2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Move to Minneapolis, MN? Thoughts!

osubuckeyes691

Being considered for a promotion with my current company. Job requires a move to Minneapolis. I've never been to the city so fire some thoughts at me! Good. Bad. I would love to hear what people think.

Currently living in Columbus, OH for reference

Thanks!

Titleist TSR2 - TPT Nitro 16lo
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Tensei 1k Black 85tx
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Cobra Tec Hybrid 2 - Kai'li 90tx

Cobra Tec Hybrid 4 - Aldila Tour Black 105tx
Srixon ZX5/ZX& Mkii 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Callaway Jaws Raw 50s, 54s, 58z - BGT ZNE 130

Putter - LAB something or another

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a few minutes to post while I wait at a govt office.

One of the only cities to have all professional sports (Vikings, Twins, Wolves, Wild, MLS, WNBA and a major university. Underrated food city. Lots of focus on the arts if that's your thing.

There is a neighborhood for everyone in or around the twin cities.

Lots of options for public and private golf. Although I prefer the east metro for public. Of course the season is a bit shorter. It's been advertised as having more golfers per pop than any state.

Negative. For the most part the "Minnesota Nice" thing is not true. Minnesotans tend to be friendly and willing to assist when needed but overall they are passive aggressive and cliqey. Because many stick to their pack, outsiders can have a difficult time making friends.

With an abundance of Fortune 500 companies there is surplus of transplants that annoyingly boast about their favorite college team at every office. So if you are a bragging buckeye then you aren't needed... But I guess it's better than a badger or Hawkeye. Sarcasm.

Wow,

I grew up in Minneapolis, still have all my family and many friends there. I think it is a wonderful city and great place to raise a family. Majority of it is very clean and nice suburbs and school system. Very nice open spaces and trails, healthy, active lifestyle. I believe it is rated as one of the best cities to live in the U.S. I have always found the people very friendly and welcoming. Many people are from different places due to the great business climate and Fortune 500 companies, many are transplants just as you would be. Fine public golf, lakes and northern Minnesota is beautiful.

That being said, winters can be brutal and long. Most people try and make the most of it by cross country skiing, snowmobiling, skating...etc. If I was ever to move back to the midwest, it would be back to Minneapolis, but again, that was home to me for 30 years and I may be biased.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
Callaway Rogue 5 wood
Callaway 4/5 Hybrid
Callaway Apex 6-GW
Callaway Mack Daddy 52/56 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Monterey

My daughter went to school up there and is finishing her masters and is going to stay there and work. It has all the major sports. Lots of great neighborhoods, a great music scene, lots of good restaurants, people seem very friendly and people embrace the winter there. My wife and I enjoy visiting there and have even thought about moving there. There are plenty of golf courses and 2nd Swing golf has 2 locations to buy and sell clubs which if you're on this site is extremely important.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

I live in the Columbus area as well as I was born here. I had always loved what I hear of Minnesota even though I had not been there, but went to high school and college in Buffalo so I'm used to rough winters. So anyway, back in the early 90's I had the chance to go to a week long training session/certification through work, and had several cities to pick from. The month of choice was February and I picked Minneapolis, of course people thought I was nuts. They were having a cold snap, and for that week I think the highest temp was -14 degrees.

Anyway I found the people to be wonderful, the food/restaurant choices to be great. I went to the Mall of America, and a highlight for me at the time, since I stayed until Sunday to make the flight cheaper, was that I got on a call waiting list on Saturday to get in to see 'A Prairie Home Companion', which at the time took like a year to get tickets for. But I got lucky, I think because the weather was so cold or something for a few people to show up, so I got to go to that show.

I can't speak for all of Minnesota, but Minneapolis was really nice, and so were all the people that I met. So for February at -14, I can imagine it must be much nicer in warmer weather. It was very clean, the people were nice, and treated me wonderfully well the entire time I was there.

I could never get a shot in MN.

You ask for a shot and you get a neat pour - you can't throw that down in a sip.

Admittedly this was about 15 years ago...

G430 LST 9* Ventus TR Black 6S

Darkspeed 15* 1K Pro White 70S

Black Ops 19*, 22* AV White 85S
ZX5 MkII (5-P) Modus3 105X
MG4 50,54,58 Modus3 125S

009M w/ Welded 1.5 Round Neck

Would you be working downtown?

Yes I would be working downtown!

I appreciate the responses from everyone! I've gotten some mixed feelings from people I know so I'm happy to have additional insights. We will see how it goes!

Titleist TSR2 - TPT Nitro 16lo
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Tensei 1k Black 85tx
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Cobra Tec Hybrid 2 - Kai'li 90tx

Cobra Tec Hybrid 4 - Aldila Tour Black 105tx
Srixon ZX5/ZX& Mkii 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Callaway Jaws Raw 50s, 54s, 58z - BGT ZNE 130

Putter - LAB something or another

Grew up in Columbus and moved to Phoenix a year ago. I have been to Minneapolis a few times in the past year for work. I haven't been able to see a ton of the city but have seen some of it. It seems like a pretty solid, nice, Midwest town. Actually reminds me a bit of Columbus (although I would say Columbus is cleaner and looks newer... not sure how important either of those are to you). Everyone from our Minneapolis office are super nice and have that typical Midwest vibe. Minneapolis actually reminds me quite a bit of Columbus but with a much better downtown.

One of my really good buddies who lives in Columbus grew up outside of Minneapolis and he loved it there. His wife, whom is from Columbus, really enjoys visiting there and talks it up quite a bit. They are people I generally trust as we have very similar tastes.

I would say from what I have seen, yes, it's a pretty decent food city... but Columbus is better in that department. Columbus has great, diverse, culinary scene which has been rapidly growing for 15 years now. Outside of Chicago I don't think there is a better food city in the Midwest than Columbus. Having all of the major sports right there is fun if you are into that sort of thing (I know moving to Phoenix that has added an element. Sometimes when we are bored and don't have much to do we will grab tickets on stubhub to the DBacks or Suns games).

I would think ultimately the biggest factors will be the weather and moving away from family and friends. It's def. colder than Columbus. Winter is significantly longer than Columbus. There is a lot more snow than Columbus. And the golf season is shorter. For me, that's a nonstarter (hence moving to the desert). But if it's a good opportunity that you don't want to pass up then you make the sacrifice.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Being considered for a promotion with my current company. Job requires a move to Minneapolis. I've never been to the city so fire some thoughts at me! Good. Bad. I would love to hear what people think.

Thanks!

What do you want to know? I worked for the Twins downtown for a couple years. Downtown is where the nightlife is...but lately they've been having some issues down there.

I'll stay away from poltiics because that isn't allowed here, so...yeah. We can't talk about it outside of that.

Favorite golf course of all time - easily - is Donald Ross designed WBYC. It is a ways away from Minneapolis (maybe 20 miles?...really not too bad) but it's a private.

Then, if you get a chance, play Keller - one of the only two (I think) public courses in America that has actually held a major. It's my 1B of my favorite golf courses of all time, it's just a fantastic gem. Yes they remodeled it recently and a few of the holes are entirely different than the course that held a PGA, LPGA regular stop and as I stated, the PGA Championship a couple times.

WBYC is private but there is a website out there where you can purchase rounds - at an obscene price, but still...

I'm a St. Paul kid, born and raised, so my Minneapolis knowledge isn't as in-depth, although as I said I have worked downtown - most beautiful buildings arguably in the entire country.

It's very diverse in Minneapolis.

If you have any specific questions, shoot...

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

Thanks!

What do you want to know? I worked for the Twins downtown for a couple years. Downtown is where the nightlife is...but lately they've been having some issues down there.

I'll stay away from poltiics because that isn't allowed here, so...yeah. We can't talk about it outside of that.

Favorite golf course of all time - easily - is Donald Ross designed WBYC. It is a ways away from Minneapolis (maybe 20 miles?...really not too bad) but it's a private.

Then, if you get a chance, play Keller - one of the only two (I think) public courses in America that has actually held a major. It's my 1B of my favorite golf courses of all time, it's just a fantastic gem. Yes they remodeled it recently and a few of the holes are entirely different than the course that held a PGA, LPGA regular stop and as I stated, the PGA Championship a couple times.

WBYC is private but there is a website out there where you can purchase rounds - at an obscene price, but still...

I'm a St. Paul kid, born and raised, so my Minneapolis knowledge isn't as in-depth, although as I said I have worked downtown - most beautiful buildings arguably in the entire country.

Maybe one of 2 muni courses to host a major. A bunch of public courses have hosted majors (Whistling, Kiawah, Pebble, Bethpage, Chambers, Pinehurst... just to name a few from recent years).

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Thanks!

Maybe one of 2 muni courses to host a major. A bunch of public courses have hosted majors (Whistling, Kiawah, Pebble, Bethpage, Chambers, Pinehurst... just to name a few from recent years).

Yeah. I think that's right. One of only two municipal courses. Greens fees are pretty cheap there fore a course that has its clubhouse (recently remodeled as well) covered with pictures of legends like Snead, Palmer, Hogan and more that have played there.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

Grew up in Columbus and moved to Phoenix a year ago. I have been to Minneapolis a few times in the past year for work. I haven't been able to see a ton of the city but have seen some of it. It seems like a pretty solid, nice, Midwest town. Actually reminds me a bit of Columbus (although I would say Columbus is cleaner and looks newer... not sure how important either of those are to you). Everyone from our Minneapolis office are super nice and have that typical Midwest vibe. Minneapolis actually reminds me quite a bit of Columbus but with a much better downtown.

One of my really good buddies who lives in Columbus grew up outside of Minneapolis and he loved it there. His wife, whom is from Columbus, really enjoys visiting there and talks it up quite a bit. They are people I generally trust as we have very similar tastes.

I would say from what I have seen, yes, it's a pretty decent food city... but Columbus is better in that department. Columbus has great, diverse, culinary scene which has been rapidly growing for 15 years now. Outside of Chicago I don't think there is a better food city in the Midwest than Columbus. Having all of the major sports right there is fun if you are into that sort of thing (I know moving to Phoenix that has added an element. Sometimes when we are bored and don't have much to do we will grab tickets on stubhub to the DBacks or Suns games).

I would think ultimately the biggest factors will be the weather and moving away from family and friends. It's def. colder than Columbus. Winter is significantly longer than Columbus. There is a lot more snow than Columbus. And the golf season is shorter. For me, that's a nonstarter (hence moving to the desert). But if it's a good opportunity that you don't want to pass up then you make the sacrifice.

Minneapolis is rated higher than Columbus in terms of food cities from every publication I've read. Those ratings are of course opinion of the publication/writer. I'm sure they are both great in that regard, probably a non issue when making a decision.

Minneapolis is across the river from the other "Twin City," Saint Paul. While Minneapolis has some historic buildings, for the most part it's modern as tear down and replace is much more common. In my opinion saint Pauls character is more charming. It really depends what you're into.

The past two years have been outstanding for golf season compared to average playing in both DEC and FEB but that is not normal. Typical golf season is April - October, with a round or two in Mar, Nov if you're lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed on St. Paul as having a bit more soul, so you have some options. I find it hard to believe Columbus over Mpls for food, the scene is fantastic. Great schools in Minnesota, though that's true in Columbus as well. I don't think you'd see much of a cost differential, Mpls is higher than most other midwestern cities. Definitely would need a solid winter hobby.