2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Some Things Wisconsin Golf

Phreddy

On 5/10/2021 at 8:20 PM, Timbo Slice said:

I'm pretty sure the Lido just jumped ahead of Sedge Valley because of how excited they probably are to bring it to Sand Valley.  Probably be a top 5 course in country.  Don't know much about Sedge other than they still planning on building it.

I’ve been following this closely and I’m very curious how it will turn out. My biggest question is will it be a new course or just the best copy possible I’d the old Lido. What I’ve gather is it will be a modern interpretation of the Lido with mainly template holes. 

Regardless, thinking it will be a top 5 course seems a bit optimistic. To be considered top 5 or even top 15-20 it seems like there are a few things it needs. 
A) built before WW2. 
B) have a golden area architect

C) be on the coast 

It doesn’t have to check every box but without it checking even 1 I just don’t see it. And maybe that says more about the ranking system then the courses I don’t know. Yes, I know there are some exceptions (looking at you Sand Hills). 

6 hours ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

I’ve been following this closely and I’m very curious how it will turn out. My biggest question is will it be a new course or just the best copy possible I’d the old Lido. What I’ve gather is it will be a modern interpretation of the Lido with mainly template holes. 

Regardless, thinking it will be a top 5 course seems a bit optimistic. To be considered top 5 or even top 15-20 it seems like there are a few things it needs. 
A) built before WW2. 
B) have a golden area architect

C) be on the coast 

It doesn’t have to check every box but without it checking even 1 I just don’t see it. And maybe that says more about the ranking system then the courses I don’t know. Yes, I know there are some exceptions (looking at you Sand Hills). 

My understanding is The Lido will recreate the original course as closely as possible, with exceptions being made for extra space between some areas in the name of safety. Course architect Tom Doak is using 3D mapping which was painstakingly created by a Lido enthusiast, along with other information on record, to help achieve the replication in great detail. 

What the end result ends up being will be interesting to see. There are a number of golf course cognoscenti who look upon The Lido as something of a cross between Utopia, the lost city of Atlantis and a unicorn so I expect the gushing to be effusive and the ranking lofty, if the goal of the project is met. 

• Like 2

@PuttCurseRepeat very interesting, thanks! Any idea what they are going to do about the yardage? I could be wrong but I’m guessing that the yardage the course played at won’t stand up to modern standards. The idea of wanting to keep the course as accurate as possible but adding yardage would be a tough decision. 

44 minutes ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

@PuttCurseRepeat very interesting, thanks! Any idea what they are going to do about the yardage? I could be wrong but I’m guessing that the yardage the course played at won’t stand up to modern standards. The idea of wanting to keep the course as accurate as possible but adding yardage would be a tough decision. 

I'm guessing you were already aware of the threads on gca - but based on your questions maybe not? You can also do a search on 'lido' to find other threads:

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,68638.150.html

• Thanks 1

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

1 hour ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

The Lido website already has a lot of good content (as does Golf Club Atlas). I think the tentative yardage is 6,582 - so very close to the original yardage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got to play lac la belle for the first time yesterday. I really had a great time there. You can tell the grass is still young, but the fairways and greens played very pure. The greens rolled great. Could be a touch faster but we’re definitely not slow. Bunkers were amazing. Green complexes were crazy without ever feeling stupid. One of the best things about the layout was how varied the yardages were hole to hole. Definitely got to use a ton of different clubs approaching greens. Overall it’s only going to get better, but where it’s at now is already great in my opinion. I would say it’s kind of a mix between mammoth dunes and sentryworld for type of course. Certainly a must play in the state. 

• Like 4

@Lefty96 I used to play it before the renovation (it was a constant Golf Now hot deal for $29) and thought it was a decent course.  The front nine had some Donald Ross elements that had me wondering if he had any input into the original design.   I recall the back nine being just meh.  (Ross designed Oconomowoc Golf Club across town, which was private, last I checked.)

Everything I've heard jives with your review.  It's a stellar course that's going to get better with time.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 8:20 PM, hawkeyestrong said:

Coming from NE Iowa. Looking to play memorial weekend. Any recommendations on great golf that would have open tee times? Looking for a stay and play for one night. Shot an email off to sand valley, doubt I have any luck there. 

When you say "stay and play" do you mean literally staying onsite at location you play?  Wisco doesn't have a lot of "great" resort golf outside of Kohler and Sand Valley.  A sleeper you might want to try (and don't have to travel that far into Wisconsin to play it) is the House on the Rock Resort.  The original 18 is a Robert Trent Jones design.  A third 9-holes was designed by Andy North and Roger Packard who have done some nice courses (Trappers Turn) elsewhere.  

I have not played it, but heard it's very good, and given its location could very well not be run over with tourists on Memorial Day.

Edited by games

On 5/16/2021 at 7:19 AM, Lefty96 said:

Got to play lac la belle for the first time yesterday. I really had a great time there. You can tell the grass is still young, but the fairways and greens played very pure. The greens rolled great. Could be a touch faster but we’re definitely not slow. Bunkers were amazing. Green complexes were crazy without ever feeling stupid. One of the best things about the layout was how varied the yardages were hole to hole. Definitely got to use a ton of different clubs approaching greens. Overall it’s only going to get better, but where it’s at now is already great in my opinion. I would say it’s kind of a mix between mammoth dunes and sentryworld for type of course. Certainly a must play in the state. 

My buddy and I were trying to compare to something and the only thing we could come up with was a bit of SV/MD for the greens and a bit of URidge on the layout.  Glad you had fun ... Looking forward to going back!

Edited by ode

7 hours ago, Lefty96 said:

I definitely want to play here next Thursday on the way back from SV. I see on their website that caddys are complimentary. Has anyone experienced this particular perk?

• 2 weeks later...

Today was my first round back in Wisconsin after 5 months in the desert southwest.  I've missed the lushness of the vegetation and punching out from between trees instead of looking for a ball in a landscape that wants to practice acupuncture on your body amid creatures that want to kill you.  It was really fun to play greens that held an approach shot and yet putted to a smooth fast roll.  Well, except for the helicopter seeds that I was at times to lazy to remove from my line.  I shot par for the first three holes and then the wind started to play havoc with my shots.  Wind is part of the game but it messed me up today.  I know I lose a few yards since I am no longer at 2500 feet, but please explain what this stuff called humidity is all about.  I get it.  I grew up here, but even 50% humidity feels dense compared to 10%.  I know it is just a 6 month season (give or take) in The Badger State, but what a rich universe of quality golf.  Glad to be home.

Phred

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

Playing both Sand Valley and Mammoth Dunes for the first time on Memorial Day and am in absolute countdown mode.  Can't wait to get on the property.  I had inquired about Memorial Day all the way back in February and was told that tee times would open up 30 days beforehand (I live about an hour from SV so am not staying at the resort).  A friend and I both called on the day tee times opened up and we were able to be paired together for 36...SV at 8:40, MD at 3:15.  Plenty of time to get some lunch and a bit of a rest in between rounds (I've heard the chicken tacos at Craig's Porch are a must).  We had thought about trying to squeeze the Sandbox into that window between the rounds, but I think my legs will appreciate the rest.  We're hoping the pro shop will let us get out onto Sandbox after the round at MD is complete and see how many holes we can fit in before dark.  Any advice or recommendations?  Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

DRIVER........Ping G430 Max 10K 9*
FAIRWAY........Ping G430 Max 5W
HYBRID........Ping G410 3H 
IRONS........Ping i210 4-U
WEDGES........Ping Glide 3.0 54* SS, 58* Eye2
PUTTER........Odyssey White Hot Versa Twelve-S
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/955611-hawk3y3s-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

49 minutes ago, _Hawk3y3_ said:

Playing both Sand Valley and Mammoth Dunes for the first time on Memorial Day and am in absolute countdown mode.  Can't wait to get on the property.  I had inquired about Memorial Day all the way back in February and was told that tee times would open up 30 days beforehand (I live about an hour from SV so am not staying at the resort).  A friend and I both called on the day tee times opened up and we were able to be paired together for 36...SV at 8:40, MD at 3:15.  Plenty of time to get some lunch and a bit of a rest in between rounds (I've heard the chicken tacos at Craig's Porch are a must).  We had thought about trying to squeeze the Sandbox into that window between the rounds, but I think my legs will appreciate the rest.  We're hoping the pro shop will let us get out onto Sandbox after the round at MD is complete and see how many holes we can fit in before dark.  Any advice or recommendations?  Thanks in advance!

I am going in 2 weeks and cant wait. Would love to hear about your experience when you get back!

• Like 1

SV & MD are both very walkable.  You will have a great time.  And yes, the tacos at Craig's Porch are really really good.  I hope the weather is nice enough that you can go to the main lodge and savor an adult beverage on the deck outside and drink in the view.

Phred

• Like 2

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

Had the pleasure of playing Oneida Country Club yesterday (36 holes) and cannot say enough about the layout and test of golf. The amount of workability and shot value on that course is amazing. Greens were a bit slower than I anticipated but man are there some solid golf holes out there.

• Like 1

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

4 hours ago, _Hawk3y3_ said:

What. A. Day.  53 holes of golf with perfect weather and great company, as I was accompanied by a fellow teacher and golf coach from a neighboring school district (Jon).  We specifically chose to play on Memorial Day because it was the last day to take advantage of Spring Rates, and neither of us had teaching/coaching obligations on that day.  We debated taking a caddie, but ultimately decided against it.  One of the themes for the day was maximizing value and fun.  Mission accomplished.

The schedule for the day was SV at 8:40, MD at 3:15.  Plenty of time in between to eat and rest.  We were up in the air as to whether to play the Sandbox during that time, or wait until after the round at MD was completed.  More on that later.  I arrived plenty early, and the staff was tremendously helpful and accommodating.  Every staff member I encountered consistently went out of their way to make me feel like the most valued guest on the property.  Can't say enough good things about them.

We met the other members of our foursome about 10 minutes before our SV tee time, and discovered they would be utilizing the services of a caddie, which wound up being extremely helpful as it relates to pace of play.  Getting from green to next tee box is always marked, but not necessarily obvious if you aren't looking for it.  He gave great advice, and was good for tons of laughs.  I made a conscious effort not to ask him too much, as I had not hired him for the day, but he was generous with his knowledge.  I tipped him for his time at the end of the round, and he specifically said that if we had a caddie in our group for the round at MD to ask more questions, even if we had not been the ones to enlist those services.  Stand up guy.  He introduced himself as C.J., which I later found out stood for Chris Johnson, a PGA Tour Canada player.  To say that he was awesome would be a gross understatement.  If anyone is headed up there in the next couple of weeks, request him.  The tour starts up in a few weeks, so he said he won't be around these parts much longer.

The day was filled with so many fantastic moments that it's hard to pick one, but the highlight of the day might have come right away on hole #1 of SV.  We decided to play the orange tees (6,500 yards, 1 set forward of the tips).  Hole #1 is a 325 yard par 4 with waste area entirely up the left and the flag sitting on a shelf in the back right corner of the green.  Jon laid up with a hybrid, and I decided to rip driver.  It was flirting with the left waste area the entire time, and I never saw the ball come down (I rarely do, my eyes suck).  I still couldn't see my ball as we got to Jon's, and I watched him stuff a wedge on top of that little shelf to 4 feet.  I keep looking in the waste area for my ball as we approach the green, but am pleasantly surprised to see that my drive found the front right of the green.  I gave the eagle putt a good run and tapped in for birdie, then watched Jon pour in his 4 footer.  Couldn't think of a better way to start an awesome day.

The scoring wasn't fantastic after that, but I didn't expect it to be.  I'm coming off of a wrist injury and have only played 9 holes in the previous 6 weeks.  Absence of any type of form was expected.  I made another birdie on the par 5 fourth, and played plenty of fun and interesting shots.  My driver, which is the strength of my game, completely abandoned me on the back 9.  I was missing the largest fairways in the world by 30 yards and duffing every shot attempt out of the waste areas.  I didn't care, though.  I was grinning ear to ear as I hacked my way around to a 92 (40-52...yikes on that backside).  I actually putted relatively well for my mediocre standards...one 3-putt due to me leaving myself an impossible first putt, and 2 or 3 that I was able to walk in.  I controlled my speed well (much better than I did on MD), I think due in large part to it still being morning and the greens still having a bit of moisture.  They were pretty quick, but not like putting on ice.  The roll was always true.  We were told SV was definitely the more challenging of the 2 courses, and I can definitely see why that is the case.  The greens repel on SV much more so than MD.  And the closing stretch is no joke.  What a fantastic course. 

We had lunch on Craig's Porch.  I got numerous recommendations that the tacos were a must try.  I can confirm their awesomeness.  $1.50 chicken, pork, or mushroom tacos.  Ridiculously affordable, and very tasty.  You could eat like a king for cheaper than a value meal at most fast food joints.  It was the perfect way to refuel after a round, eating as we overlooked other groups teeing off for the day and coming in on 18.

As I mentioned before, we were unsure if we wanted to play the Sandbox in between the 18s or if we wanted to wait until after.  We knew that we were going to play it at some point during the day...after all, one of the themes of this day was maximizing value, and the Sandbox is free to play for anyone playing 36 holes in a day.  Although rest and pacing are important on a long day like that, we are both in decent shape and decided that the time was right to play the short course.  Potential hot take here...after playing all 3 courses, I think Sandbox might be the best course on the property.  It was easily the most fun we both had all day.  We played match play format where the loser of a hole gets to pick the teeing area and any stipulations for the next hole.  For example, I lost hole #4, so for hole #5 I chose a teeing area about 20 yards back from where the tee markers were and set the stipulation that the entire hole had to be played with only 3 woods (we took our entire bags expecting chicanery such as this, not wanting to limit ourselves to just a couple of wedges).  He set a condition on #9 that the hole needed to be completed by only hitting 1-handed putts.  We had such a blast trying to 1-up each other's creativity and shot making.  I ultimately squared the match on 16 by stuffing a 92 yard pitching wedge to 2 feet, and we halved the final hole to finish all square.  An incredibly fitting end to the craziest match I have ever played.  Go out of your way to play this course.  I can't heap enough praise on it.

After a little rearranging of the tee sheet, we teed off MD at 3:40 as a twosome.  This meant no caddie, but I found the layout of MD a bit more straightforward.  What a golf course.  I can see why so many say it is the most fun course they have ever played.  Every hole presents you with a new challenge, and even though it is more scoreable than SV the strokes can still pile up in a hurry.  As evidenced by the 89 I shot.  The back 9 woes from SV carried right into the front 9 at MD as my driver was still off the planet.  And when you miss the excessively wide fairways, the recovery shots are not always simple.  Hence, the strokes pile up in a hurry.  Just as with SV, however, I didn't care one bit.  I was still smiling, laughing, and taking in the breathtaking surroundings.  Constantly searching for the answer, I found it on hole 12 and the driver was all of a sudden straight as an arrow for the rest of the day.  I still couldn't putt, but I'll take what I can get.  I somehow managed to break 90 (47-42), but felt the score was not at all indicative of how I played.  My front 9 contained three 3-putts, my back 9 another two of them.  I'd certainly like another shot at MD once I've had an opportunity to get my game in shape rather than sitting around for 6 weeks rehabbing a wrist.

Supper consisted of a "Smash Burger" at the food truck right next to the Sandbox.  $8 for a really good burger and fantastic fries.  Again, the quality and value of the food at Sand Valley was second to none (although I've never had the pleasure of visiting Augusta).  There was enough daylight left to get in 9 more holes on the Sandbox if we desired, but Jon had an early morning the next day and a 2.5 hour drive home.  

My Sand Valley experience was truly exceptional.  Fantastic course conditions, world class staff, food options that can suit anybody, and an unforgettable golf experience.  No coastal views like Bandon has, but I don't think they are necessary.  The topography is stunning in its own right, and gives the property a very unique feel.  I wouldn't change a thing about the day, except the quality of some of my golf shots.  This includes the order of which we played the courses.  I've heard about a 50/50 split regarding which course people like to play first.  I was glad to have played SV first...I don't think it would be accurate to say it's a bit more of a grind, but it certainly can test your shotmaking (especially around the greens) a bit more often than MD.  I feel it's easier to focus on those things earlier in the day than try to do it after you've already played 18 plus the Sandbox.  

I will be back to SV to play again.  No idea when, as my budget doesn't allow me to do things like this very often (maybe once a year).  You should go out of your way to play it too.  The courses can truly accommodate anybody's game.  If my incredibly substandard level of play can still get around in bogey golf, anybody can.  And if you've made it to the end of this post, sorry...you'll never get those 5 minutes of your life back.

Great review and write up.  Thank you for taking the time to "put it on paper."  I agree that while a caddie isn't essential on your first trip around SV it can be very helpful.  Certainly with the lines off the tee on a couple holes and often in simply finding the next tee.  #'s 17 & 18 are a great finish to any round.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, _Hawk3y3_ said:

What. A. Day.  53 holes of golf with perfect weather and great company, as I was accompanied by a fellow teacher and golf coach from a neighboring school district (Jon).  We specifically chose to play on Memorial Day because it was the last day to take advantage of Spring Rates, and neither of us had teaching/coaching obligations on that day.  We debated taking a caddie, but ultimately decided against it.  One of the themes for the day was maximizing value and fun.  Mission accomplished.

The schedule for the day was SV at 8:40, MD at 3:15.  Plenty of time in between to eat and rest.  We were up in the air as to whether to play the Sandbox during that time, or wait until after the round at MD was completed.  More on that later.  I arrived plenty early, and the staff was tremendously helpful and accommodating.  Every staff member I encountered consistently went out of their way to make me feel like the most valued guest on the property.  Can't say enough good things about them.

We met the other members of our foursome about 10 minutes before our SV tee time, and discovered they would be utilizing the services of a caddie, which wound up being extremely helpful as it relates to pace of play.  Getting from green to next tee box is always marked, but not necessarily obvious if you aren't looking for it.  He gave great advice, and was good for tons of laughs.  I made a conscious effort not to ask him too much, as I had not hired him for the day, but he was generous with his knowledge.  I tipped him for his time at the end of the round, and he specifically said that if we had a caddie in our group for the round at MD to ask more questions, even if we had not been the ones to enlist those services.  Stand up guy.  He introduced himself as C.J., which I later found out stood for Chris Johnson, a PGA Tour Canada player.  To say that he was awesome would be a gross understatement.  If anyone is headed up there in the next couple of weeks, request him.  The tour starts up in a few weeks, so he said he won't be around these parts much longer.

The day was filled with so many fantastic moments that it's hard to pick one, but the highlight of the day might have come right away on hole #1 of SV.  We decided to play the orange tees (6,500 yards, 1 set forward of the tips).  Hole #1 is a 325 yard par 4 with waste area entirely up the left and the flag sitting on a shelf in the back right corner of the green.  Jon laid up with a hybrid, and I decided to rip driver.  It was flirting with the left waste area the entire time, and I never saw the ball come down (I rarely do, my eyes suck).  I still couldn't see my ball as we got to Jon's, and I watched him stuff a wedge on top of that little shelf to 4 feet.  I keep looking in the waste area for my ball as we approach the green, but am pleasantly surprised to see that my drive found the front right of the green.  I gave the eagle putt a good run and tapped in for birdie, then watched Jon pour in his 4 footer.  Couldn't think of a better way to start an awesome day.

The scoring wasn't fantastic after that, but I didn't expect it to be.  I'm coming off of a wrist injury and have only played 9 holes in the previous 6 weeks.  Absence of any type of form was expected.  I made another birdie on the par 5 fourth, and played plenty of fun and interesting shots.  My driver, which is the strength of my game, completely abandoned me on the back 9.  I was missing the largest fairways in the world by 30 yards and duffing every shot attempt out of the waste areas.  I didn't care, though.  I was grinning ear to ear as I hacked my way around to a 92 (40-52...yikes on that backside).  I actually putted relatively well for my mediocre standards...one 3-putt due to me leaving myself an impossible first putt, and 2 or 3 that I was able to walk in.  I controlled my speed well (much better than I did on MD), I think due in large part to it still being morning and the greens still having a bit of moisture.  They were pretty quick, but not like putting on ice.  The roll was always true.  We were told SV was definitely the more challenging of the 2 courses, and I can definitely see why that is the case.  The greens repel on SV much more so than MD.  And the closing stretch is no joke.  What a fantastic course. 

We had lunch on Craig's Porch.  I got numerous recommendations that the tacos were a must try.  I can confirm their awesomeness.  $1.50 chicken, pork, or mushroom tacos.  Ridiculously affordable, and very tasty.  You could eat like a king for cheaper than a value meal at most fast food joints.  It was the perfect way to refuel after a round, eating as we overlooked other groups teeing off for the day and coming in on 18.

As I mentioned before, we were unsure if we wanted to play the Sandbox in between the 18s or if we wanted to wait until after.  We knew that we were going to play it at some point during the day...after all, one of the themes of this day was maximizing value, and the Sandbox is free to play for anyone playing 36 holes in a day.  Although rest and pacing are important on a long day like that, we are both in decent shape and decided that the time was right to play the short course.  Potential hot take here...after playing all 3 courses, I think Sandbox might be the best course on the property.  It was easily the most fun we both had all day.  We played match play format where the loser of a hole gets to pick the teeing area and any stipulations for the next hole.  For example, I lost hole #4, so for hole #5 I chose a teeing area about 20 yards back from where the tee markers were and set the stipulation that the entire hole had to be played with only 3 woods (we took our entire bags expecting chicanery such as this, not wanting to limit ourselves to just a couple of wedges).  He set a condition on #9 that the hole needed to be completed by only hitting 1-handed putts.  We had such a blast trying to 1-up each other's creativity and shot making.  I ultimately squared the match on 16 by stuffing a 92 yard pitching wedge to 2 feet, and we halved the final hole to finish all square.  An incredibly fitting end to the craziest match I have ever played.  Go out of your way to play this course.  I can't heap enough praise on it.

After a little rearranging of the tee sheet, we teed off MD at 3:40 as a twosome.  This meant no caddie, but I found the layout of MD a bit more straightforward.  What a golf course.  I can see why so many say it is the most fun course they have ever played.  Every hole presents you with a new challenge, and even though it is more scoreable than SV the strokes can still pile up in a hurry.  As evidenced by the 89 I shot.  The back 9 woes from SV carried right into the front 9 at MD as my driver was still off the planet.  And when you miss the excessively wide fairways, the recovery shots are not always simple.  Hence, the strokes pile up in a hurry.  Just as with SV, however, I didn't care one bit.  I was still smiling, laughing, and taking in the breathtaking surroundings.  Constantly searching for the answer, I found it on hole 12 and the driver was all of a sudden straight as an arrow for the rest of the day.  I still couldn't putt, but I'll take what I can get.  I somehow managed to break 90 (47-42), but felt the score was not at all indicative of how I played.  My front 9 contained three 3-putts, my back 9 another two of them.  I'd certainly like another shot at MD once I've had an opportunity to get my game in shape rather than sitting around for 6 weeks rehabbing a wrist.

Supper consisted of a "Smash Burger" at the food truck right next to the Sandbox.  $8 for a really good burger and fantastic fries.  Again, the quality and value of the food at Sand Valley was second to none (although I've never had the pleasure of visiting Augusta).  There was enough daylight left to get in 9 more holes on the Sandbox if we desired, but Jon had an early morning the next day and a 2.5 hour drive home.  

My Sand Valley experience was truly exceptional.  Fantastic course conditions, world class staff, food options that can suit anybody, and an unforgettable golf experience.  No coastal views like Bandon has, but I don't think they are necessary.  The topography is stunning in its own right, and gives the property a very unique feel.  I wouldn't change a thing about the day, except the quality of some of my golf shots.  This includes the order of which we played the courses.  I've heard about a 50/50 split regarding which course people like to play first.  I was glad to have played SV first...I don't think it would be accurate to say it's a bit more of a grind, but it certainly can test your shotmaking (especially around the greens) a bit more often than MD.  I feel it's easier to focus on those things earlier in the day than try to do it after you've already played 18 plus the Sandbox.  

I will be back to SV to play again.  No idea when, as my budget doesn't allow me to do things like this very often (maybe once a year).  You should go out of your way to play it too.  The courses can truly accommodate anybody's game.  If my incredibly substandard level of play can still get around in bogey golf, anybody can.  And if you've made it to the end of this post, sorry...you'll never get those 5 minutes of your life back.

Excellent write up.  I also played 53 holes in a day last year and it was a blast.  We also did not take caddies but I think that I will do so this year when I go up to SV.  I am hoping for a late July trip

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 26*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

9 hours ago, _Hawk3y3_ said:

We are going back to SV in a couple of weeks to play b**** MD and SV.  This time though, we are not taking caddies, but will use our own carts (if possible).  Do you notice or know if they still allow you to bring your own push carts? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bankkur74 said:

We are going back to SV in a couple of weeks to play b**** MD and SV.  This time though, we are not taking caddies, but will use our own carts (if possible).  Do you notice or know if they still allow you to bring your own push carts? 

I used my Clicgear. Their rickshaw carts would seem advantageous at times, and are only $10 for the day if I remember correctly. 

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/955611-hawk3y3s-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

24 minutes ago, lowlight21 said:

Were the shuttles operating at SV? Last year, they weren't really running due to capacity restrictions so curious how that's looking for this golf season.  Not a huge deal, but packing up clubs and driving from MD to SV was the slightest of inconveniences.

Shuttles are fully operational.

1 minute ago, _Hawk3y3_ said:

Shuttles are fully operational.

Excellent.  We also used our own push carts, and packing/unpacking them for the back of the car between SV and MD rounds was a bit annoying.  I believe with the shuttles you can just load your assembled push cart up into the shuttle - was that your experience?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lowlight21 said:

Excellent.  We also used our own push carts, and packing/unpacking them for the back of the car between SV and MD rounds was a bit annoying.  I believe with the shuttles you can just load your assembled push cart up into the shuttle - was that your experience?

We were there a couple of years back and they just put our push carts in the back of the shuttle.

• Like 1