

Good Luck,

Joe

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." - John Wooden

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” - Henry Thoreau

4 hours ago, Joe Duffer said:

With all due respect given to Big and Brent, I must disagree with their recommendations...

You are never going to fully know if you like face-on putting, unless you have the best tools for the job in your hands.

My suggestion would be to step up and purchase a state-of-the-art Bobby Grace F-22 or a L.A.B. face-on putter. 

If you go cheap, you're always going to wonder how this technique may have worked differently with an exquisitely designed and manufactured face-on putter that was designed specifically for the task at hand. 

If after that, you decide face-on putting is not for you, simply sell it here or on eBay. You won't lose much money at all and you will have known that you gave it your best shot...

Good Luck,

Joe

I could argue this both ways, but I’ll piggyback on Joe’s post just a bit.  The JuanPutt by Juan Elizondo is a dedicated and really good side saddle option, and it’s $245, which is way below either LAB or the F22.  I’m not sure if he still does or not, but Juan used to include a putting track with each purchase; I found that to be hugely helpful when I first started.  I’d call them and ask if those are still available.

Hi guys, I’m new to sidesaddle and I’ve been experimenting with a Thomas golf AT91 broomstick that i had bent to 80 degrees and have been fairly consistent on six footers and getting better at longer lag putts. But I’m noticing on longer lags the ball does not roll smoothly but takes a hop or two. I’m guessing this hopping is being caused by the 3-4 degree of loft on this model?

I’m convinced sidesaddle is what I’ll be using from here on but I wanted a true sidesaddle putter that was designed for sidesaddle. After weeks of research into the bobby grace, juanputt, bell and others, I found a small machine shop in Pennsylvania [Holloway Golf] that will make a 0 degree lofted putter to my specs.

Does anyone here have one? Has anyone even heard of Holloway Golf? 
Any advice? Thanks 

26 minutes ago, Faceit said:

Hi guys, I’m new to sidesaddle and I’ve been experimenting with a Thomas golf AT91 broomstick that i had bent to 80 degrees and have been fairly consistent on six footers and getting better at longer lag putts. But I’m noticing on longer lags the ball does not roll smoothly but takes a hop or two. I’m guessing this hopping is being caused by the 3-4 degree of loft on this model?

I’m convinced sidesaddle is what I’ll be using from here on but I wanted a true sidesaddle putter that was designed for sidesaddle. After weeks of research into the bobby grace, juanputt, bell and others, I found a small machine shop in Pennsylvania [Holloway Golf] that will make a 0 degree lofted putter to my specs.

Does anyone here have one? Has anyone even heard of Holloway Golf? 
Any advice? Thanks 

I have a Holloway, and they’ve been mentioned back in this thread somewhere.  I think it’s a good putter for the money, and not at all a bad place to start.  I didn’t use mine too much only because the head was smaller and lighter than what I was used to.  But it has a very solid feel.

back.jpeg.1aa4e6922558b3f9451ca1bb46c78097.jpeg

8 hours ago, Faceit said:

After a few hundred practice putts I’ve decided I’m much more accurate with my left foot forward and palm directly behind the grip similar to bowling. The pencil grip felt awkward as did the right foot forward…..

Interesting technique...

For balance, do you position your right foot behind and to the left of you left foot like a bowler would? 

Edited by Joe Duffer
better image

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” - Henry Thoreau

After a few hundred practice putts I’ve decided I’m much more accurate with my left foot forward and palm directly behind the grip similar to bowling. The pencil grip felt awkward as did the right foot forward…..

1 hour ago, Joe Duffer said:

back.jpeg.1aa4e6922558b3f9451ca1bb46c78097.jpeg

Interesting technique...

For balance, do you position your right foot behind and to the left of you left foot like a bowler would? 

no, I put the right foot a few inches to the right and about six inches behind the left foot. I play the ball about four to six inches in front and a few inches to the right of the right foot.

I wonder how many other regulars on this thread have adopted or even considered a Left-Foot-Forward stance? 

I personally like the way you think and what you're doing...

As an ex-professional bowler, I'm trying to figure out why I never even considered that option? 🤔

Curious: How tall are you and what length putter did you order?

9 hours ago, Joe Duffer said:

I wonder how many other regulars on this thread have adopted or even considered a Left-Foot-Forward stance? 

As an ex-professional bowler, I'm trying to figure out why I never even considered that option? 🤔

I like to feel like I'm leaning to my right a bit, getting my head over, or as close to the target line as possible.  Which means for me, most of my weight is on my right foot.  Which is of course easier with my right foot forward.

But to each their own!

6 hours ago, BigEx44 said:

I like to feel like I'm leaning to my right a bit, getting my head over, or as close to the target line as possible.  Which means for me, most of my weight is on my right foot.  Which is of course easier with my right foot forward.

But to each their own!

Yeah, I get that! - But did you try hitting a few putts with Faceit's left-foot-forward setup technique?

Don't discard the idea too quickly... 

18 hours ago, Joe Duffer said:

6 minutes ago, Faceit said:

I’m 5’11” and I’m using the 46” Holloway Backbone putter. 480 gram head weight

That sounds about right.👍 - We'll look forward to you posting up a video of your set up and stroke...

15 hours ago, Joe Duffer said:

Yeah, I get that! - But did you try hitting a few putts with Faceit's left-foot-forward setup technique?

Don't discard the idea too quickly... 

When I initially began sidesaddle putting - I tried every stance and every grip imaginable to see what I was most comfortable with and what worked best.  So yes, I did try the left foot forward stance.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 5:25 AM, bluedot said:

Like BigEx44 and others, the Bobby Grace F22 is by far the best I’ve found. From time to time I’ll use either the Directed Force (now LAB 2.1) or the JuanPutt, but always come back to the F22 eventually.  I like BG’s other putters, but not nearly as much.

l love the DF/LAB, but I bought it very early on, and they hadn’t really figured out the weighting for a long putter back then. I think the idea of lie angle balancing is valid technology; it is a GREAT putter on really fast greens because it just wants to release straight down the line you’ve picked. But that putter head is so light that it’s difficult on very long putts, and useless from off the green.  They are building their long putters now with a head weight of 500 grams, so I’m hopeful that the Mezz will be really good.

The JuanPutt is helpful when I get into a funk caused by not releasing the putter done the line, which is my default flaw, along with a lot of the rest of the world.  The head is the width of the hole, the white stripe on top is the width of the ball, and the weight is excellent, so it’s a really good practice tool for me.  It’s also the putter that I used for most of the first couple of years of face on when I was practicing constantly, so it feels very familiar; I’d have no hesitation using it today.

I think I’d really like the old STX, too, but the insert is so soft that I just can’t seem to get used to it.  The others are all too small and/or too light for me, but that may be because of so many years with the JuanPutt, DF, and F22, which are all BIG!

Edited by AriA
double post

Like BigEx44 and others, the Bobby Grace F22 is by far the best I’ve found. From time to time I’ll use either the Directed Force (now LAB 2.1) or the JuanPutt, but always come back to the F22 eventually.  I like BG’s other putters, but not nearly as much.

l love the DF/LAB, but I bought it very early on, and they hadn’t really figured out the weighting for a long putter back then. I think the idea of lie angle balancing is valid technology; it is a GREAT putter on really fast greens because it just wants to release straight down the line you’ve picked. But that putter head is so light that it’s difficult on very long putts, and useless from off the green.  They are building their long putters now with a head weight of 500 grams, so I’m hopeful that the Mezz will be really good.

The JuanPutt is helpful when I get into a funk caused by not releasing the putter done the line, which is my default flaw, along with a lot of the rest of the world.  The head is the width of the hole, the white stripe on top is the width of the ball, and the weight is excellent, so it’s a really good practice tool for me.  It’s also the putter that I used for most of the first couple of years of face on when I was practicing constantly, so it feels very familiar; I’d have no hesitation using it today.

I think I’d really like the old STX, too, but the insert is so soft that I just can’t seem to get used to it.  The others are all too small and/or too light for me, but that may be because of so many years with the JuanPutt, DF, and F22, which are all BIG!

Ughh...sorry for the multiple posts...my bad;(

Edited by AriA

I currently am playing with a 48" F22, but was at a PGA SS the other day and was fooling around with a 46" DF and loved it. It seemed more stable and like it moved much less on me during the the backstroke due to the tech or simply that it's wider and so more stable than the F22? Is that your experience?

Do you happen to know which head is heaver whether the Mezz Max or DF broomstick. I love the F22, but looking for something a bit heavier and more stable if that makes sense. Not sure if I would get that by going with a LAB putter and if so which of the two would be the better fit. 

I'm thinking DF might be the call since larger and wider and so more stable, but curious as to your thoughts given that you have all 3.

Any help would be much appreciated!

ari