Any other hikers, backpackers, campers out there?

One_Putt_Blunder

Will be hiking Pillbox in Oahu next weekend, cannot wait. Plan on taking my semi vintage Vasque boots...

We'll be there in two weeks, glad they got it re opened on time. Pretty easy little hike with great views, just watch your footing on the way down especially if it is wet.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Will be hiking Pillbox in Oahu next weekend, cannot wait. Plan on taking my semi vintage Vasque boots...

We'll be there in two weeks, glad they got it re opened on time. Pretty easy little hike with great views, just watch your footing on the way down especially if it is wet.

Ill be getting a round in at Klipper too, super excited!!!

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Nice, Cinnamons in Kailua a solid breakfast spot before or after your hike.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Thanks for the tip

Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Thanks for the tip

Another one for parking as on street parking near the trail is pretty much limited or ticketed. We park at Kailua beach park parking across from buzz's and walk up adds a mile or so of easy walking but avoids a ticket

Kailua Beach Park Parking

412-444 Kawailoa Rd, Kailua, HI 96734 https://g.co/kgs/ZJSChg

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Another one for parking as on street parking near the trail is pretty much limited or ticketed. We park at Kailua beach park parking across from buzz's and walk up adds a mile or so of easy walking but avoids a ticket

We're also thinking about this

http://www.bohemiantravelers.com/2013/06/how-to-find-sea-turtles-in-oahu-hawaii.html

Seemore mFGP2 

http://www.bohemiantravelers.com/2013/06/how-to-find-sea-turtles-in-oahu-hawaii.html

Not the most tourist friendly on the west side out by Makaha. As long as you show respect shouldn't be an issue. Meaning don't touch the Honu or get too close in or out of the water. Laniakea more popular up on north shore but it's hit or miss depending on surf conditions and crowded daily. Haleiwa beach another lower key good spot if surf calm plus it gives you the chance to hit up matsumotos and the Clark Little Gallery. Can also hike along the beach out towards Kaena point prob see Honu plus seals.

Anywhere on the island do not leave anything in the car especially in plain view. Worst case put non valuables in the trunk.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Not the most tourist friendly on the west side out by Makaha. As long as you show respect shouldn't be an issue. Meaning don't touch the Honu or get too close in or out of the water. Laniakea more popular up on north shore but it's hit or miss depending on surf conditions and crowded daily. Haleiwa beach another lower key good spot if surf calm plus it gives you the chance to hit up matsumotos and the Clark Little Gallery. Can also hike along the beach out towards Kaena point prob see Honu plus seals.

Anywhere on the island do not leave anything in the car especially in plain view. Worst case put non valuables in the trunk.

. Good to know thanks

Seemore mFGP2 

Well pillbox was absolutely worth it

34zgcg9.jpg

Seemore mFGP2 

I forgot that you mentioned this but we did end up there for breakfast one morning. It was incredible.

Seemore mFGP2 

I forgot that you mentioned this but we did end up there for breakfast one morning. It was incredible.

Awesome the place is pretty solid. We head over tomorrow morning, Maui first then Oahu. Staying up in the North Shore just north of Haleiwa, but will spend at least a day in Kailua area for Pillbox+ lanikai brewing + lanikai beach also playing Kaneohe with a fellow wrxer who is active duty.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Awesome the place is pretty solid. We head over tomorrow morning, Maui first then Oahu. Staying up in the North Shore just north of Haleiwa, but will spend at least a day in Kailua area for Pillbox+ lanikai brewing + lanikai beach also playing Kaneohe with a fellow wrxer who is active duty.

Excellent, Kaneohe currently has hole two with a fairway green. The real green took a beating in the storm.

Safe travels

Seemore mFGP2 

I just got back from a long weekend in Lake Tahoe and we were able to do a couple hikes (see pics). I really loved it. I have also done a few in the Asheville, NC area while there for work in the past. I wish I lived in a better area for hiking because I would definitely do it more often!

Waihee Ridge Trail Maui. 2.2 miles to the top 1600 feet of gain 91 degrees and 90% humidity = brutal

Dn6yxjYU4AA7LwK.jpg

Dn6yszdU8AEqCv5.jpg

Dn6ytn1UwAE0WXR.jpg

Dn6yufyV4AAoPVk.jpg

Haleakala National Park 10,000 feet above Maui

Dn14fBRU8AA-daU.jpg

Dn14gbUUYAA9MrF.jpg

Lanikai Pillbox trail Oahu

DoIW07TVAAA5JM4.jpg

The beach in at the airbnb in Maui. She came up almost every day and there were about 5-10 others offshore

DnvOrErUYAAXmhg.jpg

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

DoIW07TVAAA5JM4.jpg

Looks familiar :)

did you play Klipper?

Seemore mFGP2 

DoIW07TVAAA5JM4.jpg

did you play Klipper?

Unfortunately not, the gov't actually made my buddy work so he could not make it. Weather was pretty bad in the morning would have probably been rained out anyway.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

DoIW07TVAAA5JM4.jpg

did you play Klipper?

Unfortunately not, the gov't actually made my buddy work so he could not make it. Weather was pretty bad in the morning would have probably been rained out anyway.

Ah bummer

Seemore mFGP2 

Some final pickups before starting the AZ trail this weekend.

DoovRYyU4AEOPGK.jpg

Got a long day ahead of me Sunday. Ill actually be starting at mile two. the first two miles is actually a back track down to the border and back to the TH so Ill just knock that out Saturday real quick to avoid the hassle of having to backtrack. There is an optional 1 mile round trip detour and 500 more feet of climbing to summit Miller Peak at 9470. Right now the forecast is not good winds pushing 40+ on summit and lows in the 30's so I might have to skip that part.

01_HuachucaMountains.jpg

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Passage one of AZT done.

Saturday 3.7 miles down to the Mexico Border and back to the trailhead. Did this for the AZ Trail in a day event they hosted. Also since it is a backtrack made sense to get this out of way to avoid doubling back

Do9TJHeV4AA0MVY.jpg

Sunday 19 miles little over 4k AEG 6am Start 3:15pm Finish. Wind 30-45 steady 50-60 gusts. Damp enough that I hiked with wet feet for 10+ miles. Which reminds me to go get some Goretex shoes.

Do9T8wxUwAAZXhD.jpg

Do9T9jQUUAAtQK8.jpg

Do9T_HuUwAA9lpc.jpg

Do9UnIfU8AI2c3i.jpg

Do9Uot3VAAAKrzD.jpgDo9U5KjUYAE3CoS.jpg

Looking back over the mountains I just walked up and over.

Do9VLEKU4AAb35-.jpg

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Final weekend numbers. Missed about .9 of a mile and 700 feet of elevation gain on the big one cause I forgot to hit start on my alltrails app

DpCIz0hU0AETgkj.jpg

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Passage 2 completed. Passage 3 bailed on. This weekend the wind was replaced by rain and a lot of it. Rained on me most of the day Saturday feet got soaked pretty much from the beginning. Completed the 14.5 miles of passage two was so wet and miserable decided to set up camp right at the trailhead for passage 3 instead of the original plan of hiking in 2.5 miles into passage 3 and camping overlooking a nice meadow and stock tank. Had camp set up and a fire going by 3:45 by 5:15 the rain came back and just never stopped until about 5:00am. Woke up around 5:30 rolled out of the tent around 6:30 walked up passage 3 for a hundred yards or so looked at the skies which were really dark and stormy looked at the soaking wet grass and said nope, packed up camp went into town, grabbed some breakfast and headed home early. Thankfully had a free day planned next weekend so wont lose any time off my overall schedule.

Pace wise overall did pretty good averaged 2.5mph carrying 28lbs in my pack over some pretty solid rolling terrain.

DpfsrGiUwAAWcLC.jpg

DpfrG0xVsAA0acC.jpg

DpfrIMpUYAAQddc.jpg

DpfrI8BU0AIemai.jpg

DpfrVJRU0AAwzZg.jpg

DpfrVysU4AENqm2.jpg

not even the biggest pile of bear scat I ran across

DpfsPsCV4AAoDK1.jpg

Clouds broke just enough to offer up this view approaching the high point of the trail.

Dpfso_kUUAAO6xM.jpg

Trying to dry out and eat, sadly about 2 min after this I had to retreat to the truck to finish my meal cause the rain came in

Dpf8Nm1VsAAInqf.jpg

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Good to see some dirt on that new truck!

That was the first morning with only a handful of mile on a FS road, you should have seen it the next day, took 3 trips through the car wash to get it all off

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Rather oddball weather day on Saturday, The remains of hurricane Bud blew into to town and gave us our first rain in over 100 days, also dropped the temps from 105 down to 73 degrees. I headed up to Toms Thumb for a quick 4.4 mile hike 1200 feet gain. Crazy thing was for one of the busiest trails in town on a pretty much perfect except some drizzle I was the only person at the thumb for a good 15-20 min. So I set up my chair on a boulder overlooking the North and enjoyed the views. Even though I have gone down this trail I had yet to climb it mostly because it is the easiest shortest and busiest way to get to the thumb. There are some amazing boulders and rock formations.

Df2nD3ZVAAA6znm.jpg

Df2nCBSVQAE8KZA.jpg

Df2nDAyU8AAhChQ.jpg

Df2nBBtUcAE4b0X.jpg

Looks like Easter Islands distant cousin.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

Covered 30 Miles and knocked off 2 more passages this weekend. Passage 3 and 4. The actual passages are longer however there is about 15 miles of on road hiking that no one does unless they have no other choice. The trail association is looking at creating a single track re route of this section to stay off the roadways. If they do that I will go back and hike it. I have talked a few folks that have completed the trail and they all said not to cover that stretch if you dont have to.

Start with Passage 3 13.8 miles through the rolling high desert hills around 5000 feet.

DqFRsgiUwAAUuJz.jpg

DqFRtomU8AAEiNQ.jpg

DqFRuvNV4AAfhss.jpg

DqFRv9iU0AAJIoR.jpg

DqFSESDV4AAa4NY.jpg

DqFSIHrU4AEzykj.jpg

DqFSG3lUcAA8mFH.jpg

DqFSFUzUcAE4MMM.jpg

DqFScIqVAAAJf_s.jpg

DqFSdY9UcAEX9RN.jpg

DqFSfCOU4AENnxq.jpg

DqFS2TwU8AAiMPN.jpg

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Passage 4. starts around 4200 feet, Winds back uphill towards Mt Wrightson(pics of that summit posted earlier this spring) then after cresting a saddle at 6500 feet drops down to 5600 and winds around the foothills staying fairly level eventually finishes off at 5200 feet on Gardner Canyon road.

Started the hike from Temporal Gulch TH about 6.5 miles in the forest road. From here the forest road changes from graded road to unmaintained jeep road. In all honesty the Tacoma would have easily made it the additional 5 miles up the road to where the single track starts. Starts off gradual up hill then you have two but kicking climbs one about 800 feet followed by a descent then a 1k climb to the saddle in just under a mile. After that it is pretty smooth sailing.

DqFTS2_VYAUbK5t.jpg

You can see the road I hiked up bellow this is the smaller of the two climbs

DqFTWW4VsAAH8h8.jpg

Reach the end of the road and start of the single track and start of the 1k gainer. Roughly 10 miles left at this point.

DqFT1AxUUAMoc3J.jpg

Plenty of good water on this passage. The fall rains we have had have been tremendous for restocking the water sources.

DqFT2nAU0AAcg8w.jpg

Up on top of the saddle

DqFT5ViU0AAr1hc.jpg

DqFUZ_HUwAEMM6W.jpg

DqFUbfhUcAACQj5.jpg

The final 3-4 miles comes with a bit of a history lesson about failed gold mining in the area

DqFUqUvUUAA8rPU.jpg

DqFUtB6UwAAsRaB.jpg

DqFUrXnV4AAngv_.jpg

DqFU7jfU8AA3G8W.jpg

DqFU86zU4AE0RxH.jpg

DqFUuTkU0AEPnsJ.jpg

I was cooking the last 10 miles I knew the forecast was afternoon Thunderstorms. With about 3 miles to go and it being 12:45 I could see the clouds building and made it back to the truck about 5 min before the rain came. Then the ride home got real interesting driving through rain wind hail and dust.

DqFVNP6VYAAl_ie.jpg

This is the 3rd hail storm the truck has been through in 2 months of ownership. thankfully not a single dent.

DqEgjUNXQAUxGUx.jpg

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Welp, looks like everything is on hold currently. Had a plan to complete 45 or so miles this weekend, unfortunately my ankle gave out at mile 2.3. From there I pretty much had to self rescue to get to the closest spot my buddy could bring the truck which was as mile 3.8. It was a painful slow 1.5 miles out. Not wanting to give in I tried icing it at the truck, no such luck. Still stubborn I decided we should set up camp back on passage 4 and see if it was better in the morning. Unfortunately it was not better and even worse today. Going to see the doc tomorrow to get it checked out but thinking grade 2 ligament sprain as the best case scenario.

So here is a couple miles of Passage 5 up to Kentucky Camp where my buddy was waiting with the truck, and our campsite for the night.

DqikxCJXcAEJ1nq.jpg

Dqik0vTXcAc0m1_.jpg

DqilNL_XcAEUMnm.jpg

DqilOSNXcAIiJpC.jpg

DqilPXAX4AIuE4C.jpg

DqilQaWXQAMOCgC.jpg

DqileLGX0AYulz9.jpg

Pretty much gutted at this point.

DqikRptWkAIjDhF.jpg

Camp for the night tried icing it in the freezing cold water

DqikS1VXQAA-wT3.jpg

DqikT9_W4AEyhPu.jpg

One plus was we had the chance to go check a remote trailhead on the backside of Mt Wrightson for a future backpack up to saddle with a day or two to explore the summit and surrounding crest lines.

DqilgImXcAADmlQ.jpg

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120