2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Private Clubs in Vancouver

PJP1113

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends which part of the city.

Shaughnessy in the west side of Vancouver - approx. $80k. The land is leased from an Indian band and the lease expires in 2032. Very unlikely that a new lease will be signed. Beautiful course. Has hosted the men's Canadian Open and the only private course that is long enough to host a men's PGA tournament. The waitlist is not very long.

Point Grey in the west side of Vancouver - approx. $80k. Land is member owned and located in low lying area next to the Fraser River. They have tried to dry out the course by dumping lots of sand on the fairways but you cannot work against the physics of lying at or below the water table. I don't know how long the waitlist is.

Marine Drive in the west side of Vancouver - approx. $80k. Land is member owned and is located close to Point Grey and Shaughnessy. Has the smallest land space of the three west side clubs. Consequently the holes are very tight and tee boxes very close to greens. I don't know how long the waitlist is.

Capilano in West Vancouver - approx. $100k. Land is member owned and is situated inside of "British Properties" in West Vancouver. Beautiful club house. Best of all the private courses. Has a direct view of downtown Vancouver. Mountain course is short and hilly. Tough to get in. 8 year waitlist according to my friends who are members there.

Seymour in North Vancouver - approx $40k (there was a deal at $25k but I don't know if it is still available). Land is leased from the District of North Vancouver. Mountain course. Front 9 was renovated 10 years ago. Back 9 will be renovated starting this September. Currently Monday is open for public play. I don't know how long the waitlist is.

Vancouver Golf Club in Coquitlam - $50k. Land is member owned and despite its name it is located in Coquitlam, a suburb of Vancouver. Hilly front 9 and relatively flat back 9. Is host to the LPGA CP Open this in a couple of weeks. Due to the geography it is very playable all year round. Waitlist is about 2 years.

These are the top 6 private courses in Vancouver IMHO.

Monthly dues at all the private clubs is similiar - approx. $500 per month including playing dues, club storage, pro shop fees, driving range fees, locker fees, hole in one insurance, CPGA dues. In additional minimum food amounts are approx. $1,000 per year.

I have played all of the courses and I would rank the top 3 like this -

Golf course layout and playability - Shaughnessy, Vancouver Golf Club, Capilano.
Golf course condition - Capilano, Shaughnessy, Vancouver Golf Club.
Practice facilities - Shaughnessy, Vancouver Golf Club the other 4 have very limited driving ranges
Club house - Capilano, Shaughnessy, Marine Drive.
Exclusivity - Capilano, Shaughnessy then all others.

Other private clubs -

Richmond Golf Club - located in Richmond a suburb of Vancouver.
Quilchena Golf - located in Richmond.
Beach Grove - located in Tsawwassen, a suburb of Vancouver.
Pitt Meadows - located in Pitt Meadows, a suburb of Vancouver.

Vancouver club is by far the best option IMO. Course conditions similar or better than any of the other private courses whilst offering much cheaper fees. It's probably my favourite course in the lower mainland as it features an excellent hole layout. Facilities are also very nice, nothing extravagant like Capilano but very functional. If your here for the golf than you won't care. Has hosted the LPGA a few times and will do so again this month.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

[quote name='PJP1113' timestamp='1438968549' post='12096476']
Thanks for the feedback guys. Looks like it is a lot more than my Boulder membership- 5k intiation, $350/mth

Would the Richmond clubs be a little cheaper than the ones in the City?
[/quote]

Everything is more expensive here, so get ready for that. There are 10-15 good public tracks within an hour or so drive from Vancouver in all directions, so it sort of depends on which part of Vancouver you are looking at. Another good option if you want to go private though is the Loomis Trail/Semiahmoo golf courses just on the other side of the border here from Vancouver where both courses alternate between public and private every 2nd day. So you get two courses there, plus some pretty decent reciprocals I believe. I think it's around 10-15k there plus $300 a month USD ??

Yes not only is golf very expensive in Vancouver just about everything else is expensive ............ welcome to Vancouver.

The Richmond clubs will be a lot cheaper likely under $20,000. You can probably negotiate a lot lower as both clubs are looking for members.

If you are going to live in Richmond you would want to play in Richmond as traffic is terrible all over Vancouver.

Another course to consider is Mayfair Lakes. It is not private but there are memberships available.

The club house is pretty nice and the course is owned by GolfBC which owns a number of other courses on Vancouver Island, Kelowna and Maui.

[size=3][color=#000000]Beach Grove is short drive from Richmond but you have to deal with a tunnel (no issue on the weekends, but not very good after work) - and you can join For $5Kish right now - $300ish a month. Least rain in the lower mainland private clubs and get more winter play then any other club. Golf only.[/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#000000]Richmond G & C is more like $20K right now but they let you pay it over 20 years or something like that. Great club and has tennis, pool etc. [/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Quilchena Golf[/b] & Country - also in richmind is about $5K. I don't like the course, but that is me. Also lots of rumours it may close or go semi private.[/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#000000]​Kings Links has a membership option (also thought the tunnel) but does not have winter play.[/color][/size]

[color="#000000"][size=3]Most of the private clubs will have you out for a round to check the place out - but keep in mind vancouver is in draught that has forced clubs on municipal water to not water their fairways. All these course including the supper high priced ones like [/size][/color][color=#282828]Shaughnessy[/color][color="#000000"][size=3] look bad because of this. A few courses like Cap and Vancouver Club have wells/reservoirs so they look good still. This has never happened before in the last 70 years or something like that - so I would not use reservoirs as big deciding factor unless you believe climate change will shift Vancouver from a rainforest to a dessert in the near future.[/size][/color]

[quote name='The Beav' timestamp='1439133299' post='12104998']
I should add that Northview G+C has two nice 18-hole Palmer designs and its about 40-45 minutes from downtown. It's not a private course.

They offer $3000/year for unlimited WEEKDAY play. If your schedule works for M-F golf that's probably the best value around.
[/quote]

I agree 100% that the Northview Ridge Course is a fantastic course. The Canal course I don't like at all.

I believe that at one time they were going to make the Ridge Course totally private and have public play on the Canal course only. This is very similar to the approach that Swaneset had until the third owner came along and made access to both Swaneset courses public.

A business associate of mine lives and works near Northview and he says that the big problem with getting a unlimited pass is the number of corporate tournaments that the Ridge Course hosts in the summer. He doesn't feel you will get your money's worth.

Great info from Golfnuck and the others OP, one thing I would add - and has been alluded to early - is know where you are going to live and where you are going to work first. Obviously what you can afford/want to pay is also key, but 10-30km in one direction and 10-30km in another can be double/triple the driving time.

If your route involves a bridge, tunnel, or lots of surface streets it will be a right PITA to try and get out after work for a quick 9. I was just up at Whistler this past weekend playing (Big Sky, NN, Whistler GC) and it takes me about 5 mins after crossing the border to be fecked off with the transportation network in the GVRD. It actually makes the Bay Area look progressive.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Sorry to get off topic here.

duffer987 I noted that you are residing in the Bay area. I golfed with my buddy at Shaughnessy yesterday and he told me that a couple of weeks ago he joined a couple to play the Whistler Golf Course. The couple were from San Jose and they said they had to come up to Whistler to escape the dryness and fires in California and wanted to be in a green forest for a break. Good thing they were not up a month earlier when we had a big fire in Pemberton that had lots of smoke drifting down to Whistler.

Have you played at the Palo Alto Hills Golf and Country Club? Our club just entered into a reciprocal agreement with them and based on the website it looks like a great course.

[quote name='Golfnuck' timestamp='1439310010' post='12117136']
Sorry to get off topic here.

duffer987 I noted that you are residing in the Bay area. I golfed with my buddy at Shaughnessy yesterday and he told me that a couple of weeks ago he joined a couple to play the Whistler Golf Course. The couple were from San Jose and they said they had to come up to Whistler to escape the dryness and fires in California and wanted to be in a green forest for a break. Good thing they were not up a month earlier when we had a big fire in Pemberton that had lots of smoke drifting down to Whistler.

Have you played at the Palo Alto Hills Golf and Country Club? Our club just entered into a reciprocal agreement with them and based on the website it looks like a great course.
[/quote]

I've played Stonebrae and Stanford (which is just fantastic) but otherwise I don't really mix with the Peninsula elite/monied and haven't played any other private tracks.
There were/are probably 2 or 3 clubs I could afford to join, otherwise everything is waaaaaaaaaay north of what I've got :)

If you've got recip with The Cal Club you should definitely take advantage of that - along with any of the courses around Lake Merced obviously - but otherwise I couldn't speak to the other's quality

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='The Beav' timestamp='1439133116' post='12104994']
Good thoughts in here.

For what you are paying now you'd only be able to look at the worst semi-private clubs in this area.
Paying per round is sadly all most of us can afford.
[/quote]

"Worst" is relative term I guess. The posted price and current discounted prices are pretty far apart. for $5K-$10K lots of options to play at and some are rated very highly and I would have tough time saying Pitt Medows, Semihamoo, Richmond G & C and Beach Grove are "the worst". All nice places to play. Semi is still rated as one of the best courses in the PNW. I am not a fan of Quilchena - but still a nice course.

For me you have you have:

Top Tier - [color=#282828]Shaughnessy[/color] and Cap and Vancouver Club - Huge money to get in, but they are rated some of the best in Canada

Mid Tier but still pricey - Marine, Seymour and Point Grey - I think they are overpriced, but are what they are due to location

Mid Tier - Suburbs (low price) - Pitt Medows, Semihamoo, Richmond G & C, Beach Grove, and Quilchena. Better deals to be found here, and better course than some listed above, but location might not be great.

Pretty much every course in Vancouver has a monthly fee of $300-$350, so no getting around that.

[quote name='2bGood' timestamp='1439402755' post='12124496']
[quote name='The Beav' timestamp='1439133116' post='12104994']
Good thoughts in here.

For what you are paying now you'd only be able to look at the worst semi-private clubs in this area.
Paying per round is sadly all most of us can afford.
[/quote]

"Worst" is relative term I guess. The posted price and current discounted prices are pretty far apart. for $5K-$10K lots of options to play at and some are rated very highly and I would have tough time saying Pitt Medows, Semihamoo, Richmond G & C and Beach Grove are "the worst". All nice places to play. Semi is still rated as one of the best courses in the PNW. I am not a fan of Quilchena - but still a nice course.

For me you have you have:

Top Tier - [color=#282828]Shaughnessy[/color] and Cap and Vancouver Club - Huge money to get in, but they are rated some of the best in Canada

Mid Tier but still pricey - Marine, Seymour and Point Grey - I think they are overpriced, but are what they are due to location

Mid Tier - Suburbs (low price) - Pitt Medows, Semihamoo, Richmond G & C, Beach Grove, and Quilchena. Better deals to be found here, and better course than some listed above, but location might not be great.

Pretty much every course in Vancouver has a monthly fee of $300-$350, so no getting around that.
[/quote]

Your analysis is spot on.

I didn't want separate the top "6" courses as I am a member at Vancouver Club and I didn't want to impart any bias.

[quote name='2bGood' timestamp='1439131292' post='12104884']
[size=3][color=#000000]Beach Grove is short drive from Richmond but you have to deal with a tunnel (no issue on the weekends, but not very good after work) - and you can join For $5Kish right now - $300ish a month. Least rain in the lower mainland private clubs and get more winter play then any other club. Golf only.[/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#000000]Richmond G & C is more like $20K right now but they let you pay it over 20 years or something like that. Great club and has tennis, pool etc. [/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Quilchena Golf[/b] & Country - also in richmind is about $5K. I don't like the course, but that is me. Also lots of rumours it may close or go semi private.[/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#000000]​Kings Links has a membership option (also thought the tunnel) but does not have winter play.[/color][/size]

[color=#000000][size=3]Most of the private clubs will have you out for a round to check the place out - but keep in mind vancouver is in draught that has forced clubs on municipal water to not water their fairways. All these course including the supper high priced ones like [/size][/color][color=#282828]Shaughnessy[/color][color=#000000][size=3] look bad because of this. A few courses like Cap and Vancouver Club have wells/reservoirs so they look good still. This has never happened before in the last 70 years or something like that - so I would not use reservoirs as big deciding factor unless you believe climate change will shift Vancouver from a rainforest to a dessert in the near future.[/size][/color]
[/quote]

I think access to water will become a big issue even in Vancouver.

The issue is not merely access to water .... we have the Fraser River right by us ..... rather it is access to portable (drinking water) and the fact we are using portable water for everything from industrial uses, farming, watering our lawns, flushing our toilets etc.

We have had various stages of water restrictions imposed every year for at least the last 5 years.

I played at Shaughnessy yesterday and it was really sad how bad the fairways are. Not sure how much work it will take to get them back in shape over the winter as by the time we get rain the growing season will be over.

Picture I took yesterday of the middle of the 9th fairway and a picture i took on Monday at Vancouver Golf club.

[quote name='Golfnuck' timestamp='1439416378' post='12125858']
[quote name='2bGood' timestamp='1439131292' post='12104884']

[color=#000000][size=3]Most of the private clubs will have you out for a round to check the place out - but keep in mind vancouver is in draught that has forced clubs on municipal water to not water their fairways. All these course including the supper high priced ones like [/size][/color][color=#282828]Shaughnessy[/color][color=#000000][size=3] look bad because of this. A few courses like Cap and Vancouver Club have wells/reservoirs so they look good still. This has never happened before in the last 70 years or something like that - so I would not use reservoirs as big deciding factor unless you believe climate change will shift Vancouver from a rainforest to a dessert in the near future.[/size][/color]
[/quote]

I think access to water will become a big issue even in Vancouver.

The issue is not merely access to water .... we have the Fraser River right by us ..... rather it is access to portable (drinking water) and the fact we are using portable water for everything from industrial uses, farming, watering our lawns, flushing our toilets etc.

We have had various stages of water restrictions imposed every year for at least the last 5 years.

I played at Shaughnessy yesterday and it was really sad how bad the fairways are. Not sure how much work it will take to get them back in shape over the winter as by the time we get rain the growing season will be over.

Picture I took yesterday of the middle of the 9th fairway and a picture i took on Monday at Vancouver Golf club.
[/quote]

Yes I played Shaughnessy last week and it looked pretty bad. I think if water continues to be an issue you will find a more active movement by private clubs to build reservoirs and source ground water. Given the cost of buying municipal water the payback would be very rapid and the having you own source (like the Vancouver club) would result in more of the second photo and less if the first if there is more droughts.

Given the water has been plentiful historically, most course have invested in drainage rather then water collection, so the budget would just need to be shifted.

As an aside for those not local following this thread - the 'Vancouver Club' is not actually in Vancouver. Of course the Vancouver Airport is not in Vancouver either. Vancouver is a very small geographically at about 115 square Km's.

[quote name='2bGood' timestamp='1439434822' post='12127656']
Given the water has been plentiful historically, most course have invested in drainage rather then water collection, so the budget would just need to be shifted.
[/quote]

I think this is what is going to drive our Course Superintendent nuts.

As you have pointed out in the past all of the Vancouver courses have invested a lot of money on drainage due to our normally wet climate.

Vancouver Club is no different and has spent a lot of money on drainage and dumped lots of sand on the fairways to ensure good playing conditions in the fall, winter and spring.

Ironically this works against us in these dry summers.

Very fortunate for us, the board of directors 10 years ago initiated a new irrigation system that included a couple of wells and a holding pond.

I suspect that in the future there will be pressure to stop using portable water on golf courses.

One suggestion that was brought up at yesterday's men's night would be to build huge holding tanks under all the parking lots at the various private and public clubs and to direct our normally abundant rain water there.

Sorry getting way off topic here.

Preparations for the LPGA are almost complete. Picture of 17th green.

Too bad the red stands are where I usually bail out to. Already hit the stands twice in the last four rounds. Good thing the workers wear hardhats.

[quote name='2bGood' timestamp='1439559501' post='12135972']
Coud have been option #3 - I am a girl?
[/quote]

Sorry but would have still been the same question .... Monday or Wednesday unless I misread your cap and it is +6.3.

You will have a great time on Wednesday.

Stay out of the rough and the greens are not very fast unless they speed them up from yesterday.

Bad photo but setup is almost complete.

18th hole from yesterday.

[attachment=2906034:20150813_175946.jpg]

• 1 month later...

[quote name='The Beav' timestamp='1439133299' post='12104998']
I should add that Northview G+C has two nice 18-hole Palmer designs and its about 40-45 minutes from downtown. It's not a private course.

They offer $3000/year for unlimited WEEKDAY play. If your schedule works for M-F golf that's probably the best value around.
[/quote]

Best value for golf in Vancouver and the lower mainland is the West Coast Golf Group Yearly Membership offering $3150 including GST for access to 72 holes of golf as a member.
You will have access to 72 holes of championship golf at all three West Coast Golf Group Locations 7 days a week for unlimited golf. Full membership privileges, advanced online booking, access to reciprocal golf courses, complimentary range balls (Swaneset location), discounted range key (Hazelmere location), Member Only Events, Men's and Ladies Member Only locker rooms, complimentary locker (Hazelmere location), access to the fitness centers, F&B discounts, charging privileges and much more. This membership is valid for 365 days from date of purchase. You can also add your son or daughter for an additional $787.50 per year

Check it out [url="http://tinyurl.com/WCGGMembershiponlinestore"]http://tinyurl.com/WCGGMembershiponlinestore[/url]

[quote name='GRUDD' timestamp='1443044046' post='12358386'][quote name='The Beav' timestamp='1439133299' post='12104998']

[/quote]

Best value for golf in Vancouver and the lower mainland is the West Coast Golf Group Yearly Membership offering $3150 including GST for access to 72 holes of golf as a member.
You will have access to 72 holes of championship golf at all three West Coast Golf Group Locations 7 days a week for unlimited golf. Full membership privileges, advanced online booking, access to reciprocal golf courses, complimentary range balls (Swaneset location), discounted range key (Hazelmere location), Member Only Events, Men's and Ladies Member Only locker rooms, complimentary locker (Hazelmere location), access to the fitness centers, F&B discounts, charging privileges and much more. This membership is valid for 365 days from date of purchase. You can also add your son or daughter for an additional $787.50 per year

Check it out [url="http://tinyurl.com/WCGGMembershiponlinestore"]http://tinyurl.com/WCGGMembershiponlinestore[/url]
,[/quote]
Yeah their package is pretty good. I just personally hate the layouts of Belmont and Hazelmere.

I'm also planning a move to Vancouver in the new year, although I think a private club membership is most definitely out of my price range. Wondering what the competitive golf scene is like? Used to playing at least one or maybe more open comps per week here in Ireland and play a lot of open scratch comps during the summer. Would like to know if there's anything similar going on in Vancouver?

[quote name='Rambo89' timestamp='1443046990' post='12358650']I'm also planning a move to Vancouver in the new year, although I think a private club membership is most definitely out of my price range. Wondering what the competitive golf scene is like? Used to playing at least one or maybe more open comps per week here in Ireland and play a lot of open scratch comps during the summer. Would like to know if there's anything similar going on in Vancouver?[/quote]
I'm not overly involved in the scene as a lousy hack, but the Vancouver Golf Tour runs a pretty solid show. Events all year round, good prizes, decent participation, and its just really well done. Check out their website.
I like to play in their 'A' Flight (Hdc 5-10) whenever I can and always enjoy it.

I'm sure there's other organizations as well but I'm not familiar with them.

[quote name='Rambo89' timestamp='1443046990' post='12358650']
I'm also planning a move to Vancouver in the new year, although I think a private club membership is most definitely out of my price range. Wondering what the competitive golf scene is like? Used to playing at least one or maybe more open comps per week here in Ireland and play a lot of open scratch comps during the summer. Would like to know if there's anything similar going on in Vancouver?
[/quote]

www.vancouvergolftour.com

Fraser runs a good league. Met a lot of good guys. Just wish my competitive game was up to snuff.

WhiZ

[quote name='Rambo89' timestamp='1443475974' post='12380272']
Excellent stuff. I'll definitely have a look at that. Am I required to join a club to participate? And also am I required to join a club to gain a handicap. Not sure if I can transfer my Irish handicap due to the different systems used to determine handicap.
[/quote]

No and sort of.

To get a cap you will need to be a member of a club but there are a few virtual options and Golf Canada (RCGA) has a '[color=#333333][size=4]Public Player' [/size][/color][size="3"][color="#333333"]program as well. At any rate there are work arounds. [/color][/size]

[size="3"][color="#333333"]​Also if you want to compete the VGT is one option but there is also a number of Open multi-day events around the Lower mainland and province. [/color][/size]

• 2 weeks later...