2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Bandon, Feb 2016

spud3

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else from golfwrx here right now? Will be playing pacific in the afternoon tomorrow will try to give a report on the round tomorrow on the evening.

I'm here with my group through tomorrow. Great weather today, pretty much perfect, especially compared to Thursday.

How did the round on Pacific go? I felt kinda bad watching you guys go out ... especially knowing that I was heading out into the same thing!

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Anyone else from golfwrx here right now? Will be playing pacific in the afternoon tomorrow will try to give a report on the round tomorrow on the evening.

I'm here with my group through tomorrow. Great weather today, pretty much perfect, especially compared to Thursday.

How did the round on Pacific go? I felt kinda bad watching you guys go out ... especially knowing that I was heading out into the same thing!

:lol:

Good to see you in Thursday morning Kevin! I couldn't help but think the same thing.

Man, it was nuts... I heard a couple caddies say it blew 60 out on the tops of 9 and 14. Hitting into the fan was downright comical. I think I hit driver, 3 wood, chip 2 iron into 4. I've played in as bad of rain and wind before, but never both at the same time. Had kind of fluke eagle on 3... it helps when you have 30+ winds riding your drive 400+ yards.

Good to see you in Thursday morning Kevin! I couldn't help but think the same thing.

Man, it was nuts... I heard a couple caddies say it blew 60 out on the tops of 9 and 14. Hitting into the fan was downright comical. I think I hit driver, 3 wood, chip 2 iron into 4. I've played in as bad of rain and wind before, but never both at the same time. Had kind of fluke eagle on 3... it helps when you have 30+ winds riding your drive 400+ yards.

Yep. Had similar experience on BD #5. My drive rolled up past where the dunes close in on the fairway, some 320 yds. Trust me, I never even sniff that kind of length on a regular day.

I checked the data from the NWS, and they had wind speed at the airport right at 30 at 11:30, with gusts to 41. I think the rule is add about 10 mph if you're by the water, so even a conservative estimate would put it the 40+ range, with higher gusts. I've never seen anything like it.

Glad you had at least one nice day. Tomorrow looks damp with light winds.

Enjoy your last day - let me know next time you get an event together.

Yep. Had similar experience on BD #5. My drive rolled up past where the dunes close in on the fairway, some 320 yds. Trust me, I never even sniff that kind of length on a regular day.

I checked the data from the NWS, and they had wind speed at the airport right at 30 at 11:30, with gusts to 41. I think the rule is add about 10 mph if you're by the water, so even a conservative estimate would put it the 40+ range, with higher gusts. I've never seen anything like it.

Glad you had at least one nice day. Tomorrow looks damp with light winds.

Enjoy your last day - let me know next time you get an event together.

You're being modest. If you're on WRX, your 5 iron bunts it 320 yards.

Played Old Mac this morning cool and gusty conditions (nothing like what you guys saw yesterday I gather). Was as rusty as can be expected (especially after a 4 hour flight and 9 hour drive yesterday). Started well, lost some tempo from 6-10, but was quite pleased given the wind (was pin high right of the green on 11 from 399 after catching a nice gust). The course was in great condition incl. the greens (other than unrepaired ball marks)

SIM w Ventus Black 6x

G410LST 3w w THUMP 70x

G410 2H w Thump 80x
TM P790 4-P w X100TI
Cleveland Zipcore 50*Mid & 54*Mid

TM Hi-Toe 60*

Odyssey O-Works Black #1

Just by pure chance, were the two guys from Montana a father/son combo?

I know I know, but I've met the same people years apart at Bandon, as you know there is a cadre of folks who do it every year ;)

Nope - two retired guys who were a blast to play with, and not just because they included me when they broke out the flask. Great attitudes and totally embraced what we were doing, which bore only a slight resemblance to playing golf.

I know what you mean about seeing the same people, though. I have been there enough times now that I am pretty sure I recognize quite a few people. Eric, the server at the Gallery, remembered me from previous trips, so I guess I am part of that group.

I do see, notably, lots more women players every time I go.

Ya it seems every second trip I see someone I played with the previous year, a couple from Eugene, a fella from Reno, and one of the Bandon members; twice each.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Nice photos JMO.

Those ball marks are likely from everyone playing last week on Wednesday and Thursday. Tough to repair the green when the tool keeps blowing out of your hand and cartwheeling back down the fairway...

The next few days look really good in the forecast. Enjoy!

Nice write-up Spud. We're heading up to Bandon this Thursday and playing Friday - Monday. This will be my Fourteenth year making the trip in February with a large group of guys from Nor-Cal and the PNW. I almost missed this year due to anticipated other priorities, but all worked out and I'm stoked to not have to break the chain.

TM 2020 SIM, Aldila Rogue Silver 60 r
TM 2020 SIM 3w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM 2021 SIM2 5w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM M4 5-PW, TT XP95 S300 
TM EF 47* 52* & 56*, KBS  610, XFT 60*, KBS Hi Rev
TM CB Spider Mallet 

Hard to tell for me, since the times I was on BD, the weather was making it impossible to focus on anything other than tracking my shot. The greens were the slowest I've ever seen them, though.

The moss on Trails was more noticeable for me. Maybe that's because I wasn't trying to stay upright from the wind and could afford the luxury of looking around.

The course cams are showing a pretty nice day out there, today.

I thought Bandon played considerably softer than in years past. I understand it has been a wet winter, but I saw lots of moss in fairways.

A quarter of our group thought the same too. Anyone else notice?

snow moss on greens.... mostly on sheltered greens.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

I thought Bandon played considerably softer than in years past. I understand it has been a wet winter, but I saw lots of moss in fairways.

A quarter of our group thought the same too. Anyone else notice?

snow moss on greens.... mostly on sheltered greens.

I have no problem with moss on greens in the winter there. But there was a significant amount in the fairway on 13 as well as other holes on the back.

I'm not so much complaining, but noting it played considerably softer. I think I actually preferred my round at old mac more this year due to the firmness and green speed. That's something I've never said before.

Just an observation.

Question for you guys, I've played in some horrid conditions but that was a rain wind combo. One of the days for our trip is forecasting 39 - 50 mph winds. Does everyone still play?

It was that way last Thursday for us (rain and heavy winds--30-40+ and huge gusts). I've played in bad rain and bad wind, but not both that bad at the same time like what I played in last week. They had something like 9 groups cancel in the AM at Pac, but me and my other groups went out and played (so did Ken Griffey Jr.).

I was dry enough, but I have very good rain gear. My feet did get a bit wet as the wind was blowing the rain over the tops of my shoes. I just embrace the weather.. I don't care because I'm in Bandon.

Funny Griffey must make an annual journey this time every year as he was there when I was there last year in Feb. he actually left my 1st day there and I guy I got paired with had the caddy he used. Told a funny story how 1 guy kept out driving Griffey and started giving him crap about it. I guess the caddy knew that he always gripped down and just kind of punched it 270-280 into the fairway. Well after the guy was talking crap Griffey challenged him on a hole that fit Griffey. Supposedly it was the 1st time he just let it rip all weekend and flew the guy by like 40 - 50 yards. Guy said something and Griffey just said something like "I prefer to play from the short grass."

I played once in 20 - 30 mph winds and sideways rain but never played in 40+. Thanks. Was just curious. Should be thankful that round is scheduled for Trails.

Funny Griffey must make an annual journey this time every year as he was there when I was there last year in Feb. he actually left my 1st day there and I guy I got paired with had the caddy he used. Told a funny story how 1 guy kept out driving Griffey and started giving him crap about it. I guess the caddy knew that he always gripped down and just kind of punched it 270-280 into the fairway. Well after the guy was talking crap Griffey challenged him on a hole that fit Griffey. Supposedly it was the 1st time he just let it rip all weekend and flew the guy by like 40 - 50 yards. Guy said something and Griffey just said something like "I prefer to play from the short grass."

I played once in 20 - 30 mph winds and sideways rain but never played in 40+. Thanks. Was just curious. Should be thankful that round is scheduled for Trails.

I was there last year at the same time too. I know he crushes it, I've played behind him before and wasn't exactly surprised where he was putting the ball. You can tell he definitely has another gear.

This trip was a bucket list thing for him (he brought a group, some friends and family). I think he said they are going to another location next year (Spain or Scotland.. I forget which).

I was out on the same day last week. I've never seen anything like it.

The trick is to not expect that you'll be playing golf. It's really fun (assuming you have decent gear), but forget about anything like a score.

Take a flask and embrace it for what it is...

...and play old balls.

Oh, and one more thing: The Bandon Bucket Hat works well when it's raining, but high winds make it flap annoyingly.

The best approach I found in those conditions is a cap with a beanie over the top. The Turtle Fur ones from the Bandon Dunes pro shop work great.

Rogue ST Max LS 9, HZRDUS Black 75 6.0 | Mavrik SZ 15, Evenflow White 75 6.0

P790 UDI, HZRDUS Smoke 90 6.0 | X-Blade 909 4-P, Pro 95i Tour S

Miura 54 Tour, 60K, Modus3 125 W | BB8 DASS