Mike Emery's Evolved Fundamentals of Golf (Review)

drewtaylor21

Dan, can you explain/translate for me: "players don't get back into flexion in transition"?

(Apologies I do not mean to continue off-topic, but I think this is an important idea for me and I am guessing it relates to the hip/leg action discussed earlier?)

Right hip staying deep as hips push back left side clears. In the backswing your actually losing forward bend in your hips. Can feel this if you make a backswing with rear against a wall. Tailbone moves off wall as right side moves to the wall. Coming down the tailbone needs to move back to the wall without right side working out in transition. Hips actually increase in forward bend

I had amazing results with Mikes method on the course over the weekend but then I went to the range tonight and hit every shot under the sun - hook, slice, straight, fat, thin.

I got a really crappy video (my tripod is broken so tried to balance my phone on me bag, came out really dark too unfortunately)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwhYT3K96u0

I had been doing some work with an instructor a while ago to flatten my left wrist at the top and it looks like I've over done it and now the club looks very laid off

I had amazing results with Mikes method on the course over the weekend but then I went to the range tonight and hit every shot under the sun - hook, slice, straight, fat, thin.

I got a really crappy video (my tripod is broken so tried to balance my phone on me bag, came out really dark too unfortunately)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwhYT3K96u0

I had been doing some work with an instructor a while ago to flatten my left wrist at the top and it looks like I've over done it and now the club looks very laid off

Wear white next time, lol.

Dan, can you explain/translate for me: "players don't get back into flexion in transition"?

(Apologies I do not mean to continue off-topic, but I think this is an important idea for me and I am guessing it relates to the hip/leg action discussed earlier?)

Right hip staying deep as hips push back left side clears. In the backswing your actually losing forward bend in your hips. Can feel this if you make a backswing with rear against a wall. Tailbone moves off wall as right side moves to the wall. Coming down the tailbone needs to move back to the wall without right side working out in transition. Hips actually increase in forward bend

My instructor has worked with me on regaining flexion for a long time and I've never been able to get it. It's easy to do in slow motion but to make it a dynamic move has always been the struggle. I was messing around in the living room last night after reading some of this thread and found that it seems like I could regain the flexion if I did a jumping kind of move on the downswing. It makes sense, if I want to make a jump shot basketball motion I first get some flexion in my hips. Would this "jumping" feel be something to try to work on to get that flexion?

My instructor has worked with me on regaining flexion for a long time and I've never been able to get it. It's easy to do in slow motion but to make it a dynamic move has always been the struggle. I was messing around in the living room last night after reading some of this thread and found that it seems like I could regain the flexion if I did a jumping kind of move on the downswing. It makes sense, if I want to make a jump shot basketball motion I first get some flexion in my hips. Would this "jumping" feel be something to try to work on to get that flexion?

It's exactly what should happen. You go from extension at top of swing to flexion in transition and the extension again through inpact

Iteach

Could you explain to me why the tailbone moves off the wall in the backswing, I was under impression that tailbone keeps same depth and right hip goes deeper.

Interested to know what's going on as my tailbone moves closer to target line by a couple of inches , is this correct? Eg the right hip gets deeper then the tailbone and left hip hinge outwards on the right hip which stays in position after it has got that initial depth?

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

Iteach

Could you explain to me why the tailbone moves off the wall in the backswing, I was under impression that tailbone keeps same depth and right hip goes deeper.

Interested to know what's going on as my tailbone moves closer to target line by a couple of inches , is this correct? Eg the right hip gets deeper then the tailbone and left hip hinge outwards on the right hip which stays in position after it has got that initial depth?

You were under the wrong impression. Right knee and hip work deeper and left knee and hip work towards the target line. You cannot do this without tailbone moving off the wall. You cannot turn your hips without the right hip being deeper than your tailbone. If your hips doing lose forward flexion you'd

find your hip turn extremely restricted.

Iteach

You were under the wrong impression. Right knee and hip work deeper and left knee and hip work towards the target line. You cannot do this without tailbone moving off the wall. You cannot turn your hips without the right hip being deeper than your tailbone. If your hips doing lose forward flexion you'd

So the tailbone does not remain in the same place as it was at address viewed dtl?

It moves forward?

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Iteach

So the tailbone does not remain in the same place as it was at address viewed dtl?

It moves forward?

You cannot see your tailbone from DTL but yes it moves forward. I've said this 3 times now. Can't make it any clearer. It's plain as day to see if you look at any swing shot from the target side. Or if you look at any 3D

Ok is this because there is more going on in the right hip (internal rotation ) opposed to what is going on in the left hip socket ? So the majority of movement is based in the right hip as the pelvis hinges out on it ( moving tailbone out and left hip out )

If so this would implicate a bias in movement in the backswing, so is the reverse true in downswing ?

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

I was reading Mike's book for the third time today. It seems to me that what Mike promotes with the legs in transition is exactly what George Gankas promotes.....right knee gains flexion and stays in ER....left knee stays down, is in ER, and moving around. Mike says this makes a slide of the hips almost impossible. For those that are following both threads and have Mike's book....do you agree?

I was reading Mike's book for the third time today. It seems to me that what Mike promotes with the legs in transition is exactly what George Gankas promotes.....right knee gains flexion and stays in ER....left knee stays down, is in ER, and moving around. Mike says this makes a slide of the hips almost impossible. For those that are following both threads and have Mike's book....do you agree?

I do.

All that is fine ....

But..., this is what Hank thinks.

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/hank-haney-how-to-stop-missing-right

All that is fine ....

But..., this is what Hank thinks.

http://www.golfdiges...p-missing-right

Ooof. Painful

PJ, yes I would agree that Mike and GG promote a similar lower body move.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

It's exactly what should happen. You go from extension at top of swing to flexion in transition and the extension again through impact

I have never heard it put so simply, in my 20 plus years of golf instruction. Thank you. If I were a golf instructor, after grip, stance and alignment, this is what I would drill into students.

As this is a Mike thread, I note also that Mike's "scrunch" move and hip tightening when knees are bent in transition is the same thing.

M6 10.5
M4 3W
Titleist 816h 21
CF19 5-AW
SM6 54 & Cally PM 60
Byron Morgan 612
V1X/ERC Soft

Golfbeat and Drew.......thanks for your responses. Nice to get confirmation of what you think you understand.

Mike spoke to this in post #109. Agree seems similar but not the same.

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:41 PM

View PostQB74, on 19 January 2016 - 04:35 PM, said:

Mike, I hope you don't mind me posting this:

It seems in the two bad examples by George the left hip would have no energy to pull the upper right, in the good example the left hip goes lower, upper right forward and at the end at p6 the POS ready to pull the upper left back.

If I'm completely off-track please let me know.

-------------------

From what I saw in that video, I agree with him. But I am not a fan the right hip going backwards like demonstrated in the third example. That is where I prefer a pulling motion from the lower left side.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

I think it is a case if semantics and definitions but want to clear up internal vs external rotation of the hips in the swing. You say the right hip externally rotates in the backswing. My guess is you say that because the entire pelvis rotates making it appear that the right hip is moving away from the center of the body. That isn't how internal/external rotation is defined though. In reality the joint motion is internal because the femur is essentially rotating toward the center of the body. The movement of the femur relative to the center of the pelvis defines internal vs external rotation for the hip joints. We aren't asking for the hip to make a different movement but we are using different terms and that can be confusing for people when instructors are on different pages with terminology.

Yes you are exactly correct. I have to watch myself in explaining because a lot of times I just picture the pelvis moving, but in fact is internal.

Thank you for clarifying,

Mike

This exchange is worth remembering when talking about the hips.

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

I think it is a case if semantics and definitions but want to clear up internal vs external rotation of the hips in the swing. You say the right hip externally rotates in the backswing. My guess is you say that because the entire pelvis rotates making it appear that the right hip is moving away from the center of the body. That isn't how internal/external rotation is defined though. In reality the joint motion is internal because the femur is essentially rotating toward the center of the body. The movement of the femur relative to the center of the pelvis defines internal vs external rotation for the hip joints. We aren't asking for the hip to make a different movement but we are using different terms and that can be confusing for people when instructors are on different pages with terminology.

Yes you are exactly correct. I have to watch myself in explaining because a lot of times I just picture the pelvis moving, but in fact is internal.

Thank you for clarifying,

Mike

This exchange is worth remembering when talking about the hips.

After re-reading this exchange and experimenting a bit without a club (about all I can do here now!), there seems to be at least 2 ways to do this: 1 is to just move the right hip back while your leg has no tension and 2 is to feel an internal rotation of the femur which pushes the right hip back, but it adds an element of tension in the inner/upper thigh. I don't know which is "correct" or best for me, but I do know that the thoughts of "right hip back" or "right knee straightens slightly" never seems to stick no matter how much I try to ingrain it, but I have never added this aspect of leg tension. The moment I test out the muscle memory on these thoughts, it is evaporated. I'm going to mess around with some of these feels and see if the element of tension makes it more of a memorable feel.

Golfbeat and Drew.......thanks for your responses. Nice to get confirmation of what you think you understand.

Mike spoke to this in post #109. Agree seems similar but not the same.

Posted 19 January 2016 - 04:41 PM

View PostQB74, on 19 January 2016 - 04:35 PM, said:

Mike, I hope you don't mind me posting this:

https://instagram.com/p/BAFghynCtxF/

It seems in the two bad examples by George the left hip would have no energy to pull the upper right, in the good example the left hip goes lower, upper right forward and at the end at p6 the POS ready to pull the upper left back.

If I'm completely off-track please let me know.

-------------------

From what I saw in that video, I agree with him. But I am not a fan the right hip going backwards like demonstrated in the third example. That is where I prefer a pulling motion from the lower left side.

Maybe I didn't understand it as well as I thought. What does he mean by the right hip going backwards as opposed to a pulling motion from the left?

So after my terrible video yesterday I got a better one tonight.

Mainly focusing on the frisbee flexion at impact and it's really helping me compress the ball and seems to help me shallow the shaft a little.

Need to work on the hip action in transition more but overall a very nice ballstriking session.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBDfhKkBp9wfFcpof3h_Du0vj6CMAWs8QHHelU0/

Just got the book as a gift. A preliminary scan looks like it's quite comprehensive. I'll be giving it a read over the weekend.

Titleist GT3 10* w/ VA Composites Drago 65X

Titleist GT 3 15* w/ AD DI Black 7X

Titleist GT 2 21* w/ Hzrdus Black 5G 80X

Titleist TSR 3 24* w/ AD DI 95X

Titleist T100 5-9 w/ Tour Issue X100

Vokey 46F, 50F, 54S, 60M, Raw w/ Tour Issue S400 Onyx

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat I, Chromatic Bronze