LIVE Q&A: Callaway Golf Apex Irons and Hybrids. Mon Oct 5, 4PM ET / 1PM PT. Ask questions NOW!

HipCheck

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ron lefthanded holmes' timestamp='1443701036' post='12394664']
thanks to Callaway and WRX i play the apex line now and if i was to change to the new apex what benefits would there be,I.E i know the cup tech,but to make me change to the new version is there any difference in sound feel and distance compared to my apex and the new version,Not really looking for distance but its a bonus as these are long enough i need feel and looks,thanks
[/quote]

We'd encourage you to try the new Apex CF16 vs. your current Apex gamers. Besides distance of the 360 Face Cup, you're also going to experience more forgiveness across the face. The shaping of the 8-AW is also improved, more compact with a better hosel transition. The quadruple net forging process provides great feel and consistency part to part.

Give the new Apex a try. You won't be disappointed!

-Dave Neville
Sr. Marketing Director

[quote name='Hochbeinz' timestamp='1443963257' post='12408134']
Hi Guys,

I seem to hit my 7 iron about 20 yards further than my 8. I'm concerned that could get even worse with the cf 16 since the 7 has the cup face and the 8 do not. How do you test gapping to make sure it's consistent. Robots or a number of diffrent golfers with diverse striking abillities. Or both?
Thks for your time.
[/quote]
Yes, we do a lot of testing and have studied that particular problem. We start to dial out the Face Cup effect by some amount in the 7i in order to transition to the 8i. The 8i and higher still have an improved 2-piece design so are slightly longer than their predecessors. - AH

[quote name='Bolt' timestamp='1443947755' post='12407854']
The new irons look fantastic. What are the ball flights like between the Apex and Apex Pros? Im looking for a new set of clubs that offer a more piercing ball flight with the ablitliy to work the ball but also looking for some forgiveness. Would you recommend the standard Apex's?
[color=#282828]Did you put replace Tungsten in the long irons for the cupface technology? If so what are the advantages?[/color]
[/quote]
If you are looking for fogiveness go with the ApexCF. The addiitonal distance allows you to hit more loft into the greens. As for the tungsten question, the face cup luanched the ball higher with more ball speed.

ScottM

[quote name='kiw1982' timestamp='1443746616' post='12398280']
Can I have them as a "mixed" combo set?

Thanks
[/quote]
Answer:
You can order individual sticks that way, but they are not designed to work together seamlessly and you are likely to notice some gaps where you make the transition. As I said in one of my other answers the short irons on the Apex CF 16 are much improved over the original Apex irons so if that was your concern I would take a look at the new irons, particularly the short irons before considering a mixed set.

Luke

[quote name='dirtyboy' timestamp='1444076624' post='12414024']
Will the apex 16 blade length compare more to the XR or the XR pro?
[/quote]

It gears more toward the XR Pro Irons.

[quote name='Lisnafillansumo' timestamp='1443710409' post='12395278']
Do you feel that the Apex iron is unplayable for a higher handicap player?
I am not a big hitter by any means, but I am really excited by the potential distance gains the Apex promises. However, I have read elsewhere that the core group that these irons are aimed at are 5-15 handicappers.
If you do feel that the Apex could be gamed by a higher handicap player, then where does the new Apex hybrid (beautiful club) come into that scenario? Is it aimed solely at the better player? And if so, which current Callaway hybrids do you think may best blend in with the Apex iron set?
I personally love the new Great Big Bertha driver/fairways. So easy to hit! Thanks for your input, and keep up the excellent R&D!
[/quote]

Thanks for the question. One of the main goals of the Apex CF16 was to make a forged players iron more accessible to a wide range of handicaps. One key to that was adding the 360 Face Cup. This improves forgiveness across the face and adds distance. So while our core market for Apex CF16 is 5-15 handicappers, there will definitely be higher handicappers drawn the shape and performance of this iron.

The Apex hybrid is more of an iron replacement vs. a traditional hybrid which has its roots in fairway woods. For the higher handicapper, I would take a look at the XR hybrid or the Big Bertha hybrid.

-Dave Neville
Sr. Marketing Director

[quote name='jlukes' timestamp='1444075803' post='12413912']
And we're off!
[/quote]

Having fun on this chat! We hope you guys are too!

Do you think anyone on tour will play the standard Apex vs Apex pro's?

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='youngunz5840' timestamp='1443969008' post='12408408']
Any plans to mix in other metals to allow for a forging and a thin face similar to mizuno that's all one piece?
[/quote]
At the moment we think our construction gives the best combination of ball speed and feel in a forged iron. These irons are incredibly difficult to make, but we have invested in the forging and laser welding processes in order to beat the ball speed performance of single piece irons. - AH

I notice that the Callaway Golf UK site has still not added the new Apex family to its club line-up. Does this mean there is going to be a delay in a UK release for the clubs?
Also, having read your earlier replies to a few questions, I notice you recommended going for a set comprising 4-AW. I currently game the MD3 50 degree as my gap wedge, would you recommend the Apex AW over the MD?

[quote name='mizuno player' timestamp='1444006423' post='12410318']
Callaway is producing great stuff right now. My issues with the current Apex Pro is even at 1/4 over the swing weight is way too high for me. ( D 5-6 with dynamic gold)

Will you be able to get better swing weight numbers with the new clubs??
[/quote]
Answer:
I think that you will find that the swing weight numbers will be more in line with what you would expect with these irons. The Project X shaft that is the standard shaft in this iron has a swing weight that is in line with Dynamic Gold so if you order a custom set with Dynamic Gold the swing weights will be reasonable. The KBS shaft we used in the original Apex Pro had a lighter swing weight (requiring a heavier head) so when you put other shafts in those heads swing weights tended to get heavy.

Luke

Just make something that plays just like the X-Tours from years past and is compact like he 2009 X-forged and I'll be happy :)

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Luke,

Are we going to see more Modus variations or at least some X flex in the lineup soon? I am sure many would want the regular flex also?

So many shaft options at no charge is great...but us faster swingers need a bit less flex!!

Leif

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1444078128' post='12414180']
[/quote]
Not certain as yet, but we'll be having a conversation with Mr Stenson about his Callaway Legacy irons sometime soon, for sure! - AH

[quote name='specialed305' timestamp='1443799533' post='12400494']
I was recently fitted at a Callaway Performance Center and the prior Apex irons were the best fit. Now I'm wondering if I should wait to try the new Apex CF 16's before ordering. Where will one see the differences between the sets?

Cheers,

Eduardo
[/quote]

I would wait! You need to experience the 360 Face Cup technology in the new Apex irons. You won't be disappointed.

-Dave Neville
Sr. Marketing Director

[quote name='Callaway Golf Official' timestamp='1444078283' post='12414204']
[/quote]
Not certain as yet, but we'll be having a conversation with Mr Stenson about his Callaway Legacy irons sometime soon, for sure! - AH
[/quote]

Does that mean there aren't many sets left for him to game?!

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

What is the target handicap for the different sets of Apex irons? Last year, I chose Titleist AP1 irons after playing a wonderful set of Callaway X-20s for years because I wanted to err on the side of additional forgiveness. However, I loved the feel of the Apex irons. Will the new Apex irons help me with a higher trajectory?

[quote name='Marks23' timestamp='1444076646' post='12414030']
In the long to mid irons of the new Apex cf16, how does the offset compare to the original Apex irons? What about blade length comparison between the original and new irons?
[/quote]
Answer:
The offset is essentially identical to the original. There are some differences in shaping that may make the blade lengths appear a little different, but they are very similar in overall length.

Luke

Between the new Apex hybrid and the Apex Utility irons from last year, is the ball flight higher in the latter compared to the former? Is the main differentiation between the two the premise that the Utility is easier to flight lower and shape, etc? And are we going to see these hybrids in the bags of a few Callaway staffers?

And will we see a point in the near future where we see a perfect product, and nothing will be released after that? Or is that too much to ask for :taunt:

WITB:
SDLR White 10* Speeder 6.2x TS
Epic 14* AD TP7, Rogue 17* PX Evenflow Black
R15 3H Rogue Black 85
MP-18 MMC 4 - PW Modus 120x
50* T7, 58* PM-Grind
Ghost Spider Si Slant

[quote name='dalillama47' timestamp='1444053243' post='12412102']
With all this cup face technology, especially in the irons, what is the benefit of this compared to a regular forged iron and also one that has the body forged with a welded face? Will you loose any consistency with the strike?
[/quote]
The cup face techonolgy increases the COR by allowing the face to flex. A single peice forged iron obvious doesn't allow the face to flex. An face insert or other welded faces will have some face flex but the transitions will be thicker at the weld decreasing ball speed. As part of the development, we map the COR, ball speed, spin and launch angles to give a consistent flight and sound. Given that we can control the thickness, center of gravity and a host of other variables, you will gain consistency versus single piece forged designs.

ScottM

[quote name='Cooper' timestamp='1444076469' post='12414004']
Why do I replace my 2013 Apex with this years model? I think the 2013 are a top five iron ever.
[/quote]
Cooper, our irons technology has been advancing quickly in the last few years. The new Face Cup technology does make the new Apex CF16 irons longer than the 2013 model but with the same great feel. I agree the originals were great, but I promise you the Apex CF16 is longer. - AH

[quote name='left hand low' timestamp='1443925977' post='12407326']
What performance improvements can I expect in the pro model from the previous model? Forgiveness, ball flight, workability, feel, etc? Curious what the benefits of an upgrade might be?
[/quote]

For the new Apex Pro, we took a lot of Tour feedback on the shaping of the Forged 13 iron and brought that to a high performance forged iron. The new Apex Pro also has Progressive Flow Weighting, which uses tungsten and steel to adjust CG's for a more controlled trajectory in the the shorter irons.

Try them out, we think you'll be impressed.

-Dave Neville
Sr. Marketing Director

[quote name='Callaway Golf Official' timestamp='1444078283' post='12414204']
[/quote]

[quote name='specialed305' timestamp='1443799533' post='12400494']
I was recently fitted at a Callaway Performance Center and the prior Apex irons were the best fit. Now I'm wondering if I should wait to try the new Apex CF 16's before ordering. Where will one see the differences between the sets?

Cheers,

Eduardo
[/quote]

I would wait! You need to experience the 360 Face Cup technology in the new Apex irons. You won't be disappointed.

-Dave Neville
Sr. Marketing Director
[/quote]

Alan I have no doubt you will be haha. BTW get that man a Mini Bertha already since he loves the 3 wood so much. Higher MOI and ballspeeds!!!! But you know this already ;)

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='wldchld22' timestamp='1444076423' post='12414000']
you guys do a great job with shaft offerings. Especially stock ones. Who manages that area? Who picks out which stock shaft should be in the range?

Is it a group decision or one almighty fortune teller?
[/quote]
Answer:
Thanks, we keep up with trends on Tour, on chat boards like this one, with fitters and retailers and we work closely with all of the major shaft OEM's so we know what they have coming out and when. Then we feed all that to our almighty fortune teller for the final call.

Luke

[quote name='mizuno player' timestamp='1444006423' post='12410318']
Callaway is producing great stuff right now. My issues with the current Apex Pro is even at 1/4 over the swing weight is way too high for me. ( D 5-6 with dynamic gold)

Will you be able to get better swing weight numbers with the new clubs??
[/quote]
Yes, the original Apex Pro carried the Tour V Spec shaft as standard. This is a good and popular shaft, but its high balance point caused us some issues in custom builds with swing weights using other shafts. The new Apex Pro weight spec is centered around the Project X shaft, which is a spec more consistent with other popular iron shafts for better players we offer in customs. This should help with swing weights of custom builds. - AH

Obviously a fitting is a good way to start but just for this discussion:

--I'm currently gaming the '13 X Forged and have LOVED the irons. Shape, look and feel are tremendous while I still think still fairly forgiving for a forged iron.

However, I could DEFINITELY stand to increase my launch angle and peak height with the longer irons (4-6 noticeably).

The face cup in the longer irons seem appealing in the regular version but I prefer the shape and look of my '13 X Forged.

How would the new Apex Pro compare performance wise to the '13 X Forged? Particularly in the long irons?

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

[quote name='golfware' timestamp='1444077864' post='12414146']
Can you comment on the turf interaction of the new Apex CF's? The current Apex are so easy to hit... But just like the Md3's being, to me, a huge improvement in turf interaction compared to the Md2's... Can you provide any comments on the Apex CF's? Any really noteworthy improvements?? Thx!!
[/quote]
The long irons should play the same. However, we did learn a few new tricks from the development of the MD3 that we applied to the short irons in both of the ApexPro16 and ApexCF16. You will notice improvment in the short irons.

ScottM

[quote name='WVP' timestamp='1444073754' post='12413716']
Very important question - who's the best golfer among Callaway employees?

For the Apex CF irons - what plays a bigger role in producing the desired soft feel - the type of steel or the TPU badging?
[/quote]

The type of steel is critical. That's why we used a 1025E Mild Carbon Steel in Apex and Apex Pro. The TPU we use for sound dampening, sound definitely translates to feel so that's important as well.

In terms of the best golfer at Callaway, I would say Henrik Stenson. Lydia Ko's pretty solid as well. And then there's Hashtag Chad...

-Dave Neville
Sr. Marketing Director

I love the callaway legacy black iron that Stenson is playing, and am currently on the search for a set. Are there any advantages to the apex pro vs. the legacy black iron that Stenson plays?

Titleist TSR3 9* Diamana ZF 60s
Titleist TSR3 15* Kai'li 70s

TM SIM2 Ti 19* Kai'li 70s

Titleist TSR3 24* Atmos Blue 8s
Srixon ZX7 Project X LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX6 46,50,54,58 
Betti BB46 or QB6 or Betti BB Proto