2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Camera for video anaylsis

FHal11

I purchased a canon HF series HD camera and I had it working but now I have problems getting the video to display correctly in my software cswing. I got good video but the software seems to be the limitation right now.

I would be very interested in learning if you get this sorted out. I believe the HD cameras will do 60fps and was wondering how it worked with CSWING and/or V1. Let us know if you get it set up or can provide any pics.

Thanks for the input!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, 1/10,000 fps. You can manually adjust through 5 or 6 shutter speeds. I believe it goes 30, 200, 400, 8000, 1000, 2000, 10000 fps. I couldn't find any specs either, but my GM's brother works for samsung and recomended it too me. Even when I purchased it the salesman told it would not go that high, but when we onpened up the manual there it was.

If you want i could post some video shot with it at 10,000

Just let me know

I'm sorry, but according to the manual, we're talking shutter speed, not frames/second. There's no such thing as "1/10,000 fps".

The shutter speed for this model can go from 1/60 to 1/10000, with 6 more setting in between. Very typical for a consumer camcorder. Shutter speed is the time at which the apeture is open, thus allowing light to enter. With digital camcorders, this is done electronically, and the shutter doesn't actually open and close. The faster the shutter speed, the less blurry fast motion objects will appear. However you need more ambient light because not as much light enters the lens during this time.

It is a standard NTSC camcorder at 30 FPS.

• 3 months later...

I have been using a samsung hmx-20 for about 6 months and am really impressed with it. It's a european pal model so records at 25fps at 1080p - (p for progressive) or 50fps at 1080i - (i for interlaced) . Progressive is really important for recording otherwise the playback is so jerky. I have found both of these above settings poor for analyzing the golf swing as there is too much break up/ interlacing on playback. The best playback on this camera is 576p at 50fps - I can adjust the shutter speed from 1/50 up to 1/10,000 sec ( 1/50,1/120,1/250, 1/500,1/1000,1/2000,1/4000 and 1/10,000 . In practice, except for the fastest clubhead speeds - 115mph+ - 1/2000 is enough to be able to clearly see the club and head throughout the swing and is smooth during normal playback. It has a bright 1.8 lensr which is very light so recorded swings are not grainy when using high shutter speeds. Optimal would be 720p at 60fps with adjustable manual shutter speed but haven't found this camera yet in a consumer model.

The problem with the hd camcorders, including the high speed casio is that none of them work with swing capture using analysis software. I have tried cswing, v1, swingview pro and have been in contact with vertexgolf and none of them can capture swings via usb cable - they need firewire. I will keep the samsung for using on the golf course as it is very fast to view swings from sd card or 8gb internal storage, and the lcd screen is very clear. I will purchase a minidv camcorder to work with analysis software - probably a panasonic or samsung as they both allow manual control of shutter speed up to 1/8000 with the panny and again 1/10,000 with the samsung.

hope this is not too long winded and helps in the search... :rolleyes:

quick update: have just found perhaps the perfect camera - http://www.twice.com/article/CA6631305.html

shutter speed not stated, but previous sanyo 1010 model had manual speeds upto 1/10,000 so would assume these 2 will too.

• 2 months later...
Contenders coming along to the Casio... i like the looks of this at 600 fps:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/03/03/jvcs-...gapixel-stills/

The Casio is a digital camera and that is a camcorder. Also, the Casio FC-100 is $350 and that will be $1,000.

The 600fps on that has a 72 pixel vertical height (Casio's 1000fps is 64 pixels high). Both are borderline useless.

Larrybud,

What model of Canon fo you recommend?

I'm not up to speed on the Canons, but the model I have is the Optura 20, which is about 5 years old. The reasons I chose this camera at the time over the others:

Manual shutter speed up to 1/8000th of a second

Manual focus

3.5" LCD.

The last is the biggest thing because I didn't have a laptop when I bought this. 3.5" is very usable when playing back at the range. Turned out it also had a pretty cool feature in that you could send analog video through it and convert it right to digital through the firewire, so if you ever needed to convert analog video, this will do it.

I just ordered yesterday the Casio EX-FH20 which is combo machine: Still photos, Standard video, HD video, slo motion video.

mmm... Advantages of a camera over a camcorder... I'd say that you'll get more out of a camcorder but then again i can see the camera being just as useful... I have a olympia that can do both works fine... I usually use the video... I can do a frame by frame viewing which is pretty nice...also i can slow it down... regardless the quality of your camera isn't a substitute for the quality of your swing. :lol:

mmm... Advantages of a camera over a camcorder... I'd say that you'll get more out of a camcorder but then again i can see the camera being just as useful... I have an olympia that can do both works fine... I usually use the video... I can do a frame by frame viewing which is pretty nice...also i can slow it down... regardless the quality of your camera isn't a substitute for the quality of your swing. :lol:

• 1 year later...

Are there any other [b]SPECIFIC [/b]camera/model recommendations?

I bought a JVC Everio HD-320, and it's a P.O.S. :diablo: the price is right (<$300), and I love the super-slick user interface with the touch bar, but the video quality is absolutely awful.

I use Leadbetter Interactive, and i can't see squat, blurry club/clubhead, the software is not intuitive, it doesn't download to .avi format, and the overall quality is total ****.

Please post some recommendations, this is becoming extremely frustrating.