ASK QUESTIONS: Live with John Haime on Mental Performance!

John Haime works with some of the world’s leading athletes in mental/emotional performance development and he wants to help you. He has been a GolfWRX Contributor for the past 18 months, and his articles have been well received and followed. As a next step, we’d like to introduce you to John and give you the opportunity to ask him questions related to your curiosities about the mental and emotional part of the game in a GolfWRX Forum Chat.

John’s golf background is impressive. He grew up as one of Canada’s top junior and amateur players, had a successful NCAA career and played professional golf globally for more than six years years with several tournament wins and a record-breaking 62 in an event in Australia. His father is a 40-year PGA Golf Professional and his brother is one of Canada’s leading Golf Instructors.

John currently works with athletes, executives and artists globally. His client list includes some of the world’s leading athletes in a variety of sports from golf, tennis, hockey, football, basketball, squash, equestrian and others. He is often called on by leading PGA Tour coaches to offer assistance to players in a number of areas of high performance.

His 5-step New Edge Performance process is a well-rounded performance solution designed to help players, and it uses key pieces from emotional intelligence, sport psychology, executive coaching and neuroscience. John also helps professional athlete clients transition from their careers in sport to new careers and passions. He has recently created a leading-edge developmental online coaching program for athletes to introduce them to the fundamentals of mental/emotional performance development.

If you are struggling with your game or would like to know more about the "mysterious" mental and emotional part of golf, join us for a Live Forum Chat February 22 at 1 p.m. EST. John will simplify things for you and highlight his work with the world’s best. He’ll give you some ideas how you might take further advantage of your technical and physical abilities, and most important of all, enjoy the game and the time you put into it.

Leave questions for John below, and he'll be in this thread to answer them on February 22 at 1 p.m. EST.

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey John,

As much as I try not to let my poor play get to me, it seems to always take over my mind and it's difficult to recover. There are some clubs that I don't even swing anymore because I have already psyched myself into a bad shot (before I even swing). I do have a question- what's your best strategy for when a player starts to unravel and/or feels rushed? Also, any tips for when a player starts to lose confidence in their putter?

Thanks

Hey John,

Simple question here- When you get in that subconscious groove better known as "the zone" how can you stay or maintain that groove? Especially over a 36 hole event or a multiday tournament? Obviously over that many holes there will be hiccups, but what is an easy way to get back into the swing of things?

Taylormade M2 10.5° [color=#0000ff]Graphite Design AD-BB 7x[/color]
Titleist 913 FD 15° [color=#a9a9a9]Diamana 'Ahina 70x[/color]
Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron [color=#a9a9a9]Accra 110i[/color]
Titleist 716 MB 4-PW [color=#0000ff]Project X 6.0[/color]
Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]
Scotty Cameron Newport [color=#daa520]Teryllium[/color] Sole Stamp

Golf performance seems to be a cyclical scenario. Some days everything feels good, you swing well, you think well, and your results reflect that.

Conversely, there are days when nothing feels right, the swing is off, you are confounded by a re-occurring miss that dominates your thinking. On those days, plotting out your strategy and playing smart seems to be overwhelmed by playing golf swing. You feel like you must focus on a particular swing key or feeling to ensure you can play somewhat effectively.

My question is, how does one manage those days when your results at the range leave you dreading the upcoming round? How do you approach the round, when you feel like every shot is going to be a mess (i.e. a pull hook) and if you don't try and adjust your swing to avoid it, the results will be bad?

In more simple terms, how do you turn off playing golf swing when the swing is performing lousy, and make yourself focus on playing golf?

Hello Mr. Haime, Currently I am a high school golfer looking to take my game to the next level. I love this game and spend countless hours playing it, but the question I had was how can I use my focus ability with a "snap of a finger" so I can get into the "zone" and stay in that zone whenever I need it, also on a mental error shot how can I better "erase" that shot from my head and not affect my upcoming shot and not let my emotions affect my round. I know also that I think wayyyy too much during every round and also need help with that. Thank you very much Mr. Haime I appreciate the time hopefully this gets answered thanks.

John.........Thank you for putting on this forum & especially for putting it through Golf WRX which in my humble opinion is the finest golf website in the industry !

My close personal friend ( Mark Craig ) has the athletic ability & the technical skills to shoot in the low 80's & high 70's when he can get out of his own way. If he starts the round with a double bogey ( frequently ) he just gets so despondent that the rest of his day is ruined. How can you suggest to him ( as I have many, many times ) that golf for better players is a process not necessarily associated with score focus.....when I play well, I'm focused on the planning of a shot, the execution of the shot itself, the outcome of the shot itself & how that little process makes me feel. As an aging golfer ( 60 ) who had professional skills when I was 20 my game has diminished to a 5hdcp. due to life long injuries, surgeries, pains.....the norm. All I have today is the ability to hit specific shots that are beyond the capabilities of most that I play with.....I relish those shots & the ability to hit them when I can. Scoring, on days when I am controlling the ball, is inconsequential......ball control matters. It's why I get depressed shooting 73 when I scrape the ball around the course in an ugly fashion to the amazement of my playing partners.....it kind of sucks. What can you explain to my friend Mark Craig that will help him get out of his own way, as I have been unable to get through to him in a positive manner for the last 6yrs.? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated John.

Respectfully,

greetings john!

we often hear about managing our misses, playing smart and using the percentages to give ourselves a chance to succeed. however, at some point, there often comes a time in the round/match/competition when it's all or nothing, and there's a distinct line between success and failure.

- what's the best way to clear our minds or calm ourselves in the moment when we absolutely have to go for it?

- how do we rebuild confidence if we've suffered a few consecutive defeats in a row?

thank you.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Hey Everyone,

Excited to be able to add some value to your golf and help you with your performance. Thanks to GolfWRX for the opportunity to connect with you.

If you post your question in this thread before the 22nd, my goal is to have your question answered by the morning of Wed. February 22.

If you'd like to post a follow-up, please feel free to. All questions will be answered.

Remember that you must also do the work on the mind game (like the other pieces of performance) if you want results. Fundamentals are the key like they are in everything. Short-term motivators like tips and tricks will initially appear to move the needle - but never last - and will take you in circles. Similar to the technical and physical game, it takes time and a committed plan to make strides forward that will produce lasting results.

Look forward to catching up on the 22nd and providing ideas.

John

Hey John,

As much as I try not to let my poor play get to me, it seems to always take over my mind and it's difficult to recover. There are some clubs that I don't even swing anymore because I have already psyched myself into a bad shot (before I even swing). I do have a question- what's your best strategy for when a player starts to unravel and/or feels rushed? Also, any tips for when a player starts to lose confidence in their putter?

Thanks

Hey Johnny Golfball

Thanks so much for the question …

Yup, emotions can really run the show in golf sometimes – your first action is being aware of those emotions. What might be the reasons for those emotions? Do you clearly understand the reasons for the poor play? Is it technical? Think about the answers and consider a little plan to address the problem. As for unraveling – usually emotion kicks in and if you let the circuit continue to run – it can destroy chunks of performance … or all of it! You physically have 90 seconds to express an emotion and then the circuit must be turned off (you choose to turn it off). FYI - Love the way Jordan Spieth does it – expresses his emotion after a good or bad shot and then moves on quickly. It’s OK to show emotion and express it – but it’s not great for performance to hang on to it and let it impact the next shot. Re: putting – how much work are you spending on your putting? Preparation is critical – and creating pressure on the practice green to “know” you can do it on the course. Look ahead to some of the answers below – may also help you. Keep in mind that losing confidence is most often a choice. If you tell yourself enough times that you are going to miss putts or that you are not a great putter – inevitably your subconscious will start believing it and your perception will become reality! Check out my article on Confidence on WRX articles.

Hey John,

Simple question here- When you get in that subconscious groove better known as "the zone" how can you stay or maintain that groove? Especially over a 36 hole event or a multiday tournament? Obviously over that many holes there will be hiccups, but what is an easy way to get back into the swing of things?

Hey Moegolfer11,

Million dollar question LOL!

Ultimately, every player wants to play with their subconscious taking advantage of great practice, coaching and experience – and not allowing that super slow processor – the thinking brain - to get in the way and overburdened with many thoughts. Needless to say, most players don’t “just play” – they overload with too many thoughts, they hesitate and then you know what happens from there!

I am obviously always working to help my players get into the place where they are comfortable, relaxed and feeling confident and “just playing”. For the long-term, we work on key fundamentals of mental/emotional high performance like self-awareness (strengths, limitations, triggers etc.), creating purpose, values and vision and an air tight athlete plan that includes all the steps needed to build consistency. Building the foundation of the house will improve and extend periods of great play. It takes work to build. If you have these fundamental pieces and have done the work on them – there is a better relationship with that “zone” and players will get in it more often.

A few keys for you - the zone is elusive and won’t always be there - but it’s critical to have a reliable routine that is consistent, a consistent level of focus - an ability to stay in the moment – moving ahead to outcome (future) or back to previous actions (past shots) will remove you from that zone – so enjoying the process of each shot is a part of it. You’ll string some good shots together and get that into that positive place of performance more often.

See a few of the other answers to questions below – might also help you with an idea or two.

How do you switch your mindset from "just getting par" to "need birdie"? In other words, the old adage, "playing to win" instead of "playing not to lose"

Hey Endy,

Great question. Thanks for taking the time to ask to post …

Winning and losing is funny in sport. It’s something you really can’t control – and the more you focus on it – the more difficult winning can become. Often players who win in golf go into a week expecting very little, “just playing”, and that de-emphasis of the outcome (winning) often will surprise them and they get a great result. I think for you – taking the emphasis off of par and birdie – and “just playing” - staying in the moment of each shot will maximize your capabilities on that day. If you do things well and put yourself in a position to win a golf tournament (through a shot by shot process) – that’s when you adjust your game plan based on how you are playing/feeling and the target score you think you may need to finish on top of the leaderboard. It may involve taking some risk or not taking it based on where you are in the tournament.

Something that might help – with our athletes we always stress that there’s really no such thing as a big momentjust another moment. Same goes for golf – there’s no such thing as a big hole – just another hole – your objective is to always play it the best you can based on a game plan of how you’ve planned to execute on each hole. Whether is hole 1, 36 or 72 - it's another hole and the shots are the same value.

Remember that pressure is a privilege and gives meaning to your game – so when you get in a position to reach your goal – embrace it. Pressure with all of our athletes is always positive and gives their performance meaning.

Short putts kill me. Def a mental thing. Any suggestions into not getting so involved in must make putts

Thanks for the question Ryan – good one.

The closer we get to the hole, the more mental/emotional the game can become. There is little you can do about the eventual outcome of a putt – there are factors in your control and some beyond your control. The more emphasis you put on the outcome (moving your mind forward to the fear of missing, what your score will be based on making or missing or any outcome or expectation) the less fun the game becomes, the more anxiety there is and the less putts you’ll probably make. A complete focus on the process of what is needed to make the putt, a consistent routine (every single time no matter how long the putt or what it means) will help you. We work hard with our athletes to become really efficient at this – mindfulness exercises have become a big part of the focus work – really keeping the mind in the moment of the putt and completely off of the outcome. If they make it great – if they miss it – tap it in and move forward to the next challenge.

FYI – we also work a lot on the internal voice and shaping it properly. We create the “emotional caddie” for the player so there is perspective and support and not a judgmental and outcome oriented voice bellowing through their mind!!!

Golf performance seems to be a cyclical scenario. Some days everything feels good, you swing well, you think well, and your results reflect that.

Conversely, there are days when nothing feels right, the swing is off, you are confounded by a re-occurring miss that dominates your thinking. On those days, plotting out your strategy and playing smart seems to be overwhelmed by playing golf swing. You feel like you must focus on a particular swing key or feeling to ensure you can play somewhat effectively.

My question is, how does one manage those days when your results at the range leave you dreading the upcoming round? How do you approach the round, when you feel like every shot is going to be a mess (i.e. a pull hook) and if you don't try and adjust your swing to avoid it, the results will be bad?

In more simple terms, how do you turn off playing golf swing when the swing is performing lousy, and make yourself focus on playing golf?

Thanks for the question Steve – a good one …

Yes, agree - all performance is cyclical – you will have great days, good days, OK day and not so good days. It’s the nature of sport and of being human! Certainly adapting your game to “what’s on” on the practice tee is key – being aware of how you feel and adjusting based on what you have that day. This is where all golfers also really need a “stock shot” – when you don’t have your best stuff or encounter a difficult situation on the course where the shot doesn’t fit your eye - or you are struggling with the swing motion and feels – you have the ability to hit a particular shot that will keep the ball in a position where you can make a score. This is also why short game practice is so critical. Many players get obsessed with the swing motion and long game – knowing that no matter how much they practice – they will have days where ball striking will be poor – and they still don’t practice the short game enough to offset poor ball-striking days. Remember that the very best professionals average about 12 greens in reg/round – so when you are working all day, not hitting hundreds of balls, reviewing video – and don’t have world-class talent! – short game becomes even more important for you.

Remember too – one swing thought is OK to throw into the thinking part of the brain – but “just playing” with the subconscious is where you want to be – solving problems with what you have on that day – good or bad. Intimately understanding your own game, smart play to your strengths and the course's weaknesses and an efficient short game will almost always keep you in the game.

Hello Mr. Haime, Currently I am a high school golfer looking to take my game to the next level. I love this game and spend countless hours playing it, but the question I had was how can I use my focus ability with a "snap of a finger" so I can get into the "zone" and stay in that zone whenever I need it, also on a mental error shot how can I better "erase" that shot from my head and not affect my upcoming shot and not let my emotions affect my round. I know also that I think wayyyy too much during every round and also need help with that. Thank you very much Mr. Haime I appreciate the time hopefully this gets answered thanks.

Hey A-Man! Great job on spending all the time on your game and developing your skills! Thanks for the question.

It’s really key at your age to spend some time developing your “mind game”. Just like the fundamentals in your physical game (grip, set-up, posture, basic swing motion) – there are fundamentals in the mind game – self-awareness (really knowing yourself well and how your emotions impact you from shot to shot on the course), your purpose, your values, your vision, understanding self-confidence and how to build it, having a really great athlete plan for yourself, building your focus muscles, shaping your own voice so it supports you, how to reflect on each performance and use it to improve and others. These are all things you can work on.

Your “zone” and “erasing” shot challenges relate to your ability to very much keep yourself in the moment of the shot and not allowing your focus to “reach forward” or “step back”. Players who stay in the moment can hit lots of good shots - and strings of good shots can create a bit of momentum and a good feeling. But, it all starts with each shot, being in the moment of each one and not get distracted by the future or what you’ve just done. Have a look at Jordan Spieth – he expresses his emotion if he doesn’t hit a good one – that’s great – it shows he’s human – but he moves on quickly and prepares for the next one. He’s aware of the emotion – knows he’s not happy, expresses the emotion and then moves on. Jordan is also one of the best at reflecting on rounds, learning what can make him better and applying it.

To help you … really be clear on what might bother you on the course. When does the anger keep going and affect the next shot? This is self-awareness – really understanding your triggers – so you can be prepared and understand what’s happening when the emotion becomes strong.

It would help to build your focus muscles – learning how to stay in the moment – we use mindfulness exercises with all levels of athletes to help them learn how to bring themselves back to the moment when they drift off.

You might be interested in a simple, affordable, convenient program we just put online to help build the mental/emotional skills - see athletemind.johnhaime.com. Something to consider to work on your game.

Keep up the great work my friend - dream big!

Hello. Are there any breathing techniques or relaxation techniques that can be used on the course to help focus the mind and push out the useless drivel?

Hey Chilly Dipper – thanks for the question …

Yes, as mentioned above, we use a lot of mindfulness practices with all of our athetes. With the many distractions in golf – building the focus muscles through breathing exercises can help when the pressure builds and anxiety creeps in. We recommend athletes work for 10 minutes every second day – focusing on the breath (inhale and exhale) – when the mind wanders, acknowledge the thoughts – and then bring the attention back to the breath and work to keep it there (the breath is like a centre point and you are always working to bring the focus back to the centre). For you, work on it off the course and when you feel anxious, focus on bringing your attention to your breath (the centre – where are calm and relaxed). This can also build your ability to stay in the moment. The “useless drivel” you talk about can often be the mind reaching forward to what hasn’t happened yet or judgment about what you’ve just done. Yes, that is useless because all that matters is the shot that is immediately in front of you - there is nothing you can do about what just happened and what's going to happen.

John.........Thank you for putting on this forum & especially for putting it through Golf WRX which in my humble opinion is the finest golf website in the industry !

My close personal friend ( Mark Craig ) has the athletic ability & the technical skills to shoot in the low 80's & high 70's when he can get out of his own way. If he starts the round with a double bogey ( frequently ) he just gets so despondent that the rest of his day is ruined. How can you suggest to him ( as I have many, many times ) that golf for better players is a process not necessarily associated with score focus.....when I play well, I'm focused on the planning of a shot, the execution of the shot itself, the outcome of the shot itself & how that little process makes me feel. As an aging golfer ( 60 ) who had professional skills when I was 20 my game has diminished to a 5hdcp. due to life long injuries, surgeries, pains.....the norm. All I have today is the ability to hit specific shots that are beyond the capabilities of most that I play with.....I relish those shots & the ability to hit them when I can. Scoring, on days when I am controlling the ball, is inconsequential......ball control matters. It's why I get depressed shooting 73 when I scrape the ball around the course in an ugly fashion to the amazement of my playing partners.....it kind of sucks. What can you explain to my friend Mark Craig that will help him get out of his own way, as I have been unable to get through to him in a positive manner for the last 6yrs.? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated John.

Respectfully,

Respectfully,

Thanks so much Mike – agree that GolfWRX is a great service for golfers! Mark really needs to enjoy his golf – life is short.

For much of my professional golf career I was miserable (unfortunately)! I really failed to realize the simple fact that when athletes enjoy themselves, they play better and achieve more. My problem was I put so much emphasis on achievement – and when I didn’t quite meet the standards I set for myself – I was not happy. Many golfers are really up and down depending on the outcomes. Please have Mark read the article I wrote on WRX – The Secret to Golf Happiness? Put enjoyment before achievement.

Mark does need to make enjoyment a priority (ahead of the achievement) – if he doesn’t play well, he is unhappy and it is a game and not work!

For Mark –some self-awareness work would help (around emotion) and some focus work – staying in the moment of each shot and letting go of the feelings from completed efforts.

Sounds like you have given him some great advice – but he has to make the jump and decide he’s going to enjoy the game notwithstanding scores in the beginning, middle or end of rounds.

Also - It’s awesome you can shoot 73 scraping it around. Remember, in order to shoot 73, you have to hit a lot of very good golf shots.

greetings john!

we often hear about managing our misses, playing smart and using the percentages to give ourselves a chance to succeed. however, at some point, there often comes a time in the round/match/competition when it's all or nothing, and there's a distinct line between success and failure.

- what's the best way to clear our minds or calm ourselves in the moment when we absolutely have to go for it?

- how do we rebuild confidence if we've suffered a few consecutive defeats in a row?

thank you.

greetings john!

thank you.

Hey Eagle 97 – thanks so much for the question – hope you are doing well!

As mentioned previously – we have a saying with our athletes (pro or amateur) that there’s really no such thing as a big moment – there’s just another moment. Same thing in golf, no matter how much emphasis or importance you choose to put on a shot, it is just another shot and each shot you hit in a round has the same value and importance. That’s why, again, staying in the moment and executing according to game plan can level the bumps and create consistency. When players start thinking ahead, putting importance on specific shots, anxiety increases and performance can shrink.

Also – in consideration of the shots you are playing, important to make sure the shot is one that is within your capabilities. Golfers are notorious for attempting shots they have never practiced and that are beyond their capabilities – and then they allow this poor decision to impact their results and sometimes their enjoyment of the day.

Also – confidence is built over time – you build it from all of the great successes you’ve had, the practice you’ve done, the instruction you’ve received and any achievements in the game. It’s your foundation of confidence that should be like a thick wall. Golf (and all sport) goes in cycles – some great stretches and some not so great stretches. Important to just play through the not so great stretches – with practice and a great process, it always turns around. Very important that golfers are proactive with their confidence and not reactive (reacting to small dips and choosing to shrink their confidence). When you tell yourself you’re losing your confidence, no doubt you’ll probably believe it! We have so many pro athletes that dip in performance sometime during the season and declare that they have lost their confidence. The message is to keep working as hard as possible (even harder) and if they are positive and have a great attitude, the cycle shifts and they are back on top of their game soon enough.

I've been playing competitively for a while but have never been able to fully take advantage of my skill level. I've seen friends win tournaments and dominate competition with far less skill or talent than I have, and I've always wondered how to translate my game to tournament play. I was always able to compete at high levels in other sports no matter the scenario and I don't find that feeling translating to golf. Talking with a few college golfers, their take was that they started to win when they knew that they had every shot they needed and could just go out and play.

My question is, how do I take my driving range and casual round talent and translate it into tournament success?

Taylormade M1 440, Fujikura Atmos TS Black 70 TX Tipped 1.75"
Taylormade M2 Tour T3 12*, Atmos TS Black 80TX Tipped 1.75"
Taylormade P7-TW 3-PW, DG TI X100
Vokey SM7 56.14F / 60.12D, DG S400
Byron Morgan 615

I've been playing competitively for a while but have never been able to fully take advantage of my skill level. I've seen friends win tournaments and dominate competition with far less skill or talent than I have, and I've always wondered how to translate my game to tournament play. I was always able to compete at high levels in other sports no matter the scenario and I don't find that feeling translating to golf. Talking with a few college golfers, their take was that they started to win when they knew that they had every shot they needed and could just go out and play.

My question is, how do I take my driving range and casual round talent and translate it into tournament success?

Hi PCH - thanks for your question - sounds like you have some abilities!

This is something I see all of the time - athletes with talent - physically gifted and a feel for the sport - but they struggle to be consistent or get to where they want to go.

In my business, I see the most talented athletes in the world - when athletes reach professional sports - everyone is talented and everyone is the best from where they come from. Unfortunately, as athletes climb levels, talent is never close to being enough. Effort and attitude take over and they become the separators. I have seen the best in the world in sports leagues - and it's interesting how the best players are also the hardest workers and have great attitudes. I have seen Sydney Crosby and Steph Curry both practice - and they were the hardest working players in the practices I watched. Are they talented? Yes! But, they take advantage of their talent through a big work ethic and attention to detail in their sports. Most great athletes are known for their practice intensity and work ethic. Tiger Woods is a great example through his career.

For you - don't allow your talent to restrict you. Put it to work - and take advantage of it. I see so many young, talented athletes allow their talent to get in the way of achievement. Work in all areas of golf - technical, physical, emotional, mental.

As President Calvin Coolidge once said, "nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent."

Good luck to you and get to work!!!

Hey Everyone,

Looking forward to any question you might have today. You also might enjoy the responses to the questions above. You might find something that might help you in the responses.

For making an effort to be here today and joining the forum, if you are interested in continuing your education in building mental/emotional muscles in the game, I'll make our convenient, affordable online program "Be World-Class" available to you at 50% off. The program retails for $389 CAN$. As the program is offered in CAN$, and if you are using US$, the currency exchange will give you another 25% off. Email [email protected] for a special forum promotional link and my team will email to you. It is a 12 week/12 module program on the fundamentals of mental/emotional high performance - athletemind.johnhaime.com. I will make this offer available for one week - ending Wednesday, March 1 at 1:00 p.m.

Let's get started with your questions ...

John

Hey Everyone,

Looking forward to any question you might have today. You also might enjoy the responses to the questions above. You might find something that might help you in the responses.

For making an effort to be here today and joining the forum, if you are interested in continuing your education in building mental/emotional muscles in the game, I'll make our convenient, affordable online program "Be World-Class" available to you at 50% off. The program retails for $389 CAN$. As the program is offered in CAN$, and if you are using US$, the currency exchange will give you another 25% off. Email [email protected] for a special forum promotional link and my team will email to you. It is a 12 week/12 module program on the fundamentals of mental/emotional high performance - athletemind.johnhaime.com. I will make this offer available for one week - ending Wednesday, March 1 at 1:00 p.m.

John

John,

I'm always struggled with a troublesome shot in tournament play: a block to the right. I worked with a coach who recommended monitoring grip pressure throughout the swing, and another who recommended changing the way I release the club. Both approaches have worked under the gun, but obviously I can't do them both at the same time.

My question is, are there any tell-tale signs that golfers should be working more on mechanics or more on their mental game?

Thanks!

Hey Everyone,

John

John,

I'm always struggled with a troublesome shot in tournament play: a block to the right. I worked with a coach who recommended monitoring grip pressure throughout the swing, and another who recommended changing the way I release the club. Both approaches have worked under the gun, but obviously I can't do them both at the same time.

My question is, are there any tell-tale signs that golfers should be working more on mechanics or more on their mental game?

Thanks!

Hi Zak - thanks for the great question! I think one most players can relate to.

The simple answer is that in order to be a better player - it's a great idea to work on all areas. Many athletes don't know how to work on the mental/emotional stuff - there is a belief that it will just develop as the technical and physical pieces develop. There is so much a player can do work on the mental/emotional piece - so it will be a sustainable piece of their performance arsenal - self-awareness, purpose and values, understanding and building confidence, building focus muscles, building resilience and grit, having a great golf plan and then there's tools like imagery that can really help.

Great mechanics can support and build confidence. "Knowing" you can do it in a practice environment is a great start to bring it to a competitive environment.

The pieces of performance - technical, physical, strategic, mental, emotional are all so connected - so work on them all is helpful.

John, thanks for your time. In an earlier item, you mention that athletes with talent that work hard turn into the superior performers. For an aspiring pga tour player that is great advice.

Unfortunately, most of us are not in that situation. It is likely we have jobs, families, and other responsibilities that demand large amounts of our time. If can find an hour every other day to practice, that is a luxury. We don't have the opportunity to work harder, we must somehow work smarter. Considering that we have a limited amount of time to practice and prepare, do you have recommendations and/or suggestions on how and where we should focus our practice?

John,

Thank you for taking time to answer questions! I have played golf for over 20 years. I still play in state amateur events. However much I like to compete I feel nerves always prevent me from reaching that next level. I step up to the ball and almost feel this numbness through my body and at times almost feel like I can't control by swing because I have no feel. I've tried to read/listen to mental books and tapes. Or remind myself I've played well in competitive rounds. But still it happens every time. How can I curb this anxiety/numbness feeling?

Thanks!!

John, thanks for your time. In an earlier item, you mention that athletes with talent that work hard turn into the superior performers. For an aspiring pga tour player that is great advice.

Unfortunately, most of us are not in that situation. It is likely we have jobs, families, and other responsibilities that demand large amounts of our time. If can find an hour every other day to practice, that is a luxury. We don't have the opportunity to work harder, we must somehow work smarter. Considering that we have a limited amount of time to practice and prepare, do you have recommendations and/or suggestions on how and where we should focus our practice?

Thanks Steve - really good question! You are right about the PGA Tour player and the average player. It is critical though that young players do not get caught up in talent - seen it so much.

FYI - I see so many athletes waste so much time in their pursuit of improvement. Plan your time carefully. Decide exactly what needs work (self-awareness) - a nice evaluation of your strengths and limits can really help - seems simple and obvious but many don't do it. Finally, golf is about scoring - so if time is limited, the majority of time should be spent developing competency close to the green. Another thing that seems obvious but players do not do. Be diligent how you carve up your time and put maximum focus into every ball. Almost all players could put more intensity in their practice - there is a wide gap between practice feelings and course/competitive feelings because the player's mindset is so different when executing in each area.

Thanks again for the question.

John,

Thank you for taking time to answer questions! I have played golf for over 20 years. I still play in state amateur events. However much I like to compete I feel nerves always prevent me from reaching that next level. I step up to the ball and almost feel this numbness through my body and at times almost feel like I can't control by swing because I have no feel. I've tried to read/listen to mental books and tapes. Or remind myself I've played well in competitive rounds. But still it happens every time. How can I curb this anxiety/numbness feeling?

Thanks!!

Hey Golfer912 - thanks so much for this question - applies to alot of players.

Funny - before coming in the forum, I was working on this with a world-class athlete - not golf - but same principles.

This question has many avenues - could be many factors but here's some ideas ...

1. Preparation - like I mentioned above - sometimes the feelings are so different on the practice tee and golf course/competition that golfers really struggles with the feelings when they arrive on the first tee. The feelings must be connected. I always recommend more intensity on the practice tee - where after a short warm-up - the player hits shots and goes through the "course" routine. Create boundaries for each shot and meaning in each shot. This prepares the player for the course where the boundaries and penalties really exist!

2. Focusing on the outcome - fear is often created by the "what ifs". We project into the future into what might happen. Funny thing is it almost never does. That's why we work so diligently on keeping players in the moment (and enjoying that moment) and focusing on their process of hitting the shot. There is nothing they can do about the outcome - so there is no emphasis on it.

3. Breathing and Mindfulness - we also spend time on mindfulness practices - to help athletes stay in the moment but also relax them. It's surprising how important breathing is. For you - take a few deep breaths, bring yourself back to a calm centre point and then get into your routine.

Finally, keep things in perspective. You play golf because you love it and it's fun. Always put enjoyment before achievement - putting achievement first leads to complicated feelings and the potential of not enjoying the sport. If you enjoy something, often you'll do well at it.

Hope this helps to get things started!