The Official Wishon Sterling single length iron discussion

kenstl

The SLI concept has always interested me and this is exactly how I'd do it. Simplify the longer clubs in the bag, and keep the shorter ones progressive like usual. I know that kinda "misses the point" of the SLI concept, but to me, those longer clubs are always the ones where my swing gets out of whack. From 8 down to LW I'm fine just with my normal swing, but once I get that 5i out and try to hit it 200 yards I'm jumpy pulling things and flailing at it like a crazy person.

It's the same swing. Really, the same swing. No, seriously, you use the same swing. I'm not kidding; it's the same swing.

Before purchasing a set of Sterlings I suggested the same thing, too. Take advantage of the shorter low-lofted irons and don't lose the accuracy of shorter high-lofted irons and wedges. I discounted the potential advantage of grooving one swing.

I was wrong.

As others (and I) have posted, there is a mental adjustment, but it goes both ways. You can't believe you're holding a 4-iron--it looks like something from a kid's set. And you can't imagine taking a full whack at that gap wedge--it'll go 50 yards too far, right? Wrong.

I've had the Sterlings (4-GW) in my bag for 17 months. I haven't touched my traditional (2016) Ping irons since. I'm never going back.

One other note: I recently purchased the Sterling SW and LW. I love them for full-swing shots, and I love them for chipping. But I struggle with them when hitting out of the sand or lob shots around the greens. The clubs have the same lie angle as the rest of the set--typical for an 8-iron. When I open up the blade to hit lofted shots I get toe drag. I went back to my traditional SW and LW for the past month, but I think I'm going to give them one more try. The advantage of hitting the full shots just like the other irons is just that compelling. I'll figure out what to do with the clubface open (and toe dragging).

A "standard" 8 iron lie angle is 63.5 degrees. A standard wedge is usually 64. It doesn't make much sense to me that you'd even be able to notice .5 degree lie angle difference. Plus the club is longer than your wedge so technically playing more upright than normal. Maybe take the wedges in the get checked. I've had a few heads come from diamond golf that were supposed to be adjusted to a specific lie angle and even after paying them to adjust them when I built the club they looked flatter. Sure enough I threw them onto the loft and lie machine and they were 62 degree lie angle so 1 degree flatter than standard and were "supposedly" bent by diamond golf to 65 so effectivly 3 degrees off. I've had a lot of issues like this since wishon sold to diamond golf so wouldn't surprise me if you checked the wedge and they were off.

That is interesting.Unless the adjustments are being done by a new guy.However i cant imagine the loft/lies not overseen by the someone else

Diamond golf have a great reputation,should contact them i think Gary would be workshop manager and Alan is operations director

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I have had 3 orders I placed with them that the specs were way off. I emailed their customer service a few times and they said sorry but I was kind of out of luck. I had 2 hybrids, a fairway driver, and the sterling 5 hybrid that were supposed to be 2-3 degrees upright. All showed up standard lie. Unfortunately there isn’t anyone in the states I can track down that has the ability to adjust woods/hybrids. So I have some excess clubheads and my customer is playing their same clubs for now.

With the irons I can adjust them myself. I just prefer not to bend the sterling 4-7 irons because I’ve had one break because the heat treatment makes the hosel more brittle than the 8-lw so I prefer to let them adjust those. But I’ve had irons come in wrong too.

Yeah I have had 3 orders I placed with them that the specs were way off. I emailed their customer service a few times and they said sorry but I was kind of out of luck. I had 2 hybrids, a fairway driver, and the sterling 5 hybrid that were supposed to be 2-3 degrees upright. All showed up standard lie. Unfortunately there isn't anyone in the states I can track down that has the ability to adjust woods/hybrids. So I have some excess clubheads and my customer is playing their same clubs for now.

With the irons I can adjust them myself. I just prefer not to bend the sterling 4-7 irons because I've had one break because the heat treatment makes the hosel more brittle than the 8-lw so I prefer to let them adjust those. But I've had irons come in wrong too.

might be better to email Gary or Alan directly.do you have a work order you can quote?

maybe re order after getting the assurances from either that it will be taken care of.keep the heads you have for another order?

I ordered from Diamond golf many times when i lived in the uk and the service was great

• 2 weeks later...

Alright SL peeps, anyone add lead tape to their wedges? The SW this year is betraying me. For some reason it just feels to light for me. I’ve thrown my 58* Vokey bag in the bag because of my issues this year. I’m in a weird place cause I still trust the GW, and hate my SW. Thoughts?

nothing wrong with adding some weight to give you a little more head feel.

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls

Alright SL peeps, anyone add lead tape to their wedges? The SW this year is betraying me. For some reason it just feels to light for me. I’ve thrown my 58* Vokey bag in the bag because of my issues this year. I’m in a weird place cause I still trust the GW, and hate my SW. Thoughts?

Hmmm....I'm liking the SW but NOT liking the LW. I think it might be just a bit much. So long, lie angle so flat.

• 3 weeks later...

Single length irons win again. I won another tournament. Both courses near me closed down because they were wiped out by Hurricane Harvy, so I dont practice anymore. I just show up to these tournaments ice cold and go for it. No way I could do that with standard clubs.

Sterling irons continue to get consistent results.

Still loving mine... great sticks.

Just added a Wishon 3 hybrid at 21* to act as my 4 iron. Slightly longer but she works great.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

• 1 month later...

Checking back in. Owned mine since they came out. Still own mine, still love them. Still laugh when people call them a fad or gimmick. The two courses I practiced and played at flooded and closed down because Hurricane Harvey. So I don't really play or practice much anymore, but still play a tournament every month or two. Its more fun when you have not swung a club in 2 months, show up on the #1 tee ice cold and get a win. Single length irons save strokes. In a tournament, two, three, four strokes saved makes a huge difference.

I still am toying with the idea of having them lengthened or just buying a new longer set. Would like the SL 60* and try the 5 hybrid.

Still love mine as well. No plans to change. As a leftie I couldn't get the hybrid but the 5 iron has been working well. I've added a shortened Wishon 4 hybrid and 5 wood into the set and my gaps are covered really well. Great clubs... total confidence in them.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

9woodfan, I was researching Sterlings and saw a post of yours from spring 2017 where you said the sound of the Sterlings was bugging you too much to play them, and maybe the sharp leading edges too. I take it you feel differently now. Could you review those two issues for us (me)? Thanks!

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

Might as well check in here too. Unless something dramatic happens I cannot see myself playing any other setup. Sterling single length 5i - SW for full swing, and a trusty old "regular" 60* wedge for sand, recovery, and short game.

I've just gotten back out swinging - a shoulder injury kept me away for the better part of two years, and I've definitely had to change my swing. Have hit maybe 300 balls in the past couple of weeks, and somewhere around the ~200 ball I came into a swing that works pretty well, without pain or lock up.

After I warm up around the short area with the 60*, I move to full swing with just my Sterling 5i and GW.

I've found that sticking to two ends of the loft spectrum really helped me mentally focus on just one swing, which in turn helped me focus on finding something that works again.

With the last ~20 balls today I grabbed a few other irons and sure enough the same swing works there too. I love it.

I'm guessing that I've got a ways to go to get back into 80s again, and I haven't swung a wood yet but I'm fairly certain that I could get around well enough with 5i - 5i instead of 1W - 9i.

Comfort brings trust, trust brings consistency, consistency drops indexes.

• 3 weeks later...

Might as well check in here too. Unless something dramatic happens I cannot see myself playing any other setup. Sterling single length 5i - SW for full swing, and a trusty old "regular" 60* wedge for sand, recovery, and short game.

Some agreement and a variation.....

I originally ordered the 4I-GW setup, anticipating that I'd keep my traditional SW/LW. (I cannot imagine hitting this set without the 4-iron.) Before long, however, the bug hit me and I ordered the SW and LW. Well...not so great.

The SW is really not good from bunkers. It's just too long. Because of the flatter angle, opening the clubface causes toe-drag. This is really true with the LW around the greens. Hitting it with a square setup was just fine, but opening up the clubface to increase loft was folly. Again, the length of the club made it too flat to do this well.

My current setup: like you, I use the SW for fairway shots of varying lengths. But I tend to use my traditional LW for bunker shots, despite its lower bounce angle. Plus, I can open it wide for lob shots or anywhere I'd like to increase loft.

I just can't say enough about the value of the 4-iron, though. Yeah, I can rock it because of sufficient swing speed, sure. But it is really valuable on short par-4 holes where placement is key. I feel like I can hit that club anywhere, with sufficient distance and accuracy.

It doesn't look like major OEMs are going to jump in the SL market. That means we're left with Sterling (with Wishon selling it and retiring), Cobra (OTR....yuck), Edel (good luck getting fit), and a bunch of companies that might as well be selling hickory-shafted clubs. At 59, I'm concerned there will be no sources for the changes I will need in the coming years (like going to graphite shafts). I guess I'll play these Sterlings until I'm hit by lightening...or something.

Yeah I have had 3 orders I placed with them that the specs were way off. I emailed their customer service a few times and they said sorry but I was kind of out of luck. I had 2 hybrids, a fairway driver, and the sterling 5 hybrid that were supposed to be 2-3 degrees upright. All showed up standard lie. Unfortunately there isn't anyone in the states I can track down that has the ability to adjust woods/hybrids. So I have some excess clubheads and my customer is playing their same clubs for now.

With the irons I can adjust them myself. I just prefer not to bend the sterling 4-7 irons because I've had one break because the heat treatment makes the hosel more brittle than the 8-lw so I prefer to let them adjust those. But I've had irons come in wrong too.

Truok, this thread has only just been bought to my attention. I am Alan Peskett, Operations Director at Diamond Golf. Please contact me directly with any grievances you may have. We take customer service very seriously and I would be amazed if anyone even implied that you are 'out of luck' with your heads. Please email me [email protected]

• 2 weeks later...

when I originally saw the news that Wishon was giving way to Diamond I took the chance to order another full set of sterling heads (and some other parts) to hold on to just on case.

I will say that Value Golf Pinhawk SL irons are actually quite nice, but much "chunkier" cavity backs.

Also, maybe I should assemble the 4i to supplant my 7w... I don't know my current swing speed but I am carrying this 37" 5i ~185 yds.

Getting a little nervous here. I finally decided to order Sterling irons but am having great difficulty in communicating with the seller. I am a long retired clubmaker/fitter who sold Wishon components exclusively in my later years. My first order was back in June but never got completed. Aborted by me. Then, last week I went ahead and completed an order. I discovered an error in the order and sent a change (7 iron length switched to 8 iron length). Also had some questions about shaft choices and set make up. No confirmation of the order. Did get a message from someone named "Bessie" who said a message went to Tom (Wishon) with my questions. Now receiving messages from something called "Swingman Golf". Who is that? Recently spoke to a very nice lady at Diamond Golf in the UK who said she couldn't help because she only deals with clubmakers and not the general public. Also indicated something about Tom and "his partner" having split. Has something changed? I had the impressionn that Tom is still involved with Sterling irons and that he was still communicating with customers. I have returned to this forum to sort out my confusion. Any comment from anyone? Tom?

Hobler

Getting a little nervous here. I finally decided to order Sterling irons but am having great difficulty in communicating with the seller. I am a long retired clubmaker/fitter who sold Wishon components exclusively in my later years. My first order was back in June but never got completed. Aborted by me. Then, last week I went ahead and completed an order. I discovered an error in the order and sent a change (7 iron length switched to 8 iron length). Also had some questions about shaft choices and set make up. No confirmation of the order. Did get a message from someone named "Bessie" who said a message went to Tom (Wishon) with my questions. Now receiving messages from something called "Swingman Golf". Who is that? Recently spoke to a very nice lady at Diamond Golf in the UK who said she couldn't help because she only deals with clubmakers and not the general public. Also indicated something about Tom and "his partner" having split. Has something changed? I had the impressionn that Tom is still involved with Sterling irons and that he was still communicating with customers. I have returned to this forum to sort out my confusion. Any comment from anyone? Tom?

Hobler

Tom sold Wishon Golf to Diamond Golf in the UK. I believe Tom is retired and has nothing to do with Sterling Irons or Wishon Golf anymore. Jaacob Bowden was the "partner" in Sterling Irons with Tom and still involved. Swingman Golf is Jaacob's business.

Maybe send a message to him or Sterling irons on Facebook?

Hobler

the online shop for Sterling Irons is run by swingman golf, which is run by pro (former?) Golfer Jacob Bowden. Bowden was the reason that Tim Wishon actually brought the sterlings to market.

Diamond Gold UK, and by extension Wishon Golf, are completely different companies.

Hobler

Hi Hobler, Al here from Diamond Golf.

Just to try and clarify for you. Sterling Irons were a joint venture between Tom Wishon and Jaacob Bowden. Jaacob has his own website selling Sterling and Tom still does his assembly for him.

Diamond Golf bought Wishon. Tom is still involved in the background helping us with head design and such like.

Diamond Golf are wholesalers,we sell to the trade and clubmakers ONLY. We do not retail. Sterling Irons are part of the Wishon line of products and as such can be bought from us in component from.

Jaacob is retailing the Sterling Irons and I believe he only sells assembled clubs through his website which Tom assembles for him.

There is no connection what so ever between Jaacob and Diamond.

Feel free to call me anytime if you have any questions toll free on 844 552 3437

• 4 weeks later...

Question for the Sterling guys. I am starting to have hand problems, but I cannot swing lighter clubs. Any suggestions for graphite in 110 to 120 gram shafts. I know steelfibers are an option, but I am looking for other options.

Thanks in advance

Ping G425 
Ping G410
XR 16 3 and 4 Hybrid
Titleist T300 w/MMT 125s
SeeMore Putter
Vokey Wedges

Question for the Sterling guys. I am starting to have hand problems, but I cannot swing lighter clubs. Any suggestions for graphite in 110 to 120 gram shafts. I know steelfibers are an option, but I am looking for other options.

Thanks in advance

I use Recoils in mine but I think they're in the 90ish gram region. I use alot of weight in the heads to get all the irons to D5 for a nice heavier feel.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks in advance

You're not limited that way in terms of shaft weight. You can go lighter while adding weight to the heads to compensate and maintain your desired swing weight. On this issue, there is NO difference between VL and SL irons.