2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Respect...

How are you guys treated at your home courses? Around here there's only 5 teens that play all year long. The main reason is the treatment we receive. Even though I can kick the crap out of 99% of the people at my club, they still look down on me like I'm a worthless hacker. I pay my own fees to play and they act like I'm getting a free ride and just wasting their course. We had a club meeting last week and the topic of Ladies Day was addressed. I suggested that it should start at 1:00 pm and end at 6:00 pm so the rest of the members would be able to enjoy this great game. Of course I was immediately attacked by some old gizzard attached to an oxygen tank...I pay to play so why can't I?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesnt just happen to you... its kind of like coming over the adversity. Older gentleman were not used to younger members of society on the course when they were younger, and they dont want to change at 70 or however old they are. Normally if you treat the course with respect and dont slow down the pace of play you will be respected... however many times that is not the case. Its funny on how a teenager with a single digit handicap is frowned upon, while a 50 over hacker who buys a few beers is treated like a king... just the world we live in.

ok you are going to discrim against women...then expect yourself not to be ?

Ouch, lol

Its okay to have one day set aside a year for a "Ladies Day" To me thats not something to get too mad about.

How about you try for a "Juniors Day" instead of trying to fight for a 5 hour block of time on one day?

Anyway, the main thing is to earn people's respect little by little. Our public course has many members that I see at work everyday. Most are nice to me, but as of late, I've been able to play rounds with alot of them, and most of them didn't know I played or had any sort of game. Suddenly, at the end of the round when you shoot a mid to low 70s score like I have been doing with them, and if you remain humble about it and display the proper ettiquite, they will start to respect you even more.

Its a slow process, but I'd say instead of playing with your friends, get a tee time with a variety of the members at your course, and show them you mean their course (and yours) no harm.

And lay low at club meetings. Speak when spoken to :russian_roulette:

[sign here]

How am I discriminating against women? I'd just like to play golf. And the way the schedule I have between my parents (Divorced) is setup, the only day I can play golf with my Dad is Thursday (ladies day) and I know many other courses schedule ladies day the way I mentioned to our Club's board. I am discriminating against NO ONE; youth are the ones being discriminated and shunned upon at my course.

Perhaps it was the "Old Gizzard" comment that he was referring to. Why would you think it's acceptable to call someone that and then think that you will get respect?

Respect is earned. It is not given away. Prove yourself worthy of their respect and you will earn it. Having game does not necessarily mean that they should drop to their knees and worship you. Be cordial. Be polite. Respect them. They will eventually come around to you.

And if they don't, F-'em!

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

How am I discriminating against women? I'd just like to play golf. And the way the schedule I have between my parents (Divorced) is setup, the only day I can play golf with my Dad is Thursday (ladies day) and I know many other courses schedule ladies day the way I mentioned to our Club's board. I am discriminating against NO ONE; youth are the ones being discriminated and shunned upon at my course.

The way I see it is :

you say you pay your own way, but how do those geezers know that ? besides paying you own way to me means you paid the init fee and monthly dues by yourself... I kinda doubt you are doing that.

ok now on the ladies day thing... why do you suggust they only play during certain times of the day if you are not discrimating against them....what if they did something similar to you juniors ??? how would you feel then.

Until you pay the FULL ride yourself, consider yourself lucky.. I'd would have killed to grow up on or near a CC with privs.. are you kidding me ! I grew up playing dogtracks...

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

The way I see it is :

you say you pay your own way, but how do those geezers know that ? besides paying you own way to me means you paid the init fee and monthly dues by yourself... I kinda doubt you are doing that.

ok now on the ladies day thing... why do you suggust they only play during certain times of the day if you are not discrimating against them....what if they did something similar to you juniors ??? how would you feel then.

Until you pay the FULL ride yourself, consider yourself lucky.. I'd would have killed to grow up on or near a CC with privs.. are you kidding me ! I grew up playing dogtracks...

First off, I live in a pretty small town (15,000 pop.) and both of our courses are pretty low quality. I started paying my own dues ($400 per year/$40 monthly) 2 years ago when my Dad moved away.

Secondly, my suggesting they play at a certain time of day gave them the prime time of our course to have ALL to themselves. If they did that for juniors, that'd be sweet. We never will achieve a Juniors Day because of our incredibly low number of youth golfers.

All I would like is the respect I deserve for giving what I can to the Club and it's members. I help with almost all of our tournaments and next year I am actually organizing a tournament to benefit our high school sports programs myself. I've worked out there since I was 12; picking the range and doing various other small things for our Pro Shop. Now I'm organizing demo days and helping to keep our inventory up to date and appealing to our customers. Maybe a lot of the members don't recognize how much time and effort I spend to keep our club a nice place to get equipment, whether it's big or small. I don't know if you remember how stressful it is to have a craving to play golf after watching a PGA tournament on TV. But who knows, maybe spending the hours on the range that I do on Men's and Ladies' day is helping me no matter how much I just want to play.....

I have 3 children. age 25, 17,15. You have to pay the piper. I am sorry but society is still based on this fact. " a child is seen and not heard" if u are over 21, legal drinking age. then say something. but as long as u are getting free things and arent even 18, you are a minor. You have to go to school, you cant buy a car, or get a loan by yourself. Children have no right to say anything in a adult public meeting. Period case closed. When u are old to do those things you will realize that I am telling the truth. Until then, I am sorry. Go ahead and think things are bad. The world has rules for ALL the people not just for the convenice of one person.

I totally agree with that justaman....I'm only 17 .....but i have realized that even though i do pay my own dues for our course.....i have no right to walk into a meeting and try to get them to do things the way i want them done.......Most of us(kids) can pay our own way....and that really doesn't mean they have to respect us....If i was one of the older members at your course miles....and i knew the kind of crap you were saying on this board...theres no way in all of earth that i'd have any kind of respect for you at all......Yeah you do help around the club and try to make things better....but can you honestly say that you're making them better only for everyone else...I have a feeling you're working so hard to make it all better so that its better for yourself, and then better for the other members.....So....until then...either man up and know that respect will come in time or just keep pouting around and well...honestly....you'll never be given any respect...but by coming on this board and disrespecting the older members at your course....i see no reason why they should show you any respect at all....just my $.2

by the way...i work at my club....and i pay dues to help out my family....i don't think that i deserve any more respect than the next guy...but because i'm nice and i try to hang out and relate to the older members and have conversations and play with them....they do respect both me and my game

Titleist TSR3 Ventus TR Blue 6X
Titleist TSi3 HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

Mizuno MP20 HMB 18* HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
Kyoei KK Black MB 4-PW KBS Tour 125 S+
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 50/9
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 54/11
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 58/11
TaylorMade Tour Preferred Bandon 3
TaylorMade 2021 TP5X

i keep reading the general sentimant that youre a child and dont have the right to talk at the club meeting. and they are all a bunch of geezers apparently because you dont earn respect blah blah blah you earn dis respect!!! every one should be respected JUST FOR BEING A HUMAN(until you do something to take away that respect) therefore you hve all the right in the world as a due paying memeber your ideas and suggestions are just as if noty more important than the oolder ppl. YOU are the future of golf THEY are the future of worm food!! youth rules and always will but with that you have to realize that older ppl feel one upped by you and feel that you shouldnt play. if they have no respect whether youre 5 or 500 that shows alot about theire carachter and i bet theyre all "catholic" im not bashing religion at all i just think its funny how many ppl are " devout" but get all too upset when the youngsters are on teh course and they have to downplay theire racism and sexist remarks it must get too them not being able to be a horrible person. b

I totally agree with that justaman....I'm only 17 .....but i have realized that even though i do pay my own dues for our course.....i have no right to walk into a meeting and try to get them to do things the way i want them done.......Most of us(kids) can pay our own way....and that really doesn't mean they have to respect us....If i was one of the older members at your course miles....and i knew the kind of crap you were saying on this board...theres no way in all of earth that i'd have any kind of respect for you at all......Yeah you do help around the club and try to make things better....but can you honestly say that you're making them better only for everyone else...I have a feeling you're working so hard to make it all better so that its better for yourself, and then better for the other members.....So....until then...either man up and know that respect will come in time or just keep pouting around and well...honestly....you'll never be given any respect...but by coming on this board and disrespecting the older members at your course....i see no reason why they should show you any respect at all....just my $.2

by the way...i work at my club....and i pay dues to help out my family....i don't think that i deserve any more respect than the next guy...but because i'm nice and i try to hang out and relate to the older members and have conversations and play with them....they do respect both me and my game

You are wise beyond your years. Very, very well said. The rest of you juniors that can't get any respect take heed. This guys got it figured out. :aggressive:

You are wise beyond your years. Very, very well said. The rest of you juniors that can't get any respect take heed. This guys got it figured out. :aggressive:

Agree...one thing to keep in mind, respect is earned not just given. Luckily I have played with juniors who are respectful, then there is the other side which I try to determine a way to cut my round short without being rude.

i keep reading the general sentimant that youre a child and dont have the right to talk at the club meeting. and they are all a bunch of geezers apparently because you dont earn respect blah blah blah you earn dis respect!!! every one should be respected JUST FOR BEING A HUMAN(until you do something to take away that respect) therefore you hve all the right in the world as a due paying memeber your ideas and suggestions are just as if noty more important than the oolder ppl. YOU are the future of golf THEY are the future of worm food!! youth rules and always will but with that you have to realize that older ppl feel one upped by you and feel that you shouldnt play. if they have no respect whether youre 5 or 500 that shows alot about theire carachter and i bet theyre all "catholic" im not bashing religion at all i just think its funny how many ppl are " devout" but get all too upset when the youngsters are on teh course and they have to downplay theire racism and sexist remarks it must get too them not being able to be a horrible person. b

That's a huge part I'm worried about. My golf team has a total of 12 members, JV and Varsity. Most of them are only on the team because of parental influence (forced). I try to bring my friends out as much as I can but they notice how much we're looked down upon. I really don't think our course will be able to survive my generation...

I've got to support Miles on this one.

Older folk should care about our future generation. Programs like www.cylc.org that my 12 year old has gone to twice, allowing my daugther to come to my office on occasions, all build character and leadership abilities for her. It allows her to grow. She's going into 8th grade this fall, and at this rate, she'll be taking pre-calculus as a freshman in high school.

If she was surrounded by adults uninterested in her, she'd still do well academically, but she'd probably grow up being bitter at the same people that had the chance of being right with her. With the support she's gotten over the years, she's succeeding in life but more importantly, she embraces my generation with a good heart and a right attitude.

Imagine the support given to miles. Who knows what inspiration this may instill in him.

Now it just seems like he's becoming bitter.

For the record, as far as ladies "day" goes... I assume you are talking about a weekly thing, like thursday is ladies day or something... At most clubs, this really means that they get the peak tee times, like from 9-1; not ALL day. So whether you are a kid or not, as a member, I think you do have a right to ask that that be changed so that you can at least have a few hours on the course. Although, if you are talking about a once a year or once a quarter occurrence, you probably don't have a case because it is just like a tournament.

If you want things to change and think that you can't do it yourself, you should have an adult conversation (as in; the word geizer or old hag isn't used) with some of the more respected members of the club, club president, owner, whatever, and try to get support. As I said, most places don't set aside 1/7th of the week for women, and they shouldn't expect for your club to either, unless there are times when they cannot play.

For the record, as far as ladies "day" goes... I assume you are talking about a weekly thing, like thursday is ladies day or something... At most clubs, this really means that they get the peak tee times, like from 9-1; not ALL day. So whether you are a kid or not, as a member, I think you do have a right to ask that that be changed so that you can at least have a few hours on the course. Although, if you are talking about a once a year or once a quarter occurrence, you probably don't have a case because it is just like a tournament.

If you want things to change and think that you can't do it yourself, you should have an adult conversation (as in; the word geizer or old hag isn't used) with some of the more respected members of the club, club president, owner, whatever, and try to get support. As I said, most places don't set aside 1/7th of the week for women, and they shouldn't expect for your club to either, unless there are times when they cannot play.

You're right, it is a weekly thing. Every Thursday from the time the course opens to the time it closes, it belongs to the ladies. I actually played a round with our club President this morning and he had some interesting points. He said in the next meeting, if enough juniors are present, the Men's Association at our course would agree to open the course on Men's Day from 7:00 am to 12:00 pm. That, in my opinion, is a HUGE gain for the juniors as well as the ladies who would like to play. I asked him if any thoughts, such as this, have come across from the Ladies' Association. He just chuckled and said, "Not a chance. They will never give up their day." I thought I would gain access to the course on Ladies' Day WAY before I'd get to play on Men's Day. Idk, maybe it's just me, but they seem to be the more die-hard tradionalists but I'm very happy with this announcement.

EDIT: He also added that Ladies' Day might be cancled for good because, on average, they lose around $800 of NET income, not just sales but NET income. I always knew that there weren't many women out for their day, but I just thought that amount was staggering for how small our club is.

Thank you very much.....I don't know exactly why but i've always gotten along better with adults...i mean yea i like to have fun and joke around...and be a kid....but when you're talking to people that are older than you....you NEED to show respect...i don't care how they treat you...thats how it was and thats how it should be....unfortunately its not...and thats one reason this country is having some trouble...the lack of respect and humility to the older generations.....yea..they may be old..and they may be a pain...but remember...they are the ones who have shaped what we have today...they are the ones who have given us the ability to live how we are living....so yeah...just show some respect..it may take a while...but you'll get it eventually....maybe not from those members....but by future individuals

Titleist TSR3 Ventus TR Blue 6X
Titleist TSi3 HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

Mizuno MP20 HMB 18* HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
Kyoei KK Black MB 4-PW KBS Tour 125 S+
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 50/9
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 54/11
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 58/11
TaylorMade Tour Preferred Bandon 3
TaylorMade 2021 TP5X

but remember...they are the ones who have shaped what we have today...

hahaha ill just stop with that!!! are you really excited about the state of our country ???

i want to say i love old ppl. i love them i think they are great and i know alot of great older ppl but that being said theyre arnt exactly an open minded bunch and that leads to problems

I love my home course…

I’ve been living in my golf course neighborhood for over 8 years and have had good experience with my home course…

Management has changed once or twice but generally the pros have always been very friendly and accommodating to me…

I’ve made many friends and acquaintances playing there and love the convenience of being able to have a nice quiet round with a friendly neighbor after a long day at the office…

Im treated pretty well @ the few courses that i play @ by the older members, i just stike up converastions with them. Just go on the putting green and talk to one of them while your putting, ask them how their day is going. The best way to make somone look like an a** and to make you look like a good person is to, no matter how mean they are to you, walk by them everyday with a smile on your face and be like "Hey hows it goin" or "Good Afternoon".............eventually they will either loosen up or hate you, but other members will notice your good demenior (or however you spell it haha) and relize that you are harmless. It seems to work for me

But on the other hand the people icant stand are the people from out of town who theink they are better than everyone else.

• 2 weeks later...

there are many juniors at my course and we have restrictions when we can play. They are not bad though. the thing I hate the most is slow play. We are told to let older members play through when they catch us which is no big deal but when we are held up they just take there time like we werent even there. It is the most annoying thing in the world and can add an hour and a half to 18 holes.

a full day must suck, seeeing as the course would be open for such a long time. At my club we have a couple restrictions but its not that bad. We cant tee off before 1 if a shotgun and noon if its not on tuesdays(ladies day) and we have to tee off before 11 on wednesdays(mens day) and then we are not supposed to tee off until 3 on weekends but the pros let us out at around 2. so its good cause there isnt a day where you cant golf. Another way to get to know some members and have them respect you is to join up with them. If you have good ettiquette and shoot low when you are playing with them, you will get some respect from the older members

i want to say i love old ppl. i love them i think they are great and i know alot of great older ppl but that being said theyre arnt exactly an open minded bunch and that leads to problems

Just for kicks you should print that, put it in a safe place, then pull it out when you are, "old" and read it carefully. Then think long and hard about what you were thinking when you wrote it. Then focus on what it means to you now as well as how it may apply to you. :smilie_ping:

Welcome to the club. Juniors around my area (various clubs) get treated like garbage. Discriminating against age...

have 3 children. age 25, 17,15. You have to pay the piper. I am sorry but society is still based on this fact. " a child is seen and not heard" if u are over 21, legal drinking age. then say something. but as long as u are getting free things and arent even 18, you are a minor. You have to go to school, you cant buy a car, or get a loan by yourself. Children have no right to say anything in a adult public meeting. Period case closed. When u are old to do those things you will realize that I am telling the truth. Until then, I am sorry. Go ahead and think things are bad. The world has rules for ALL the people not just for the convenice of one person.

A lot of hate and anger coming from this post. It saddens me that you are a father of three yet don't feel that they should be able to voice their opinion, or at least be respected as a human being. They are the future. Do you want them to be as crude as you?

By the way, the original poster isn't getting a free ride. I don't believe his father is even in the picture.

I think that it depends on the particular golf course and what their particular rules are regarding junior golf play. I know at all of the private clubs that I worked at in my career, those were guidelines set up by the membership as a whole. Junior members or junior golfers at the clubs I was at were not full members, they had limited access to the features that full members paid for.

That being said they could play with their parents at almost any time. Unsupervised they had certain restrictions on when they could play and practice.

IMO I agree that junior golfers are treated unfairly in many instances. But some of them also bring that treatment upon themselves. The ones that don't cause problems and are good upstanding members and respectful, are the ones that get penalized because of the reputation that is caused by the ones that are out of line and add to the bad reputation.

It is a tough position to be in, on one had you have good kids that never do anything wrong, respect all the members, and know their place. On the other hand you have the punk kids, that cause problems, break the rules, cause havoc at the club and really don't care. I have seen both sides of the argument and it is not an easy one to answer.

Maybe you can form a junior committee or something at your club, and if you are the only member, so be it. Go to the general manager or whomever and suggest it. If he refutes the idea, become friends with someone on the board and suggest it him. Basically don't take no for an answer and form your committee, then maybe you will have a say, even if it is a small one. You are entitled to your opinion, but there are ways to go about it to make sure that you come across as an intelligent young man. If you come across as a young kid that is not getting his way you probably won't accomplish what you want.

I hope that you are able to play golf with your Dad on Thursdays.....It seems that is all you are wanting out of this.

DG

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H