2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Blasphemy or a Period Correct solution?

Question for the group, I have a complete set of Hogan PowerThrusts that has been cobbled together. I recently found a set of 1963 Wilson Staff Dynapower Turfriders with beautiful leather grips and some very nice Wilson shafts. I am considering taking the shafts from these to use on the Hogans. Pretty sure they would fit with a bit of encouragement, but the larger question is would that look cheesy. Would it be better to just find some TT Dynamics or something else than mix Wilson with Hogan? I also may feel a bit guilty about taking apart this set of Wilsons since it really is a nice looking set, but man, those matching shafts and grips are a very nice.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knew quite a few players that back in the day used to put Hogan Apex shafts in other manufacturer's clubs- to the point that Ben Hogan himself allegedly sent out a strongly worded admonition to those with Hogan accounts threatening if caught selling shafts for non-Hogan clubs, accounts would no longer exist. Hogan's feelings not withstanding, use whatever works for you- have witnessed many players shoot great scores with "Frankenstein" clubs in the bag.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Do you like the way the shafts in the Staffs play? For me, that would be the big thing. I get the aesthetics of the old leather grips, but steel shafts have come a long way in the last 50 years.

Another point to consider: Is the bottom of the bore to ground measurement the same in both clubheads? If they're different, you could end up with longer or shorter playing length. I once pulled an old 7 iron shaft to reuse from a broken set of Mac Tourneys my brother used to play and was shocked at how short the shaft length was due to the long hosel design of the Tourney head.

Nickent 4DX Evolver 10.5*  UST Proforce V2 HL 60R

Ping G5 13.5*                  Aerotech Power Coil 50S                        

Innovex RLS 17* 4W    Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Tipped R

Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4H   Litespeed R

Adams A7 5-GW   UST Proforce 85R

Golfsmith/Spalding Cash-In 55/12 SW    Cleveland Action Lite S     

Cleveland TA 900 gunmetal 60*  Nicklaus Driveshaft R+

Maltby Top Site TS-6  putter 41"

Do you like the way the shafts in the Staffs play? For me, that would be the big thing. I get the aesthetics of the old leather grips, but steel shafts have come a long way in the last 50 years.

Another point to consider: Is the bottom of the bore to ground measurement the same in both clubheads? If they're different, you could end up with longer or shorter playing length. I once pulled an old 7 iron shaft to reuse from a broken set of Mac Tourneys my brother used to play and was shocked at how short the shaft length was due to the long hosel design of the Tourney head.

Looks like the hosel on the Staffs is about an inch shorter than than the PowerThrusts so I guessing they would need trimmed about an inch, or leave than as is and bring them up to a more modern length. That is most likely what I would do. Probably a good idea to take them out and hit them however.

Looks like the hosel on the Staffs is about an inch shorter than than the PowerThrusts so I guessing they would need trimmed about an inch, or leave than as is and bring them up to a more modern length. That is most likely what I would do. Probably a good idea to take them out and hit them however.

They're taper tip shafts, so any trimming would have to come from the butt end. If you can handle the extra length and swingweight, no reason it shouldn't work.

Nickent 4DX Evolver 10.5*  UST Proforce V2 HL 60R

Ping G5 13.5*                  Aerotech Power Coil 50S                        

Innovex RLS 17* 4W    Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Tipped R

Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4H   Litespeed R

Adams A7 5-GW   UST Proforce 85R

Golfsmith/Spalding Cash-In 55/12 SW    Cleveland Action Lite S     

Cleveland TA 900 gunmetal 60*  Nicklaus Driveshaft R+

Maltby Top Site TS-6  putter 41"

Knew quite a few players that back in the day used to put Hogan Apex shafts in other manufacturer's clubs- to the point that Ben Hogan himself allegedly sent out a strongly worded admonition to those with Hogan accounts threatening if caught, accounts would no longer exist. Hogan's feelings not withstanding, use whatever works for you- have witnessed many players shoot great scores with "Frankenstein" clubs in the bag.

Naaah disco he aint got to ask forgiveness for that heck I am a big proponent of "Frankenstein" clubs. Ask some of the guys around here I call my little shop in back "Stu's Rat Rod Golf Shop" which should say it all. My buddy the Miura dealer calls it "Stu's Little House of Horrors"

Like Mitchell says I have seen some low rounds shot with some "Frankenstein" clubs in a bag. I got exposed to that at an early age (Warning Hoganistas do not read it will make you sick) A popular conversion around Charlotte back in the day was Apex Shafts in Macgregor irons. I thought that was the only place it happened until one night it was mentioned here. I do remember my old man getting a copy of that famous letter from Mr Hogan his buddy in Eastern NC who was a Hogan dealer sent it to him. It did not stop anyone from that crowd. One of the hustlers ordered a brand new set of Hogan irons from the old man's friend. When they came they were promptly sent to Harold Dale's shop on Rozells Ferry Road in Charlotte disassembled and the shafts promptly put in a set of FC-4000s. And before anyone asks they are not my set mine have the stock Pro Pels that came in them. I actually saw the same thing done on a set of Spalding Bird on The Ball 67 Top Flites too. But yeah I have seen and done some "Frankenstein" set ups

BTW northplatte most of the hustlers in those days scraped the shaft bands off whether they did the modification or not. I learned at an early age to distinguish shafts by the step patterns and other tell tale signs

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Do I remember reading somewhere that the Staff Pro shafts were sequenced in pairs in the sets which included the Turfriders?

I understood this to mean that there wasn't one shaft dedicated to one club, ie 9 different shafts in the conventional set., but one shaft which covered 2 clubs.

I've likely got this around my hat..., but, in case I haven't, this might be an argument for not using Turfrider shafts as donors

I think it's well worthwhile. For play clubs it should be about quality and performance. I've used several Wilson putter shafts and grips on other clubs because that's what I can find the works well for me in the correct length. They've come out very well.

I think a lot of old shafts play really well, so while it's definitely worth a trial, I'd be very hopeful. Some of the True Temper shafts used in Macgregor woods in the 40s and early 50s were very sought after (and rare as they became special order only quite early) for play even in the Dynamic era. The Hogans have done very well as well, just ask Bernhard Langer.

You could also softstep the shafts to resolve the length issue. For example if there shafts will play 1" longer in the new clubs, but the 7 iron shaft in the 6 iron and it will only be 1/2" longer. That should weaken the flex by about 1/4 of a flex, but that could be good.

I think it's well worthwhile. For play clubs it should be about quality and performance. I've used several Wilson putter shafts and grips on other clubs because that's what I can find the works well for me in the correct length. They've come out very well.

I think a lot of old shafts play really well, so while it's definitely worth a trial, I'd be very hopeful. Some of the True Temper shafts used in Macgregor woods in the 40s and early 50s were very sought after (and rare as they became special order only quite early) for play even in the Dynamic era. The Hogans have done very well as well, just ask Bernhard Langer.

You could also softstep the shafts to resolve the length issue. For example if there shafts will play 1" longer in the new clubs, but the 7 iron shaft in the 6 iron and it will only be 1/2" longer. That should weaken the flex by about 1/4 of a flex, but that could be good.

Has been a change in plans on this, will leave the Wilson Staffs alone, will be pulling the shafts from a set of Haig Ultras instead. True Temper Dynamics with "S" on the label 2-PW. My only concern on these is that a couple of them have the slightest bend right down by the hosel. No creasing, but I can see a slight bit of sunlight where the ferrule meets the top of the hosel. Hoping they can be gently persuaded to a straight position. I have read it is not uncommon to see this on clubs where they are used by someone that takes a lot of turf on the strikes. Open to any suggestions on techniques to to straighten them out. I attached a picture of the shafts. I saw that there was someone that had these same shafts in a set of 1960's Power Thrusts from a fantastic posting called Rackmageddon ...

http://www.golfwrx.c...gan-iron-story/

Northplatte-

What's the year of the Haig Ultras?

People have gone the other way on this, putting Hogan shafts into Wilson irons. Have seen local players do it, and Big Stu has other examples.

The most notable name who did this is Bernhard Langer, who put Apex shafts into his Wilson Staff irons for the '93 Masters win.

It's been documented as to how Ben Hogan felt about it.

Northplatte-

What's the year of the Haig Ultras?

People have gone the other way on this, putting Hogan shafts into Wilson irons. Have seen local players do it, and Big Stu has other examples.

The most notable name who did this is Bernhard Langer, who put Apex shafts into his Wilson Staff irons for the '93 Masters win.

It's been documented as to how Ben Hogan felt about it.

They match these... so 1975\76, I had them listed and could not hardly give them away on Ebay, but then I realized a full set of matched stiff shafts 2-PW is worth much more than I was posting them for so I pulled them. You can see the slight bend in the 2, 3 and 4 iron in these pictures, like I said it is very slight, but would love to get them strait before I put them in the Power Thrusts

I think the Turfriders are one of the nicest playing Wilson sets so I wouldn't split them up if the shafts suit you! I'd just make sure they were in my gaming rotation and got played. That said, I'm all for tinkering with vintage gear to get it to play how you want. For me the joy is in the playing, not the admiring, and I have no qualms about shuffling heads/shafts around to get the performance I want.

• 2 weeks later...

you guys may expect an angry visit from hogans ghost

OK well I probably will because I did the deed Tuesday. I put a set of Apex 3s in the pristine set of VIPs Mitchell sent me a year or so ago. Now I did do one good deed I saved those funky looking Directors from the shredder to begin with. Someone in the Directors past had Frankensteined them too. Those shafts were #3 Apex and did not come in those clubs to begin with. When I pulled the Directors down I found the shafts had pins in them at one time and someone had simply ground them down and installed them in those non pinned Directors. In fact I hit those Directors last Friday and 2 of the irons had a rattle in them and it was from the pins coming loose. But I am seeking forgiveness from you Hoganistas because I am keeping the Grinds like they are and am looking for the missing 7 and 8 irons too for those. PLEEZE Mr Dan don't burn me at the stake.

I think Langer had Hogan shafts in Wilson heads, so you'd have been in good company attracting the ire of The Hawk.

Good because I like Langer anyhow and BTW Langer is one month to the day older than I am--- Now if I could just play like him

I bet those vip s play sweet with those apex 3 shafts. I have no issue there stu-as I also appreciate some mac iron desighns and own a few and greatly enjoy them too. I just don't find the mac line to be as consistently good across the board as hogans(with exceptions) I have a set of mac jnp irons in great condition but with s300 shafts . I need r300 or equal and might just re shaft these with apex 3 shafts this winter myself

73 hogan apex

you guys may expect an angry visit from hogans ghost

OK well I probably will because I did the deed Tuesday. I put a set of Apex 3s in the pristine set of VIPs Mitchell sent me a year or so ago. Now I did do one good deed I saved those funky looking Directors from the shredder to begin with. Someone in the Directors past had Frankensteined them too. Those shafts were #3 Apex and did not come in those clubs to begin with. When I pulled the Directors down I found the shafts had pins in them at one time and someone had simply ground them down and installed them in those non pinned Directors. In fact I hit those Directors last Friday and 2 of the irons had a rattle in them and it was from the pins coming loose. But I am seeking forgiveness from you Hoganistas because I am keeping the Grinds like they are and am looking for the missing 7 and 8 irons too for those. PLEEZE Mr Dan don't burn me at the stake.

I just put some Apex 3s in a set of Muirfield 20ths (haven't hit 'em yet), but because True Temper will send you shaft labels for free if you ask them, I'm the only one (apart from anyone reading this) that will ever know the difference :-)