2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Camera for video anaylsis

FHal11

Hey SpeedyPro, they've given it a name (or at least developed a commercial version similar to it) and it should be hitting the shelves soon. It is the EX-F1. You can view the specs here.

http://www.casio.com/products/Cameras/Exilim_Pro/EX-F1/

http://exilim.casio.com/browse_cameras/exilim_pro/EX-F1/

Check out a sample video.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/06/casios-...in-superslowmo/

Looks like it will retail for $999 although I'd hope to see it go for less than that when it hits store shelves.

Mmm.... 1200fps....

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh you guys beat me to it.

Some good examples made by the camera, the last one is actually a golf shot!

http://www.exilim.com/intl/ex_f1/features2.html

Waiting for this guy to come.

Casio Highspeed digital camera

Hey SpeedyPro, they've given it a name (or at least developed a commercial version similar to it) and it should be hitting the shelves soon. It is the EX-F1. You can view the specs here.

Looks like it will retail for $999 although I'd hope to see it go for less than that when it hits store shelves.

Mmm.... 1200fps....

Anyone have experience with a Sony DCR-HC96? Borrowed one from work and the shutter speed is 1/4-1/4000 (AE Mode), but its not manually adjustable. How do i make sure its shooting at 4000? I cant seem to find anything in the instrutions or online. If you go to the V1 golf site they recommend the Sony DCR-HC38 which is cheaper and has the same maximum shutter of 4000 and is also not manually adjustable.

Anyone have experience with a Sony DCR-HC96? Borrowed one from work and the shutter speed is 1/4-1/4000 (AE Mode), but its not manually adjustable. How do i make sure its shooting at 4000? I cant seem to find anything in the instrutions or online. If you go to the V1 golf site they recommend the Sony DCR-HC38 which is cheaper and has the same maximum shutter of 4000 and is also not manually adjustable.

Do you have the owner's manual?

If not, you can download a PDF of it here: http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/158/158DCRHC96.PDF

Mmm.... 1200fps....

Looks like Samsung is coming out with a camcorder in May that uses the same CMOS sensor as the Casio camera:

http://www.samsung.com/us/news/newsRead.do...search_keyword=

I'll be all over that one!!!

Since the CMOS is made by Sony, I imagine they'll be coming out with some camcorders soon that use it as well!

• 3 months later...

So, the Sony HDR-SR11 and 12 are now out (both High Def with 240 FPS modes, x 10 seconds), and the Samsung HMX20C should be out this month, if not already (300 FPS). If anybody has taken the plunge with either, or has swing samples with them, please post. I am thinking about getting one or the other soon. Even if nobody has one yet, I thought this topic should be opened back up.

Cheers,

Noah

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all I found this one: Canon Vixia HV30

http://www.vimeo.com/973455

Do you think it is good for golf? Has it:

1. Manual shutter speed. Some cameras have "sports" mode, but I recommend one that you can actually specify the mode. I can go up to 1/2000 on my Canon. I have the Canon Optura 20. Not sure if they still make this.

2. Firewire output. USB can drop frames when dumping to the computer

3. A larger LCD screen. Most cameras only have a 2.5" screen. My canon has a 3.5". Great for on site review of your swing without a laptop.

4. Slow motion/frame advance on the camera itself. Again, for on-site review

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking at getting a recording device soon. What I'm getting from this thread, at least as of mid/late 2007, is that I want:

1. MiniDV

2. High shutter speeds available

3. More than 30 fps if I can get it

4. Firewire transfer

Is that about it? Do you guys have any newer recommendations for actual camcorders/cameras?

I need input soon as I'd like to buy tonight if I can. Thanks!

Hi all I found this one: Canon Vixia HV30

http://www.vimeo.com/973455

Do you think it is good for golf? Has it:

1. Manual shutter speed. Some cameras have "sports" mode, but I recommend one that you can actually specify the mode. I can go up to 1/2000 on my Canon. I have the Canon Optura 20. Not sure if they still make this.

2. Firewire output. USB can drop frames when dumping to the computer

3. A larger LCD screen. Most cameras only have a 2.5" screen. My canon has a 3.5". Great for on site review of your swing without a laptop.

4. Slow motion/frame advance on the camera itself. Again, for on-site review

I just got back from buying that one. Will review it sometime soon.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hey Guys,

thanks for everyones recomendations, im trying to find a camera that will be able to stop the club head on the down swing like everyone eles but the problem is i teach at a indoor golf simulation area!!! anyone have any recommendation on lighting, bay back grounds and required shutter speeds????

have been looking at the panasonic 3CCD cameras that can go up to 1/8000 shutter speed, that should get it????

cheer

matt from NZ

hey Guys,

thanks for everyones recomendations, im trying to find a camera that will be able to stop the club head on the down swing like everyone eles but the problem is i teach at a indoor golf simulation area!!! anyone have any recommendation on lighting, bay back grounds and required shutter speeds????

have been looking at the panasonic 3CCD cameras that can go up to 1/8000 shutter speed, that should get it????

cheer

matt from NZ

If you're going to use a shutter speed of 1/8000 you need really good lighting. As you speed up the shutter the light requirements go up. You can see that by looking at the LCD as you set a higher speed. I like the Panasonic cameras.

Thanks,

is it fine to use false lighting, such as a flood light etc to light up my coaching bay??? as its an indoor area??? do you think that the colour of the bay makes a difference at all??? if it was white would that help??

im tending to head towards the panasonic cameras i think, and using GASP systems coaching softwear

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

This was a great thread and would love to see any reviews or pics from any new buyers. There were some good camera releases in mid 08, can anyone talk to the Casio or panasonics or any other new release and if possible post some pics.

Would be helpful if anyone can speak to how these perform indoors and to what degree you had to light the place up.

Thanks again

I bought the Casio Ex-F1 (60 photos in a sec and max 1200 fps video). To be honest, I was a bit disappointed with the quality of the videos and photos. For recording swings the 300 fps mode is the best mode. With 600 and 1200 fps you just need very much light and the resolution is really bad.

The camera is nice as a gadget, but not for serious photographing or shooting videos (not even in HD). It is fine for recording and analyzing your swing, but do not expect crisp video and photos. The is a lot of noise in the photos too. I would wait for something better if I had the choice again :rolleyes:

I also got Casio Ex-F1 as I mentioned long time ago. As Sjors said, there is a lot to be improved for image quality, but I actually didn't expected much because I knew even 300 fps for consumer product is already a bargain at that price. Look for other professional or research high speed camera, they are expensive.

So I am very happy with EX-F1. It is really good for analyzing golf swings. And its normal photo quality is not too bad. I am an amateur photographer with 6 different digital SLRs and tons of lenses not to mention bunch of film cameras ranging from Rolleis to Leicas, but EX-F1 always is with me when I go out for some shooting.

SpeedyPro, I agree with you. But I think the market will be flooded with camera's like the Casio EX-F1 in the near future. In my opinion it's better to wait if you demand high-speed video in high(er) resolution. If you just want to see your swing in 300 fps en do not care for top of the bill videoquality the Casio is really a great camera for a very very fair price.

btw: I'm guessing you're hooked on them too :rolleyes: watches I mean..

http://members.home.nl/s.vanaalst/speedmaster.jpg

SpeedyPro, I agree with you. But I think the market will be flooded with camera's like the Casio EX-F1 in the near future. In my opinion it's better to wait if you demand high-speed video in high(er) resolution. If you just want to see your swing in 300 fps en do not care for top of the bill videoquality the Casio is really a great camera for a very very fair price.

btw: I'm guessing you're hooked on them too :rolleyes: watches I mean..

http://members.home.nl/s.vanaalst/speedmaster.jpg

Yeah, I got some speedies... :beee:

Good to see someone shares similar hobbies other than golf!

If its any help to anyone I recently purchased a samsung sc-D382 mini dv. I purchased just for teaching and filming the golf swing. I got it for $179. For the money I am extrememy happy. You can manually adjust the fps up to 10,000 fps which is an excellent feature. It also comes with a remote control. For those of you filming your own swing it will come in very handy. Integrating with my pc and laptop was as simple as plugging in the fire wire. I did not have to download any drivers or extra software. I have heard the samsung will not interface with mac products but not for sure. The only drawback is that the higher the fps the more light you need. I have only used it outside in the Texas Sun and have no problems with the high fps. However i do suspect that indoors or on an overcast day it may cause the picture to be a bit dark but picture quality is not my main concern so this cam works very well for me.

If its any help to anyone I recently purchased a samsung sc-D382 mini dv. I purchased just for teaching and filming the golf swing. I got it for $179. For the money I am extrememy happy. You can manually adjust the fps up to 10,000 fps which is an excellent feature. It also comes with a remote control. For those of you filming your own swing it will come in very handy. Integrating with my pc and laptop was as simple as plugging in the fire wire. I did not have to download any drivers or extra software. I have heard the samsung will not interface with mac products but not for sure. The only drawback is that the higher the fps the more light you need. I have only used it outside in the Texas Sun and have no problems with the high fps. However i do suspect that indoors or on an overcast day it may cause the picture to be a bit dark but picture quality is not my main concern so this cam works very well for me.

I'll bet you mean 10,000 shutter speed, not fps. If that puppy could do that fps we'd have a winner for sure. :=) I'm glad it's working for you and thanks for the information.

Do you mean the shutter speed is 1/10,000 second? For that price I'm sure it's 30 fps. Can't find very detailed specs on this camera. Seems pretty decent for the price.

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/..._cd=SC-D382/XAA

yes, 1/10,000 fps. You can manually adjust through 5 or 6 shutter speeds. I believe it goes 30, 200, 400, 8000, 1000, 2000, 10000 fps. I couldn't find any specs either, but my GM's brother works for samsung and recomended it too me. Even when I purchased it the salesman told it would not go that high, but when we onpened up the manual there it was.

If you want i could post some video shot with it at 10,000

Just let me know

I purchased a canon HF series HD camera and I had it working but now I have problems getting the video to display correctly in my software cswing. I got good video but the software seems to be the limitation right now.

Titleist TSr3 8* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6
Titleist TSr3 15* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 7
Sonartec MD 19* Fujikura Banzai
MacGregor Pro-M 4-P S300
MacGregor MT-Pro 52.6*, 56.12*, 58.10 bent to 59*
Scotty Cameron California Series Del Mar