The Glen Club - Chicago

mci711

I play it every June as part of a business outing. I like the course and generally it is in excellent condition. Since it is not my wallet I really don't have a clue how it fits into the Chicago cost spectrum.

..and yes. It is a walkable. Distance between green and tee is fine and the hills are rolling.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

The Glen Club overtook Dubsdread as my favorite public course in Chicago last year. Yes, it is walkable. Yes, it is overpriced. In fact, it's the most expensive public course in Chicago by far. It's never cheap, but you can play it for less in the late afternoon, or in the fall.

It's certainly not the type of course that you'll play multiple times in a year unless you simply like spending cash, but it is worth a visit once in a while.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

You can get reduced greens fees there on boxgroove.

I don't even think you need to be a premium member to do so (should be free?), as it's a "boxgroove" course.

Looks like it's fairly walkable

I haven't played there, only been there to watch a tourney, nationwide tour back in the early 2000's

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

You can get reduced greens fees there on boxgroove.

I don't even think you need to be a premium member to do so (should be free?), as it's a "boxgroove" course.

Looks like it's fairly walkable

I haven't played there, only been there to watch a tourney, nationwide tour back in the early 2000's

do you know what the discount is on boxgroove? I just joined that site.

depends day and time of day, but it was between 80-120...

you should be able to go to the site and look up glen club and it will show the days/times and greens fees

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

depends day and time of day, but it was between 80-120...

you should be able to go to the site and look up glen club and it will show the days/times and greens fees

Just looked, they have some great deals on Glen Club! $83 to play at 3:00 on Saturday. That's a couple hours later than I would want, but definitely do able since I go to the office (northbrook) Saturday mornings for a few hours. Also like the $75 tee times 3-6 pm weekdays, fits in perfect with the after work 4:30 tee time or even 5:00 tee time when the days are long. Prices do go up to summer rates starting late May which brings that Saturday fee to $99 and the weekday late afternoon fee to $85.

In my opinion, that's still too much. I'm not sure the Glen Club is all that much better than the munis in the area. It will have better conditioning than Wilmette, Sportsmans, Mount Prospect or Winnetka (all of which have good greens usually), but I'm not sure the quality of the holes is all that much better. There is nothing offensive about the Glen Club, but there is also nothing remarkable to warrant the premium they charge. They will have the service and feel of an upper class club, which I guess justifies the higher greens fee if you're into that kind of thing.

Played it this past saturday.

I really enjoyed the course

The conditioning is excellent (what one would expect)

Putting those greens was a pleasure

18's a great finisher!

TM TP5x

I really liked Glen Club when I played there two years back. My buddy and I took a caddy and walked early A.M. in the middle of a big fog. First three holes we had no idea what we were looking at off the tee, but it was still a good time (lot of interesting pictures).

Expensive, but I'd play there again next time I'm in Chicago. I appreciate a public course that provides caddies. Cantigny offers caddies too. Those two and Harborside are my favorite Chicago courses.

In Maryland/Delaware where I play most of my golf, I can't think of a public course that supports a caddy program.

Ping G400 LST 10.5º - Oban Kiyoshi Purple
Titleist TSi2 15º - Tensei Blue 75

TaylorMade M2 Rescue 22º – Matrix Ozik
Bridgestone J15 CB 4-PW – Modus Tour 120

Mizuno JPX 921 Tour GW - Modus Tour 120
Vokey SM7 56.10º S & 60.14º K
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

• 3 years later...

Surprised this course doesn't get more love. I'm starting to think it's my favorite course in the Chicagoland area. I'd really only put Mistwood above it.

It's challenging, well-conditioned, walkable, and interesting. Practice facilities are nice and the hospitality is solid. Never had a bad experience there.

Anyone know anyone who's joined? Feel free to DM if that's easier.

• 2 years later...

The Glen Club is a great championship track by Tom Fazio that many daily fee players tend to misunderstand. 

TGC is not a public course in the same sense that daily fee-reliant clubs like Dubsdread, Cantigny, Harborside, etc. are.  The Glen Club would have been a private course, but for the fact that it is sitting on a piece of public land.  So, it cannot be private.  It is a corporate membership club with public access.

It is a country club lite, and offers a full private club golf menu - multi-day member-guests, club championships, summer leagues, members' only range, short-game practice areas (not available to daily fees), winter greens, etc.  Northwestern golf teams practice and play there. 

I read somewhere 75% of the rounds are played by corporate members, about 15% by members' guests and less than 10% by daily fees.  So, it can and does charge a lot for public golfers who can pay the fees.  

I belong to a couple of clubs in the area and played nearly all of the top North Shore and western suburban privates as I do "home and home" with friends.  The only courses that I would want to play every week over the Glen Club are Skokie, Shoreacres and maybe Old Elm.  And, only Skokie and maybe Glen View have the length and difficulty needed for college tournaments.   

What the Glen Club charges is in line with (actually a bit lower than) what the North Shore privates charge their members for having guests out - usually between $200 to $300.  Not many daily fees get to play those courses, but, if they do, it is an open issue whether it is worth paying that much for a round at, say, Evanston, Westmoreland, Sunset Ridge, North Shore CC, etc. All well-manicured and fun tracks, but ....

There are reasons why the PGA Tour was considering it for the PGA-BMW before giving it to Conway Farms and why the Korn-Ferry Tour has played its Chicago event for the past 3-4 years.

It is a course that can be set up very tough, but also is highly accessible (as is the case with most Tom Fazio courses) for middling to high handicap golfers. No forced carry, no approach over water (unless you are going for 2 on par-5s), large 'country club speed" greens (with a lot of undulation though), large bailout areas on tough par 3s, etc.  

Last time I played there, they have 4 tees and the scorecard allows 5 or 6 combo tees. 

On 10/17/2022 at 1:02 PM, ChiTownNairnGolfer said:

The Glen Club is a great championship track by Tom Fazio that many daily fee players tend to misunderstand. 

TGC is not a public course in the same sense that daily fee-reliant clubs like Dubsdread, Cantigny, Harborside, etc. are.  The Glen Club would have been a private course, but for the fact that it is sitting on a piece of public land.  So, it cannot be private.  It is a corporate membership club with public access.

It is a country club lite, and offers a full private club golf menu - multi-day member-guests, club championships, summer leagues, members' only range, short-game practice areas (not available to daily fees), winter greens, etc.  Northwestern golf teams practice and play there. 

I read somewhere 75% of the rounds are played by corporate members, about 15% by members' guests and less than 10% by daily fees.  So, it can and does charge a lot for public golfers who can pay the fees.  

I belong to a couple of clubs in the area and played nearly all of the top North Shore and western suburban privates as I do "home and home" with friends.  The only courses that I would want to play every week over the Glen Club are Skokie, Shoreacres and maybe Old Elm.  And, only Skokie and maybe Glen View have the length and difficulty needed for college tournaments.   

What the Glen Club charges is in line with (actually a bit lower than) what the North Shore privates charge their members for having guests out - usually between $200 to $300.  Not many daily fees get to play those courses, but, if they do, it is an open issue whether it is worth paying that much for a round at, say, Evanston, Westmoreland, Sunset Ridge, North Shore CC, etc. All well-manicured and fun tracks, but ....

There are reasons why the PGA Tour was considering it for the PGA-BMW before giving it to Conway Farms and why the Korn-Ferry Tour has played its Chicago event for the past 3-4 years.

It is a course that can be set up very tough, but also is highly accessible (as is the case with most Tom Fazio courses) for middling to high handicap golfers. No forced carry, no approach over water (unless you are going for 2 on par-5s), large 'country club speed" greens (with a lot of undulation though), large bailout areas on tough par 3s, etc.  

Last time I played there, they have 4 tees and the scorecard allows 5 or 6 combo tees. 

This reasoning makes sense. The Glen Club is obviously not hurting for business, otherwise, things would have changed. However, this isn't a relatable explanation for 95% of golfers here. I don't think anyone understands paying a 'guest' fee at a private club. Furthermore, 9/10 the member covers the guest fee. No sense going into non-member guest fees 🙃

Even if The Glen Club has great facilities, service, fast pace of play, etc. you will have people here saying it's not worth it.

• Thanks 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10* Ventus Blue TR

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15* Tensei Blue

Callaway Rogue ST LS 18* Tensei Blue

Ping G425 22* Tensei CK Pro Orange

Titleist T100 5-PW ProjectX LZ

Titleist SM6 50S

Callaway JAWS MD5 56W

Callaway JAWS MD5 60X

3 hours ago, sleuth said:

This reasoning makes sense. The Glen Club is obviously not hurting for business, otherwise, things would have changed. However, this isn't a relatable explanation for 95% of golfers here. I don't think anyone understands paying a 'guest' fee at a private club. Furthermore, 9/10 the member covers the guest fee. No sense going into non-member guest fees 🙃

Even if The Glen Club has great facilities, service, fast pace of play, etc. you will have people here saying it's not worth it.

I have no interest in playing the Glen Club probably ever again. I have never been to a more pretentious golf course in my life. I know it probably isn't fair to lump them all together, but every "member" I interacted with there acted like they were members at Butler or Chicago not a public course. I've played those two, Evanston, Olympia, Rich Harvest, Beverly, Black sheep etc. Everyone at those courses were great. 

They seemed to really hate that non members play there.  I wanted to tell them all to calm down, you have a membership to a daily fee course, if you don't want non members on the course buck up and join a real club. 

A shame because the course is above average. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mci711 said:

I have no interest in playing the Glen Club probably ever again. I have never been to a more pretentious golf course in my life. I know it probably isn't fair to lump them all together, but every "member" I interacted with there acted like they were members at Butler or Chicago not a public course. I've played those two, Evanston, Olympia, Rich Harvest, Beverly, Black sheep etc. Everyone at those courses were great. 

They seemed to really hate that non members play there.  I wanted to tell them all to calm down, you have a membership to a daily fee course, if you don't want non members on the course buck up and join a real club. 

A shame because the course is above average. 

I play there often enough with my member friends that I have met a fair number of the members. The guys I have met have been pretty cool.  

That said, like you said, some blame occasional slow play and unrepaired ball marks and unfilled divots on daily fee players.  Not sure that is entirely true.  

I jokingly tell them the same thing you said - pony up the money and join a “real private club” if you don’t want to deal with daily fee golfers.  

Of course, they have to pay 100k to 150k for the downstroke and 20-25k per year at least.  Glen is around 15K to 20K to join and 10k a year, I think.  

I still like the track a lot, and my buddies there are quite happy with the place.

• 3 weeks later...