Some Things Wisconsin Golf

Phreddy

On 12/21/2021 at 7:38 PM, tjl48 said:

Anyone know if Erin Hills opens early some years? On the website it has I think the week of May 9th as opening. I am going to be in the area the week before and was hoping of getting on. 

I have a stay & play booked for May 6th-7th. They moved up their opening to includ this weekend so I'll be doing all the Whistling Straits courses right into Erin Hills.

On 1/10/2022 at 8:23 AM, TBone0576 said:

Does Lawsonia tend to open relatively early in the spring or it is going to be early to mid May?  I have never played and hoping to get up there with a buddy and possibly get 

around on both courses in one day.    Wasn't sure if they had spring rates like many places do. 

They will open weather permitting....I played opening day last season and I wanna say it was last day of March or first day of April, but ??  They don't have a late opening like some upscale resort courses/clubs.  Last year was a mild winter and spring was kind without any big snows.  First round of the year was the first Friday of March Madness.

On 1/11/2022 at 11:13 AM, ode said:

They will open weather permitting....I played opening day last season and I wanna say it was last day of March or first day of April, but ??  They don't have a late opening like some upscale resort courses/clubs.  Last year was a mild winter and spring was kind without any big snows.  First round of the year was the first Friday of March Madness.

Ok good to know.  I'll just keep an eye on it and maybe get up there early before May.    So far we haven't had much in the way of snow down Kenosha way but there are still a few months to go. I've played as early as late February but usually start getting amped to get out around St Patty's Day. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

On 1/10/2022 at 8:23 AM, TBone0576 said:

Does Lawsonia tend to open relatively early in the spring or it is going to be early to mid May?  I have never played and hoping to get up there with a buddy and possibly get 

around on both courses in one day.    Wasn't sure if they had spring rates like many places do. 

Like Ode says. Typically April 1st. They do spring rates but I’m not sure when that transitions, possibly may 15th. 

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

What is the weather like in Mid May in Wisconsin? Is it a total crapshoot?

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

18 hours ago, bcc624 said:

When is a better time to visit and play in Wisco? Early may or first week in October?

From a condition stand point I’d say October. 

• Like 4

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

State Am being hosted at Sand Valley. State Match play being hosted at Lawsonia Links. This might be the summer to get back into competitive golf with these venues.

• Like 1

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

• 3 weeks later...

Wife and I just booked a night at Sand Valley... we wanted 2 nights, only 1 night stays available... Will be playing SV on the 26th and Mammoth on the 27th... Hoping to hop on the Sand Box at some point as well... beyond excited

• Like 1

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

• 2 weeks later...

Got a message from Erin Hills to book for this year and next.  I can't stomach laying out $270 for an early May round plus whatever the caddie would potentially be.  I was able to get tee times up at Lawsonia for May 1st.  Links in the morning and Woodlands in the afternoon.  $65 with cart for each course.  If the weather works out it should be a really good deal and fun.  

• Like 2

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

1 hour ago, TBone0576 said:

Got a message from Erin Hills to book for this year and next.  I can't stomach laying out $270 for an early May round plus whatever the caddie would potentially be.  I was able to get tee times up at Lawsonia for May 1st.  Links in the morning and Woodlands in the afternoon.  $65 with cart for each course.  If the weather works out it should be a really good deal and fun.  

I'm the same way, there are so many courses to play at a value that far exceeds (👈my own opinion) those that charge a super premium.  I do however envy those that have the means to play Erin Hills, as it looks like a fabulous course.  Sadly I'll be living vicariously through those guys and gals!  The question I pose to myself is, do I plop down $300 for one round or plan out 5+ other rounds over the course of a month or more and hit up those places

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ode said:

I'm the same way, there are so many courses to play at a value that far exceeds (👈my own opinion) those that charge a super premium.  I do however envy those that have the means to play Erin Hills, as it looks like a fabulous course.  Sadly I'll be living vicariously through those guys and gals!  The question I pose to myself is, do I plop down $300 for one round or plan out 5+ other rounds over the course of a month or more and hit up those places

The ONLY downside to my retirement is that I no longer enjoy "customer" golf.  No more rounds at Erin, the Straits or SV where I was the guest or I was expensing it.  Maybe I should have factored that into my math and worked one more year😂.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

8 minutes ago, Phreddy said:

The ONLY downside to my retirement is that I no longer enjoy "customer" golf.  No more rounds at Erin, the Straits or SV where I was the guest or I was expensing it.  Maybe I should have factored that into my math and worked one more year😂.

I have a good friend that worked at Blackwolf, then Whistling, after his first retirement; and I was so glad he was able to retire, but not the second time!

3 hours ago, ode said:

I've played EH 3 times and never been to Lawsonia so that plays into it as well. I think I plunked down around $270 last May for 36 at Sand Valley and while expensive I thought that was kind of a neat experience so I am hoping this is a similarly cool experience on a slightly different level.  If I enjoy it I'll go back in mid-season and at least know what to expect. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

• 3 weeks later...

Made tee times March 19 and 20 for Brighton Dale opening weekend.  Not looking too warm unfortunately.  Hopefully no snow and at least playable. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone play sentryworld recently? I know they’re doing an all inclusive while on the course and the price reflects that. Thinking of doing a 36 hole trek between there and SPCC. 

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

12 hours ago, collje26 said:

Anyone play sentryworld recently? I know they’re doing an all inclusive while on the course and the price reflects that. Thinking of doing a 36 hole trek between there and SPCC. 

I'm looking forward to trying out Sentry World now that it will be reopened.  I read some where that not only are your greens fees inclusive of food and beverage on the course, but they are doing 15 or 20 minute tee times.

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

2 hours ago, Phreddy said:

I'm looking forward to trying out Sentry World now that it will be reopened.  I read some where that not only are your greens fees inclusive of food and beverage on the course, but they are doing 15 or 20 minute tee times.

Are there many other public courses that do this?  I know many places in Mexico will but I’m not familiar with including food and drink. 

9 hours ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

Are there many other public courses that do this?  I know many places in Mexico will but I’m not familiar with including food and drink. 

Very rare. Reduces the number from 6 groups an hour to 4 or 3. I’m assuming that sentry world isn’t going to be shelling out 6 packs and brats left and right. 

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

1 hour ago, collje26 said:

Very rare. Reduces the number from 6 groups an hour to 4 or 3. I’m assuming that sentry world isn’t going to be shelling out 6 packs and brats left and right. 

From their website...here's what's included in your round...

Call us today to schedule your tee time for a fully inclusive golf experience at SentryWorld. All rates include: 

• 18 holes of world-class golf
  • GPS-equipped golf cart with Bluetooth speakers
  • Practice balls
  • On-course refreshment stations with complimentary:
    • Grab-and-go meals and snacks
    • Handcrafted hot menu items
    • Draft and craft beers, wine, seltzers, and other premixed cocktails
    • Non-alcoholic beverages, including soda, sports drinks, and lemonade
    • Made-to-order cocktails and specialty beverages
  • Club storage

Because we schedule our tee times at 20-minute intervals, the course won’t be overcrowded so you can enjoy a relaxed pace of play. And you can extend your experience with an on-site Stay and play package at The Inn at SentryWorld.

• Like 1

Got out for a round last weekend but there was an almost 90 minute frost delay.  This weekend looks like more of the same so I cancelled out.  Next weekend looks the same 

again.  I realize that March golf in WI is bonus golf but this is a little rough to start.  Realize I could wait out the delay but I am an early start/early finish guy and have no interest

in getting home after 1pm on a weekend.   Even after the delay we got out first and made good time on the front but the clubhouse sent out half a dozen groups on the back so we 

were all backed up when we made the turn.   Hope you other guys are getting out there somehow.  Almost 2 inches of rain this week at my house in Kenosha.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

• 3 weeks later...

Gents,

I usually do a few spring trips to wisconsin to take advantage of the Kohler courses and Sand Valley.  Kohler is already open (I think the straits is not open yet) but wanted to know what the weather is looking like up that way.  Is there still snow on the ground?  Should I wait another week to 10 days.  Right now I can pay around $120 and that includes 36 holes on the Irish course and the original champtionship course at Blackwolf Run so it will be cool to check out all 3 courses

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

49 minutes ago, BG5 said:

Gents,

I usually do a few spring trips to wisconsin to take advantage of the Kohler courses and Sand Valley.  Kohler is already open (I think the straits is not open yet) but wanted to know what the weather is looking like up that way.  Is there still snow on the ground?  Should I wait another week to 10 days.  Right now I can pay around $120 and that includes 36 holes on the Irish course and the original champtionship course at Blackwolf Run so it will be cool to check out all 3 courses

That's a good deal for those two courses. 

It's been a really bad spring, weather wise.  Little snow over winter but a LOT of rain the last month.  Not much open in the area, as a result.  As long as they drain well, should be decent/playable, but the courses that do not will be saturated.  No snow on the ground, although we did get rain/snow/sleet at the end of the day yesterday leaving a coating of snow in areas.  It was gone by noon today.  Forecast is ok moving forward with some rain forecasted next week, but the temps are still going to be cool.  Not sure when you are planning on coming but next few days look ok, then some possible rain and then it cools off towards the end of next week with highs barely creeping into the 40's.

4 hours ago, Madhoshi said:

Hello all! I have a dilemma in my May golf trip to WI. I'll be there 9-16, and have rounds at SV (10-11), Erin hills (12), and the Kohler courses 13-16. One hiccup is the 14th morning, everywhere seems booked up. Any suggestions for some under the radar courses that I can reach out to for that morning? TIA!

Very near Erin Hills is Washington County.  Near Kohler are The Bull and within an hour and a half of Kohler is Lawsonia.  Not exactly under the radar as all are excellent tracks.  Surely one of those would have an opening.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Madhoshi said:

Hello all! I have a dilemma in my May golf trip to WI. I'll be there 9-16, and have rounds at SV (10-11), Erin hills (12), and the Kohler courses 13-16. One hiccup is the 14th morning, everywhere seems booked up. Any suggestions for some under the radar courses that I can reach out to for that morning? TIA!

Depending what connections you have I'd suggest making a call to Pine Hills Country Club which is near kohler. Washington County is an excellent track as @Phreddymentioned. 

• Like 1

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux