Some Things Wisconsin Golf

Phreddy

Anyone been over to Sand Valley recently? Headed there next weekend with the wife. How are the course conditions? She's not a golfer so she won't be playing, but wants to come walk one of the rounds with me. Is she welcome to do so like at Bandon? We're driving over from Saint Paul so if anyone has any advice for a Sand Valley first timer it is welcomed! (Haven't tried to convince her to let me play Erin while we're over there.) 

WITB

TaylorMade SIM 9* - Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 70 (45.25)

TaylorMade SIM 15* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X - (43.25)

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 Iron - KBS C-Taper Black S+

TaylorMade P730 4-PW - KBS C-Taper S+

Titleist Vokey SM8 48* - F Grind - KBS C-Taper S+

TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 - 56* & 60* - KBS C-Taper S

Titleist Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

TaylorMade TP5

5 hours ago, Son5 said:

Anyone been over to Sand Valley recently? Headed there next weekend with the wife. How are the course conditions? She's not a golfer so she won't be playing, but wants to come walk one of the rounds with me. Is she welcome to do so like at Bandon? We're driving over from Saint Paul so if anyone has any advice for a Sand Valley first timer it is welcomed! (Haven't tried to convince her to let me play Erin while we're over there.) 

I was there Saturday. Courses were in good shape. Greens were a little firmer and faster on SV, though both rolled nice. Tacos and breakfast sandwiches at craigs porch are a must. Barefoot golf on the sandbox is a great way to end the day. 

• Like 2

On 7/12/2022 at 2:50 PM, Son5 said:

Was there 2 weeks ago... courses were in fantastic condition.  I don't know about someone walking, but their customer service is top notch so I'd recommend giving them a call.  

Definitely hit up Craig's Porch for some tacos, and the Mammoth Bar was fantastic after a long day... The Sandbox is great and the food truck is top notch.  Everything I read told me that the ice cream sandwiches were great, unfortunately, the were sold out while we were there.

• Like 1

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

Played St. Germain the other day. Enjoyable round and a fun course. I really liked the front 9. A couple of good elevation changes and a fun variety of holes. The back didn’t do a lot for me. Par 3s were definitely the weakest part of the course. 

I think Timber Ridge would be my preference between the two but would have no issues going back. Man some of those holes are tight! The fairways are wide enough but knowing a miss of 5 yards will result in a lost ball makes it tough.

• Like 3

A friend of mine got a tip on this thread so we checked out Old Hickory for the first time before playing Fire Ridge midday. That was a nice call. I enjoyed the old school design on rolling terrain. There are a few blind shots and there’s some target golf but it’s well-manicured, having played it I now know the lines to take, there’s - GASP! - fresh sand in every bunker (seriously, it feels like half the courses have given up this year on filling and maintaining bunkers, at least in IL), and at $34 it’s tough to beat the value. The greens had been cut and rolled this morning before we played and we had the second tee time, so kudos to the maintenance crew as well. It wasn’t an easy walk but I was plenty fresh for the round two walk. My handicap steadily goes down during the summer but I was happy with a 76 given I couldn’t buy a birdie putt. However……

Fire Ridge is in rougher shape than I remember. It’s never drained all that well and the bunkers get washed out pretty easily but they always at least put forth some effort. They’re taking tips from Illinois courses and have just given up on the traps. Rocks galore, standing water even though it hasn’t rained since last week, and they don’t seem to be moving the holes too often. It’s a fun layout with a nice mix of good looking par 3’s, variety in the par 4’s and reachable par 5’s and the greens always have decent pace to them but it felt a step or two down from last year. Still, it’ll always be a place where a low score can be had. I got two birdie putts to drop  and realistically could have shot in the high 60’s. Had two lip out, three burned edges, and one that was just a rotation short. So it goes. 73. 

Edited by ldchristopher
  • Like 2

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

20 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

A friend of mine got a tip on this thread so we checked out Old Hickory for the first time before playing Fire Ridge midday. That was a nice call. I enjoyed the old school design on rolling terrain. There are a few blind shots and there’s some target golf but it’s well-manicured, having played it I now know the lines to take, there’s - GASP! - fresh sand in every bunker (seriously, it feels like half the courses have given up this year on filling and maintaining bunkers, at least in IL), and at $34 it’s tough to beat the value. The greens had been cut and rolled this morning before we played and we had the second tee time, so kudos to the maintenance crew as well. It wasn’t an easy walk but I was plenty fresh for the round two walk. My handicap steadily goes down during the summer but I was happy with a 76 given I couldn’t buy a birdie putt

👍, Glad you liked it.  It really is a treat.  Good to know re: the bunkers.  

A hot and sticky round at University Ridge today.  I can not figure out how the temperatures/humidity can be near a heat extreme and my putter remains in an ice bath.  Very happy with the way I hit the ball, generally pleased with chipping and wedges but putting sucked dog turds.  It wasn't the fault of the greens.  Despite heavy play and a sad number of unrepaired pitch marks the greens were quick and true.  I thought the entire course was in great condition, and the more I play it, become familiar with it, the more I like it.  They advise expecting rounds of 4 hours and 15 minutes.  We came in right on the number even with a pit stop for brats grilled at the side of the 9th green.  The best part of the day was playing 18 with my Son-In-Law-To-Be.  We played while my daughter, mom and friends shopped for a wedding dress.  Note to daughter:  Close the deal.  He is great guy and I can still beat him.

• Like 4

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

Thanks to all the suggestions in this thread, I'm giving Washington County a shot on Friday... anybody been there lately? what can i expect?

• Like 1

WITB

Heading up to southern Wisconsin to visit some friends.  I’m looking for some course recommendation along 90 between Janesville and Madison.  We’ve played Glen Erin in the past so looking for some new places to try out.

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 9* -  Ventus Black TR
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus Blue TR
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 19* - Ventus Blue TR
Mizuno 923 Forged - KBS Tour V
Titleist SM9 - 54 & 58 - KBS 610 Wedge
Odyssey TriHot 5k Triple Wide

Anyone here know much about The Club at Strawberry Creek? Going on golf trip in September and we usually have 1-1.5 he drive each day for golf from where we stay. It’s a little under 2hr drive from us but one of the guys can get us on thru his club. When he talked to their pro he said “it’s the best course in Wisconsin, better condition than anything you’ll find at Kohler” “best kept secret in American Golf”. 

So is this guy full of it or is this a course we definitely want to play while we’re there?

Got a Sand Valley Trip coming up, and just have a few logistics questions having never been there myself.  Google maps does not show anything, so hard to gauge distances between things.  We are staying in a "Double Queen" so I assume that is a main lodge room and not one of the cabins.

Arrival day

12:30pm @ Sandbox  then  2:45pm @ Mammoth Dunes

Do we have time to go to the car or room between rounds?  Asking because we are talking about bring fewer clubs, and maybe bringing one bag to share, and the loser each hole carries the bag for the next hole.  Not sure how long Sandbox takes to play, and how far it is to get form one to the other.

Next day is

6:30am @ Sandbox  then  9:05am @ Mammoth  then  3:00pm @ Sand Valley

What are the odds (without booking a tee time) that we could go back out late and just play a few holes on the sandbox from the putting tees only?  (This day or the previous day even)

Also saw some photos with glow sticks around flag sticks... Where do they do that?  Is that just for select events?  Certain days?

Departing the next day after playing Sand Valley at 8:30am.

It is all we could fit.  Mammoth is closed for a tournament either prior to us going, or after we leave (cannot quite remember which), tee times were pretty tight and lodging barely had any openings when we booked awhile back.  Cannot wait to go!  Also hoping the pro-shop has more merch options than what is on the website...

8 hours ago, miss0033 said:

Got a Sand Valley Trip coming up, and just have a few logistics questions having never been there myself.  Google maps does not show anything, so hard to gauge distances between things.  We are staying in a "Double Queen" so I assume that is a main lodge room and not one of the cabins.

Arrival day

12:30pm @ Sandbox  then  2:45pm @ Mammoth Dunes

Do we have time to go to the car or room between rounds?  Asking because we are talking about bring fewer clubs, and maybe bringing one bag to share, and the loser each hole carries the bag for the next hole.  Not sure how long Sandbox takes to play, and how far it is to get form one to the other.

Next day is

6:30am @ Sandbox  then  9:05am @ Mammoth  then  3:00pm @ Sand Valley

What are the odds (without booking a tee time) that we could go back out late and just play a few holes on the sandbox from the putting tees only?  (This day or the previous day even)

Also saw some photos with glow sticks around flag sticks... Where do they do that?  Is that just for select events?  Certain days?

Departing the next day after playing Sand Valley at 8:30am.

It is all we could fit.  Mammoth is closed for a tournament either prior to us going, or after we leave (cannot quite remember which), tee times were pretty tight and lodging barely had any openings when we booked awhile back.  Cannot wait to go!  Also hoping the pro-shop has more merch options than what is on the website...

Sandbox to Mammoth you will no issues, it's literally a 4 minute walk from the food truck to the club house so I wouldn't foresee any issues playing SB and then having time to grab your stuff and walk up to the tee on MD.

The pro-shop has much more than is listed on the website, Seamus covers & markers (with an anvil for customization), a lot of Peter Millar and Greyson, some adidas, something for everyone.

Lodging always seems to be full. we booked in January for July and could only get 1 night. We stayed in a double queen cabin and it overlooked the 9th on the Sandbox. 

The Mammoth Bar was great for after a round, also Craig's Porch has really good food at great prices. 

• Like 1

WITB

On 7/26/2022 at 12:11 PM, 2Tall4Golf said:

Heading up to southern Wisconsin to visit some friends.  I’m looking for some course recommendation along 90 between Janesville and Madison.  We’ve played Glen Erin in the past so looking for some new places to try out.

There isn't much along "90" between Janesville and Madison, at least not much worth playing.

Riverside in Janesville is a good muni.  The Oaks (I think it's considered Cottage Grove) is a fun layout (same architect/designer as Glen Erin).

Those two aren't really along 90 but wouldn't be too much extra driving.

On 7/26/2022 at 12:11 PM, 2Tall4Golf said:

I would try out the legends course in oregon. Pretty solid lay out

• Like 1

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

3 hours ago, ode said:

There isn't much along "90" between Janesville and Madison, at least not much worth playing.

Riverside in Janesville is a good muni.  The Oaks (I think it's considered Cottage Grove) is a fun layout (same architect/designer as Glen Erin).

Those two aren't really along 90 but wouldn't be too much extra driving.

2 hours ago, collje26 said:

I would try out the legends course in oregon. Pretty solid lay out

Thanks, I’ll check them out.

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 9* -  Ventus Black TR
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus Blue TR
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 19* - Ventus Blue TR
Mizuno 923 Forged - KBS Tour V
Titleist SM9 - 54 & 58 - KBS 610 Wedge
Odyssey TriHot 5k Triple Wide

On 7/26/2022 at 12:18 PM, Sooner_Heath said:

Anyone here know much about The Club at Strawberry Creek? Going on golf trip in September and we usually have 1-1.5 he drive each day for golf from where we stay. It’s a little under 2hr drive from us but one of the guys can get us on thru his club. When he talked to their pro he said “it’s the best course in Wisconsin, better condition than anything you’ll find at Kohler” “best kept secret in American Golf”. 

So is this guy full of it or is this a course we definitely want to play while we’re there?

It's been a few years since I have been out there but drive by it often as I live in Kenosha.   It's a fun layout from what I remember.  Pretty sure it will be in good condition but to claim to be the best, especially after seeing some pics and hearing about Phreddy's trip to Sentry World, is likely a stretch.    If you can get on, I definitely think it is worth playing a round there.   Depending on where you are staying there could be better options for you ( not sure what you would be paying for greens fees at Strawberry ).

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

On 7/26/2022 at 10:12 AM, jwhite86 said:

Thanks to all the suggestions in this thread, I'm giving Washington County a shot on Friday... anybody been there lately? what can i expect?

Played it today.....it's in really good shape.....expect it to play FIRM and FAST.   If the wind is up it will be a real test!  Had a great time as always!

Edited by ode
  • Like 3

Weather shaping up to be very nice this weekend.  I'll tee it up out at Brighton Dale Links both days.  The course has been in good shape after a rough spring with wet conditions and incredibly long rough for the early season.   We have a new super and he really has it whipped into shape.  Tightened a number of fairways, greens always running nice and doing the best he can with a skeleton crew.    Just wish I could put it all together for a few rounds.  I've had some nice 9-12 hole stretches but we all know that golf is 18 holes.   Anyway hope you guys get out and enjoy the golf this weekend.  

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Does shepherd’s crook in Zion, il fit the 1 hr criterion?

walking is under 50

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Played Washington County on Friday morning... booked as a single and was paired with a 3-some.  Only paid $49 for 18 and cart...

I was blown away, conditioning was incredible. GPS carts was a pleasant surprise.  Fast greens, beautiful layout.  

Thanks for all the mentions of it, it's a great track

• Like 3

WITB

What is the most fun course within 20 minutes of the MKE airport? Seems like it is between Whitnall, Grant Park and Oakwood Park, Greenfield and New Berlin?

Fun definition - relatively easy, interesting holes, decent conditions doesn't have to be long (I rarely play longer than 6,000 yds) but not a par 3 course. 

Edited by vandyfan

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

On 7/26/2022 at 12:18 PM, Sooner_Heath said:

Great course.  You won't be disappointed.  Only issue is too many houses on some holes.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

What is the most fun course within 20 minutes of the MKE airport? Seems like it is between Whitnall, Grant Park and Oakwood Park, Greenfield and New Berlin?

Fun definition - relatively easy, interesting holes, decent conditions doesn't have to be long (I rarely play longer than 6,000 yds) but not a par 3 course. 

Of those choices I would pick whitnall. Whitnall is a fun layout and in pretty nice shape this year last I played it. Oakwood is okay but more of a test lengthwise and less interesting in my opinion. New Berlin and greenfield are on par with each other. They are okay but they definitely are a step below Whitnall. 

6 hours ago, soberD said:

A great design and lots of fun but if the wind is from the south the landfill smell is overwhelming.  No joke.

Also overpriced for the condition.  Zion will screw anything up.  

you gotta be kidding me

I’ve played it 3 times this year and conditioning has been fantastic

had a southeast wind one day and smell wasn’t that bad

Might be an issue for a sensitive person Or maybe it’s Worse on a hit by day?

agree that it’s a great design 

Edited by geochitown

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

13 hours ago, geochitown said:

you gotta be kidding me

I’ve played it 3 times this year and conditioning has been fantastic

had a southeast wind one day and smell wasn’t that bad

Might be an issue for a sensitive person Or maybe it’s Worse on a hit by day?

agree that it’s a great design 

I've heard it is in great shape this year.   I've probably played it a dozen times and the smell has only been off putting once that I remember.   Fun course to play, I never get tired of it.  Challenging and fun. 

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

20 minutes ago, TBone0576 said:

I've heard it is in great shape this year.   I've probably played it a dozen times and the smell has only been off putting once that I remember.   Fun course to play, I never get tired of it.  Challenging and fun. 

$60 to walk on a weekend.  For that money you can play twice on some excellent courses around here.  

I played league there last night.  The smell admittedly isn't as bad on the back