2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Some Things Wisconsin Golf

Phreddy

Played Fire Ridge on Saturday, course was in fantastic condition (aside from the bunkers) and the greens were quick

I really like the re-routing

WITB

Ping G430 10K 10.5º w/ Diamana 

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Driving Iron: Srixon U85 w/ Recoil

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

36 minutes ago, ode said:

What does that entail?

They flipped the 9s... so the old 1 is now 10

Opening hole is the old 15, the old 10 is now 5

15 is 1

16 is 2

17 is 3

18 is 4

10 is 5

etc..

• Thanks 1

WITB

20 hours ago, Pepetito said:

What resort golf do you collectively feel is better?

Grand Geneva (with Hawks View added in) or the three at Geneva National.

It's been many years since I have played Hawks View, they had only been open a few years last time I was there and the other courses at Geneva National it's been over 10 years for sure.   I am sure others have some more recent opinions and know what type of shape the other courses are in.  I'd say either would be a solid choice.   Geneva National is kind of out there on its own so maybe a slightly different feel.   

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

1 hour ago, TBone0576 said:

It's been many years since I have played Hawks View, they had only been open a few years last time I was there and the other courses at Geneva National it's been over 10 years for sure.   I am sure others have some more recent opinions and know what type of shape the other courses are in.  I'd say either would be a solid choice.   Geneva National is kind of out there on its own so maybe a slightly different feel.   

I have both trips (Michigander here) on our annual buddies trip list for the future.  Just curious as to which threesome most local think is "better".

1: Geneva National

2. Grand Geneva + Hawks View

29 minutes ago, nalaws2 said:

I found Hawks View to be an extremely average course.  Not worth the trip.  Geneva National is great.

Well the trip wouldnt be just Hawks view.  It would be one course on the way, the two Grand Geneva courses and then Hawks view.......as compared to the three tracks at Geneva National.

• 2 weeks later...

7am tee time tomorrow at Brighton Dale.   They go to 8am next weekend.   Should be in the 40s, just keeping fingers crossed for no frost.  Usually have my clubs put away for the year but I have 57 rounds in for the year and my goal was 65.    Have a trip scheduled at the end of the month to play 3x with a buddy who just moved to Louisville so I should at least eclipse 60 which isn't too bad I suppose.   Rejoined the fitness club this week with the goal of knocking off a chunk of weight, getting stronger and regaining flexibility.  I know how it has turned out in the past so really hoping to stick with it this time.  

• Like 4

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

On 10/6/2023 at 6:59 AM, TBone0576 said:

Brighton Dale

Played Spring Valley CC and BDL White Birch on Monday.  I guess you guys have had quite a bit of rain recently.  Course was in primo condition and a fun play.  Other than the holes by the road, there is a fair bit of elevation change and twists and turns to make it interesting.  Ended.with a chip in bird on 18! Rates are super this time of year.  You guys are lucky to have that place.  Now that I e played the Blue Spruce and White Birch I would assume the BS is the harder of the two🤔

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ode said:

Played Spring Valley CC and BDL White Birch on Monday.  I guess you guys have had quite a bit of rain recently.  Course was in primo condition and a fun play.  Other than the holes by the road, there is a fair bit of elevation change and twists and turns to make it interesting.  Ended.with a chip in bird on 18! Rates are super this time of year.  You guys are lucky to have that place.  Now that I e played the Blue Spruce and White Birch I would assume the BS is the harder of the two🤔

Glad you enjoyed it.  I rarely get tired of playing the Blue and White each weekend.   There is always a hole or two that can jump up and bite you if you aren't careful.  The rough has been brutal at times this year when they can't get out to mow it.   There is a fair amount of elevation change for a relatively flat part of the state.  I'd say the biggest issues are the inconsistent bunkers.  Some have sand and others do not.   If you ask me I believe that the White Birch is the harder of the two.  A bit longer than Blue and the par 3's are all tough from the back tee boxes.   Number 5 is probably one of the tougher holes in SE Wisconsin, slight dogleg through the trees and then up the hill to the green.  If your drive isn't in the fairway you have very little chance of getting on the green there.   Blue has a tough stretch on the front between 3 and 6 where you need to keep your ball in play but it opens up a bit after that.   

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

1 hour ago, TBone0576 said:

Glad you enjoyed it.  I rarely get tired of playing the Blue and White each weekend.   There is always a hole or two that can jump up and bite you if you aren't careful.  The rough has been brutal at times this year when they can't get out to mow it.   There is a fair amount of elevation change for a relatively flat part of the state.  I'd say the biggest issues are the inconsistent bunkers.  Some have sand and others do not.   If you ask me I believe that the White Birch is the harder of the two.  A bit longer than Blue and the par 3's are all tough from the back tee boxes.   Number 5 is probably one of the tougher holes in SE Wisconsin, slight dogleg through the trees and then up the hill to the green.  If your drive isn't in the fairway you have very little chance of getting on the green there.   Blue has a tough stretch on the front between 3 and 6 where you need to keep your ball in play but it opens up a bit after that.   

The rough was lush!  I think #5 is the one that sweeps left to right and back up the hill.  The single I paired up with and I both sailed our drives to the right.  Go in the junk there and it's unplayable.  I was lucky enough to punch up short of the green and get up and down for a bogey.  We played the orange which I think was ~6700.  I typically play ~6400 but the blues was ~5900.  The plan was to mix in a few blues but the orange was manageable a d that is what the single was playing.  The par 3,s felt excessively long🤔.

22 hours ago, ode said:

The rough was lush!  I think #5 is the one that sweeps left to right and back up the hill.  The single I paired up with and I both sailed our drives to the right.  Go in the junk there and it's unplayable.  I was lucky enough to punch up short of the green and get up and down for a bogey.  We played the orange which I think was ~6700.  I typically play ~6400 but the blues was ~5900.  The plan was to mix in a few blues but the orange was manageable a d that is what the single was playing.  The par 3,s felt excessively long🤔.

I play the back tees and the par 3's on the white are 190, 215, 235, and 185 or so.   They are pretty tough.    You are correct on the par 4 I was referencing.  

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Was invited to play the lido tomorrow, super excited, will report after playing it.

• Like 4

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

Extremely impressive (obvious I know) with what they’ve done at the lido. Extremely unique lay out with the amount of blind shots. Some of the firmest turf/conditions I’ve ever played. As playable as sand valley or mammoth advertises to be this is not for the faint of heart. Favorite moment was blasting a tee shot right on the punch bowl 12th, ended up slightly submerged in the hazard and was able to hit it on the green from 130 and escape with par. Played against two candidates, one of them was -5 thru 9 and ended up shooting 67 which were a blast. If anyone is looking to have them caddy when visiting let me know. Also the other guy I was playing with got his first ace on 14, the short, which was awesome. 

Edited by collje26
Added
  • Like 4

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

That sounds awesome, would love to have a shot at Lido someday.  

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Played a late afternoon round at BWR Meadow Valleys and it didn't disappoint... Even after a couple of inches of rain on Friday and Saturday morning, the course was dry... greens were quick, course was in incredible shape

And got to see some salmon swimming in both the creek and the river

• Like 2

WITB

20 hours ago, jwhite86 said:

Played a late afternoon round at BWR Meadow Valleys and it didn't disappoint... Even after a couple of inches of rain on Friday and Saturday morning, the course was dry... greens were quick, course was in incredible shape

Sweet.  Yes up in these parts (I live just north of WS and BWR) we've gotten less than 6" total rain prior to the recent storm that rolled through.  My home course does not drain well and it took the totals well and we.could use more.  Fabulous back 9 at MV.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 11:39 AM, jwhite86 said:

Do you mind sharing what you paid for greens fees.  I was looking at the fall golf maybe 3 weeks ago and was a little surprised at how much they were still charging.  I know it is still in very nice condition, just rolling the dice with weather if you book more than a few days in advance. 

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

12 minutes ago, TBone0576 said:

Do you mind sharing what you paid for greens fees.  I was looking at the fall golf maybe 3 weeks ago and was a little surprised at how much they were still charging.  I know it is still in very nice condition, just rolling the dice with weather if you book more than a few days in advance. 

I paid 175.. It was a 1:40 tee time and we finished just before dark because of a college tournament we ended up getting stuck behind for the last 5 or 6 holes

• Like 1

WITB

Wrapped up my Wisconsin golf season on Saturday.   Was able to play 57 times in the area this year.   Was shooting for 60 but close enough.   Got 54 rounds in at my home course and had one the best seasons of my life.  Not sure if they were the new T100 irons that I finally figured out halfway through or just playing a bit more conservatively off the tee to find more fairways.  Best of luck to you guys still sticking it out for a few weeks.   I am travelling to visit a buddy in Louisville this week.  Have 36 holes planned Thursday and Friday, then putting the clubs away until 2024.    

• Like 2

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Played Lawsonia Links yesterday.  Beautiful 50* day and a nice casual walk.  Course was in solid condition! All is right with the world again🙃

Currently waiting out the rain at Lake Arrowhead.  Plan is 18 at Pines this morning and head up to play Bullseye after.  🤞....this 🌧️ funnels through soon!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ode said:

Played Lawsonia Links yesterday.  Beautiful 50* day and a nice casual walk.  Course was in solid condition! All is right with the world again🙃

Currently waiting out the rain at Lake Arrowhead.  Plan is 18 at Pines this morning and head up to play Bullseye after.  🤞....this 🌧️ funnels through soon!

They're finally getting the front 9 bunkers underway. Hopefully we can finally enjoy lawsonia links with good bunkers next year.

• Like 1

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

1 hour ago, collje26 said:

They're finally getting the front 9 bunkers underway. Hopefully we can finally enjoy lawsonia links with good bunkers next year.

I saw that......most /more than half on the front dug out🤔.  Nice improvement on the back with the reno'd ones.  I hope the sod takes in the areas that need it.  Love that place and those greens are so good.  High shot value on approach.

About a month ago my buddy and I went up to the UP and played Gladstone (front....they were punching the back due to the machine breaking a few days before after we called for our time), so we went up to Marquette a few hours early and got out on Greywalls😍....and then played the original L&M 9 on the heritage to round out the 36 holes for the day.  They are really doing a nice job reclaiming those greens......it's not quite the layout Lawsonia is but it's not far off and those greens ....whoa, so good.  #4 is my favorite hole out there followed by the drivable #6. I think 🤔.....trying to figure out the routing of the original 9 as we went 10-13, then 4-8.....🤔

Edited by ode

1 hour ago, ode said:

I saw that......most /more than half on the front dug out🤔.  Nice improvement on the back with the reno'd ones.  I hope the sod takes in the areas that need it.  Love that place and those greens are so good.  High shot value on approach.

About a month ago my buddy and I went up to the UP and played Gladstone (front....they were punching the back due to the machine breaking a few days before after we called for our time), so we went up to Marquette a few hours early and got out on Greywalls😍....and then played the original L&M 9 on the heritage to round out the 36 holes for the day.  They are really doing a nice job reclaiming those greens......it's not quite the layout Lawsonia is but it's not far off and those greens ....whoa, so good.  #4 is my favorite hole out there followed by the drivable #6. I think 🤔.....trying to figure out the routing of the original 9 as we went 10-13, then 4-8.....🤔

Yeah the heritage is great. That 9th hole at gladstone is something else to say the least. Love Greywalls now, absolutely hated it the first time playing it but as I've played it more and more I really enjoy the layout. Not sure if there's a longer cart drive to the first tee than greywalls.

• Like 1

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like we will be unable to get on Lawsonia during our trip next year due to some all day thing they have.

This is the day after playing Sand Valley and the day before Erin Hills.

So I was looking at Wild Rock as a solid alternative. Are there others I should look at in that zone between SV and EH?

I did have accommodation booked at Ripon but probably have to cjange that.

3 hours ago, Chanceman said:

Looks like we will be unable to get on Lawsonia during our trip next year due to some all day thing they have.

This is the day after playing Sand Valley and the day before Erin Hills.

So I was looking at Wild Rock as a solid alternative. Are there others I should look at in that zone between SV and EH?

I did have accommodation booked at Ripon but probably have to cjange that.

What’s the date of your trip? I can see how much room there is to wiggle on. If you’re going to be staying near Erin I’d recommend lac la Belle or Washington county. 

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

4 hours ago, collje26 said:

What’s the date of your trip? I can see how much room there is to wiggle on. If you’re going to be staying near Erin I’d recommend lac la Belle or Washington county. 

Its September 14. Fried Egg day apparently. Yes WC looks to be a good alternative. Prefer that to LLB.

17 hours ago, Chanceman said:

Its September 14. Fried Egg day apparently. Yes WC looks to be a good alternative. Prefer that to LLB.

That sucks as Lawsonia is awesome and would be basically right on the way to the next stop.  Other than picking something close/r to EH (like Wash Co or Brown Deer), U Ridge could work, but will add some driving time.

19 hours ago, Chanceman said:

You could still do the woodlands course or mascoutin. 

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

8 hours ago, ode said:

That sucks as Lawsonia is awesome and would be basically right on the way to the next stop.  Other than picking something close/r to EH (like Wash Co or Brown Deer), U Ridge could work, but will add some driving time.

6 hours ago, collje26 said:

You could still do the woodlands course or mascoutin. 

I guess it will come down to a choice between Wild Rock and Washington County. Cant play both given our schedule. What is your opinion on that?