2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Some Things Wisconsin Golf

Phreddy

On 7/10/2023 at 6:35 AM, TBone0576 said:

Been invited to play an outing at Fire Ridge in Grafton.   I've seen the signs for it but never played.   Is this one worth teeing up at?   

Yes. It’s solid. The greens are really good, as mentioned and the par 5’s are mostly scoreable. Good elevation change and you’ll use every club in your bag. Don’t go for the 10th in 2 though. There’s water in front that you can’t see. 

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

2 hours ago, fjk said:

Do you guys actually put on rain gear this time of year or wait it out? Some 20-30% chance of rain/t-storms in Sheboygan next few days.

If there isn’t going to be high winds, I’ll bring an umbrella. If it’s supposed to be windy, nah, just a rain glove. The umbrella just becomes a sail and tips over my ClickGear. I usually have extra socks in my car and I’ll pack a change of clothes if the forecast looks bad. 

• Like 1

Piretti Cottonwood II

On 7/13/2023 at 5:36 PM, fjk said:

Do you guys actually put on rain gear this time of year or wait it out? Some 20-30% chance of rain/t-storms in Sheboygan next few days.

I’ll wear a shell/rain jacket with pants in the bag that I’ll only put on if the rain is supposed to be sustained.

My shell fits me well enough that it doesn’t hamper my golf swing at all, so not an issue to wear it for me.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Played Lawsonia for the first time... The Links has immediately jumped near the top of my favorite courses list.  Great pricing, everyone was extremely friendly, and the course was fantastic.  I didn't play well, but had so much fun.

Also played the Woodlands... probably wouldn't play it again, nothing really stood out to me, it was in great shape though

• Like 2

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

1 minute ago, Phreddy said:

Idyllic midwestern summer day today.  75-80 degrees, low humidity, light breeze, and high puffy clouds.  Washington County gets kudos, but not nearly enough.  $50 for 18 with a cart (8:30 AM tee time) and perfect fairways, with true and quick greens.  Lawsonia gets the love here, and rightly so, but dollar for dollar Washington County has it beat.  I'm doing my best to be objective, but typing this on that rare day when both the driver and the putter reported for duty has me a little giddy.

Phred

I was at Washington Co for a round on Monday. I agree completely. The course is currently in phenomenal shape. It can't be beat dollar-for-dollar. And, the bunkers at Washington Co are properly groomed and not filled with rocks like at the Links course.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

17 hours ago, Phreddy said:

Idyllic midwestern summer day today.  75-80 degrees, low humidity, light breeze, and high puffy clouds.  Washington County gets kudos, but not nearly enough.  $50 for 18 with a cart (8:30 AM tee time) and perfect fairways, with true and quick greens.  Lawsonia gets the love here, and rightly so, but dollar for dollar Washington County has it beat.  I'm doing my best to be objective, but typing this on that rare day when both the driver and the putter reported for duty has me a little giddy.

Phred

I’m excited to play Washington County GC in a little over a month! Anything tricky about the course I should keep an eye on?

• Like 1

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

20 hours ago, jwhite86 said:

Played Lawsonia for the first time... The Links has immediately jumped near the top of my favorite courses list.  Great pricing, everyone was extremely friendly, and the course was fantastic.  I didn't play well, but had so much fun.

Also played the Woodlands... probably wouldn't play it again, nothing really stood out to me, it was in great shape though

nice.  You'll play better the more you play the Links.  Lots of blind shots to get used to.     And you are 100% correct about the people working there.  Never dealt with a friendlier staff at any course, let alone a USA top 100 course.

Woodlands definitely has some stand out moments.  Hole #2 and Hole #3 in particular.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shipwreck said:

I’m excited to play Washington County GC in a little over a month! Anything tricky about the course I should keep an eye on?

For the most part the course is in front of you.  You don't have to deal with blind tee shots.  #3 is a bit of a serpentine par 5 that is not completely self evident from the tee.  There are a number of holes where a laser or an educated guess on carry yardage or experience would be helpful as you attempt to determine how much trouble you wish to cut off.  That is part of the beauty of the course in that you can choose the up the fairway tee shot or the "I'm a stud" I going over the hazard and cutting off some yardage.

• Like 1

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

1 hour ago, Phreddy said:

For the most part the course is in front of you.  You don't have to deal with blind tee shots.  #3 is a bit of a serpentine par 5 that is not completely self evident from the tee.  There are a number of holes where a laser or an educated guess on carry yardage or experience would be helpful as you attempt to determine how much trouble you wish to cut off.  That is part of the beauty of the course in that you can choose the up the fairway tee shot or the "I'm a stud" I going over the hazard and cutting off some yardage.

Great course.....the only 🤔is the layup on 7.....I'd recommend everyone drive up to look at the layup area before the creek/hazard.  Other than that IMO, one good/solid hole after another!

Edited by ode
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, gvibes said:

Was in sheboygan with my family and snuck out to play 18 at the bull first thing in the morning.  Course was in immaculate shape, and seems like good value.  Not really my preferred style of golf though--very target-ey.  

Oh man The Bull is one of my favorites out there! I know what you mean though about it being someone “target-ey” especially on the back 9 though. Definitely requires a good tee shot otherwise you’re gonna be having a bad time. 

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

19 hours ago, gvibes said:

Was in sheboygan with my family and snuck out to play 18 at the bull first thing in the morning.  Course was in immaculate shape, and seems like good value.  Not really my preferred style of golf though--very target-ey.  

on that one hole did you go to the fairway on the left or the fairway on the right?   Not sure either choice is correct lol.

5 hours ago, zer0 said:

on that one hole did you go to the fairway on the left or the fairway on the right?   Not sure either choice is correct lol.

7 I think?  Went right because my cart mate hit first and went right.  Green is really shallow from the right side, seems like left should be better.  Still made my GIR and 3 putt bogey, as I am wont to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gvibes said:

7 I think?  Went right because my cart mate hit first and went right.  Green is really shallow from the right side, seems like left should be better.  Still made my GIR and 3 putt bogey, as I am wont to do.

7 is such a crazy hole and that green is not one to be trifled with. Last time I played it I hit a terrible hybrid off the tee that barely cleared the hazard but I was in the thick rough right past it. Hit my second out of it on the green but it rolled so hard right it was about 3 foot from going into the hazard. Chipped up and 2 putted. Good times. That was right after making an incredible birdie on 6 😂

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

I think you guys are referring to the par 5 #8.

My strategy is this.....if the pin is right I lay up right.  If the pin is left, I think about laying up left.  The key to going left is to get it down far enough to pitch straight at it, otherwise it's a mistake IMO as the angle sucks.  Overall it's easier to go right as it's a more straight forward layup, but it leaves a delicate 3rd.

#11 also has two fairways and if I play in early spring.or late fall and no one is around I always try to blast one right for sh1ts and giggles! If pulled off it is an easy pitch to the green.

Edited by ode
  • Like 2

On 7/21/2023 at 6:01 PM, ode said:

I think you guys are referring to the par 5 #8.

My strategy is this.....if the pin is right I lay up right.  If the pin is left, I think about laying up left.  The key to going left is to get it down far enough to pitch straight at it, otherwise it's a mistake IMO as the angle sucks.  Overall it's easier to go right as it's a more straight forward layup, but it leaves a delicate 3rd.

#11 also has two fairways and if I play in early spring.or late fall and no one is around I always try to blast one right for sh1ts and giggles! If pulled off it is an easy pitch to the green.

You are 100% correct! I have never played the left side of that hole so I completely forgot that it's a split fairway. 

• Like 1

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Less than 4 weeks away from the big trip! Anyone have any insight on the conditions (so far) for the following courses:

The Baths

Straits

Erin Hills

Washington County GC

Lawsonia (both courses)

The Bull

I know a lot can happen between now and then, just want to make sure these deliver like I know they will! 

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

2 hours ago, Shipwreck said:

Less than 4 weeks away from the big trip! Anyone have any insight on the conditions (so far) for the following courses:

The Baths

Straits

Erin Hills

Washington County GC

Lawsonia (both courses)

The Bull

I know a lot can happen between now and then, just want to make sure these deliver like I know they will! 

Washington County is in excellent shape. It gets a ton of play and some of the greens are pock marked by this late in the year, especially par 5’s and 3’s. However, they still rolled really smoothly. Not super quick but probably in the 10-10.5 range. 

• Like 1

Piretti Cottonwood II

8 minutes ago, ldchristopher said:

Washington County is in excellent shape. It gets a ton of play and some of the greens are pock marked by this late in the year, especially par 5’s and 3’s. However, they still rolled really smoothly. Not super quick but probably in the 10-10.5 range. 

……if 10-10.5 isn’t quick then good god I play on 70s shag carpet 😂

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

17 hours ago, Shipwreck said:

The Baths

Straits

Erin Hills

Washington County GC

Lawsonia (both courses)

The Bull

Lawsonia should be in prime shape with the recent rain we’ve had. It’s certainly dry on the links. 

• Like 2

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a conditions update from my trip last week.  Not sure if this is normal for summer, but Lawsonia's fairways were rough... like pretty much destroyed on a handful of holes.  They had cart arrows pointing you away from those areas but there was no sign of maintenance addressing the problem spots.  Also, the fescue was chopped down to the nubs so there was no real defense.  Pretty much bombs away until you got to the greens.  Greens were solid, but still overall disappointing and not worth the drive if you're going to Kohler.  The Bull was in great shape.  They have a great range and practice facility.  The fairways/rough were luscious and greens true.  Very happy with that course.  All the Kohler courses were fantastic.  No complaints there.  Shout out to the greens at Meadow.  They were probably my favorite greens the whole trip.  Erin Hills was a bit beat up regarding divots in popular landing areas and visible older ball marks on greens, but they were still lightning fast... like insanely fast.  Now I "get" what everyone was talking about with that course.  Glad I did it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, doglegs said:

Here is a conditions update from my trip last week.  Not sure if this is normal for summer, but Lawsonia's fairways were rough... like pretty much destroyed on a handful of holes.  They had cart arrows pointing you away from those areas but there was no sign of maintenance addressing the problem spots.  Also, the fescue was chopped down to the nubs so there was no real defense.  Pretty much bombs away until you got to the greens.  Greens were solid, but still overall disappointing and not worth the drive if you're going to Kohler.  The Bull was in great shape.  They have a great range and practice facility.  The fairways/rough were luscious and greens true.  Very happy with that course.  All the Kohler courses were fantastic.  No complaints there.  Shout out to the greens at Meadow.  They were probably my favorite greens the whole trip.  Erin Hills was a bit beat up regarding divots in popular landing areas and visible older ball marks on greens, but they were still lightning fast... like insanely fast.  Now I "get" what everyone was talking about with that course.  Glad I did it.

Was this true for both courses or just one in particular?

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

21 hours ago, doglegs said:

The night before I played the Links they chopped the fescue... Still had a blast.  

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

On 8/14/2023 at 6:53 PM, Shipwreck said:

Was this true for both courses or just one in particular?

We only played Links so I cannot speak for Woodlands.  The elevated greens are the highlight and they were in great shape, but elsewhere left much to be desired.  I can see the potential in that course but I left scratching my head on why it gets ranked so highly.  Like I said, maybe the fescue being chopped down neutered it?  Still doesn't explain the beat up fairways.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, doglegs said:

We only played Links so I cannot speak for Woodlands.  The elevated greens are the highlight and they were in great shape, but elsewhere left much to be desired.  I can see the potential in that course but I left scratching my head on why it gets ranked so highly.  Like I said, maybe the fescue being chopped down neutered it?  Still doesn't explain the beat up fairways.

This has been my experience on The Links. Greens have been nice, the rest of the course has the conditioning of a $40 muni.

Edited by TheBear95
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

1 hour ago, TheBear95 said:

This has been my experience on The Links. Greens have been nice, the rest of the course has the conditioning of a $40 muni.

Oh man. We are playing there on Aug 28th (both courses). I hope things change between now and then otherwise I will be extremely upset. And I know we are all looking forward to Lawsonia too. 

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

17 minutes ago, Shipwreck said:

Oh man. We are playing there on Aug 28th (both courses). I hope things change between now and then otherwise I will be extremely upset. And I know we are all looking forward to Lawsonia too. 

The fescue being cut down is a real downer. Without the fescue, the holes (especially on the back 9) just blend together too much for my eyes. Also, as doglegs accurately points out, without the fescue it is really just bombs away off the tee. That only leaves the greens (which are good) as The Links' defense.

I find The Links to be a polarizing course. If you are really into Golden Age course architecture and want to play some "ground game" golf, I understand why it gets the buzz it does. However, if those things do little for you, it can be a letdown. Compared to the other courses you're playing, the conditioning will be a step down (other than the greens).

Edited by TheBear95

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo