2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Disappointments at Goodwills

Hey guys, just a few thoughts about thrift stores in general. I live in the Charlotte, NC area and there are literally dozens of thrift stores here to choose from. Everything from Goodwill, Salvation Army, Consignment 1st, and many other smaller thrifts are in my immediate area. Add to that, the Spartanburg-Greenville area, the WinstonSalem-Greensboro area, and the Columbia area are all short drives away. My job allows me to have a couple of off days during the week. I usually take those days to go exploring. So on those free days, I usually hit 8-10 thrifts in search of vintage golf clubs, vintage stereo equipment, and older vinyl record albums. Most of the time, probably 85%-90%, I come home empty handed. Sometimes it gets really frustrating, even though I know that I'm not entitled to find any goodies. Yesterday, the wife and daughter took our annual trip to Columbia, SC to the University of South Carolina Gamecocks fan appreciation day. Great event with a chance to get autographs on school issued football schedule posters, take photos, and meet & greet with the coaches. I always take the opportunity to hit a few thrifts while in the area. I usually rush through these as the wife & daughter sit in the car while I go in. As usual, after a couple of Goodwills, I wasn't finding anything worth buying. Then the pictures below happened. Goodwill lightning strikes. At the outrageous cost of $0.75, I bought this beauty. Magcregor M09 Jumbo LFF driver. All original including the shaft and grip. First really good golf club I have purchased from a thrift in a long time. So everyone take heart, there are still deals out there to be had!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, just a few thoughts about thrift stores in general. I live in the Charlotte, NC area and there are literally dozens of thrift stores here to choose from. Everything from Goodwill, Salvation Army, Consignment 1st, and many other smaller thrifts are in my immediate area. Add to that, the Spartanburg-Greenville area, the WinstonSalem-Greensboro area, and the Columbia area are all short drives away. My job allows me to have a couple of off days during the week. I usually take those days to go exploring. So on those free days, I usually hit 8-10 thrifts in search of vintage golf clubs, vintage stereo equipment, and older vinyl record albums. Most of the time, probably 85%-90%, I come home empty handed. Sometimes it gets really frustrating, even though I know that I'm not entitled to find any goodies. Yesterday, the wife and daughter took our annual trip to Columbia, SC to the University of South Carolina Gamecocks fan appreciation day. Great event with a chance to get autographs on school issued football schedule posters, take photos, and meet & greet with the coaches. I always take the opportunity to hit a few thrifts while in the area. I usually rush through these as the wife & daughter sit in the car while I go in. As usual, after a couple of Goodwills, I wasn't finding anything worth buying. Then the pictures below happened. Goodwill lightning strikes. At the outrageous cost of $0.75, I bought this beauty. Magcregor M09 Jumbo LFF driver. All original including the shaft and grip. First really good golf club I have purchased from a thrift in a long time. So everyone take heart, there are still deals out there to be had!

Well, in the famous words of Mr. Armour..."LET THE F.CKER FLY"!!!

Congratulations on your find!!!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Nice find on the "LFF" driver. Now this is just my opinion FWIW--- The split soles you can have all them you want I can dig to China with them

Really it has been dry around here for me as far as the thrifts go. I stopped by my local GW yesterday after church because with my new church it is on the way home. Nothing absolutely nothing but junky clones and old plastic headed driver and fairways. Not even any good shafts in the POS clubs. All we have been getting on the yard lately is junk. No bags at my GW either. Seems like WHEN I hit it I hit it hard and stuff comes in droves--- So I sit in anticipation

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

my job lets me search the thrift shops also. I find amazing stuff all the time too. just picked up amint Wilson tour special 1 putter with original leather grip and shaft in perfect shape for 8$. these are just like a 8802 . there are so many thrifts in my city-you cant visit them all in a single day.

73 hogan apex

Outstanding finds!!!

Looks like we have the Palmetto State thrifts, at least the major metros covered Ice,

How does the team look this year? Not as much pre-season information coming down the pike since the Old Ball Coach, well, headed down the pike himself.

Went to the Garnet-Black game this spring. Either our offense is going to be awesome or the defense is going to be terrible. Bentley lit up the first string D for four touchdowns in the first half. I know it was just a scrimmage and he was off limits to the defense but he looked a lot more mature than a true sophomore. Time will tell. I think the season opener against NC State here in Charlotte will set the tone for the rest of the season. On another note, ever visited to Middleton Place Plantation? I have a brother that works there.

Cosmic Find. looks to be in super original condition. congrats.

Uncle Bob

I had that same driver back in the day. Bought it off my high-school vice-principal at a yard sale at his house. He missed the insert quite a bit because the persimmon was dented on both sides. A lot of dents. It was quite erratic if you missed the insert but that thing was long if you hit it on the sweet spot.

Nice find!

• 3 weeks later...

Those are 85 remakes. They would be worth saving by someone who was learning to restore and refinish, as practice pieces. One wouldn't want to tackle a set of originals without some experience. I've got a $2 Hogan laminated driver that has benefited from just about every combination of paint, finish, clear coat and wood filler imaginable, in the last 10 years!

Logos are indeed pressed. Look pretty cool. Great thought on leaving them as is. Will do, at least for now.

all those need is a strip and re-clear to be mint. Maybe a tad of touch-up stain on the toe. Use a paint/lacquer stripper, scrape with wood stick, brush it clean with mineral spirits or thinner. Tack wipe, and rattle can clear it with satin or semi-gloss lacquer or poly

Logos are indeed pressed. Look pretty cool. Great thought on leaving them as is. Will do, at least for now.

all those need is a strip and re-clear to be mint. Maybe a tad of touch-up stain on the toe. Use a paint/lacquer stripper, scrape with wood stick, brush it clean with mineral spirits or thinner. Tack wipe, and rattle can clear it with satin or semi-gloss lacquer or poly

"Any job worth doing should be done right"

My grandfather was a brick mason, and I learned that lesson long, long ago. It served me well when I started my club building/repair business when I was but a wee young lad, BITD.

FWIW, the driver looks like someone took the sole plate off, not knowing what they were doing, and there appears to be some gapping between the face and soleplate. I agree with Ol Pardner that this would be the perfect set to take apart and learn how to restore them to their original condiition.

Also, FWIW - when putting the new top coat of finish on the club, I always prefer to dip. Heat a pan of water to boiling, and once it reached that temp, uncover your poly, set the can in the water, being careful not to get water in the can, and let the heat of the water "thin" the poly. After about 3-4 minutes, and assuming the club head is all prepped, dip the head into the poly, and let it stay in there for about 10-15 seconds, then pull it out. This allows the poly to get into any small crevices that a spray simply won't reach. If you feel like it, after it has set the approptiate time, prep it for another coat. This type of finish will last at least your lifetime, assuming you aren't pounding balls with this club everyday.

If you decide to do this project HG, take pics along the way...or, at least the finished project. Would love to see these in like new condition again.