2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Ponkapoag in Canton

OrangeCrush

I played there this past weekend having never played there before. I only knew the reputation was the drainage issues after a good rain well I will say this,

THAT COURSE IS THE BIGGEST SH**HOLE I EVER PLAYED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By far THE worst conditions I have ever seen a golf course in. I understand that Canton has been under a water ban for a while but the level of course was SO bad that the lack of watering was not an excuse for the abortion of a course they are charging people to play on.

What baffles me even more is that people PAY $$$ TO PLAY THERE. If you get a terrible meal at a local pub, you don't go back to eat there. I used to work on the grounds crew at a well known private club on the North Shore 20 yrs ago. I know what it takes just to cut the tee boxes and fairways, ITS NOT BRAIN SURGERY!!

Even if they could only cut them 2x a week that is better than the once a mth cut it looks like they are doing now.

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude its an awesome course. so is leo j...actually let me qualify that its only awesome if you intend to bring beater clubs and a 30 rack of bud heavy.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 8* - Ventus Black TR 5x

3W -Ping G430 LST - Ventus Black TR 7x

5W - TM Qi10 Tour - Ventus Black TR 7x

2i - Srixon ZX MK II Axiom 105X

4-6 T200 Axiom 105s

7-AW T150 Axion 105s

54S SM9 - Accra Iseries Red

60T SM9 - Accra Iseries Red

Bettinardi QB14 LA Golf

[quote name='OrangeCrush' timestamp='1441052042' post='12240898']
I played there this past weekend having never played there before. I only knew the reputation was the drainage issues after a good rain well I will say this,

THAT COURSE IS THE BIGGEST SH**HOLE I EVER PLAYED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By far THE worst conditions I have ever seen a golf course in. I understand that Canton has been under a water ban for a while but the level of course was SO bad that the lack of watering was not an excuse for the abortion of a course they are charging people to play on.

What baffles me even more is that people PAY $$$ TO PLAY THERE. If you get a terrible meal at a local pub, you don't go back to eat there. I used to work on the grounds crew at a well known private club on the North Shore 20 yrs ago. I know what it takes just to cut the tee boxes and fairways, ITS NOT BRAIN SURGERY!!
Even if they could only cut them 2x a week that is better than the once a mth cut it looks like they are doing now.
[/quote]

It is what it is. $30 for 18 holes on the weekend has to be the cheapest golf on/near the 128 belt. Net net, I think that's good for the game.

The real kicker is that every few years it gets pitched as a US Open (or in the case of this year, Olympic) venue with "just a few" renovations.

I agree the layout if well kept would be a great course! Its like Maplegate, great layout but poor upkeep!

Instagram Link

Played it earlier (No 2 course) this year and completely agree. The other course was closed for renovations. Why would they upgrade a course when they obviously lack the skill to maintain it? Although I will say, like many public courses in the boston area, if they put some money into it, it could be nice.

[quote name='OrangeCrush' timestamp='1441052042' post='12240898']

[/quote]

Have you read Missing Links by Rick Reilly? Basically a hilarious tribute to Ponky and muni golf. Unplayable lies in tee box, etc.

It seems the state pumps money into renovations once every 20 years or so. They get it playable, let it deteriorate, and then pump more money into another renovation. Here is the latest renovation information, [url="http://friendsofthebluehills.org/ponkapoag_golf_course_restoration/"]http://friendsofthebluehills.org/ponkapoag_golf_course_restoration/[/url].

[quote name='hockeyplayer19' timestamp='1441987701' post='12299542']
It seems the state pumps money into renovations once every 20 years or so. They get it playable, let it deteriorate, and then pump more money into another renovation. Here is the latest renovation information, [url="http://friendsofthebluehills.org/ponkapoag_golf_course_restoration/"]http://friendsoftheb...se_restoration/[/url].
[/quote]

Yeah but never enough money to be transformational, always just "fixing" the most pressing issue.

I'm not saying it's a good use of state resources to do so, but it would take a ~$10M renovation to put it right.

I haven't played it in years and it was bad then. Not much public golf in the area for that price on a weekend (last I check Brookmeadow is over $70).

I did play D.W. last month and for $29 (walking) it was in better shape then I remember it.

It took 5 1/2 hours to play it on a Saturday morning but it was mostly green anyway.

Typical Mass shenanigans...

Course is owned and run by the State
State political hacks dump their no account friends and relatives into jobs at MDC facilities likes this.
Folks in charge can't get rid of the incompetent "workers" because they are all connected.
Apathy and laziness permeates - place becomes a dump
They should outsource the management and operation but politicians would never allow - they live off patronage system...

• 5 months later...

I was told when the owner died he signed everything over to the state but his stipulation was that the course could never be bought privately and always wanted it to stay affordable for the regular golfer becuase all the nearby courses were pretty much private. Of course, that doesn't bring in enough money and draws the wrong crowd to just tear the place up. Amazing layout for our area but it may be too far gone.

I was told when the owner died he signed everything over to the state but his stipulation was that the course could never be bought privately and always wanted it to stay affordable for the regular golfer becuase all the nearby courses were pretty much private. Of course, that doesn't bring in enough money and draws the wrong crowd to just tear the place up. Amazing layout for our area but it may be too far gone.

That is definitely incorrect. The course was built by the state (MDC) as a WPA project on land it already owned. The course has always been "public" in the truest sense of the word.

• 1 month later...

wow very interesting to see Silva took over the redesign. I am a HUGE Silva fan!

Instagram Link

• 1 month later...

Just played Ponkapoag yesterday for the first time in years (early morning 9 holes before work). Course #2 was in ok shape but the tee boxes were horrible with little or no grass on them, but the greens were pretty good. Overall it's fair at best but it does have decent routing. Haven't played #1 since the renovations but hope to sometime. Basically just a fair condition muni but it gets a lot of foot traffic during the year.

I spoke to a few guys who have played the redesign which I guess is only the front 9 on #1. They said you can see the work that was done but it needs a little more time to mature. They said the rough was BRUTALLY thick. All of the guys were losing balls left & right. They all said it was heading in the right direction.

Instagram Link

#1 is pretty awesome now in my opinion. 17 & 18 aren't in great shape to end the round but other than that I saw no real issues for a muni course.

Just from memory...

#2 had awesome bunker work done

#3 is a good dogleg left par 5 that has hazards on both sides the whole way

#4 is an uphill par 4, with a bunker that is above the green on the back (pretty cool)

#7 is a super tight par 4, elevated tee shot with hazards on both sides of the fairway

#8 is a very pretty par 4

#11 is a hard dogleft right par 4 with high waste in play off your left

#12 is another very pretty par 3

#13 has a super elevated tee shot, 90 degree dogleg left par 5 (you have to hit iron or hybrid off tee depending on your distance)

I personally loved it, especially compared to the condition of #2, its night and day how different the two are. Its still got a ways to go but for $30 (walking) its an unbelievable deal in my opinion.

• 2 months later...

Just played #1 this past weekend and found it to be very good. Terrific routing, but unfortunately a little burned out on many holes, especially 17 and 18 as mentioned above. The routing of the 'new' holes is fantastic with doglegs, uphill/ downhills, rolling terrain, etc. all to challenge your thinking and shots. At 6500 yards from the back tees it's pretty challenging as you can't always hit driver from the tee, so you're left with longer second shots. It was tough getting around some holes as I had no idea where they were going but overall I really enjoyed it and played really well too. Definitely going back.

Also #3 (par 5) might have the best looking green complex of any on the course.