2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Some Things Wisconsin Golf

Phreddy

Brighton Dale Links has been in pretty good shape this spring although it just can't seem to dry out completely.  The new super has really tightened up a number of the fairways, they have cleared a lot of brush and trees out, and the greens have been firm and running true this season even with all the rain.   Some of the bunkers need work and hopefully they can put some more sand in there soon.  Biggest challenge this year has been the rough.  I think they are shorthanded and there is a lot of grass to cut out there, plus not easy to do when wet.  We've really spent more time looking for balls in the rough this year than any other I can remember.    As my regular course I still love being out there and having the option of two different 18s on the weekend.  Not the most difficult layout but never get tired of it and certainly showing its teeth this spring. 

Edited by TBone0576
  • Like 1

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

On 5/18/2022 at 9:04 AM, Madhoshi said:

Everybody I talked to couldn't explain what made it "Wisconsin," but that I had to try it! They just said nobody makes it like we do lol. I had several up there, both with Brandy (sour and sweet) and Bourbon. Honestly some of the best drinks I've had, so that was great. No cheese curds in the drink lol. That was a separate delight. 

It's because of the main alcohol being brandy vs whiskey.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My rescheduled round at Lac La Belle is this Thursday.  Weather looking pretty good so overall excited about it.   One of the things he mentioned that a number of the holes seemed to take the driver out of his hands to try to get into position.   I think the other two guys we are playing with don't play much so I am quite certain we won't be tipping anything out which is totally fine.   I'm used to playing from 6700-7000 so if we play the 6400 yard course it might be slightly more fun. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

18 hours ago, TBone0576 said:

My rescheduled round at Lac La Belle is this Thursday.  Weather looking pretty good so overall excited about it.   One of the things he mentioned that a number of the holes seemed to take the driver out of his hands to try to get into position.   I think the other two guys we are playing with don't play much so I am quite certain we won't be tipping anything out which is totally fine.   I'm used to playing from 6700-7000 so if we play the 6400 yard course it might be slightly more fun. 

The front 9 certainly does that however the back 9 you’ll pull driver quite a bit. The variety between the 2 9’s is awesome. 

• Like 2

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

37 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

Are they putting a TPC Course in Madison?

They are. It will be replacing Cherokee Country Club and the project is being overseen by Stricker. 

• Like 1

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

37 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

Are they putting a TPC Course in Madison?

Not sure.  I had heard that the AmFam was no longer going to be at URidge and they were moving it to Cherokee CC which is being redone.  I know the Tiziani's have history with this club as well, and Sticker is married to a Tiziani.  Wouldn't surprise me if it's Cherokee CC, but ??

• Like 1

Yes

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

On 6/21/2022 at 6:20 AM, collje26 said:

The front 9 certainly does that however the back 9 you’ll pull driver quite a bit. The variety between the 2 9’s is awesome. 

Now it’s off again and we are playing Racine CC Friday.  I’ve heard it's nice.  Anyone been out there?  People tell me the greens are tough. 

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Looks like T. Romo got bounced in the knockout stage at the State Am match play at Lawsonia.  Cool he qualified at Dretzka, won his group play at Links to make to rd. of 16/knockout.  He's playing in the Ray Fischer at Riverside in Janesville, which does not get much mention here but is a fun parkland course and typically in good shape!

2 hours ago, TBone0576 said:

Now it’s off again and we are playing Racine CC Friday.  I’ve heard it's nice.  Anyone been out there?  People tell me the greens are tough. 

Played there years back for the state open. You’ll love it. The 18th hole running along side the club house is special. The first hole is a tough starter. 

• Like 2

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

On 6/22/2022 at 8:34 PM, collje26 said:

Played there years back for the state open. You’ll love it. The 18th hole running along side the club house is special. The first hole is a tough starter. 

It was a pretty difficult track and the greens were the fastest I've maybe ever played.   The member said the super told him they were running 12.3 that morning.  We were playing in a 6-some and no one was really taking anything seriously but I suspect it would be pretty tough to break 80 there.  I'd like another run at it in the future.  

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

I don't know the difference between venting and ranting, but here we go anyway...

I walked 18 today with a friend and a golfer of similar ability.  We are decent, not great varying between a 9/10 index.  BUT, we play fairly quickly.  Hit it, find it and hit it again.  Ahead of us today is a twosome of women in carts and in their 60's and ahead of them is a foursome of women in carts and in their 60's.  The twosome ahead of us are nice players.  Never in trouble.  Not triple reading greens and moving at a nice clip.  The foursome in front of them is awful.  Chat.  Hit.  In the water.  Two carts and four players hovering over one ball and then repeat at the next ball.  Stand around on the greens after holing out....you get it.  The twosome quits after 9 and now we are behind the foursome.  We have waited on every tee, never hit into anyone and been patient.  We are on the 10th green in two and the foursome needs to drive past us as we walk to the green so that they can get to the par 3 11th tee.

Me:  Ladies, if we catch you on 12 or 13 would you mind letting us play through?

Them:  Silence.  Now it is awkward.  Finally, "We'll see."

When we walk on to the 12th tee they are 150 yards out, two in the fairway, two in the rough. They drive their carts to the side of the fairway and wave us through.  Great!  We both crush our drives.  Middle of the fairway.  As I walk to my ball I walk to the edge of the fairway where they are parked,

Me:  Thank you ladies.  Very kind of you to let us play through.

Them:  You should have just skipped this hole and gone ahead.  We shouldn't have to wait for you to play through.

Me:  I respectfully disagree.  There are three holes open ahead of you.  You are not keeping pace with the other players on the course, and I intend to post an 18 hole score not a 17 hole score.  Letting a twosome play through was the proper thing to do.

Them:  You don't understand golf etiquette.  But, we will let you through.

Me:  It is a win win.  You won't feel pushed and we won't have to wait.  An enjoyable back 9 for everyone.

Them:  We were already enjoying the back 9.

My Partner:  Ladies, it is possible to be both wrong and rude.  Care to go for the trifecta?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

6 hours ago, Phreddy said:

I don't know the difference between venting and ranting, but here we go anyway...

I walked 18 today with a friend and a golfer of similar ability.  We are decent, not great varying between a 9/10 index.  BUT, we play fairly quickly.  Hit it, find it and hit it again.  Ahead of us today is a twosome of women in carts and in their 60's and ahead of them is a foursome of women in carts and in their 60's.  The twosome ahead of us are nice players.  Never in trouble.  Not triple reading greens and moving at a nice clip.  The foursome in front of them is awful.  Chat.  Hit.  In the water.  Two carts and four players hovering over one ball and then repeat at the next ball.  Stand around on the greens after holing out....you get it.  The twosome quits after 9 and now we are behind the foursome.  We have waited on every tee, never hit into anyone and been patient.  We are on the 10th green in two and the foursome needs to drive past us as we walk to the green so that they can get to the par 3 11th tee.

Me:  Ladies, if we catch you on 12 or 13 would you mind letting us play through?

When we walk on to the 12th tee they are 150 yards out, two in the fairway, two in the rough. They drive their carts to the side of the fairway and wave us through.  Great!  We both crush our drives.  Middle of the fairway.  As I walk to my ball I walk to the edge of the fairway where they are parked,

Them:  You should have just skipped this hole and gone ahead.  We shouldn't have to wait for you to play through.

Me:  I respectfully disagree.  There are three holes open ahead of you.  You are not keeping pace with the other players on the course, and I intend to post an 18 hole score not a 17 hole score.  Letting a twosome play through was the proper thing to do.

Me:  It is a win win.  You won't feel pushed and we won't have to wait.  An enjoyable back 9 for everyone.

My Partner:  Ladies, it is possible to be both wrong and rude.  Care to go for the trifecta?

Priceless. Perhaps they did not like being called Ladies.

On 6/28/2022 at 7:40 PM, Phreddy said:

I so like that you guys took it on....so frustrating dealing with situations like that and to deal with ignorance on top of that....ugh!

5 hours ago, zonacats23 said:

Any Minocqua Country Club members looking to add 2 this weekend? We're wanting to play something different than Timber Ridge this year. 

Heard so many good things about MCC. I’m up there all next week.  Got Trout Lake tomorrow.  Maybe do St Germain.  Just not a fan of Timber Ridge…

On 7/2/2022 at 5:19 PM, games said:

Just had an enjoyable round at Trout Lake.  Packed course but round was 4 hours 10 minutes.  Very nice condition, too.

Their practice facility/driving range is one of the best I've ever been to. Could hit balls for hours on that range.

• Like 1

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

Good to see the conversation about courses around Minocqua. Played timber ridge in the past and liked it ok. Booked a tee time at St Germain this for my next round. Sounds like I made the right choice. 

A couple family members don’t have anything good to say about Trout lake. Has it gotten better? I don’t think they have been back the last 5 years or so. 

16 hours ago, IrishGolfer14 said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on Old Hickory in Beaver Dam? I’m wondering if it’s worth the drive up from Milwaukee to check it out. 

It's one of my favorites.  I play several times per year.  Lots of elevation change, perched greens.  IMO for 18 holes, one.of the best collection of par 4's (1, 2, 5, 9, 10, 11, 13 14, 15 are all super holes).  Typically in really good condition (less the bunkers).  It's a tough course to score well on relative to the slope, and 18 is a real treat of a closing hole!

3 hours ago, ode said:

It's one of my favorites.  I play several times per year.  Lots of elevation change, perched greens.  IMO for 18 holes, one.of the best collection of par 4's (1, 2, 5, 9, 10, 11, 13 14, 15 are all super holes).  Typically in really good condition (less the bunkers).  It's a tough course to score well on relative to the slope, and 18 is a real treat of a closing hole!

Sounds like I will have to check it out. Any other courses around there worth playing while I am up from Milwaukee?

Ping G30
Titleist 915 F
Ping Rapture Hybrid 21
Mizuno MP15 4-PW
Vokey SM6 50, 56, 60
Byron Morgan DH89

16 hours ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

Good to see the conversation about courses around Minocqua. Played timber ridge in the past and liked it ok. Booked a tee time at St Germain this for my next round. Sounds like I made the right choice. 

A couple family members don’t have anything good to say about Trout lake. Has it gotten better? I don’t think they have been back the last 5 years or so. 

Trout is a shade below of the conditioning of Timber Ridge.  But so is every other public course in the 30 mile radius of Timber Ridge.

It’s a 6100 yard layout where the par 3 holes average about 155-160 yards long.  Add a couple of quirky holes and some may not like it.  I think it’s a fun challenge and the practice area is great!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, IrishGolfer14 said:

Sounds like I will have to check it out. Any other courses around there worth playing while I am up from Milwaukee?

If you are staying in the area or are looking to do 36, The Rock in Waupun is worth a look.  Front is old school, tree lined - although they lost 100 trees in the last year - I think emerald ash bore - it's still a nice and challenging layout with really good greens! back is completely different a meadow style layout that is in really good condition.  I played it for the first.time this spring and really liked it!