2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Some Things Wisconsin Golf

Phreddy

On 7/26/2022 at 12:18 PM, Sooner_Heath said:

Anyone here know much about The Club at Strawberry Creek? Going on golf trip in September and we usually have 1-1.5 he drive each day for golf from where we stay. It’s a little under 2hr drive from us but one of the guys can get us on thru his club. When he talked to their pro he said “it’s the best course in Wisconsin, better condition than anything you’ll find at Kohler” “best kept secret in American Golf”. 

So is this guy full of it or is this a course we definitely want to play while we’re there?

the greens are the best I have played on, but th lay out although fun I think would get boring after a while. Great course though

hope you liked it

On 8/3/2022 at 8:49 AM, soberD said:

$60 to walk on a weekend.  For that money you can play twice on some excellent courses around here.  

I played league there last night.  The smell admittedly isn't as bad on the back

I play Shepards multiple times a year for about 5 years, and the smell has never been an issue for me, great course

I am in Kenosha the courses I play in the area are

Brighton Dale LInks

Ives Grove

Spring Valley Golf CLub

Johnson PArk

Bristol Oaks

STrawberry Creek(when I can find an invite)

Oakwood golf club

Midlane golf links

Shepards crook 

Thunderhawk

I also play The Orchards in Door county a couple times a year, nice track and doesnt get overwhelmed with tourists, they go to Peninsula golf course, which is nice if you got the time

26 minutes ago, Wham49 said:

I am in Kenosha the courses I play in the area are

Brighton Dale LInks

Ives Grove

Spring Valley Golf CLub

Johnson PArk

Bristol Oaks

STrawberry Creek(when I can find an invite)

Oakwood golf club

Midlane golf links

Shepards crook 

Thunderhawk

I also play The Orchards in Door county a couple times a year, nice track and doesnt get overwhelmed with tourists, they go to Peninsula golf course, which is nice if you got the time

Very surprised to see Midlane on somebody's list.  Great course 30 years ago.  

The Peninsula course in Door County is worth the time.

2 minutes ago, soberD said:

Very surprised to see Midlane on somebody's list.  Great course 30 years ago.  

The Peninsula course in Door County is worth the time.

I agree, puts people off sometimes becasue to the crowds though. We tee off early, so not too bad

I am a member at midlane. it is ok, some cool holes but I got bored playing it this year, conditions are better then they have been, but it is run terribly and the people who work there are jerks. I got the membership for free so hard to complain too much, but excited to move on

Edited by Wham49

They put the new 9 in at Midlane when I was in High School or thereabouts.  Didn't match the original 18 at all, but we liked it.  Original 18 was such a great layout, used to be a lot of Bears playing there    Played in league there about 8 years ago and conditions were terrible.  Supposedly auctioned off this summer for a bag of peanuts.  

Agreed on Peninsula (and the Orchards).  Got to play early.  My dad used to have to get to Peninsula at 430AM and race to the starter box to get a time in the 80's.  Cherry hills in Sturgeon bay is also really cool but I haven't played there in a long time.  

20 minutes ago, ode said:

How is this course.....think about playing it as a second course when down in the area.

it is short, nothing too great, but it is taken care of nice and you can go low, The HS I coached at it is our home course perfect HS course, the Pro is awesome as well

if your down here check Spring VAlley, awesome layout, wasnt taken care of for a long time but is getting much better, it is a classic 20's course. Got a bad name for years be being not taken care of but it is really coming around with the new owner, cheap as well

what is your first course?

2 minutes ago, Wham49 said:

it is short, nothing too great, but it is taken care of nice and you can go low, The HS I coached at it is our home course perfect HS course, the Pro is awesome as well

if your down here check Spring VAlley, awesome layout, wasnt taken care of for a long time but is getting much better, it is a classic 20's course. Got a bad name for years be being not taken care of but it is really coming around with the new owner, cheap as well

what is your first course?

Thx, I have played SVCC a few times, given it's lineage I felt I had to, and enjoy it, lot of fun!

1 hour ago, soberD said:

They put the new 9 in at Midlane when I was in High School or thereabouts.  Didn't match the original 18 at all, but we liked it.  Original 18 was such a great layout, used to be a lot of Bears playing there    Played in league there about 8 years ago and conditions were terrible.  Supposedly auctioned off this summer for a bag of peanuts.  

Agreed on Peninsula (and the Orchards).  Got to play early.  My dad used to have to get to Peninsula at 430AM and race to the starter box to get a time in the 80's.  Cherry hills in Sturgeon bay is also really cool but I haven't played there in a long time.  

Is Cherry Hills Private?

ya it was auctioned off, run like garbage but it is in better shape, new 9 is goine more houses, 

1 minute ago, ode said:

Thx, I have played SVCC a few times, given it's lineage I felt I had to, and enjoy it, lot of fun!

my dad started working there this summer, retirement fun, so I get at it for free. It really has gotter=n much better the last 2 years, took many trees and softened the greens, and is now working on the fairways, oversedding and a new fertilizing strat, next time your down check it

1 hour ago, Wham49 said:

my dad started working there this summer, retirement fun, so I get at it for free. It really has gotter=n much better the last 2 years, took many trees and softened the greens, and is now working on the fairways, oversedding and a new fertilizing strat, next time your down check it

I need to get back out there.  It was pretty bad last time I played but that was about 5 years ago.  I've never been a big fan of courses full of elevated greens.

Cherry Hills was public when I played there.  

1 minute ago, soberD said:

I need to get back out there.  It was pretty bad last time I played but that was about 5 years ago.  I've never been a big fan of courses full of elevated greens.

Cherry Hills was public when I played there.  

that is the thing out there every green is elevated, Better be good at chipping or you can run up the score pretty quick

5 hours ago, Wham49 said:

I agree, puts people off sometimes becasue to the crowds though. We tee off early, so not too bad

I am a member at midlane. it is ok, some cool holes but I got bored playing it this year, conditions are better then they have been, but it is run terribly and the people who work there are jerks. I got the membership for free so hard to complain too much, but excited to move on

Played high school golf for three years out at Midlane in the early 90s.   Really wish they wouldn't have plowed half of that original 18 under for housing.  Haven't played out there for years now after seeing the current layout of holes.  Original 14-18 was a great way to finish out there.  Never really enjoyed that new nine, and never fit out there.    A free membership is definitely hard to complain about.  Do you know what they were charging for it?   Keep hearing threats that they want to do away with the memberships at Brighton Dale if they had their way.   Always looking for alternatives if that were to happen.   Only other place that was in the same price range was Bonnie Brook. 

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

12 minutes ago, TBone0576 said:

Played high school golf for three years out at Midlane in the early 90s.   Really wish they wouldn't have plowed half of that original 18 under for housing.  Haven't played out there for years now after seeing the current layout of holes.  Original 14-18 was a great way to finish out there.  Never really enjoyed that new nine, and never fit out there.    A free membership is definitely hard to complain about.  Do you know what they were charging for it?   Keep hearing threats that they want to do away with the memberships at Brighton Dale if they had their way.   Always looking for alternatives if that were to happen.   Only other place that was in the same price range was Bonnie Brook. 

my dad bought a family membership during a promotion last year and got it for$2100. I think a single was $1000. So my dad, me, and my daughter get to use the pass. I do not know the original 18, but do not love the layout right now.

BD can be a bunch of bullies, especially with the cart path nonsense. I know the pro pretty well he is my daughters JR PGA coach. Memberships wont go away though becasue it is a county pass. and the county will not do away with it IMO. What is the membership cost at Shepards crook? thats is where I would like to play alot, even without the range. Ives Grove could be an option for you as well although it is constantly packed

Edited by Wham49

9 hours ago, Wham49 said:

Good to hear.  That was my main complaint,.tee to green the conditions were pretty bad, but the layout  and the greens are super, so I did not care.  Not a fan if #9 and 18 green, especially 18, basically one area to put the pin and you gotta be ultra precise on that approach.  I suppose there is some charm in that, and it is kinda fun to know you gotta man up or it's a gonna be a tough up and in!

You guys have been hit pretty hard with rain, hopefully the course pulled thru ok!

11 hours ago, ode said:

Good to hear.  That was my main complaint,.tee to green the conditions were pretty bad, but the layout  and the greens are super, so I did not care.  Not a fan if #9 and 18 green, especially 18, basically one area to put the pin and you gotta be ultra precise on that approach.  I suppose there is some charm in that, and it is kinda fun to know you gotta man up or it's a gonna be a tough up and in!

You guys have been hit pretty hard with rain, hopefully the course pulled thru ok!

Midlane and SVCC did well with the rain

ya that was everybodies complaint, great layour but bad conditions, the conditions are much better this year then ever before, and will keep getting better, the greens are the defense of the course, I dont like 6, 7, or 15 either tough greens 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wham49 said:

my dad bought a family membership during a promotion last year and got it for$2100. I think a single was $1000. So my dad, me, and my daughter get to use the pass. I do not know the original 18, but do not love the layout right now.

BD can be a bunch of bullies, especially with the cart path nonsense. I know the pro pretty well he is my daughters JR PGA coach. Memberships wont go away though becasue it is a county pass. and the county will not do away with it IMO. What is the membership cost at Shepards crook? thats is where I would like to play alot, even without the range. Ives Grove could be an option for you as well although it is constantly packed

Sorry you didn't get to experience the original 18.  It was a good layout and one of the best courses in northern Lake County in my opinion.   We definitely had a home course advantage playing there in high school.    Looks like about $2200 for a single membership at Shepherds which is a bit rich for my blood.  I am trying to get to 60 rounds at Brighton Dale this season which will put me at about $25 a round with cart when I do the math at the end of the season.  

We know the pro at BD very well and he is the most outspoken critic of the pass from what I have heard.   As a oounty taxpayer I would be furious if they would try to take that away.  I suspect the price will go up which they haven't done in a while.  They have taken away benefits like free rounds to give to friends and family and range ball privileges.   I have not played Ives and is a bit of a haul, although so is BD.   I'll continue to head out there until I can't.  Still love the multiple courses and can play Pets once in a while if I really want. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

2 minutes ago, TBone0576 said:

Sorry you didn't get to experience the original 18.  It was a good layout and one of the best courses in northern Lake County in my opinion.   We definitely had a home course advantage playing there in high school.    Looks like about $2200 for a single membership at Shepherds which is a bit rich for my blood.  I am trying to get to 60 rounds at Brighton Dale this season which will put me at about $25 a round with cart when I do the math at the end of the season.  

We know the pro at BD very well and he is the most outspoken critic of the pass from what I have heard.   As a oounty taxpayer I would be furious if they would try to take that away.  I suspect the price will go up which they haven't done in a while.  They have taken away benefits like free rounds to give to friends and family and range ball privileges.   I have not played Ives and is a bit of a haul, although so is BD.   I'll continue to head out there until I can't.  Still love the multiple courses and can play Pets once in a while if I really want. 

remember that the pass if for Pets and BD. if it was up to BD they would be a private club and try to act like that to its nonmembers right now. I think they would be making a huge mistake by eliminating them, becasue everybody I play with out there is a member, their whole Wed Men's club game is all members and that is their busiest non weekend day. I have been around to many many courses as a coach the p=last ten years to many very nice private clubs, and the BD staff is the worst to their members and guests. It is like they do you a favor by letting you play there

1 hour ago, TBone0576 said:

Love the Boxer puppy by the way. Looks like mine. I have had 4 Boxers in my life. The one I have now is almost 7 already, great dogs

the single is the same as a family at Midlane, 

23 hours ago, Wham49 said:

remember that the pass if for Pets and BD. if it was up to BD they would be a private club and try to act like that to its nonmembers right now. I think they would be making a huge mistake by eliminating them, becasue everybody I play with out there is a member, their whole Wed Men's club game is all members and that is their busiest non weekend day. I have been around to many many courses as a coach the p=last ten years to many very nice private clubs, and the BD staff is the worst to their members and guests. It is like they do you a favor by letting you play there

I played Pets a few weekends ago and it was a maddening experience.  They had just top dressed the greens and they were a mess.  I shot a 73 with 36 putts.  I am not the best putter in the world but I am not that bad either.   It can also be frustrating because the same people are always there early and I get the vibe that they feel like they own the place.   I've heard a lot of complaints about the staff at BD but haven't experienced it myself.

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

22 hours ago, Wham49 said:

Love the Boxer puppy by the way. Looks like mine. I have had 4 Boxers in my life. The one I have now is almost 7 already, great dogs

the single is the same as a family at Midlane, 

This is my 3rd Boxer.  First two were rescues and I got this one as a puppy.  He is 9-1/2 now and completely grey but still very active.   Out of curiosity what neighborhood are you located in Kenosha?

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

35 minutes ago, TBone0576 said:

I played Pets a few weekends ago and it was a maddening experience.  They had just top dressed the greens and they were a mess.  I shot a 73 with 36 putts.  I am not the best putter in the world but I am not that bad either.   It can also be frustrating because the same people are always there early and I get the vibe that they feel like they own the place.   I've heard a lot of complaints about the staff at BD but haven't experienced it myself.

not a fan of Pets

34 minutes ago, TBone0576 said:

This is my 3rd Boxer.  First two were rescues and I got this one as a puppy.  He is 9-1/2 now and completely grey but still very active.   Out of curiosity what neighborhood are you located in Kenosha?

The Lincoln Boulavard Neighborhood, between Snap on and the Spot

my boxer has a comopletely gray mask now, he got gray pretty early still acts like a puppy though

18 minutes ago, Wham49 said:

The Lincoln Boulavard Neighborhood, between Snap on and the Spot

my boxer has a comopletely gray mask now, he got gray pretty early still acts like a puppy though

Very familiar with that part of town.  I often drive through that way coming and going from work.    Really nice part of town.    Maybe we will have to try to get out and golf sometime.  Running out of time this season but maybe next.  

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

38 minutes ago, TBone0576 said:

Very familiar with that part of town.  I often drive through that way coming and going from work.    Really nice part of town.    Maybe we will have to try to get out and golf sometime.  Running out of time this season but maybe next.  

thank you, you are a north sider I presume then

nah, plenty of time this year, fall golf is the best golf. Why dont we try to get out on a Saturday. Midlane or Spring Valley maybe?

4 hours ago, Wham49 said:

thank you, you are a north sider I presume then

nah, plenty of time this year, fall golf is the best golf. Why dont we try to get out on a Saturday. Midlane or Spring Valley maybe?

Maybe we can work something out.  I PM'd you.  

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

On 9/7/2022 at 9:53 AM, TBone0576 said:

Going to head up to Erin Hills Saturday to watch some of the Mid Amateur tournament with my wife.   I wasn't sure they were allowing galleries but they apparently are.   I figured this is an opportune time to walk the course with my wife and also hit the clubhouse on the way out to check out merch.  Weather looks nice and should be a beautiful walk.   I love that course and thought that this would be way better than coming back in 2025 when they host the US Women's Open.  

That's what me and my wife did Saturday and exactly what I thought about regarding the women's US open. I went the volunteer route and it's been fun. Every one is super laid back, most players are chatty so it's a once in a blue moon opportunity to be so close to amazing golf. 

• Like 1

Srixon ZX7/Cobra Radspeed XB

ZX 3w Riptide/Cobra radspeed motore F3

ZX 19/22 hy Riptide 

Cobra FT 5-Pw,Aw KBS/ Cobra F9 5-pw,aw 

Cbx ZC 54/Cbx FF 58 Dgold

Cobra sport 45/Cleveland elevado

Srixon QST/Titleist Pro V1 or whatever urethane balls I may find 

• 2 weeks later...

Played in the Langford shield which is hosted at lawsonia the last 9 years. Amazing tournament and was able to snag the low gross. If anyone is able to secure an invite in the future I would highly recommend going. 

D73A227B-3DE9-4DD6-A4D0-7E5F3D0373A7.jpeg.33555083268f7792581c3c9840db2d95.jpeg

0F085CA9-AF6B-4111-B2A7-913F6D032B98.jpeg.b6f9a4381fdf3bd7a58c326583186157.jpeg

7AD0BD51-3540-4D0E-ACD1-F9C56F74C40F.jpeg.117311bab1bd9cadd45c4b20403b743b.jpeg

• Like 3

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto