The Official Wishon Sterling single length iron discussion

kenstl

I made my own set of single length irons, but I do need a bit of help. What is the suggested strategy for the wedges? Same length as the irons? Same length as each other but shorter than the irons?

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G

I made my own set of single length irons, but I do need a bit of help. What is the suggested strategy for the wedges? Same length as the irons? Same length as each other but shorter than the irons

How did you "make" a set of single length irons? If you just cut down a regular set, it wont work without SEVERE modifications.

In the case of the Sterlings. 5-SW is all same length, lie and weight. So yes the wedges are the same length as the irons. 55* is same as 5 iron.

G

I made my own set of single length irons, but I do need a bit of help. What is the suggested strategy for the wedges? Same length as the irons? Same length as each other but shorter than the irons

How did you "make" a set of single length irons? If you just cut down a regular set, it wont work without SEVERE modifications.

In the case of the Sterlings. 5-SW is all same length, lie and weight. So yes the wedges are the same length as the irons. 55* is same as 5 iron.

I used the 2011 TMAG MC irons with the removable weights. I'm going to post a thread with the whole process, but I want to finish the wedges. I did it as a little test to see if I wanted to purchase a set like Mr. Wishon's Sterling irons.

Im on the lookout for some lightweight wedge heads now, anyone have any advice?

'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

G

I used the 2011 TMAG MC irons with the removable weights. I'm going to post a thread with the whole process, but I want to finish the wedges. I did it as a little test to see if I wanted to purchase a set like Mr. Wishon's Sterling irons.

You dont seem to get it. Club heads is made for the SW match system, so there is no light weight head options out there unless you buy a set like Sterling, because why would they make a light head option for wedges? its one or the other, and Single length heads with a weight of 275 grams is not the norm out there.

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

G

You dont seem to get it. Club heads is made for the SW match system, so there is no light weight head options out there unless you buy a set like Sterling, because why would they make a light head option for wedges? its one or the other, and Single length heads with a weight of 275 grams is not the norm out there.

I do get that, Howard. But, I'm quite sure that there are some wedge heads out there, somewhere in the last 50 years of club making that are a little lighter and won't need as much weight reduction. I'm talking about some in the 290-295g range, not the 275g range. Hell, even some that someone practiced porting on and look like garbage, but weighed less, I would be interested in.

I would also be interested in some other "work around" options, if any exist. I mentioned that this is a "test run", so I would have thought that it was clear I was t looking for perfect, just a reasonable approximation. These are the reason why I asked the questions about wedges. Not because I think there are some magical new wedges at 275g.

You offer a ton of great knowledge to the site, and for that, I sincerely say thank you. But, you obviously assumed that I was being obstinant on purpose. I understand how you would, this being the Internet and all, but all I'm asking for is advice. I promise you, I defiantly "get it."

'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

G

I do get that, Howard. But, I'm quite sure that there are some wedge heads out there, somewhere in the last 50 years of club making that are a little lighter and won't need as much weight reduction. I'm talking about some in the 290-295g range, not the 275g range. Hell, even some that someone practiced porting on and look like garbage, but weighed less, I would be interested in.

I would also be interested in some other "work around" options, if any exist. I mentioned that this is a "test run", so I would have thought that it was clear I was t looking for perfect, just a reasonable approximation. These are the reason why I asked the questions about wedges. Not because I think there are some magical new wedges at 275g.

You offer a ton of great knowledge to the site, and for that, I sincerely say thank you. But, you obviously assumed that I was being obstinant on purpose. I understand how you would, this being the Internet and all, but all I'm asking for is advice. I promise you, I defiantly "get it."

Dan, I don't know the actual weight, but I think Mizuno still makes B-version heads for longer builds that are a little lighter overall. I'm not sure if they do this for wedges, but it might be worth an ask. Like Howard said, though...

edit: Or maybe those are heavier? I keep forgetting, sorry...

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Thank you both, great ideas!

'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

G

You have enter a tread called The Official Wishon Sterling Length, and you seems to want anything but that product, so no, you did not get it.

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

Sorry, I did not realize that I was only allowed to ask questions in "Howard approved" locations. There are only 2 threads actively discussing single length clubs and I asked my question in both, just in case.

Tom Wishon strikes me as the type of kind and generous person who would offer advice to me, no matter what thread I asked my question in. You however, seem to believe that being rude and derisive when someone asks for help is perfectly fine. You have the option to not reply.

Relax man.

'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

Due to a recent golf trip, I got in 99 holes of golf over the past 5 days so I got a lot of swings in with the set of Wishon Sterling irons. I have to say, I like them! I think it will take a season to see how my handicap is effected to see if I can say I had a real improvement in my consistency, but I am really liking the consistent set up for each swing. I started this season at a 10 hc so I will use that as a base line but I plan on playing with them exclusively for the season

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

Sorry, I did not realize that I was only allowed to ask questions in "Howard approved" locations. There are only 2 threads actively discussing single length clubs and I asked my question in both, just in case.

Tom Wishon strikes me as the type of kind and generous person who would offer advice to me, no matter what thread I asked my question in. You however, seem to believe that being rude and derisive when someone asks for help is perfectly fine. You have the option to not reply.

Relax man.

I think what Howard is ultimately trying to point out is that you are trying to make a single length/lie set with heads not designed for that purpose, and that you may not be able to modify enough to achieve your goal.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Round 2 in the books with the Sterlings. Im on vacation and winds are blowing 15-20 so not the best testing situation. Still dont believe im having any distance issues long or short. If there is one, its small and non issue.

I bladed a couple bunker shots using the SW at full length. I then choked down and it was not an issue. I still want to try them at full length. They feel like it would be an easier out. I dont know what the bounce on the wedges is but it feels low. Need to get used to that. Im used to bounce of 10+ with a wide sole. Without looking at the website im guessing the wedge bounce is about 6 or maybe 8? I could be wrong. The wedges feel light and I need to get used to that too. I like them. The lighter weight seems to give you better feel, Im just not used to it. My 60* Titleist wedge feels like a brick compared to my Sterling SW.

Issue I am having is hooking the short irons and slicing the longer irons. This is just a personal swing issue I have, its not a club issue so I dont fault them. I was having this issue with my AP1s, but, the Sterlings seem to exaggerate it more. Need to work on this.

Round 3 tomorrow.

Wilson Tour Blade Lightweight PW was used by another guy in his build. He stated that it weighed in at 275g stock. Here is that thread; http://www.golfwrx.c...h#entry13672496

http://www.ebay.com/...YkAAOSwNSxVXhK2

There was a brief fad in the 80's for very light swingweight clubs- MacGregor used to feature the Synchrolite and Ram the Tour Grind Featherlite, proline like the Wilson Tour Blade. All were forged so would be very easy to bend to spec.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Golden-Ram-Tour-Grind-Forged-Featherlite-PW-Pitching-Wedge-Factory-Steel-Regular-/162006256749?hash=item25b8534c6d:g:IBYAAOSwwpdW5f66

Nickent 4DX Evolver 10.5*  UST Proforce V2 HL 60R

Ping G5 13.5*                  Aerotech Power Coil 50S                        

Innovex RLS 17* 4W    Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Tipped R

Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4H   Litespeed R

Adams A7 5-GW   UST Proforce 85R

Golfsmith/Spalding Cash-In 55/12 SW    Cleveland Action Lite S     

Cleveland TA 900 gunmetal 60*  Nicklaus Driveshaft R+

Maltby Top Site TS-6  putter 41"

Mark Crossfield review

Just watched the review. Sounds like you hit it out of the park again Tom. Well done.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

I purchased a set of XR Pros last year with recoil 110s. Unfortunately, I've played little or no golf for 9 months. I am too inconsistent for these clubs. I had called Callaway about trading in towards the XRs I played the year before. I placed an order for new Apex CF16. What does this have to do with Wishon SLI, you ask? I've been a Wishon enthusiast for many years, as some might know. When I heard he designed a set of SLI, I was intrigued. When I saw Crossfield's review and actual testing of the gapping, I was convinced. I called Callaway today and cancelled the order. I ordered a set of Sterling SLIs instead. The only possible regret is losing my new favorite recoils, but I'm eager to give Tom's shafts a spin. I can always reshaft, if necessary. I'm willing to take the risk.

[size=3][color=#ff0000][b]I'm a business/recreational golfer with a 100 MPH driver swing speed, and a 10 HC.[/b][/color][/size]

[size=3]Ping K15, 9*, Motore F3 70s | [/size][size=3]Titleist 915F, 15*, Blue 70s | [/size]T[size=3]itleist 915H, 18*, Rogue 85Hs [/size][size=3]| [/size]T[size=3]itleist 816H2, 23*, [/size][size=3]Speeder HB8.8[/size]
[size=3]Callaway XR Pro 5-AW, Recoil 110 | [/size][size=3]Ping Glide 54*/SS, 58*/WS | [/size][size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR Shea H[/size]
[size=3]Golf Pride CP2 Pro Grips | [/size][size=3]Wilson Duo/Spin | [/size][size=3]Leupold GX-3i[/size]

Played 27 today. Still have 15-20 mph winds. Struggled really bad the first 9 holes. To the point I wished I had not brought them with me and was ready to toss them on Ebay. Things started to come around the back 9.

The clubs inspire huge confidence. You feel like you can throw darts with them all day. But I have not been throwing too many darts. The 5 iron clearly has a lower trajectory, not the easiest to get off the ground. Still unsure of distance losses. If any, its minimal.

Love the concept of the irons, not 100% sold on them.

I have had my Sterlings for about 6 or 7 weeks. Played them 10-15 rounds. There was definitely a learning period the first few rounds except for the "shorter" irons, they worked instantly. I am a tall player so longer short irons and wedges made a positive impact on my game from day 1. I have of course been playing over length irons before but they are quite heavy feeling. With the Sterling 8 iron head weight this is no longer a problem. Actually, the wedges are my favorites now. Who could have thought that a sw at 6 iron length with a 8 iron head weight would be the perfect fit… go figure.

The long irons are not "short" in my set at 37.5, closer to "standard". That said, the 5 iron still launches lower than normal for me despite the high cor head. This has to do with the 23 deg loft I guess. Overall, I have no issues with gapping. For example, my PW is in the 120-130 range, most often right at 125, which is the same as other sets. This has to do with two things: One is that loft is more important than club length when it comes down to total shot length and second, the lighter head takes "down" some of the mass which (?) generates length.

I have been a single digit player for 15 years. Excited to see where the Sterlings can take me. Overall, I am impressed and very happy. Tried my Callaway Apex for fun the other day. I am quickly back to the Sterlings.

Had mine for less than a week but hit them a fair amount. Wedges are the biggest surprise. I was worried about 36.75 inch Gap and SW but full swings are great. I tended to pull my wedges due to the posture required to hit them but definitely not these. Distances are good and although I have had issues with ball flight with the 5 iron I have still done OK with it. Really pleased overall. I also have to say that the experience buying directly from Sterling irons has been fantastic. I have been fit a bunch of times for Pings and others so I had a good idea of what the numbers should be but took advise on some aspects and they nailed it. Really only thing in question is lie angle and if you were fit for a set of irons recently and know the lie angel of your 8 iron the rest is pretty simple. I know Mr. Wishon is a huge advocate for getting fit and everyone should but I really do think these will be easier to sell to the masses than a set of X brand clubs. I will also add that if you are coming from a super duper game improvement iron where you get pretty much the same distance regardless of where on the face you hit it this will be different. BUT You will hit it on the center of the face more often with these.... I do!!

My Sterling irons are being built. Tom personally bent the heads and checked the lies and lofts. That's kind of fun. Tom having a hand in building your clubs makes is a bit more special. I also ordered a 950HC (new model) high COR fairway wood from another builder. Looking forward to getting that in a few days. My driver is good to go, and I bought new Titleist hybrids last year. Should be a good bag for a while.

[size=3][color=#ff0000][b]I'm a business/recreational golfer with a 100 MPH driver swing speed, and a 10 HC.[/b][/color][/size]

[size=3]Ping K15, 9*, Motore F3 70s | [/size][size=3]Titleist 915F, 15*, Blue 70s | [/size]T[size=3]itleist 915H, 18*, Rogue 85Hs [/size][size=3]| [/size]T[size=3]itleist 816H2, 23*, [/size][size=3]Speeder HB8.8[/size]
[size=3]Callaway XR Pro 5-AW, Recoil 110 | [/size][size=3]Ping Glide 54*/SS, 58*/WS | [/size][size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR Shea H[/size]
[size=3]Golf Pride CP2 Pro Grips | [/size][size=3]Wilson Duo/Spin | [/size][size=3]Leupold GX-3i[/size]

Dbogie guy

I presume you or your builder bought the heads and is assembling outside the sterling web site build.

What shafts length etc did you.choose?

I ordered through the Sterling website. I ordered a new Wishon fairway from another fitter.

I chose the 36.5" 8-iron length. 3* flat. I wanted another set of UST Recoils, which I like a lot.

However, the profile of the Wishon S2S Black 85 was nearly the same.

Otherwise, I was going to go with the Recoil 780 ES, which is 86 grams. And, it was much cheaper.

If this experiment is successful, I can see myself getting a set with recoils. I'm keeping my XR Pros with the Recoil 110s until I'm satisfied.

Got another round in today. Winds were low. Played really well with them. Best round yet and Im starting to understand how to hit them. Theres been a little bit of a learning curve for me thats taken a few rounds to get worked out. But I think I got it now.

What I like most about them is the same ball position and stance with every club. Its a HUGE confidence booster. Theres no thought process about ball position or stance. There's no odd "this does not feel quite right" situations when setting up on the ball. I have played with people before who have trouble getting comfortable when setting up on the ball. That does not happen with these.

There seems to be a lot of doubt and resistance from people about them. I tried to talk with the guy I was paired up with today about them. He was like "meh" and did not think much about it. And this guy was spraying his irons everywhere. I was like "Why is this guy poo-pooing the idea of SLs when he cant his his progressive set?" Strange. Its like being in love with a girlfriend who's abusive to you. There is DEFINATLY a place for these in the game. I dont think we will see OEMs selling these on the shelves unless a couple big names start playing them. But I do think we might see some offering them as a "custom shop" option or something. I think the OEM have too much money and 100 years of history invested in progressive sets to turn back now. Just like you dont see them selling full sets of hybrids. People buy what ithe top players play. Even if they dont work for them.

Anyone who says these are a "fad" or say "The EQLs were a failure and these will be too" have no idea what they are talking about. Are they for everyone? No. Im convinced they have a spot though. Still not sure if they would be better for high cappers or low cappers. At this point I thnk they would be a good option for any amateur. Most cant hit progressive sets worth a damn, so trying a single length set could not hurt any. I say they upside outweighs any negatives for most people.

To those who have ordered a set of these Sterlngs, I think you will like them. They're just simple and make the game slightly easier and more fun.

Got another round in today. Winds were low. Played really well with them. Best round yet and Im starting to understand how to hit them. Theres been a little bit of a learning curve for me thats taken a few rounds to get worked out. But I think I got it now.

What I like most about them is the same ball position and stance with every club. Its a HUGE confidence booster. Theres no thought process about ball position or stance. There's no odd "this does not feel quite right" situations when setting up on the ball. I have played with people before who have trouble getting comfortable when setting up on the ball. That does not happen with these.

There seems to be a lot of doubt and resistance from people about them. I tried to talk with the guy I was paired up with today about them. He was like "meh" and did not think much about it. And this guy was spraying his irons everywhere. I was like "Why is this guy poo-pooing the idea of SLs when he cant his his progressive set?" Strange. Its like being in love with a girlfriend who's abusive to you. There is DEFINATLY a place for these in the game. I dont think we will see OEMs selling these on the shelves unless a couple big names start playing them. But I do think we might see some offering them as a "custom shop" option or something. I think the OEM have too much money and 100 years of history invested in progressive sets to turn back now. Just like you dont see them selling full sets of hybrids. People buy what ithe top players play. Even if they dont work for them.

Anyone who says these are a "fad" or say "The EQLs were a failure and these will be too" have no idea what they are talking about. Are they for everyone? No. Im convinced they have a spot though. Still not sure if they would be better for high cappers or low cappers. At this point I thnk they would be a good option for any amateur. Most cant hit progressive sets worth a damn, so trying a single length set could not hurt any. I say they upside outweighs any negatives for most people.

To those who have ordered a set of these Sterlngs, I think you will like them. They're just simple and make the game slightly easier and more fun.

Nice review. The idea if SLI is extremely simple. Folks don't like change. And, being pragmatic is not part of golf buying. Most folks want to play what the pros play. Why? Ego. It's like watching an NBA game and running out to buy size 13 BB shoes when you wear size 9. I'm an engineer. I have tried to make my equipment as useful and helpful as possible. When I had time to play golf, I was a single digit HC. With wife, kids, career, etc. I need ALL the help I can get. How many rounds of golf have you played where you made a slight mistake calculation in your setup? I'll go a month or months without hitting a 5 or 4 iron. So, I'll set up, miscalculate ball position, and miss hit. If I drop another ball. Wham! Near perfect. I see this as a real Godsend for people who have skill and no time to practice irons.

Well... That has to be one of the fastest transactions I've had. My new Sterling irons were delivered to my office this morning. Less than 5 calendar days from order to delivery. And, Tom said he bent the heads and checked the lies personally. The final product looks excellent. I would argue they looks as nice, or better than any major OEM equipment. I'm optimistic that the Wishon shafts will perform as well at the Recoils. Hopefully, I will get to hit them in the next day or so.