2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Calming the Wie Storm

Michelle Wie is among the most promising young female athletes we've seen in a while. Nike knows this and that's why they put their logo all over her new wardrobe. About a year ago we were talking about her potential and how she would fit into the new LPGA mix. Unfortunately things have changed a tad in the last year. She seems to have lost her way. And who can blame a 17-year-old kid for not knowing quite what to do.

Erik J. Barzeski recently explored the Wie fiasco in The Continuing Michelle Wie Saga. It sparked some thought. Here's what I think Michelle Wie could do to right the ship…

Number Five: Dump Daddy's Expectations

Being a golden child must be a nightmare. For Michelle Wie it's the media frenzy piled on the high hopes of her parents. There has to come a time when Michelle Wie sits mom and dad down and says, "Thanks for your care, for raising me, and for instilling a great work ethic, but I'm going to live my life the way that I think is right."

The real shame is that there may be few places that Michelle Wie can be herself. If Pops is as overbearing as he seems to the rest of the world, life can't be fun. The first place to start would be to establish some parental boundaries.

Number Four: Enjoy the Game

I think a pretty good case can be made for playing golf only if you love it. Ms. Wie is playing like golf is a bummer. So my free advice, worth exactly what Michelle has paid for it, is to rediscover her love for the game. Try to get a tee time with people she likes. Play for fun, not for the score.

If Michelle Wie is unable to enjoy golf at this stage in her life, probably the best thing she can do is hang up the Nike contract and parental expectations and dump her tournament commitments. She shouldn't pick up the game again until she wants to. Until then, be a college girl.

Number Three: Quit the PGA Tour

I'm personally tired of the Wie circus on the PGA Tour. I thought her decision to dump the John Deer Classic was a great one. Perhaps that was a step in the right direction.

The problem with the PGA Tour is that Michelle isn't going to get a hero's welcome from the boys. Many of them believe they have their Tour and Michelle Wie has hers. An occasional trip to the PGA Tour would enable Wie to pursue her goal of making the cut on the boys turf but making it a staple of her schedule is absurd.

Number Two: Play A Limited LPGA Schedule

The very best thing that Michelle Wie can do is try to recapture some of her initial magic on the LPGA Tour. Check out her 2006 LPGA Major performances:

British Kraft LPGA U.S. Open

T3 T3 T5 T3

It was better than Sorenstam accomplished as an amateur and should have given her a confidence boost. Wie could take a Tiger or Mickelson approach to the majors by preparing for the big events in regular LPGA Tour events. There's gotta be enough sponsors exemptions out there for her.

Number One: Be A Kid

Michelle Wie is entering Stanford this fall in what could be the most enjoyable years of her life. She should enjoy school, pursue studies about which she's passionate, make a bunch of friends, and study at Denny's until 5 a.m.

The only expectations on Michelle Wie are the ones she puts on herself. The media will churn stats and speculate about her chances of competing seriously on any tour but she's got to learn to ignore the media firestorm. Some of the $10 million has to be left so she should spend holidays at home, visit friends, and do her best to lead a comfortable life.

In the "Wie Saga" article I mentioned earlier, Erik was right in saying that if Wie isn't careful she could burn out before she's out of the gate. I hope she doesn't do that, because she is a phenomenal talent. She's proven her ability to contend in LPGA majors and her inability to have much fun at PGA Tour events.

Note to Michelle Wie: Take a deep breath and start again. Give yourself a do-over.

Photo Credits: .

Originally Published at http://thesandtrap.com/columns/trap_five/c...g_the_wie_storm.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree with points, Michelle can't play a much more "limited" LPGA schedule than the Tour rules allow, which is 6. That's 3 of the 4 majors -- The USGA is responsible for the 4th. I'm thinking the kid should drop out of pro golf and concentrate on Stanford for the next four years. Like swallow hard and tell Nike and Samsung, "Thanks, but I have other plans for the next few years." As in drop them before they drop her.

While I agree with points, Michelle can't play a much more "limited" LPGA schedule than the Tour rules allow, which is 6. That's 3 of the 4 majors -- The USGA is responsible for the 4th. I'm thinking the kid should drop out of pro golf and concentrate on Stanford for the next four years. Like swallow hard and tell Nike and Samsung, "Thanks, but I have other plans for the next few years." As in drop them before they drop her.

She isn't a member of the tour, so the limits don't apply to her. The only downside is she must be invited to play.

I also think she has some responsibility to play. I'm not sure what her contracts stipulate, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that she'd be paying the bulk of her deals back, not to mention the fact that she is responsible to see her agreements through.

She doesn't have to leave professional golf to recover her life; just set the ground rules for herself.

Number Five: Dump Daddy's Expectations

Being a golden child must be a nightmare. For Michelle Wie it's the media frenzy piled on the high hopes of her parents. There has to come a time when Michelle Wie sits mom and dad down and says, "Thanks for your care, for raising me, and for instilling a great work ethic, but I'm going to live my life the way that I think is right."

The real shame is that there may be few places that Michelle Wie can be herself. If Pops is as overbearing as he seems to the rest of the world, life can't be fun. The first place to start would be to establish some parental boundaries.

This might be splitting hairs but let's reserve the term 'Pops' for the man in golf who was so endearingly referred to in that manner. BJ Wie is no 'Pops' in mind. :bad:

Just one man's opinion.

"She isn't a member of the tour, so the limits don't apply to her. The only downside is she must be invited to play."

The limits are set by the LPGA. A non-member is allowed to only accept 6 sponsor exemptions per season. Ms Wie gets one more because the US Womens' Open isn't sponsored by the LPGA, but by the USGA. As a non-member she is also not permitted to Monday qualify for additional tournaments. The 6-event rule was one of the excuses for inconsistent play. The typical tour member will opt to play 4 events in succession before taking a week or more off for R&R, sponsor committments or to just work on some part of her game with which she isn't satisfied. The same is true of the PGA. Oh, and both Tours have a minimum number of tournaments requirement. Tiger and Annika seldom played more than 15 tournaments. Then there are ironmen/women who play schedules of in excess of 22 events.

"She isn't a member of the tour, so the limits don't apply to her. The only downside is she must be invited to play."

The limits are set by the LPGA. A non-member is allowed to only accept 6 sponsor exemptions per season. Ms Wie gets one more because the US Womens' Open isn't sponsored by the LPGA, but by the USGA. As a non-member she is also not permitted to Monday qualify for additional tournaments. The 6-event rule was one of the excuses for inconsistent play. The typical tour member will opt to play 4 events in succession before taking a week or more off for R&R, sponsor committments or to just work on some part of her game with which she isn't satisfied. The same is true of the PGA. Oh, and both Tours have a minimum number of tournaments requirement. Tiger and Annika seldom played more than 15 tournaments. Then there are ironmen/women who play schedules of in excess of 22 events.

Your post was unclear.

Your post reads as though you are saying she can't play fewer than 6 events, and she certainly may play a more limited season if she chooses. I'm not sure what Monday qualifying has to do with anything either. The discussion is about limiting her schedule, not increasing it. There is no lower limit imposed for non-members of the tour.

I am also aware that both tours have a minimum number of events - for members. So that also really isn't relevant here.

Michelle Wie had the opportunity to really make a difference in the LPGA and become the poster child for them as Annika was on her way out, but she choose to want to play in the PGA and try to make a cut in a tournament she was not going to win anyway. Not right now.

The LPGA was bending over backwards for her, but now realized that they don't need her as much as they thought with the talented new stars of Cramers, Ochoa, Pettersen, Pressel and Gulbis to name a few.. That have really giving the LPGA a new boost and some new faces to look forward to.

She has great talent.. there is no deny it.. but if she concentrates in College.. dominates and then returns to the LPGA .then I think she will gain fans back and the respect of the LPGA players.. which I think right now..wish she would just disappear..

She is 17, but has no humilty, as she has been giving everything and thinks is a birthright.

She should look at those other young players and take a notes!!

Driver:  TourEdge Exotic Pro 10.5 with NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff
3 -Wood: Cobra King SZ with Tensei AV Blue Stiff
4-Hybrid: Cobra King F9 Hybrid
Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC - 5-PW , w/SteelFiber i125
WedgesCleveland RTX 4 RAW - 52 ,56, 60
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven S, 34in
BallsTaylorMade TPx  & Snell MTB-X-
GPS:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

TESTING: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.

Nike have been very understanding with Duval and I dare say would be even more so with Wie if she wanted to step back for a couple of years.

Her playing men's events is nothing more than stupidity. She does not have the game for it, she's not welcomed by the PGA members and she loses face every time.

Let's be honest, on current form she does not have the game for the LPGA.

Headon -- Sorry about clarity problem. I was attempting (unsuccessfully) to respond to your comment that the "limits" don't apply to her. Her participation in LPGA events is VERY restricted. A non-member may only accept 6 invitations and isn't able to increase that by Monday qualifying. My point is that it's very difficult to obtain and remain competition-ready. Michelle often doesn't have the luxury of playing the event leading up to a major to assure that her game is on track.

Can you imagine where your game would be if you only played 6 times a year? Sure they practice and play practice rounds, but every analyst and many players will tell you that those just don't count as you can't simulate competition or replicate the competition course set up -- well, maybe at Oakmont -- but the LPGA won't be there for another 2 years.

She is 17, but has no humilty, as she has been giving everything and thinks is a birthright.

Unfortunately, the problem would appear to be greater than that.

Having just watched her post Round 2 US Open news conference, I'd suggest that she has an honesty problem. For a pro in a game where you are required to call a penalty upon yourself, that's a worrying personal trait.

She came, she took the cash, she had a very cyncical laugh at the expense of the paying public. Perhaps she should try politics....

Wie has issues outside of all those mentioned, she has a character issue or lack thereof. She can blame this on her parents if she wants, but I have teenage daughters who understand life, honesty and character better than she does.

She needs to step away, go to college and EARN everything that comes her way in golf again. It will develop her character and raise her level in the eyes of her peers.

This is a sad story getting worse most days now. I wish her luck in the future, provided she grows into her future and sets her own course.

Joe

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 55 Stiff
Wood: Ping G425 5 & 7 Wood  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 75 Stiff

Hybrid: Ping 425 4i Mitsubishi Tensei Orange

Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW

Ping Glide 4.0 54 and 58 Wilson Tour Forged 56 and 60
Putter: LAB Directed Force 2.1 (33-69)//Seemore Custom "The Big Fluffy"
Bag: Vessel Player III

Maria Sharapova seems to have a similar father but she has done alright to date. I think it is just a difference in personalities. Michelle expects everything to be given to her because at one time she could play golf--even before her wrist injury (Furyk has had numerous more serious surgeries by the way to his wrists and has come back) she was rapidly slipping from her earlier teen years.

Maria on the other hand is the epitome of a fighter. Even when she is getting soundly beaten she still gives it her all. Doesn't default or withdraw with a boo boo.