The Official Wishon Sterling single length iron discussion

kenstl

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Relieved heels and more compact the the others. LW is the best looking at address. Both play as expected

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls

They look sharp... wish the LW was available in LH but only the SW is presently. Really enjoying these irons.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Anybody played with the 4 iron bending it stronger?

Need something in between my 4 iron and my 3 wood, and thinking about buying a extra 4 iron, and then bend it 3 degrees stronger, so it becomes some sort of a driving iron.

Just know that you'll have to really swing it to get the performance you seek. Something on the magnitude of 85 mph, IIRC.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone built or played a set longer than normal say like 37.25-37.5 inches in length? I have a set at 36.5 and haven’t seen any issues with ballooning wedges or too much spin so I wondered if that extra inch in length could give me a bit more clubhead speed and take my 5 iron distance to about 225 instead of 210. Then I could ditch my hybrids. I don’t mind choking up a bit on a wedge if I need to hit a lower shot. I play the wishon s2s black graphite iron shaft even though my swing speed with an 8 iron is over 85 mph. Not sure why but I’ve played 90 gram steel shafts growing up and have the best results with them.

• 4 weeks later...

This is why I switched and stuck with Sterling irons.

This type of consistency I just couldn't get with my previous sets of VL irons. They may not be for everyone but they certainly work for me.

These are 3 of the 4 Par 3s I played today were I could use an iron off the tee. 117, 135, and 142 yards

.c15685f7e7b14f6e1363897386b225e4.jpg

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Anyone built or played a set longer than normal say like 37.25-37.5 inches in length? I have a set at 36.5 and haven't seen any issues with ballooning wedges or too much spin so I wondered if that extra inch in length could give me a bit more clubhead speed and take my 5 iron distance to about 225 instead of 210. Then I could ditch my hybrids. I don't mind choking up a bit on a wedge if I need to hit a lower shot. I play the wishon s2s black graphite iron shaft even though my swing speed with an 8 iron is over 85 mph. Not sure why but I've played 90 gram steel shafts growing up and have the best results with them.

No way an inch alone, will gain you anywhere close to 15 yards

This type of consistency I just couldn't get with my previous sets of VL irons. They may not be for everyone but they certainly work for me.

These are 3 of the 4 Par 3s I played today were I could use an iron off the tee. 117, 135, and 142 yards

Did you validate?

Did you validate?

In my lifetime as a golfer I've never had this much success with my irons. My GIR are up this season over any other previous too it based on tracking 50 rounds a year. Validated enough for me...

• 3 weeks later...

Have you guys who play the Sterlings found that the longer wedges help you to not flip through impact? I don't really flip at all with anything longer than a PW, but by the time I get down to a LW I can be pretty flippy at impact. I bought three different Tour Strikers to try to get rid of my flip, but I was hitting them perfectly, so I guess there isn't a problem until I have a wedge in my hands.

PING G400 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X                                            

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 16.5° 3HL Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 70 X                                                       

Callaway V-Series 19° 5 wood Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 80 S                                                         

PING G410 22°, 26° & 30° Hybrids KBS Steel Hybrid Shaft X                                               

Adams A4 Forged 7-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100 D4                                                                        

Cleveland CBX 50°, 55° Dynamic Gold S400

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60° Dynamic Gold Tour Spinner

Odyssey 2-Ball Blade w/Triple Trac

Vice Pro Plus Lime

Have you guys who play the Sterlings found that the longer wedges help you to not flip through impact? I don't really flip at all with anything longer than a PW, but by the time I get down to a LW I can be pretty flippy at impact. I bought three different Tour Strikers to try to get rid of my flip, but I was hitting them perfectly, so I guess there isn't a problem until I have a wedge in my hands.

I have found the longer club does help with the tempo of stroke. One of the benefits of the taller stance with a longer wedge is the room it creates for my arms to freely swing on the target line. It takes some adjustment time to get things sorted out but well worth it.

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls

One thing I have noticed in some of the development work with the Sterlings was the fact that having the wedges be of a head weight that is substantially less than what is typical for conventional length wedges can combine with the single length wedges being longer than conventional does change things from a tempo standpoint. For example, the SW you have probably has a headweight in the area of 300 grams. As are most all conventional sand wedges it is probably made to a swingweight in the area of D4 to D6 or maybe even a little higher. Higher than norm swingweights has been typical with sand wedges forever because it was always felt such a high headweight would help move the head through sand a little better. That's a logical thought but in all my career I have never heard of any real studies done to compare D6 sand wedge performance with a lower swingweight.

The Sterling SW has the same headweight as every other iron, of course because this is a single length set. That spec weight is 274g. Depending on the shaft weight, grip weight, the single length chosen by the clubmaker or player, and what final swingweight the golfer is best fit into with the single lengths, that final sand wedge head weight probably won't be much over 280 or so.

Compared to a 300g sand wedge headweight that's a big difference. Now what makes a 274-280g sand wedge headweight NOT feel head light is the fact the single length SW is longer than a conventional SW of today. That length increase over a conventional SW automatically increases the MOI of the club. But the drop in headweight decreases the MOI to offset that.

What's interesting is that if the single length SW is +1" longer than the conventional SW and if the single length headweight is @ 20 grams lighter, in the world of MOI calculation that is almost a perfect offset in terms of what the final MOI of the SW would be. So a 36.5" SW made to D1 will end up with the about the same MOI as a 35.5" SW made to D6. Hence the reason why a single length SW does not swing lighter in feel for most players vs a conventional SW of today. But the balance points are a little different which means the conventional SW can feel more head heavy when you swing it. And for some players, not all but maybe you, the more headweight feel, the more you could flip the head through impact.

Just a speculation based on experience but not something I have critically tested. You'll only know if it helps your flip if you got a single length SW at say D1 at 36.5" with the same shaft and grip you have in your current SW and try it to see.

Interesting though. . .

One thing I have noticed in some of the development work with the Sterlings was the fact that having the wedges be of a head weight that is substantially less than what is typical for conventional length wedges can combine with the single length wedges being longer than conventional does change things from a tempo standpoint. For example, the SW you have probably has a headweight in the area of 300 grams. As are most all conventional sand wedges it is probably made to a swingweight in the area of D4 to D6 or maybe even a little higher. Higher than norm swingweights has been typical with sand wedges forever because it was always felt such a high headweight would help move the head through sand a little better. That's a logical thought but in all my career I have never heard of any real studies done to compare D6 sand wedge performance with a lower swingweight.

The Sterling SW has the same headweight as every other iron, of course because this is a single length set. That spec weight is 274g. Depending on the shaft weight, grip weight, the single length chosen by the clubmaker or player, and what final swingweight the golfer is best fit into with the single lengths, that final sand wedge head weight probably won't be much over 280 or so.

Compared to a 300g sand wedge headweight that's a big difference. Now what makes a 274-280g sand wedge headweight NOT feel head light is the fact the single length SW is longer than a conventional SW of today. That length increase over a conventional SW automatically increases the MOI of the club. But the drop in headweight decreases the MOI to offset that.

What's interesting is that if the single length SW is +1" longer than the conventional SW and if the single length headweight is @ 20 grams lighter, in the world of MOI calculation that is almost a perfect offset in terms of what the final MOI of the SW would be. So a 36.5" SW made to D1 will end up with the about the same MOI as a 35.5" SW made to D6. Hence the reason why a single length SW does not swing lighter in feel for most players vs a conventional SW of today. But the balance points are a little different which means the conventional SW can feel more head heavy when you swing it. And for some players, not all but maybe you, the more headweight feel, the more you could flip the head through impact.

Just a speculation based on experience but not something I have critically tested. You'll only know if it helps your flip if you got a single length SW at say D1 at 36.5" with the same shaft and grip you have in your current SW and try it to see.

Interesting though. . .

Thanks for the reply, Tom. I've been interested in the Sterlings for a while now. I'm going to have a set built next year. I think they will really help with me becoming more consistent. I wish the LW came left-handed too, but I can always port a head and bend the lie angle to get it to work with the Sterling heads. I'm anxiously awaiting next golf season to see how this will pan out. As it is now, I have a huge gap between my gap wedge and sand wedge. I usually hit the gap wedge solidly and get 130 yards carry, but I flip the sand wedge most of the time and struggle to hit it 100 yards. It's extremely aggravating, to say the least.

Vice Pro Plus Lime

Thanks for the reply, Tom. I've been interested in the Sterlings for a while now. I'm going to have a set built next year. I think they will really help with me becoming more consistent. I wish the LW came left-handed too, but I can always port a head and bend the lie angle to get it to work with the Sterling heads. I'm anxiously awaiting next golf season to see how this will pan out. As it is now, I have a huge gap between my gap wedge and sand wedge. I usually hit the gap wedge solidly and get 130 yards carry, but I flip the sand wedge most of the time and struggle to hit it 100 yards. It's extremely aggravating, to say the least.

Sure thing, always happy to help anyway I can. In the meantime, try this - next time you go out to hit some balls, with the SW try to very consciously start the downswing with the left hip turning through impact and try to just focus on that and forget about the hands and arms. Let the turn pull the arms through to impact. Do it with a half wedge to start and then work up to 3/4 shots and see how it goes.

Sure thing, always happy to help anyway I can. In the meantime, try this - next time you go out to hit some balls, with the SW try to very consciously start the downswing with the left hip turning through impact and try to just focus on that and forget about the hands and arms. Let the turn pull the arms through to impact. Do it with a half wedge to start and then work up to 3/4 shots and see how it goes.

Will do, Tom. I'm going to buy a net soon so that I can work on some of this stuff in my back yard. I don't need to see the ball flight to know whether or not I'm making solid contact. Thanks again!

Vice Pro Plus Lime

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been a scratch golfer for quite a few years now and I’ll

Be honest my wedge game has always been my weekness. I switched to single lengths last year because I don’t play as much and figured the consistency with the long irons would be a big bonus, turns out my most improved area of play is my wedges. The original sw I didn’t like but the new sw and lw are seriously my favorite clubs in the bag after my driver (wishon 919 @ 43.5 inches). I’ve had the wedges since they released and have had a huge improvement from 100 and in. I hit them much more solid than I have ever hit a wedge. I used to not carry a lob wedge, even as a scratch golfer, becuase I was so inconsistent with it. With the sterling lw I feel like I can hit any shot. Chipping has improved I think because my posture is better. I’m not having to bend so far at the waist. I’m 30 and in decent shape but bending over that much causes too much movement for me. It took me about 1 large bucket of balls to get adapted to the longer length but it just keeps getting better. I actually shot my lowest round of my career this year shooting a 63 (-9) at a course I’ve only played maybe 3 times in my life. And that was the first round of golf I had played in almost 6 weeks, and it was all because the single length irons give me so much more consistency and I was able to hit my wedges tight.

The last year has been By far the most success and fun I’ve had golfing in a long time and I’ve been playing less than I ever had. Sorry not trying to sound braggy just wanting to let you know how positive my experience has been with these clubs. It’s important you get custom fit though. I ordered my first set of single lengths with wishons 115 gram steel shaft, because I was playing a heavier steel in my conventional irons. I’ve since switched to wishons s2s Black graphite 82 gram shaft. I have a high swing speed and always have been fitted (box store or online) into dynamic gold x100 or project x 6.5, I tend to hit heel side with heavier shafts, switched to the light weight graphite and never even think about solid contact anymore. So make sure you meet with a good fitter and definitely try Tons of shafts. I never would have guessed lightweight would be good for me, heck I play an 85 gram shaft in my driver so having basically that same weight in my irons doesn’t make sense but it works. So get a fitter than isn’t afraid to try some outside the norm things to make sure you get what works best not just match what you’ve played in the past.

Anyone built or played a set longer than normal say like 37.25-37.5 inches in length? I have a set at 36.5 and haven't seen any issues with ballooning wedges or too much spin so I wondered if that extra inch in length could give me a bit more clubhead speed and take my 5 iron distance to about 225 instead of 210. Then I could ditch my hybrids. I don't mind choking up a bit on a wedge if I need to hit a lower shot. I play the wishon s2s black graphite iron shaft even though my swing speed with an 8 iron is over 85 mph. Not sure why but I've played 90 gram steel shafts growing up and have the best results with them.

I've built quite a few sets longer than 37.5 as these players are tall. The combination of length and lie still has to be right.

I've also built a couple of 2 length sets where the 4,5,6,7 were near 3/4" longer than the 8 up. This allowed a little more lift as some players are struggling in getting the 4 and 5 up.

Lie angles have to be different between the 2 length mini sets to maintain great directional control.

Just because they are designed as a SL set does not mean that you have to conform to the recommended numbers, but you do need to know where to make corrections to keep the playability in tact between the various forms of build. Swing weight, flex and lie angle will still need special attention as you deviate from the specs.

• 4 weeks later...

My mini-set Sterling experiment continues to grow. I've hit some of the nicest irons shot with these since I started playing.

I'm now SL 7-LW and using a 27* hybrid in place of the 5/6 iron. I tried the 5 iron but couldn't make it work for me as much as I wanted it too.

The Sterlings have gone from experiment to full time bag for the rest of the season. Looking forward to seeing how much scores react.

ac86bccde0a12489f27399354178f6cd.jpg

I’m considering changing my VL irons to Sterlings. I’m very satisfied with my VL hybrids (21 degrees = 195 yards; 24 degrees = 185 yards; 28 degrees = 175 yards) and don’t anticipate changing them. My current VL irons are as follows:

6 = 32 degrees/165 yards

7 = 36 degrees/155 yards

8 = 40 degrees/145 yards

9 = 44 degrees/135 yards

P = 48 degrees/125 yards

G = 52 degrees/105 yards

S = 56 degrees/85 yards

L = 60 degrees/75 yards

I’d build my Sterling irons to 37” (tall guy). Yep...I realize my distances will be different with the Sterling’s vs. VL.

My question: based on the above info (also, driver ss is between 90-95, 3 handicap), where should my Sterling iron set start in order to cover the 165 +/- distance? 6 or 7 iron?

Any insight appreciated!

I'd start at the 6... I didn't find the difference in distance between these and my VL set to be off by much if anything at all.

I've just added the 6 iron into my set but haven't had a chance to hit it yet. I hope to be in that range you're looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am about to pull the trigger to a set of Sterling (5-GW with a superlite shaft stiff). I have gone through the entire 25 pages and appreciate the personal feedback from all of you.

I have noticed that most posts are from second half of 2016 and first half of 2017. Can I ask you a question?

Who is still playing them and who has gone back to VL? I would love the feedback after the honeymoon period (and after the 4/5 round you need to accomodate to the new lenght and gapping)

I am quite convinced about the idea as I think they would help me (hap 15.7 after 6 years playing and taking lessons on a weekly basis). My only concern if this will be forever or not...

Thank you very much in advance!!!

Hi Sardo,

most of my customers are still happy with the SL irons, I made for them. One customer stopped playing them almost immediately. It was for a real funny reason, which actually doesn't have anything to do with the performance of the set. I couldn't get over the difference in sound/feel going from 8 iron to the lower lofted irons with the high COR faces.

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Sardo,

most of my customers are still happy with the SL irons, I made for them. One customer stopped playing them almost immediately. It was for a real funny reason, which actually doesn't have anything to do with the performance of the set. I couldn't get over the difference in sound/feel going from 8 iron to the lower lofted irons with the high COR faces.

Cheers,

Michael

Thank you very much Michael! Really appreciate your response.

I think with this irons you have the feeling of being about to jump the clif. I mean: it seems like a huge change in your bag set up and really want to take the right decission.

I am quite sure. I have been playing with a demo for the last 12 days (many range ball and twice in the course) and I think that I cannot hit my old 5iron anymore!!! :read: :read:

I have zero plans of changing this season and I don't see myself getting out of these for many years to come.

I've seen an improvement in my iron play and I love the idea of single length. I had trouble with the 5 iron but 6-SW in very happy with.

I have zero plans of changing this season and I don't see myself getting out of these for many years to come.

I've seen an improvement in my iron play and I love the idea of single length. I had trouble with the 5 iron but 6-SW in very happy with.

Thank you very much 9woodfan !!!! I am glad to see that you are still in love with them.

Hey Sardo,

I got my set in early 2016 (5H-SW) and I still game them. I absolutely love the feel of the 8-SW, whatever material that is I want it in every club in my bag. The 5H I use as often as possible, it is literally point and shoot for me. If I had one wish it would be that there is a 6H option. The 6i is the only club in the bag I'm not entirely fond of.

-J

Hey Sardo,

I got my set in early 2016 (5H-SW) and I still game them. I absolutely love the feel of the 8-SW, whatever material that is I want it in every club in my bag. The 5H I use as often as possible, it is literally point and shoot for me. If I had one wish it would be that there is a 6H option. The 6i is the only club in the bag I'm not entirely fond of.

-J

So. My question is this, and I will probably ask the same question to another reply. Are you push slicing the longer irons (ie the 6 in your case) or something different?

What was your biggest issue with 5 iron? 8 just played 1 round at the end of the year last season, and pushed/sliced my 4-6 irons. Thinking I wasn’t swinging consistent, swinging harder? Wrong shaft? I don’t know...... anyone have this scenario? 7-gw are great. Just not quite there on the lower lofted clubs...,,any ideas or common occurrence?