Some Things Wisconsin Golf

Phreddy

Erin Hill, SV and Kohler form a sort of triangle.  Certainly a worthy and top flight golf junket.  Largely within that triangle are other excellent venues that all have their own following:  Washington County, Lawsonia and Sentry World are the ones most often mentioned.  Check all those boxes and then come back for the ones you didn't have time to hit.

Phred

• Like 1

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

Sentry World is owned by Sentry Insurance and hence doesn't have to make a nickel to remain in business.  If I am not mistaken they have been closed for the entire season in 2020.  While not the longest or most difficult course it is easily one of prettiest and most manicured.  Course conditions and staff are always top shelf.  Does anyone know if they have made any changes during their self imposed COVID closure or are they simply grooming it?

Phred

• Like 3

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

great info here.

Lefty, another source of info for wisconsin trips is golfwrx user exgolfpro.

search or DM him as it seems he has made several trips over the years to WI for golf

• Like 1

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Much appreciated guys! Now that I've checked Bandon off the bucket list, next up is the Midwest area, primarily Wisconsin and I have had my eye on Sand Valley for awhile. Resort looks like a smaller version of Bandon; love how the tracks look too.

So many great courses up in that area that I wouldn't want to miss out on any depending on the number of days I planning on staying for. Thinking maybe 4-5 nights right now with 2 at SV.

Relatively speaking, it's easiest to fly into Milwaukee then use a rental car to navigate between courses, correct?

Edited by Lefty_89

sounds like Stevens Point CC is an interesting one to check out as well (Stevens Point is home to the Sentry World course), and this other course the country club has public tee times, and the same guy who "found" the Sand Valley land, Craig Haltom, did a nice project at Stevens Point CC.

Stevens Point CC won a settlement for a herbicide that killed a bunch of trees and put it to work on the club under Craig Haltom's guidance.

I didn't know but "Craig's Porch" at Sand Valley is named after him.

He is also the one behind the work at the Club at Lac LaBelle 20 minutes west of Milwaukee.

Nice piece on Steven Point CC by Adam Lawrence

https://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/content/stevens-point-a-recipe-for-success/

Edited by geochitown
  • Like 1

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

2 hours ago, Phreddy said:

Sentry World is owned by Sentry Insurance and hence doesn't have to make a nickel to remain in business.  If I am not mistaken they have been closed for the entire season in 2020.  While not the longest or most difficult course it is easily one of prettiest and most manicured.  Course conditions and staff are always top shelf.  Does anyone know if they have made any changes during their self imposed COVID closure or are they simply grooming it?

Phred

I don't think they are doing any work on the course per se.  

They completed an extensive renovation/reworking of the course with a respected gcs some 3 years back (re-opened in 2015)???

I think the course was originally built by RTJ.

TM TP5x

2 hours ago, Lefty_89 said:

Much appreciated guys! Now that I've checked Bandon off the bucket list, next up is the Midwest area, primarily Wisconsin and I have had my eye on Sand Valley for awhile. Resort looks like a smaller version of Bandon; love how the tracks look too.

So many great courses up in that area that I wouldn't want to miss out on any depending on the number of days I planning on staying for. Thinking maybe 4-5 nights right now with 2 at SV.

Relatively speaking, it's easiest to fly into Milwaukee then use a rental car to navigate between courses, correct?

Yeah, you're definitely going to need a rental car. It's 175 miles from MKE to Sand Valley. 'Saves 75 miles compared to O'Hare.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Flying into Milwaukee vs O'Hare largely depends upon where you are coming from.  MKE was once a very good airport, but post COVID it resembles a strip mall with half the store fronts vacant.  Functionally it is great, but the number of direct flights has dwindled dramatically.

• 2 weeks later...

Played Mascoutin this past Sunday, greens were phenomenal for this time of year. Looking to play this weekend, mainly Saturday. Anyone else looking to play around the green lake/ripon area?

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

Played U Ridge on Friday.   Loved it, would put that back 9 up against anything else I've played.  Love those short par 4,s.  16 is a fun hole.  Some serious elevation change going on. 

Checked a few other boxes this year- 

Big Fish.  Enjoyed that.  Back 9 is something else.

Sage Run - that was a treat, rugged beauty.  Still needs a little grown in but a unique experience.  Lot of fun holes.  If you are up playing Sweetgrass I'd suggest giving it a go if you have not.

Buddy and I drove up and played Giants Ridge (Quarry and Legends) and Fortune Bay in Minnesota.  Quarry is amazing course and Legends is not far behind (same with Fortune Bay).  We stayed in Hayward, played Big Fish in the a.m. and then headed up to Giants ridge, played the Quarry.  Overnight, then Legends followed by Fortune Bay, overnight and then the Quarry again and headed home.  Beautiful courses and would be a great buddies trip.  

I know it's a Wisco thread but UP has some great golf as does Minnesota.  Greywalls will be a box that I check next year.  Reading about the Heritage course I did not realize Langford and Mareau designed the original 9.  Likely will play it too if up in that area.

Edited by ode

3 hours ago, ode said:

Played U Ridge on Friday.   Loved it, would put that back 9 up against anything else I've played.  Love those short par 4,s.  16 is a fun hole.  Some serious elevation change going on. 

Checked a few other boxes this year- 

Big Fish.  Enjoyed that.  Back 9 is something else.

Sage Run - that was a treat, rugged beauty.  Still needs a little grown in but a unique experience.  Lot of fun holes.  If you are up playing Sweetgrass I'd suggest giving it a go if you have not.

Buddy and I drove up and played Giants Ridge (Quarry and Legends) and Fortune Bay in Minnesota.  Quarry is amazing course and Legends is not far behind (same with Fortune Bay).  We stayed in Hayward, played Big Fish in the a.m. and then headed up to Giants ridge, played the Quarry.  Overnight, then Legends followed by Fortune Bay, overnight and then the Quarry again and headed home.  Beautiful courses and would be a great buddies trip.  

I know it's a Wisco thread but UP has some great golf as does Minnesota.  Greywalls will be a box that I check next year.  Reading about the Heritage course I did not realize Langford and Mareau designed the original 9.  Likely will play it too if up in that area.

If you’re looking in the UP be sure to check out Pine Grove Country Club. 

• Like 1

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

@ode I remember we played Greywalls the second year it was open.  We drove up and were astonished to see three or four an up and down, hardhat holes back and forth.  My friends and I were shocked.  Parked the car, then saw a small sign leading to a shack that said "Greywalls check-in."  It was only on the long cart ride out to the first tee that we realized there were two courses on the site!  Greywalls is a beautiful course...   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, games said:

@ode I remember we played Greywalls the second year it was open.  We drove up and were astonished to see three or four an up and down, hardhat holes back and forth.  My friends and I were shocked.  Parked the car, then saw a small sign leading to a shack that said "Greywalls check-in."  It was only on the long cart ride out to the first tee that we realized there were two courses on the site!  Greywalls is a beautiful course...   

The two guys that I've talked to that played it said similar things re: check in/shack, long ride to the first tee, and beauty of the course.  The intent was to get up there on the 13th but they (Greywalls; I think Heritage was still open) were closed already so we looped twice at Sage Run instead.

Edited by ode

Dear Mr. Putz,

It was cold last weekend when my Son-In-Law-Wannabe invited me to play 18.  And I certainly don't mind that you and a friend joined our tee time. I know we are both Wisconsonites with a well won reputation for driving the speed limit in the left lane even if we are side by side with another vehicle doing exactly the same speed.  But the golf course isn't the freeway.  We had to let two foursomes play through our group and it took us over 5 hours to play a 3 maybe 3 1/2 hour round.  You are a mega putz.  You were focused on everything but hitting the golf ball.  And you kinda sucked.  I will play happily with any skill set, as long as we actually play.  Find the ball.  Get your number.  Hit it.  I don't need you to back off a 6' putt to tell me how well, round by round, you putted last year.  You haven't made anything over 1' all day.  Twelve practice swings, change clubs, repeat practice swings, stop and ask you buddy about the line on the Packer game, go help him look for his ball, return, practice swing and then hit.  Really?  The cart girl, dressed for the Iditarod, really doesn't think you are cute or funny.  Getting your fourth beer isn't a foul, but I can't say the same about dropping your club in the fairway to chase her down, then a spirited debate with your partner over the merits of beer vs switching to vodka.

Just a thought.  Book the last tee time.  It may get dark.  You may get lost, but hey, you seem to do lost well.

Phred

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Phreddy said:

Dear Mr. Putz,

It was cold last weekend when my Son-In-Law-Wannabe invited me to play 18.  And I certainly don't mind that you and a friend joined our tee time. I know we are both Wisconsonites with a well won reputation for driving the speed limit in the left lane even if we are side by side with another vehicle doing exactly the same speed.  But the golf course isn't the freeway.  We had to let two foursomes play through our group and it took us over 5 hours to play a 3 maybe 3 1/2 hour round.  You are a mega putz.  You were focused on everything but hitting the golf ball.  And you kinda sucked.  I will play happily with any skill set, as long as we actually play.  Find the ball.  Get your number.  Hit it.  I don't need you to back off a 6' putt to tell me how well, round by round, you putted last year.  You haven't made anything over 1' all day.  Twelve practice swings, change clubs, repeat practice swings, stop and ask you buddy about the line on the Packer game, go help him look for his ball, return, practice swing and then hit.  Really?  The cart girl, dressed for the Iditarod, really doesn't think you are cute or funny.  Getting your fourth beer isn't a foul, but I can't say the same about dropping your club in the fairway to chase her down, then a spirited debate with your partner over the merits of beer vs switching to vodka.

Just a thought.  Book the last tee time.  It may get dark.  You may get lost, but hey, you seem to do lost well.

Phred

FFS. If one is enjoying a day at Pebble Beach on a beautiful summer day, I can somewhat understand taking a few extra moments to soak in the moment. Taking numerous practice swings, and playing like a nitwit on a cold fall day is another thing. We love golf, and especially fall golf, but we still don't want to spend 4+ hours doing it. Get a move on, and have your f-cking beers after the round in the clubhouse, or your truck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2020 at 8:18 AM, Sfarrenkopf said:

Appears Brown Deer has once again undertaken a massive logging operation. Darn Ash trees. The first round really changed the look of the course, this round seems to be a bit more dramatic.

I remember all those trees being removed.....forget which holes it impacted but two holes parallel to one another 16-17?  Where is it going on now?

• 2 weeks later...

nice thread.  iowa guy here planning a week of golf and ryder cup in 2021.  as is, we will 99% be staying in Oconomowoc or Lake Geneva, as we can get free lodging there.  it will be a buddies/guys trip with golf 2-3 days and ryder cup 1-2 days.  if we are staying in the general milwaukee vicinity, what are suggestions for:

1.  a high end higher $ course, if there is one worth it (erin hills?)

2.  whatever "can't miss" courses we need to see.  sounds like brown deer is popular?

3.  any lower cost options that are great values?

i see something like this.  golf 36 tuesday.  ryder cup practice rounds wednesday.  golf 18 (some will do 36) thursday.  friday ryder cup both sessions.  saturday golf.

thanks for any and all input - i'll go back through the thread, and keep an eye out here.  just starting the planning phase.

Erin Hills is a personal favorite.  It will book up early during your Ryder Cup pilgrimage.  A hop, skip and a jump away from Erin Hills is Washington County.  An excellent course at a great price.  Brown Deer is a very solid, PGA worthy course.  We have lost tons of trees to the Emerald Ash Bore.  They are cutting more as I type this, so the character may change a bit.  There is a cult following for Lawsonia on here, and not without merit, although it may stretch your driving time a bit.  If you are burning gas, I also like University Ridge outside Madison.  Other notables in the SE would be The Bull, Naga-Waukee, The Bog (not a personal favorite) and I would throw in the newly redone Lac La Belle.  If you have connections to get on some privates, Strawberry Creek, Pine Hills and Oconomowoc CC (a Donald Ross) are really good courses without the pomp and circumstance of Milw CC or Bluemound.

Phred

Would you guys consider wild rock in the dells for this list?

• Like 2

TM TP5x

12 minutes ago, theironhorse said:

most of us have been to the dells multiple times and have played wild rock and trappers a good deal, so we'll be staying (and playing) east of there.

club at lac la belle is right there near oconomowoc and they will have had another season of grow-in so that should be one to check out.

TM TP5x

• 2 months later...

Michigan guy here trying to convince my buddy in Arizona to do a Wisconsin trip for his 40th birthday (June 14th). I know almost nothing about Wisc golf other than there are a ton of great courses. 

I have, however been reading this thread and SV seems like it's high on everyone's list. I take it that it's walking only? I don't mind walking, but that might be a tough sell for the other guys (they are lazy and like to drink alot, but are all solid sticks).

Obviously there's also Kohler, and other good tracks I've heard of before such as Lawsonia, etc...

With our foursome coming in from different areas of the country (Phoenix/KC/Detroit), we'd probably all meet at Milwaukee Airport and rent a car. I'm guessing we'd play three full days of golf. Some guys like 18, others 36, so we'll likely compromise on 27.

All this being said, what would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, 1puttTUT said:

Michigan guy here trying to convince my buddy in Arizona to do a Wisconsin trip for his 40th birthday (June 14th). I know almost nothing about Wisc golf other than there are a ton of great courses. 

I have, however been reading this thread and SV seems like it's high on everyone's list. I take it that it's walking only? I don't mind walking, but that might be a tough sell for the other guys (they are lazy and like to drink alot, but are all solid sticks).

Obviously there's also Kohler, and other good tracks I've heard of before such as Lawsonia, etc...

With our foursome coming in from different areas of the country (Phoenix/KC/Detroit), we'd probably all meet at Milwaukee Airport and rent a car. I'm guessing we'd play three full days of golf. Some guys like 18, others 36, so we'll likely compromise on 27.

All this being said, what would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance!

If you play Kohler, Erin or Sand Valley you will be walking.  Caddies are available at all three.  Sand Valley is hard to beat for a buddies trip and they offer a decent replay rate if you are looking to go 36.  Accommodations are great, and Lake Arrowhead golf is just a gap wedge away.  If you elect to do Sand Valley I would play the Links course at Lawsonia on your way up. Google always says it is under 3 hours from Milwaukee.  That hasn't always been my experience.  So, play on your way up, take your time on the drive and check in for a late dinner and drinks.

Phred

• Like 1

We have had to defer our trip to Wisconsin for a year and so when it does happen we are considering extending it to Michigan. The idea would be to go on from Sand Valley or Kohler up to Greywalls and then down through Michigan for another week or two of golf at places like Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs and Stoatin Brae. Is there a scenic route in that direction? Is that road from say Green Bay, North to Marquette any problem and are there any courses en route worth playing?  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Chanceman said:

We have had to defer our trip to Wisconsin for a year and so when it does happen we are considering extending it to Michigan. The idea would be to go on from Sand Valley or Kohler up to Greywalls and then down through Michigan for another week or two of golf at places like Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs and Stoatin Brae. Is there a scenic route in that direction? Is that road from say Green Bay, North to Marquette any problem and are there any courses en route worth playing?  

The only drive to Marquette I'm familiar with is from Detroit. I do know that route 2 along the lake is really scenic. I haven't played much golf in the yoop either because I only really go up there in the winter for work.

There's so much good golf and vacation spots in the NW lower peninsula that I don't find myself needing to cross the bridge too often.

I will say that True North and Black Lake are worth a look in the Northern lower peninsula. They aren't talked about as much as Forest Dunes, Bay Harbor and Arcadia.

49 minutes ago, Chanceman said:

Yes.  Sweetgrass is well worth the stop and would be along the route from Kohler to Greywalls.  I guess not technically the way you'd take for the quickest route to Greywalls from Kohler, but it's headed in the right direction and wouldn't be adding much driving for a great golf course at a super value.  I've always wanted to take Hwy 35 as it's along the bay and then head back 2/41 to Sweetgtass but that would add quite a bit of time.  I don't know how scenic it is, but it has to be pretty good and would be a way to take from Kohler straight to Marquette.  Coming from Nekooosa to Marquette....I suppose you could head to Appleton then to Green Bay and up to Sweetgtass and that would be quite a few more miles but maybe not too much extra time (you'd get some time on 10 and 41 both 4 lane) vs. a more direct route heading north on 51 (or I'm sure there are a few other options  heading north with similar travel times).  Taking that route opens up Sentry World or Stevens Point CC (both pretty close to SV and would not break up the drive much) or I suppose some of the courses in Minoqua area, although I know nothing about those courses.  That would be more scenic than Appleton/Green Bay/Marinette.

I can't say enough good things about Sweetgtass....can't wait to get there in the spring/fall.  Sage Run is it's sister course and close by.  Still has a little grow in left but is a fun course and ruggedly beautiful.  I really enjoyed it, played for the first time last year and went back for a day trip in the fall and looped twice.  It's a different experience for sure vs. Sweetgtass.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ode said:

Yes.  Sweetgrass is well worth the stop and would be along the route from Kohler to Greywalls.  I guess not technically the way you'd take for the quickest route to Greywalls from Kohler, but it's headed in the right direction and wouldn't be adding much driving for a great golf course at a super value.  I've always wanted to take Hwy 35 as it's along the bay and then head back 2/41 to Sweetgtass but that would add quite a bit of time.  I don't know how scenic it is, but it has to be pretty good and would be a way to take from Kohler straight to Marquette.  Coming from Nekooosa to Marquette....I suppose you could head to Appleton then to Green Bay and up to Sweetgtass and that would be quite a few more miles but maybe not too much extra time (you'd get some time on 10 and 41 both 4 lane) vs. a more direct route heading north on 51 (or I'm sure there are a few other options  heading north with similar travel times).  Taking that route opens up Sentry World or Stevens Point CC (both pretty close to SV and would not break up the drive much) or I suppose some of the courses in Minoqua area, although I know nothing about those courses.  That would be more scenic than Appleton/Green Bay/Marinette.

I can't say enough good things about Sweetgtass....can't wait to get there in the spring/fall.  Sage Run is it's sister course and close by.  Still has a little grow in left but is a fun course and ruggedly beautiful.  I really enjoyed it, played for the first time last year and went back for a day trip in the fall and looped twice.  It's a different experience for sure vs. Sweetgtass.

Very glad I asked the question. Sweetgrass looks the goods. Thanks. Now we just wait for the travel ban to be lifted.....