2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Time Machine Greats Showdown

carn9698

I'd like to see them play 16 tournaments over four months

1. 4 Hickory

2. 4 Steel/Classic Era - blades & persimmon woods

3. 4 Modern

4. 4 with whatever clubs they think they play their best golf with

Now THAT would be some tournament series ... :)

Oh and they all use the same type of ball in each "quadrant" !

Using Geoff's creative (and excellent) criteria then I think Tiger, in his prime, wins comfortably. I think when he was swinging well, his late 90's move, his short game and putting skills would be hard to beat and would overcome the vicissitudes of the equipment over the eras.

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moe Norman would be a good choice if the prizes were clocks or toasters.

I would have an extra-vigilant referee watching Gary Player and his caddy (cue Goldfinger music).

Five times Open Champion Peter Thomson may have been the greatest links golfer ever.

Bobby Locke won four Open Championships and competed successfully in America in the early 1950's,playing against and beating all the top US professionals of that period.

Greg Norman choked nearly as often as Ben Crenshaw.

Faldo might have won in '88 if his ball had not grabbed on the approach to that par five,he was robbed!

But at the end of it all I'm with '53 Precision....

Ben Hogan.

The "Hawk" by a landslide...

Well, the Hawk's average margin of victory against his own field was, what, 3 strokes?

I'd hesitate to predict a winner in the OP's tournament, but if you told me that someone had one by a landslide, I'd have a hunch that it would be the guy who occasionally won his majors by double-digits.

I'm kind of with Kirasdad on this one though. I just can't imagine golf being played any better than we saw in 2000. I grew up with the understanding that major championship golf was a tricky business, that champions had weaknesses, that favourites seldom won and that even winners hit bad shots. All that conventional wisdom seems to be suspended for 2 or 3 years there.

For greatest career, I still think Jack or Jones. Greatest act of mass hypnosis, Hogan. Greatest over-achiever - Trevino or Watson, either of whom could sneak the win.

Only the anally retentive would quibble about margins of victory,three strokes or thirty three makes no difference,if you win you win and the margin is irrelevant.

Mass hypnotism?Both Nicklaus and Woods benefitted from exhaustive media coverage,isn't that the same thing or are you suggesting that there was an element of trickery that Hogan introduced to make people admire him?

I would have an extra-vigilant referee watching Gary Player and his caddy (cue Goldfinger music).

Five times Open Champion Peter Thomson may have been the greatest links golfer ever.

Bobby Locke won four Open Championships and competed successfully in America in the early 1950's,playing against and beating all the top US professionals of that period.

Faldo might have won in '88 if his ball had not grabbed on the approach to that par five,he was robbed!

Ben Hogan.

Well, the Hawk's average margin of victory against his own field was, what, 3 strokes?

I'd hesitate to predict a winner in the OP's tournament, but if you told me that someone had one by a landslide, I'd have a hunch that it would be the guy who occasionally won his majors by double-digits.

I'm kind of with Kirasdad on this one though. I just can't imagine golf being played any better than we saw in 2000. I grew up with the understanding that major championship golf was a tricky business, that champions had weaknesses, that favourites seldom won and that even winners hit bad shots. All that conventional wisdom seems to be suspended for 2 or 3 years there.

For greatest career, I still think Jack or Jones. Greatest act of mass hypnosis, Hogan. Greatest over-achiever - Trevino or Watson, either of whom could sneak the win.

Not sure I would put watson and Trevino as over achievers.....both are too greats in my eyes. I mean Watson won 5 open championships.....that's draw droppingly brilliant!

^^^^^ and TWICE at Augusta, his U.S. Open at freakin' Pebble Beach. a player of borderline talent is not an "achiever" of such things. what an epic career Tom had.

Couldn't agree more......I really wished he won at turnberry at the age of 59. His ball stricking is as good as anybody I've seen in the flesh.....faldo, Lyle, price being the best others I've seen

Only the anally retentive would quibble about margins of victory,three strokes or thirty three makes no difference,if you win you win and the margin is irrelevant.

Mass hypnotism?Both Nicklaus and Woods benefitted from exhaustive media coverage,isn't that the same thing or are you suggesting that there was an element of trickery that Hogan introduced to make people admire him?

I agree. I was just trying to point out that expecting Hogan to beat all these other greats by a landslide is a bit unlikely. Don't you agree?

Mass hypnotism isn't a bad description for the hold that Hogan seems to have exerted on people, inside and outside the ropes. I happen to think Nicklaus and Woods had some of the same, though not perhaps to quite the same extent.

Ben Hogan.

Not sure I would put watson and Trevino as over achievers.....both are too greats in my eyes. I mean Watson won 5 open championships.....that's draw droppingly brilliant!

I'm a huge fan of both Watson and Trevino. By "over-achiever" I mean that, whilst I don't think anyone would put them in quite in the same class as Nicklaus, they were still able to beat him head to head.

LOL - I said either could actually win this event against Jones, Hogan, Nicklaus and Woods, and I'm being accused of running them down!

Ben Hogan.

trevino and Watson were greats. Not over achievers. Sorry you had a brain freeze there.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

Well, Trevino didn't make your start sheet... ;)

You could put his and Watson's careers together and you'd still need to pull in Ray Floyd to match Jack. So, even although we're talking about ridiculously, preternaturally talented and driven individuals, they're still not in the same class.

Given Trevino's start in the game, I'd say he's as good an example of over-achievement as any. It doesn't have to carry a pejorative meaning, unless you believe that working your way to success is somehow a weakness.

Trevino never had the advantages of Jack's length or trajectory. For whatever reason, he was never able to contend at the Masters, and according to him, he only won the U.S. Open "in the mud".

Watson was a much better ballstriker after he had stopped winning majors. Prior to that, he was long, somewhat wild and a great scrambler and putter. A "Watson par" meant something similar to a "Seve par" and is as much a compliment to someone's golf as "over-achiever".

I think B-S has just gone 1-up :)

If I was one of these golfing Billionaires, like say Trump or the Go-daddy guy, I'd love to take this thread's idea and turn it into a "Field of Dreams" style golfing movie ... I doubt it would make any money at the box office but who cares !

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Well, Trevino didn't make your start sheet... ;)

You could put his and Watson's careers together and you'd still need to pull in Ray Floyd to match Jack. So, even although we're talking about ridiculously, preternaturally talented and driven individuals, they're still not in the same class.

Given Trevino's start in the game, I'd say he's as good an example of over-achievement as any. It doesn't have to carry a pejorative meaning, unless you believe that working your way to success is somehow a weakness.

Trevino never had the advantages of Jack's length or trajectory. For whatever reason, he was never able to contend at the Masters, and according to him, he only won the U.S. Open "in the mud".

Watson was a much better ballstriker after he had stopped winning majors. Prior to that, he was long, somewhat wild and a great scrambler and putter. A "Watson par" meant something similar to a "Seve par" and is as much a compliment to someone's golf as "over-achiever".

i hear a very loud truck reversing here. Had to do the same myself a few times on here also. Trevino was not dominant like Watson was, but what a fighter.

Some truths in what you say about Watson being a tad wild off the tee, but his irons were always accurate. I watched him a lot in his majors period and after and he knocked the pin out.

He was a massive hitter as a young guy though. Driving the 1st in 82 at Troon on the 3rd day springs to mind. With persimmon!

Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
Mizuno Skintite Glove

Ok, so, to get new life into this thread and skip further discussions on "achievement"... I'd suggest, and if you'd like something to do for a few minutes this week might be fun, everyone to seed this field of our for match event (to get to an even number I threw Rory in to represent the current era, and Mickelson in so we have one lefty)... so here in order, our collective input on players for the field...

Seve B. Greg N.

Billy C. Moe N.

Nick F. Arnold P.

Walter H. Gary P.

Ben H. Gene S.

Bobby J. Sam S.

Rory M. Lee T.

Phil M. Harry V.

Jack N. Tom W.

Byron N. Tiger W.

Ok, so, to get new life into this thread and skip further discussions on "achievement"... I'd suggest, and if you'd like something to do for a few minutes this week might be fun, everyone to seed this field of our for match event (to get to an even number I threw Rory in to represent the current era, and Mickelson in so we have one lefty)... so here in order, our collective input on players for the field...

Seve B. Greg N.

Billy C. Moe N.

Nick F. Arnold P.

Walter H. Gary P.

Ben H. Gene S.

Bobby J. Sam S.

Rory M. Lee T.

Phil M. Harry V.

Jack N. Tom W.

Byron N. Tiger W.

strong field

Mizuno Skintite Glove

My top 4 matchplay seeds (in order) would be Jones, Hagen, Seve and Player, except Player doesn't appear to have qualified despite completing a career grand slam! If Player remains NFI'd, Hogan can sub for him.
player does need to be in.

Big Watson fan myself, so hard to put him in but he should be there. Little guy throwing the kitchen sink at the ball. Great fighter and way ahead of his time on fitness.

Mizuno Skintite Glove

My top 4 matchplay seeds (in order) would be Jones, Hagen, Seve and Player, except Player doesn't appear to have qualified despite completing a career grand slam! If Player remains NFI'd, Hogan can sub for him.

entire field is available now.... and seed them off the strength of the player 1-20 (in your opinion) in relation to the FIELD, not their strength in just a match event! a great way for us to show our preferences... take your time (this one might need a PEN and PAPER, yikes!) there is no rush... just curious to see what everyone on here so far comes up with!

Seve B. Greg N.

Billy C. Moe N.

Nick F. Arnold P.

Walter H. Gary P.

Ben H. Gene S.

Bobby J. Sam S.

Rory M. Lee T.

Phil M. Harry V.

Jack N. Tom W.

Byron N. Tiger W.

I think Bobby Locke should be in ... have them play seven 3-balls ... :)

Or if 20 is the limit then he has to be in instead of Moe Norman, who, despite his legendary accuracy and ball-striking, really doesn't deserve to be included in this company in my opinion.

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Boys 2000 tiger blows these guys all away. He wins by 10-12 shots and the rest are over par.

Titleist TS3, 9.5, Ventus Blue 6x
Titleist TS2, 15, AD DI 8
Callaway xforged utility 18, AD DI 105
Taylormade p770 4-pw, Project X 
Titleist Vokey 50,54,58 Project X 
Scotty Cameron Studio Style GSS Newport 2

I think B-S has just gone 1-up :)

If I was one of these golfing Billionaires, like say Trump or the Go-daddy guy, I'd love to take this thread's idea and turn it into a "Field of Dreams" style golfing movie ... I doubt it would make any money at the box office but who cares !

my kind of movie

Mizuno Skintite Glove

I think Bobby Locke should be in ... have them play seven 3-balls ... :)

Or if 20 is the limit then he has to be in instead of Moe Norman, who, despite his legendary accuracy and ball-striking, really doesn't deserve to be included in this company in my opinion.

I know, but I mentioned him earlier in the thread as a "wild card"... this is just a fun exercise... how many people might actually seed him above dead last 20th in the field? we will see!

EDIT: or if you want to throw Moe Norman out, and put in YOUR wildcard go ahead! we'll see what "wildcard" happens to get the most votes and include THEM in the seeding!

where I'm going with this is to see if between all our votes, we can get a vote count to "seed" the field.

Boys 2000 tiger blows these guys all away. He wins by 10-12 shots and the rest are over par.
no way sorry but just no way. Tiger on 2000 and mid naughties was a phenom, but these guys had the talent to put him under pressure. They would not have been intimidated by him to the same extent or even at all.

Mizuno Skintite Glove

entire field is available now.... and seed them off the strength of the player 1-20 (in your opinion) in relation to the FIELD, not their strength in just a match event! a great way for us to show our preferences... take your time (this one might need a PEN and PAPER, yikes!) there is no rush... just curious to see what everyone on here so far comes up with!

Seve B. Greg N.

Billy C. Moe N.

Nick F. Arnold P.

Walter H. Gary P.

Ben H. Gene S.

Bobby J. Sam S.

Rory M. Lee T.

Phil M. Harry V.

Jack N. Tom W.

Byron N. Tiger W.

Just imagine the tension on he practice putting green with these lot!

Mizuno Skintite Glove

Carn, ^^^^ lol, there would be none. remember everyone is stepping out of a time capsule, with a clean slate. nobody would know each other... every player and their caddie would be looking around thinking, "who's THAT dude and WHY is he wearing those ugly clothes?"

EDIT: I personally believe that it's clearly Hogan that wins best dressed award.

Carn, ^^^^ lol, there would be none. remember everyone is stepping out of a time capsule, with a clean slate. nobody would know each other... every player and their caddie would be looking around thinking, "who's THAT dude and WHY is he wearing those ugly clothes?"

EDIT: I personally believe that it's clearly Hogan that wins best dressed award.

Ooooh, I didn't want to mention this, but could you imagine some of these guys stepping out of a time capsule to see tiger playing? I would like to think, they thought game and not color. Crazy to think how far we've come. Would there be an intimidation factor there?

Plus everyone from the future tense would know everyone from the past? Rory would know of the other's greatness? Tiger would know of Nicklaus. Nicklaus will know of Vardon, etc. Past exploits would be intimating especially if Tiger necessarily didn't know of his progress from 2001-2016, since he is 2000 Tiger. For all he knows he never got close to Jack.