2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Game Golf Live

I just got an email saying that Game Golf "2" is coming out. $299 for retail, $149 for previous owners if you jump on it. It's going to be NFC, so it should be like Arccos in the sense that there probably is no tap.

I ordered it, and expect it around the 16th of November.

Thoughts? About time, right? :)

+++++

New Features with GAME GOLF LIVE

Spotlight

See Your Game in Real-Time

On the course, just tag the club to the device and hit your shot. Using NFC and GPS technology, GAME GOLF LIVE instantly captures and displays your game in REAL-TIME, on your phone, as you play.

Spotlight

Learn Where Strokes are Gained or Lost

New Strokes Gained Analysis feature compares your play against a scratch golfer. See how many strokes are gained or lost due to driving, fairway play, chipping or putting.

Spotlight

Built-in Rangefinder for Critical Info

Plot your way around the course and get critical yardages to landing zones, hazards and greens for over 33,000 courses worldwide.

Spotlight

Smart GPS System Saves Phone Battery Life

The GAME GOLF system saves phone battery life with an intuitive adjustment between the device GPS and phone GPS.

+++++

Somehow, I imagine this may not be rules-compliant...

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='matchavez' timestamp='1445961165' post='12513108']
I just got an email saying that Game Golf "2" is coming out. $299 for retail, $149 for previous owners if you jump on it. It's going to be NFC, so it should be like Arccos in the sense that there probably is no tap.

+++++

Spotlight
On the course, just tag the club to the device and hit your shot. Using NFC and GPS technology, GAME GOLF LIVE instantly captures and displays your game in REAL-TIME, on your phone, as you play.

Spotlight
New Strokes Gained Analysis feature compares your play against a scratch golfer. See how many strokes are gained or lost due to driving, fairway play, chipping or putting.

Spotlight
Plot your way around the course and get critical yardages to landing zones, hazards and greens for over 33,000 courses worldwide.

Spotlight
The GAME GOLF system saves phone battery life with an intuitive adjustment between the device GPS and phone GPS.

+++++

[/quote]

I think you will find the tagging process is still there - it says 'just tag the club'. It will be legal if there is no phone used with it. Also seems the strokes gained feature will be rolled out for all users of classic and live.

[quote name='ilovenewtech' timestamp='1445963318' post='12513312']
[quote name='matchavez' timestamp='1445961165' post='12513108']

+++++

Spotlight

Spotlight

Spotlight

Spotlight

+++++

[/quote]

I think you will find the tagging process is still there - it says 'just tag the club'. It will be legal if there is no phone used with it. Also seems the strokes gained feature will be rolled out for all users of classic and live.
[/quote]

And that being said... I have no clue whats that for? See live stats? Whats the real life difference for you there? I hope they will upgrade the online software and let all have the features, I dont see any reason to upgrade the hardware.

[quote name='Zaddn' timestamp='1445962210' post='12513238']
i got this email as well.

i'm curious if the strokes gained metric will be available for the original system. this will be a big factor.

as far as the rules-compliant, the website says will be tournament legal if you don't use the phone (aka, if used akin to the original unit).
[/quote]

The support section of the GameGolf site states that web SW/Frontend will be the same regardless of whether you use new Live or Classic and specifically states that the StrokesGained will be available for Classic users.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/Frankfurt

I'll send $25 via paypal to anyone who would be kind enough to send me the 50% off promo code. Easy money for anyone not looking to upgrade in the next couple of weeks.

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue 6.5 75g - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue TX 88g - 41 in.

TM Stealth Rescue 22* 4H - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 90s
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

[quote name='larciel' timestamp='1445996560' post='12516326']
so only adv of this is that you can see where and how far you hit right away on your phone?

I love my gamegolf but after 16 months, battery is going down alarmingly. (doesn't fully charge even when charged for 1+ day) and this live feature you can get with golfpad gps tag,($99) no?
[/quote]

Have you opened the unit up? I suspect the battery is replaceable.

I'm not seeing the advantage of the new unit. To me, they just need to concentrate on updating stats in the website. They have ALL of the information needed.

Also, as a computer programmer, I've been poking around writing my own software to read the round. I'd like to be able to throw that data into my own database and do queries. I'll let you guys know if I need some testers. Just getting into it.

I would be very interested to see if the unit calculates green remaining distance to pin, or if it is all just coordinates. I'm guessing the unit is just a bunch of long-Lat tables with the associated tag id.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

[quote name='matchavez' timestamp='1446060176' post='12519542']
I would be very interested to see if the unit calculates green remaining distance to pin, or if it is all just coordinates. I'm guessing the unit is just a bunch of long-Lat tables with the associated tag id.
[/quote]

The device has no idea where the pin is. The pin is set on the website when you upload the road.

The data has to be just date/time, some sort of course ID, hole number, long/lat, and tag ID.

I need to get out to a course to tag a few and not upload them to the site so I can mess around reading the data.

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1446033810' post='12517440']
so only adv of this is that you can see where and how far you hit right away on your phone?

I love my gamegolf but after 16 months, battery is going down alarmingly. (doesn't fully charge even when charged for 1+ day) and this live feature you can get with golfpad gps tag,($99) no?
[/quote]

I'm not seeing the advantage of the new unit. To me, they just need to concentrate on updating stats in the website. They have ALL of the information needed.

Also, as a computer programmer, I've been poking around writing my own software to read the round. I'd like to be able to throw that data into my own database and do queries. I'll let you guys know if I need some testers. Just getting into it.
[/quote]

If you do need testers I'd LOVE to be one, had a GameGolf for two years but I don't use it much anymore because I don't find the stats particularly helpful just descriptive.

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1446033810' post='12517440']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I guess the main work is done on GG's servers. There they have all the info for the geo fencing (what is fairway, rough, bunker, green) etc.
In order to make any use of the samples taken from the actual device you will need to do a lot of processing and additional information on the course. Not sure whether it will be worth the work when they roll out the Strokes gained.

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1446081240' post='12521344']
[/quote]

The device has no idea where the pin is. The pin is set on the website when you upload the road.

The data has to be just date/time, some sort of course ID, hole number, long/lat, and tag ID.

I need to get out to a course to tag a few and not upload them to the site so I can mess around reading the data.
[/quote]

Not exactly, regarding pin placement. When you bend over to pick up the ball, it knows because the accelerometer and level get tipped, and it "guesses" that's where the pin is... just like it would know about an unmarked shot. It may be after-the-fact, though. It isn't going to help so much going into it... and that part will be GPS/phone app related, I would reckon.

My guess is it produces a SQLite table that goes something like: [id, datetime, activity (tag, power on), tag_id, long double, lat double, gyro position, maybe power status]

And that the embedded activity is going to be a successful NFC tag or a specific condition of the accelerometer/gyro triggers a record.

And yes, mentally, my biggest challenge is not over-thinking. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Had one since last winter. Went for the update. My old spreadsheet have more detailed info but took more work. Approach shot distribution proved worth it alone.

Ping G LS - UST proforce V2 7
Ping G 3 Wood
Apex 18
Srixon 965 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.5
52 Titleist, 60/64 Callaway pm grind
Black Lab BL-2 | Bellum Winmore 707 | Circa 62 #3

[quote name='matchavez' timestamp='1446144762' post='12524648']
[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1446081240' post='12521344']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Not exactly, regarding pin placement. When you bend over to pick up the ball, it knows because the accelerometer and level get tipped, and it "guesses" that's where the pin is... just like it would know about an unmarked shot. It may be after-the-fact, though. It isn't going to help so much going into it... and that part will be GPS/phone app related, I would reckon.
[/quote]

Not according to the GG FAQ:

"Because hole location changes every day, we do not provide the exact hole location for each green. By default we place the pin in the center of the green, and then place the approximate location of the hole within 2 feet of your second or third putt. There's no need to tag the position of the hole, as we do not provide putting stats in feet (measurements) and instead track how many putts you take, average putts per hole, and average number of 1 putts, 2 putts, 3 putts,"

• 2 months later...

So again, what's new about the new "live" version? How does it differ from the original?

Nevermind... found this article:

http://www.wareable.com/golf/new-game-golf-live-adds-real-time-smartphone-insights-for-your-round-1854

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]