side saddle putters - what putter are you using?

brentflog

Commenting on changing the weight of the GP (Rexroh post). I drilled through the side of the head, added weight and filled hole with silicone. Didn’t like that so bought another one and then put Tungsten powder down the shaft as you described. The powder and stopper corks can be purchased on line at The Golf Works. Tungsten is 30% heavier than lead and the lower is easier to use. Still have both of them but they are in the closet.

Spoke to the Bomar’s about adjustable weights, the Blaze would be perfect to have changeable weight s for the toe and heel. They are considering doing so. Obviously they are a small outfit and tooling would be expensive for a product with a small market, however, I would definite buy another one if the weight kit was offered.
I doubt the USGA will make changes unless a lot of Pro’s suddenly started putting sidesaddle. This will not happen since the players are making too much money endorsing the many traditional style putters.

On 2/21/2022 at 6:13 PM, Haroputt said:

CAn someone explain why onset /face progression type putters are popular with sidesaddle style?

Is more onset better than less? 

I'm not a side saddle user but I am a long time side saddle tinkerer.  🙂

I've found that having onset helps avoid the dreaded scrub flub  (hitting the ground).  The onset puts the ball and club in better relationship for the pendulum motion.  IMO of course.  And it's easier to aim. AND, it makes the putter more torque balanced.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

5 hours ago, BigEx44 said:

In a sidesaddle setup, with the ball slightly in front - there's a natural upswing on the ball.  I get a really nice roll with my balls with very little skip.  So the stroke itself adds all the loft you need.  Using any kind of lofted putter will add too much loft to the stroke IMO.

I’ve been putting SS for almost a year. I think what you describe above depends on whether you putt vertically (90*) or with the built-in lie angle of the putter. With the putter vertical, the center of the putter is above the ground; if you then add loft with an upswing of the putter, you run the risk of hitting the ball above the equator. Because I putt SS at 90*, it’s not easy for me to add loft. 

3 hours ago, bluedot said:

The Bobby Grace F22 is pretty close to perfect, and I’ve got just about everything in my hall closet for comparison, including a GP and a Bomar Blaze.

Do you use the F22 at 90*? 

There’s a lot of fantastic discussion here about SS putters, technique, etc. But I think those of us who are contributing should try to be really clear (for new folks reading this thread) what our technique is.

I started putting with the shaft at an angle less than 90* and I found it easy to add loft as BigEx44 describes. But for me, I only ever really gained consistency when I went to 90*. For me it’s tricky when your right hand is moving in one vertical plane (to the left of your line) while the putter moves in another (on the line) and the handle is held at a third point, outside of both those vertical planes (even further to the left).

I totally realize that others are putting at an angle of less than 90* and having great success. They are probably better SS putters than I am! 🙂 But I was never able to make that work, and I think some people who want to try SS will be amazed at how much the 90* setup simplifies things. At 90* it’s really a pendulum, rather than an attempt at approximating a pendulum tilted at an angle. 

There are also some basic principles we can lay out for others:

• if you set up with the lie angle of the putter itself (70–80*) and you may want to have little or even zero loft, because you can swing up on the putter (because your putter sole is completely flat at address). 
  • if you set up with the putter at 90*, you will want an 80* lie putter, a short blade length, and perhaps a bit of loft (because swinging up will increase the chances you hit the ball above its equator). 

My experience also tells me this: If you put at 90* you have FEWER equipment options.  Lots of putters that might be great at their built-in lie angle will not work at 90*. Most folks here find the GP putter too light and without much forgiveness (it’s a very small mallet head), but so far it’s the only putter I’ve used (and it’s hard to experiment when many putters are $500) that allows a 90* setup while still making it possible to hit the ball in the center of the putter. 

I started SS putting a year ago based on reading this thread and looking at a lot of the stuff online that’s referenced here. On reflection, I’m surprised how many people, even those advocating SS putting, are not very clear about how they putt. I watched tons of Randy Haag videos and looked at other videos “teaching” SS putting, but only rarely is someone clear about whether the putter should be straight up and down.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fronesis said:

I’ve been putting SS for almost a year. I think what you describe above depends on whether you putt vertically (90*) or with the built-in lie angle of the putter. With the putter vertical, the center of the putter is above the ground; if you then add loft with an upswing of the putter, you run the risk of hitting the ball above the equator. Because I putt SS at 90*, it’s not easy for me to add loft. 

Do you use the F22 at 90*? 

There’s a lot of fantastic discussion here about SS putters, technique, etc. But I think those of us who are contributing should try to be really clear (for new folks reading this thread) what our technique is.

I started putting with the shaft at an angle less than 90* and I found it easy to add loft as BigEx44 describes. But for me, I only ever really gained consistency when I went to 90*. For me it’s tricky when your right hand is moving in one vertical plane (to the left of your line) while the putter moves in another (on the line) and the handle is held at a third point, outside of both those vertical planes (even further to the left).

I totally realize that others are putting at an angle of less than 90* and having great success. They are probably better SS putters than I am! 🙂 But I was never able to make that work, and I think some people who want to try SS will be amazed at how much the 90* setup simplifies things. At 90* it’s really a pendulum, rather than an attempt at approximating a pendulum tilted at an angle. 

There are also some basic principles we can lay out for others:

• if you set up with the lie angle of the putter itself (70–80*) and you may want to have little or even zero loft, because you can swing up on the putter (because your putter sole is completely flat at address). 
  • if you set up with the putter at 90*, you will want an 80* lie putter, a short blade length, and perhaps a bit of loft (because swinging up will increase the chances you hit the ball above its equator). 

My experience also tells me this: If you put at 90* you have FEWER equipment options.  Lots of putters that might be great at their built-in lie angle will not work at 90*. Most folks here find the GP putter too light and without much forgiveness (it’s a very small mallet head), but so far it’s the only putter I’ve used (and it’s hard to experiment when many putters are $500) that allows a 90* setup while still making it possible to hit the ball in the center of the putter. 

I started SS putting a year ago based on reading this thread and looking at a lot of the stuff online that’s referenced here. On reflection, I’m surprised how many people, even those advocating SS putting, are not very clear about how they putt. I watched tons of Randy Haag videos and looked at other videos “teaching” SS putting, but only rarely is someone clear about whether the putter should be straight up and down.  

Ok, first of all, it doesn't have to be 80* or vertical, right?  Just like Stricker has the heel off the ground and Aoki had the toe off the ground of their conventional putters, there is room for individual variation within the 10* margin.

I do NOT putt with the F22 in a purely vertical position; it not only puts the heel way off the ground, but in order to do that, my left hand would have to be in line with my right bicep, and that just doesn't feel natural to me at all.  If the ball is 6" or so in front of my right foot, then my left arm is not only going to be off my chest as per the anchoring rule, but my right (top) hand will be more or less lined up with the inside of my right shoulder.  In that position, which feels VERY natural to me, the shaft of the F22 is somewhere in between 80 and 90 degrees; I won't guess a number, though I think it probably is at least somewhat toward vertical from where BigEx44 is. 

All of that said, I've never been able to decide whether or not it's really important TO RESULTS, as opposed to just a matter of personal preference, whether the shaft is purely vertical or not.  I've putted well with a Directed Force 2.1, which pretty much has to be soled and with the shaft at 80*, and with a JuanPutt, which clearly works best at 80*.  The GP was the first side saddle putter I had, and I used it at 90* because that's what PR Dionne shows in his videos and how he designed the putter, but I only used it long enough to know that I was going to stay with side saddle AND that there had to be heavier, bigger putters out there that would work better FOR ME.

I understand the physics of the difference between the shaft at 80 vs 90 and any angle in between, but I sort of suspect that the difference matters very little on a putting stroke compared to other fundamentals.  I think getting the right length is a big deal, I think no more than 2* of loft is a big deal, and I even think that getting the lower part of the grip in the right place on the shaft is a big deal.  But I'm hesitant to tell anybody that it is better, much less BEST, to hold the putter vertically vs soled, just as I am hesitant to tell anyone that using a pencil grip is better than using a palm facing grip for the bottom hand. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluedot said:

Ok, first of all, it doesn't have to be 80* or vertical, right?  Just like Stricker has the heel off the ground and Aoki had the toe off the ground of their conventional putters, there is room for individual variation within the 10* margin.

I understand the physics of the difference between the shaft at 80 vs 90 and any angle in between, but I sort of suspect that the difference matters very little on a putting stroke compared to other fundamentals. 

I think getting the right length is a big deal, I think no more than 2* of loft is a big deal, and I even think that getting the lower part of the grip in the right place on the shaft is a big deal

But I'm hesitant to tell anybody that it is better, much less BEST, to hold the putter vertically vs soled, just as I am hesitant to tell anyone that using a pencil grip is better than using a palm facing grip for the bottom hand. 

1. I agree completely: you can putt probably anywhere from 65* to 90* and what matters is a repeatedly stroke that works for you. My point wasn’t that it was binary: 80 vs 90, but that for those who WANT to go 90, they will want to always set up at 90, and some putters won’t be able to go to 90. 
  2. The fundamentals of putting would seem to be consistently returning the face (a) square to your line (b) with your intended loft and (c) neither hitting the ground nor hitting the ball above its equator. Whatever a player can do to achieve those fundamentals is all that matters.
  3. Length – agreed! Lower grip – agreed! Loft – I’m not saying it’s not important at all, but for me it’s not been critical. I’ve used 4 or 5 different SS putters, and the GP (with 3 degrees of loft) has worked best for me. But that’s probably because I’m using it at 90*. And as I said earlier, at 90* the player just cannot swing up on the ball as much, so a little more loft starts to HELP that player. For you, it’s clear you add a bit of loft in your SS stroke, and therefore any putter with more than 2 degrees of loft will strike the ball with too much overall loft. I haven’t tried it, but I’m fairly confident that a 0 degree loft putter wouldn’t work for me at 90* – I’d either delivery too little loft to the ball, or (if I swung up on it) I’d hit the ball above the equator. 
  4. Agree: I’m not arguing that 90* is best. Not at all. But FOR ME, I find it easier to achieve the fundamentals mentioned above at 90. It takes some variables out of the equation, but again, that’s just my personal approach, and I wouldn’t dictate it to anyone. My concern was really to let folks know that if 90* works for them, then they’ll need the right putter for it. If you are happy moving between 70 and 85, then you have more flexibility in choosing a putter. Since I want to putt at 90, I have to have a putter with close to an 80* lie angle, a bit of loft, and not too long a blade. Since you want to swing upon the ball while setting up at less than 90*, you’ll find low loft a priority and be happy to use a longer blade length. 
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, fronesis said:

1. I agree completely: you can putt probably anywhere from 65* to 90* and what matters is a repeatedly stroke that works for you. My point wasn’t that it was binary: 80 vs 90, but that for those who WANT to go 90, they will want to always set up at 90, and some putters won’t be able to go to 90. 
  2. The fundamentals of putting would seem to be consistently returning the face (a) square to your line (b) with your intended loft and (c) neither hitting the ground nor hitting the ball above its equator. Whatever a player can do to achieve those fundamentals is all that matters.
  3. Length – agreed! Lower grip – agreed! Loft – I’m not saying it’s not important at all, but for me it’s not been critical. I’ve used 4 or 5 different SS putters, and the GP (with 3 degrees of loft) has worked best for me. But that’s probably because I’m using it at 90*. And as I said earlier, at 90* the player just cannot swing up on the ball as much, so a little more loft starts to HELP that player. For you, it’s clear you add a bit of loft in your SS stroke, and therefore any putter with more than 2 degrees of loft will strike the ball with too much overall loft. I haven’t tried it, but I’m fairly confident that a 0 degree loft putter wouldn’t work for me at 90* – I’d either delivery too little loft to the ball, or (if I swung up on it) I’d hit the ball above the equator. 
  4. Agree: I’m not arguing that 90* is best. Not at all. But FOR ME, I find it easier to achieve the fundamentals mentioned above at 90. It takes some variables out of the equation, but again, that’s just my personal approach, and I wouldn’t dictate it to anyone. My concern was really to let folks know that if 90* works for them, then they’ll need the right putter for it. If you are happy moving between 70 and 85, then you have more flexibility in choosing a putter. Since I want to putt at 90, I have to have a putter with close to an 80* lie angle, a bit of loft, and not too long a blade. Since you want to swing upon the ball while setting up at less than 90*, you’ll find low loft a priority and be happy to use a longer blade length. 

Ok.

• 2 weeks later...

On another note:

I know that all of us probably get weary at times of being lone rangers in the way we putt; I'm the ONLY guy at my club that putts side saddle, and I imagine most of you are as well.  We've talked about some of the comments we get from others the first time they see us putt, and we've talked about the inverse relationship between the handicap of a golfer and how likely they are to comment.  But it does get old...

I don't know how many of you play any competitive golf; I still (age 69) try to play as many tournaments as I can.  Let me just say that if you do play competitively, putting side saddle when you are under the gun in tournament pressure is the greatest thing going.  The key to putting in tournament play is making putts from 4' and in under pressure, and putting with one hand and with the other elbow pinned to your side is just light years superior to trying to get two hands to work together when your nerves are jangling. 

I played in two senior 4 balls the last two days, and both courses had extremely good and very fast greens; one bent, one bermuda, so very different putting surfaces.  I had one three-putt each day; both were the result of bad misreads, which of course has zero to do with putting method.  But I also had ELEVEN one-putt greens over the two days, and yesterday I putted so well it got kind of silly; at one point in the round, I had SIX one-putt greens in a row.  Three were for birdies, two were up-and-down par saves, and one was a sand save.  It was just SO much fun.

It's worth mentioning that my partner and I played with the same two guys both days; both great guys and good players that we had never met.  In the entire 36 holes of the two days, neither of them said a word about the METHOD.  Not one word, and good players almost never do.

I guess the message is to have faith in what you are doing, and to pay NO attention to the chops who talk about Sam Snead, or ask if it's legal, or ask you why in the world you putt that way, and so on.  Just be confident that in the knowledge that it's just a better way to roll a golf ball to a hole, and get on with it.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bluedot said:

On another note:

I know that all of us probably get weary at times of being lone rangers in the way we putt; I'm the ONLY guy at my club that putts side saddle, and I imagine most of you are as well.  We've talked about some of the comments we get from others the first time they see us putt, and we've talked about the inverse relationship between the handicap of a golfer and how likely they are to comment.  But it does get old...

I don't know how many of you play any competitive golf; I still (age 69) try to play as many tournaments as I can.  Let me just say that if you do play competitively, putting side saddle when you are under the gun in tournament pressure is the greatest thing going.  The key to putting in tournament play is making putts from 4' and in under pressure, and putting with one hand and with the other elbow pinned to your side is just light years superior to trying to get two hands to work together when your nerves are jangling. 

I played in two senior 4 balls the last two days, and both courses had extremely good and very fast greens; one bent, one bermuda, so very different putting surfaces.  I had one three-putt each day; both were the result of bad misreads, which of course has zero to do with putting method.  But I also had ELEVEN one-putt greens over the two days, and yesterday I putted so well it got kind of silly; at one point in the round, I had SIX one-putt greens in a row.  Three were for birdies, two were up-and-down par saves, and one was a sand save.  It was just SO much fun.

It's worth mentioning that my partner and I played with the same two guys both days; both great guys and good players that we had never met.  In the entire 36 holes of the two days, neither of them said a word about the METHOD.  Not one word, and good players almost never do.

I guess the message is to have faith in what you are doing, and to pay NO attention to the chops who talk about Sam Snead, or ask if it's legal, or ask you why in the world you putt that way, and so on.  Just be confident that in the knowledge that it's just a better way to roll a golf ball to a hole, and get on with it.

I might be wrong but I was under the assumption that pinning the elbow to ones side was illegal especially if the hands are separated on the grip? 

Cobra LTDx  (8*) AutoFlex 505

PXG Gen 6 3 Wood (15*)

PXG Gen 6 (18*)

PXG Gen 6 4 hybrid (22*)

Cobra Aerojet OL (5-SW)
Cobra Snakebite 58*

Lajosi Custom LP808

57 minutes ago, Meanbeav77 said:

I might be wrong but I was under the assumption that pinning the elbow to ones side was illegal especially if the hands are separated on the grip? 

It is not; you can’t anchor the forearm if you have a split grip. Lots of people anchor their elbows when they putt or even chip.

On 3/16/2022 at 3:16 PM, bluedot said:

It is not; you can’t anchor the forearm if you have a split grip. Lots of people anchor their elbows when they putt or even chip.

I would have an issue with conforming stroke if pinning the elbow includes the inner forearm.  If the elbow is locked just above at the armpit i think that would be permissible 

5 minutes ago, Haroputt said:

I would have an issue with conforming stroke if pinning the elbow includes the inner forearm.  If the elbow is locked just above at the armpit i think that would be permissible 

What you have an issue with is illegal, and the rule is clear.  Pinning the elbow is permitted, pinning the forearm is not permitted.  I'm not sure what you are referring to with the armpit, though.  My elbow is pinned at the bottom of my ribcage, and my left arm extends out at 45*.

I'll offer this: In the 7 years since I converted to side saddle, a LOT of club pros and and a LOT Carolinas Golf Association officials have seen me putt.  The next one that questions whether or not I'm violating any rule will be the first, and the same goes for good players.  I've written this many, many times here, but the only players that DO question are chops, and they don't know the anchoring rules anyway.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bluedot said:

What you have an issue with is illegal, and the rule is clear.  Pinning the elbow is permitted, pinning the forearm is not permitted.  I'm not sure what you are referring to with the armpit, though.  My elbow is pinned at the bottom of my ribcage, and my left arm extends out at 45*.

I'll offer this: In the 7 years since I converted to side saddle, a LOT of club pros and and a LOT Carolinas Golf Association officials have seen me putt.  The next one that questions whether or not I'm violating any rule will be the first, and the same goes for good players.  I've written this many, many times here, but the only players that DO question are chops, and they don't know the anchoring rules anyway.

Don’t  get defensive I am not questioning your stroke 

I never seen it. 
I clearly stated that pinning elbow that includes the forearm like in Joe B photos is not permissible 

All the power to you if you don’t do that 

Edited by Haroputt

23 minutes ago, bluedot said:

What I’m referring to the armpit is that when the elbow is against the chest and forearm can freely move

Then when the elbow is pinned the upper arm and armpit are pinned as well ? No?

Edited by Haroputt

1 minute ago, Haroputt said:

What I’m referring to the armpit is that when the elbow up against the chest and forearm can freely move then the upper arm and armpit are pinned as well ? No?

I'm not defensive; just trying to explain. 

There is nothing in the Rules that prohibits the elbow and the arm above the elbow from being pinned.  It's the forearm that can't be pinned if you use a putter with a split grip.

Need Advice 

I'm not a terrible putter, but the last year or so I started to miss way to many shorter putts 1-4 feet, putts that should be made. Usually when this happens I start tinkering with my grip, I go conventional, claw, left hand low, or am forever changing putters. I am 72 but still feel I have a few good years left on the links, my handicap is a 12 and my goal over the next three years would be a consistant single digit, I have been down to a 9.3 two years ago before missing these short putts and getting very frustrated.

I want my next putter and putting style to be my last as I am tired of changing my putting style and putters everytime I begin to miss those 2 footers. I have been very interested in reading this topic on  side saddle putting. I remembered seeing my next door neighbor years ago facing the hole and putting, i asked him recently if he still putted that way and what type of putter he had. He has a GP and actually let me take it to the practice green last weekend. I spend a little over 2 hours on the green, at first I was not pleased with the results but the more i used the putter the better the results, so much so I do think this could be the answer to a putter style Ithat i could stick with, just makes sense especially for the shorter putts. Although the GP was ok, it don't think this is the perfect putter for me,  I think I would like to find something a little heavier.

The question I have for you experienced long time side saddle putters what putter and length putter should i purchase. I am just shy of 6 Feet tall, the GP i used was a 46" length and felt comfortable as at my age I perfer not to bend way down low.

Should I begin this journey with a used putter like the Ping B90 ( is this a side saddle putter ? )that I understand can be purchased for under $100 until Im ready for the next step or should I take the side saddle plunge and look to purchase something like the Bobby Grace F22, or a Bomar or a Juanputter or a ?? I do believe that a putter is worth its weight in gold as it comes to lowering your score so if I could stand on the green and feel comfortable and confident with  a 2 or 3 footer I don't mind dropping the extra $$ 

On another note I really enjoy practicing on the putting greens, maybe more than hitting driver on the range. so whatever I buy will be practiced with for many hours to get the stance, grip and stroke right for me.

Your thoughts and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

On 3/20/2022 at 11:12 PM, mv713 said:

Need Advice 

I'm not a terrible putter, but the last year or so I started to miss way to many shorter putts 1-4 feet, putts that should be made. Usually when this happens I start tinkering with my grip, I go conventional, claw, left hand low, or am forever changing putters. I am 72 but still feel I have a few good years left on the links, my handicap is a 12 and my goal over the next three years would be a consistant single digit, I have been down to a 9.3 two years ago before missing these short putts and getting very frustrated.

I want my next putter and putting style to be my last as I am tired of changing my putting style and putters everytime I begin to miss those 2 footers. I have been very interested in reading this topic on  side saddle putting. I remembered seeing my next door neighbor years ago facing the hole and putting, i asked him recently if he still putted that way and what type of putter he had. He has a GP and actually let me take it to the practice green last weekend. I spend a little over 2 hours on the green, at first I was not pleased with the results but the more i used the putter the better the results, so much so I do think this could be the answer to a putter style Ithat i could stick with, just makes sense especially for the shorter putts. Although the GP was ok, it don't think this is the perfect putter for me,  I think I would like to find something a little heavier.

The question I have for you experienced long time side saddle putters what putter and length putter should i purchase. I am just shy of 6 Feet tall, the GP i used was a 46" length and felt comfortable as at my age I perfer not to bend way down low.

Should I begin this journey with a used putter like the Ping B90 ( is this a side saddle putter ? )that I understand can be purchased for under $100 until Im ready for the next step or should I take the side saddle plunge and look to purchase something like the Bobby Grace F22, or a Bomar or a Juanputter or a ?? I do believe that a putter is worth its weight in gold as it comes to lowering your score so if I could stand on the green and feel comfortable and confident with  a 2 or 3 footer I don't mind dropping the extra $$ 

On another note I really enjoy practicing on the putting greens, maybe more than hitting driver on the range. so whatever I buy will be practiced with for many hours to get the stance, grip and stroke right for me.

Your thoughts and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

1) Putter length is an individual preference.  I'm 6'0" and use a 46.5 inch putter.  If you're just starting to experiment, you're better starting off with too long a putter.  You can always cut it down.  Hard to add length to a too short putter.

2) I'd start with a  cheap long putter.  Ping B90 is perfect.  I wouldn't move to an expensive Bobby Grace putter until you know for sure that sidesaddle is for you.

3 hours ago, BigEx44 said:

1) Putter length is an individual preference.  I'm 6'0" and use a 46.5 inch putter.  If you're just starting to experiment, you're better starting off with too long a putter.  You can always cut it down.  Hard to add length to a too short putter.

2) I'd start with a  cheap long putter.  Ping B90 is perfect.  I wouldn't move to an expensive Bobby Grace putter until you know for sure that sidesaddle is for you.

Thank you for that advice

I was at 2nd swing golf and found a Ping B90i is there a difference between B90 and B90i ?? it was 50" long and felt to long. If no difference maybe I will pick up and have cut down

I did find an Odyssey 48" Dart long putter and purchased the putter., I asked them to put it on a lie angle machine, they said it was 78" 3 degree loft. I have been practicing a few times on the greens, trying to practice 3-4-5 foot putts, been ok but not excellent, not sure it fits maybe  to long, maybe my set up, I seem to be more upright, seem to putt better with both feet even. Seems I push putts to the right. I did try some long putts an that was not good at all, topping ball, not getting a solid strike. Do you look at the ball, or the hole while putting. i have tried both and even though I have more success looking at the hole not sure I can get very comfortable putting that way. 

I'll agree, the BG putters are basically perfect.  I've bought about every other one under the sun including lots of long putters I thought might work (closest one is a futura I just bought, it actually sets pretty good), but nothing is as solid and well designed and manufactured for this approach than the BG putters.  

I have 2 F22s, a F35, a retail LFI and then a prototype LFI, an the only one I don't really care for is the retail LFI because with the asskicker shaft set up, the shaft is effectively in line with the face of the putter, which I do not like for side saddling.  I honestly prefer the LFI headshape and size over the F22s, but the shaft positioning is a deal breaker (and my prototype LFI doesn't have the insert which is a close second deal breaker to me, because I think its that good).  

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

4 hours ago, BigEx44 said:

Or, buy the BG and sell it as a back up to one of us degenerates for a discount if you don't like it!

• Like 1
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

1 hour ago, BigEx44 said:

I was in the Canary Islands (Fuerteventura) with my wife (a beginner) on a weeklong "Coaching Vacation" with Julian Mellor.

Julian Mellor's golf philosophy and method have really improved my game.

He helped me realize my lifelong goal of becoming a single digit handicap golfer (I finished last year as a 9.3)

So it was great to be able to spend the week with him.

I'm the guy in the blue windbreaker below (and that's my wife next to me)

Anyways, one cool thing about the week was Julian's fascination with my sidesaddle putting technique.

I was putting really well throughout the week.

So he asked if he could do a video of me explaining the stroke.

He thinks it's a great option for anyone struggling with their putting.

And I think it's great that he was so open minded about this non-traditional technique.

So here's the video (I don't think my good putting throughout the week translated very well to the video because I was soooo nervous about being filmed.  No real putting warmup, I just walked on the green and we started filming...)

Oh well, it is what it is.  But nice to see a golf pro so interested in the technique.

This is fantastic!  You did a great job in every respect; VERY cool!