Gear reviews/deals/activities

Warrick

It seems we have people all over the world, different climates, different hobbies and such.....

The "Hiking" thread made me think of this (thanks One-Putt)

I am sure there a lot of folks who do other activities, live in extreme climates and such. I thought it would be cool to have a place to discuss gear, reviews, deals to be had.

When I say "gear", am referring mostly to outdoor gear, cold/warm, hiking, running, skiing, climbing, biking, whatever. You could request reviews on certain things. I know you can get a lot of info of websites, but never quite sure who is writing that review, would seem to be a "better collective" here.

Anyway, I picked up some items recently, have not had a chance to test anything to extensively, but can throw up a few things to get it started.

Jackets

Mountain Hardwear DS StretchDown - 800 fill Nikwax - They finally made a decent looking "puffy" jacket with the different stitch pattern (supposed to trap more heat). Beautiful jacket, got the hooded black, and non-hooded grey. They fit snug in the chest, unless quite trim, may want to size up. Looks good, fits great (for me), quite warm, as you would expect. The only con, is the hooded one, hood sits a touch high for me (little guy), not a deal breaker. New release, but some deals can be had.

https://www.mountain...et-1732001.html

https://www.mountain...et-1749111.html

TNF Apex Flex GTX - 3L GTX Soft Shell, hooded, Velcro wrists, pit zips. This is one that I am surprised is not higher priced, has it all, other than not being thin and light enough to use as a pack shell, but not the intention. It's 3L GTX with stretch, and a perfect in between fit (reg/alpine). Obviously 100% water/wind proof, somewhat breathable, burly, a touch heavy. Nice adjustability on hood, can cinch down. I can slide this just over the slimmer new MH down jacket for ultimate combo. This is a winner IMO, also newer, but can find deals - got 2 of these also.

https://www.thenorth...jacket-nf0a2ve7

I have too many mid layers to review at the time, will get some up later.....lol

Pants

Mountain Hardwear Dragon SS - This is an alpine fit SS with wind/water repellent, nice stretch, adjustable waist, Kevlar seat, kickpatch, seems a good 3 season pant, can layer under - limited use so far.

https://www.mountain...nt-1649781.html The Orange are cool.

TNF Summit L4 SS Pant - This is a "slim fit" SS pant for sure, and I am thin, but great stretch, material seems bomb proof, adjustable waist, suspenders, adjustable ankles. This is really a climbing pant, but will be used for other outdoor activities, not a climber(yet). A great looking trim pant. Wind/water repellent. Again not a lot of use yet, but really liking them. It's Summit Series....

https://www.thenorth...-pants-nf0a37q1

Gloves

TNF Summit G3 - water resistant goat skin leather palm, SS backing, light insulation, snug fit, just a great glove that is not overly bulky, but still provides protection, still limited use.

I have more to post up late, some boots/mid/base layers.

I am not hard core mountain ice climber in any way, but live in upper Midwest, and try to get in some outdoor recreation, enjoy being out in the snow. You may find much more in depth reviews in places, like from some dude who just climbed Everest, but just thought this might be something different here.

I know Sunny Sports and Campmoor has some solid deals right now - campmoor has a 20% you can use on down jackets.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a buddy that I play golf with talked into to some winter hiking we are in the process of scoping out some trails at some of the bigger state parks around, stoked to get out more this winter.

Base layers

Most of my base stuff is UA, have 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, and 4.0 sets, along with some light flash dry TNF. UA stuff is really good, the 4.0 is not for use if very active, very warm. I have a couple normal fitted cold gear tops, including the turtleneck. I will wear the light base and then mid layer's if really cold.

Flash Dry is great, wicks really well.

Mid layers -

Some of my favorite pieces here, TNF Jakson jacket, pertex.primaloft body, Polartec sleeves, TNF Deforster, best hood on a mid layer fleece, EVER, like wearing a UA cold gear hood built in, so snug and soft. Mountain Hardwear 32 degree hoody, is awesome, again Polartec body and sleeves, with insulation around the shoulders

bottoms - main mid is a pair of Summit Series 200 Polartec leggings, absolutely perfect, slides right over light flash dry base, and under SS pants for a perfect cold weather combo. I just picked up a pair of UA Rival fitted pants, and they are nice under my SS pants also. I tend to stay away from cotton, but these work well if cold, or not too active.

Socks,

go to is Cabela's heavyweight wool hunting socks for GTX boots with no insulation, wear regular non-cotton socks with TNF 400 Thinsulate boots, unless really cold, then socks and insulated boots

I may post more info as I use stuff more, and some pack reviews and such. I am slightly biased towards TNF-MH-UA, covers 100% of my outdoor gear, performs.

Although I am starting to think this may not be a topic of much interest, oh well.......

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Darn Tough socks FTW

https://darntough.com/

New favorite shoe

La Sportiva Wildcat 3.0 trail runners. Tried them on a while back and loved them. got a pair for Xmas and broke them in yesterday. Tremendous shoe, grip comfort and support. Great stock insoles too. Will prob pick up a pair of the goretex versions for hikes with creek crossings etc. My Adidas Terrex Swift R's are good but the La Sportiva's are great.

Pants. REI Tareen pants, super comfy just enough stretch great for the AZ winters temp swings throughout the day 40-70 degrees Wish they made more colors than black. Will prob pick up some TNF motion pants too.

Still trying to figure out the top layers. Need to invest in some better moisture wicking t shirts and long sleeve T's North Face has some I need to order. Right now my Hurley dri fit's are the best I have for t's. I have a UA infrared 1/4 zip that is only good sub 55 degree days if I am moving around a lot. otherwise it gets too hot and does not breathe. I have another UA storm 1/4 zip that is nice, warm and breathable but does not stop the wind at all.

During the summer months will start looking at good breathable bucket hats as keeping cool when it is 90-105 out is critical.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Trailheads power stretch running gloves just came in. Really nice comfy light glove. Should be good for temps down to low to mid 30s while out on trails. Wind and water resistant. Touch screen compatible finger tips and a snot wipe feature is nice. Not bad for $28

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I grabbed a few items, that are just so soft and warm. We are in a stretch of sub zero weather, downright bone chilling.

I grabbed a TNF Timber full zip 300 weight Sherpa fleece, and a TNF Power Flux 2 full zip. Layered together, is like a 500 weight luxurious high collar fleece, normal price is like $240 for both, but can get them for $148 together on Sunny. The softness and warmth are unreal. I liked the Timber so much, I ordered a black one this morning, and also grabbed the 1/2 zip version of the MH 32 degree insulated (only $54 on Campmoor).

These hybrid mid layers with Polartec and light insulation are just fantastic, so versatile.

I plan on getting on the trails next week when the temps get back around 20. I have no desire to go out when it is -8.....

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Thanks for the deals tip on Sunny Sports, just ordered a $90 pair of Mountain Hardwear AP Pants for $53. Needed some khaki colored pants they hide the AZ dust a bit better than my black REI Tareens. Was going to spend $75 on the Khaki TNF Motion pants so even better deal finding these.

https://www.mountain...nt-1648971.html

Hiking pants are always tough because no matter what the situation I refuse to wear any sort of cargo pant lol.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Some good info in there, seems to be a bit biased towards Arcteryx, and I know they make great stuff, but some of the "cons" on a $900 ski jacket are deal breakers, really $900, it stains easily, and the Velcro barely reaches and does not stay closed? I would expect a bit more at that price. That is the best ski jacket on the market?

I bought 2 whole outfits for that, with TNF GTX 3L softshells, MH 800 down stretch jackets, with Nikwax Hydrophobic down, and Summit Series softshell pants (2 each) - $940.

Appreciate the link, went through a lot of it already.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

It’s funny you mention under armpit being great outdoor style product

While not exactly intense when we use to have outdoor hockey practice everyone would have on under armour leggings and thermal tops as they simply were the best for keeping you warm when I. T. was 5* Fahrenheit outside . It’s hard to believe the change they’ve had happen as a company & im glad to hear they still make a great product similar to what they started with

While not exactly intense when we use to have outdoor hockey practice everyone would have on under armour leggings and thermal tops as they simply were the best for keeping you warm when I. T. was 5* Fahrenheit outside . It’s hard to believe the change they’ve had happen as a company & im glad to hear they still make a great product similar to what they started with

You didn't happen to be at Wyoming did you? When I was there our rink was outdoor too but that was well before the boom to tech clothes.

The UA stuff i mentioned I actually purchased for golf just pulling double duty and using on trails too

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

You didn't happen to be at Wyoming did you? When I was there our rink was outdoor too but that was well before the boom to tech clothes.

The UA stuff i mentioned I actually purchased for golf just pulling double duty and using on trails too

No im just now in college in Florida . I grew up in Minnesota , so everything was put through the rigors.

I have a Mountain Hardwear winter jacket and it's bad*ss.....i mean it's -25 here right now and i go out with it unzipped. Of course i am also Canadian.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Went to REI today for the members garage sale got there 30 min before opening (9am) was given a ticket for the 10:20 group. Decided not to stick around for an hour and a half to buy some clothes. I'm sure there was some great deals but I didn't "need" anything other than some apparel didn't feel like waiting around. Picked up a refill of the electrolyte mix I use in my camelbak and some more darn tough socks and bailed.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Thanks for the deals tip on Sunny Sports, just ordered a $90 pair of Mountain Hardwear AP Pants for $53. Needed some khaki colored pants they hide the AZ dust a bit better than my black REI Tareens. Was going to spend $75 on the Khaki TNF Motion pants so even better deal finding these.

https://www.mountain...nt-1648971.html

Hiking pants are always tough because no matter what the situation I refuse to wear any sort of cargo pant lol.

In complete disagreement of the OGL write up on these. Great hiking pant. Only knock is with it being 72 today a tad warm on my afternoon hike. Prob best for low 60s or lower hikes.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Gone a bit crazy the last couple days. Really needed to address my need to get some breathable moisture wicking shirts. Obviously the climate in AZ has different demands than those with actual winter.

TNF couple of there performance T's and a lightweight performance long sleeve layer all great both layer wise and for the demands of AZ to stay dry from sweat and cool in heat.

The-North-Face-Mens-SS-Longline-Crew-High-Rise-Grey__24216.1490651126.png?c=2

the-north-face-mens-versitas-short-sleeve-crew-d95.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fstatic-cotswoldoutdoor-asadventure.netdna-ssl.com%2Fproductimages%2F285x285%2Fa21200963535.jpg

Also took advantage of the Columbia winter sale. You are not an outdoorsman if you don't have one plaid long sleeve shirt right? If this works out as I hope I could see me getting quite a few more. Breathable moisture wicking SPF roll up sleeves, should be great to handle the cool mornings with sleeves down then as it warms up just roll up the sleeves to avoid having to carry extra layers.

F17_1441321_464_a1.jpg

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

I have grabbed more stuff from these great sales at Campmor and Sunny

https://www.campmor.com/b/mountain-hardwear-32-degree-half-zip-mens - I picked this up in gray and black, perfect under the new Stretchdown MH jackets, slim fit. monkey cuffs. Normally $90-$100, sale for $67- add 20% coupon (save20) - $54

another sweet mid-layer, softest fleece jacket I have ever put on my body - https://www.sunnysports.com/p-nfcf2fm/the-north-face-flux-power-stretch-full-zip-for-men - normally $138 on sale for $88.

I also grabbed 2 TNF Timber Fleece jackets - 300 Sherpa fleece, were on sale for $59, but back to $100 now. Not really a performance top, just a thick, warm fleece, paired with the TNF Flux above is like walking around in a soft blanket.

I bought everyone in the family the TNF 40F Dolomite sleeping bag for Christmas, just happened we lost power in the middle of the night for 4.5 hours during the recent deep freeze (temp was 17 below, WC was 35 below), everyone was very happy with the new sleeping bag, even though it was in the house, got a little chilly.

I still have not done much other than some snow work and a few short jaunts around the lake, but the TNF softshell pants I listed above are fantastic so far.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

That plaid Columbia shirt and TNF shirts came in last week. the TNF t's are what they are breathable light and comfy. The TNF longsleeve is a bit thinner than I was anticipating more of a summer long sleeve vs providing an extra bit of warmth. Still like it but not as great of a "layer" as I was expecting.

The Columbia shirt on the other hand is near perfect, super breathable material, just enough warmth for typical AZ winter mornings 48-55, the roll up sleeves will come in handy as it warms up. added a few more to my amazon cart as they had a few more color options and good pricing via prime. Only knock is sleeves are about an inch or two too long, and I have long arms.

I was looking at that TNF Apex GTX shell as something to pick up in the future then I saw how heavy it was. Ended up stumbling across the Foray jacket from Outdoor Research, about half as much weight as the TNF jacket still goretex, https://www.outdoorr...p/2429260001006

Next couple months will be adding to my survival kit(once REI dividend hits), replacing my current 1st aid kit with something lighter, Bear spray for when we head up to Northern AZ when it gets warmer Doubles as a good home defense option too.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

That plaid Columbia shirt and TNF shirts came in last week. the TNF t's are what they are breathable light and comfy. The TNF longsleeve is a bit thinner than I was anticipating more of a summer long sleeve vs providing an extra bit of warmth. Still like it but not as great of a "layer" as I was expecting.

The Columbia shirt on the other hand is near perfect, super breathable material, just enough warmth for typical AZ winter mornings 48-55, the roll up sleeves will come in handy as it warms up. added a few more to my amazon cart as they had a few more color options and good pricing via prime. Only knock is sleeves are about an inch or two too long, and I have long arms.

I was looking at that TNF Apex GTX shell as something to pick up in the future then I saw how heavy it was. Ended up stumbling across the Foray jacket from Outdoor Research, about half as much weight as the TNF jacket still goretex, https://www.outdoorr...p/2429260001006

Next couple months will be adding to my survival kit(once REI dividend hits), replacing my current 1st aid kit with something lighter, Bear spray for when we head up to Northern AZ when it gets warmer Doubles as a good home defense option too.

There is no doubt on the Apex Flex, probably more of a ski jacket, pretty bomb proof. I have 2 new ones, should not ever need another shell as long as I am alive.

OR make some really great stuff, have a few pieces.

I actually took delivery on a pretty cool long sleeve shirt yesterday. It is a UA semi fitted infrared long sleeve t-shirt. It is like a regular long sleeve t, but there is something to the infrared, not sure what it is, but just over a UA core undershirt, felt like it would be a good addition to a pack.

This winter has sucked so far, every time is snows, and seems perfect to go out, it is 2 frickin degrees, then goes to 40, and gets all sloppy. I wish we could just have a week or two after some snow with steady 20-30 temps.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

If you are referring to the TNF gloves I mentioned above, depends. I shoveled for about 30 min the other day wearing them, hands got a bit cold, but wind chill was 25 below. I would say for any more realistic temp (around15-20), be fine.

I ended up wearing my Montana GTX insulated next time I went out in that temp. They can be found cheaper, but really good glove for me so far.

https://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_The-North-Face-Men-s-Montana-GORE-TEX-Glove_10344695_10208_10000001_-1_

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

There is no doubt on the Apex Flex, probably more of a ski jacket, pretty bomb proof. I have 2 new ones, should not ever need another shell as long as I am alive.

OR make some really great stuff, have a few pieces.

I actually took delivery on a pretty cool long sleeve shirt yesterday. It is a UA semi fitted infrared long sleeve t-shirt. It is like a regular long sleeve t, but there is something to the infrared, not sure what it is, but just over a UA core undershirt, felt like it would be a good addition to a pack.

This winter has sucked so far, every time is snows, and seems perfect to go out, it is 2 frickin degrees, then goes to 40, and gets all sloppy. I wish we could just have a week or two after some snow with steady 20-30 temps.

More of an AZ thing than anything else but the lighter weight and more of a shell something is the more likely I am to actually use it in AZ. Insulated jackets are just overkill here and even if I do go somewhere cooler I'd just layer under the shell.

The UA infrared is interesting, and a good way to add some warmth while staying light. I have one 1/4 zip storm pullover that is no heavier than most golf light 1/4 zips, but it is almost too hot to wear if I am out hiking or golfing unless below 55 degrees. I got my wife a infrared hoodie and leggings for Xmas. Her's is better because it is breathable, mine is just sealed up and does not breathe at all.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta another reasonably sized order coming up. We get a bonus each month based on our agency customer satisfaction survey numbers. Instead of putting in our check boss gives us a gift card. I usually get Amazon so I can buy gear. Got another $100 coming up so gonna get some more AZ winter stuff. Also just had a vendor hand out another gift card so cant beat it lol

Ordering a couple more of the those Columbia L.S. plaid shirts really really like the one I got and it is perfect for AZ. A couple layers 1 lightweight Columbia 1/4 zip breathable pullover, and a little heavier weight North Face Canyonlands 1/2 zip. Held off on the Goretex Mountain Hardwear shell as not a huge priority in AZ and I have a birthday coming up so would make a good gift idea. After this should be pretty well set clothing wise. 1-2 more pair of hiking pants and I'll be good before I pick up some more summer stuff like a summer boonie hat

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

REI just rolled out spend $100 get $20 back plus normal dividend deal. Looks like i'll be buying some more stuff in the next few weeks argh. But I'll pick up some of the saftey gear I have been wanting, then use the bonus and my dividend to finish off my list. roughly $160 worth of gear for ~$100 not bad.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Here is the latest apparel order. North Face stuff perfect fit and super nice quality as to be expected. Columbia I am becoming 50/50 on. I love the materials price and look of most of their stuff but other than the blue pullover (which is really more aqua green in person) the sleeves are 3 inches too long. I have to return the gray Columbia pullover sleeves fall to the base of my fingers and no elastic in the cuffs to keep them in place. I can tolerate it on the plaid shirts because of the button cuffs, I would prefer shorter for a proper looking fit but not uber concerned about that on the trail

DVEls9tUQAIGZje.jpg

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

• 2 weeks later...

Just took advantage of the REI spend $100 get a $20 gift card deal, Ordered everything on the list a few posts earlier except the Bear Spray which I'll pick up with the gift card. Already had a first aid kit but this one is a bit more comprehensive and lighter, The emergency blankets are an upgrade over what I have now. With the days starting to get a bit longer and a trailhead 0.5 miles from my office I can start getting in some mid week sunset hikes, the headlamp will be handy for those days I push a bit to far and end up walking out in the dark, never know when a rattler will be on the trail and if there is would sure be nice to see it first lol. The more I hike the more I realize I much prefer to hike solo, or with my wife at the most. hiking in a group of 3-4+ just gets annoying, and the more I hike solo especially in some remote areas the more I realize I should focus more on my saftey/survival kit.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Some great TNF sales going on right now, just picked up the Ventrix Jacket, was the Editor's Choice Award for 2017 from Backpacker magazine, can find em around $120 now.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Had a credit on Amazon from returning the Columbia 1/4 zip picked up a solar power cell to keep the phone charged up, I am heavily reliant on GPS especially when the trails get overgrown, This is pretty lightweight and is enough to keep the phone charged up for 3-4+ days. Probably come in handy travelling too no need for a car charger etc.

71nkv7VMnBL._SX425_.jpg

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Some great TNF sales going on right now, just picked up the Ventrix Jacket, was the Editor's Choice Award for 2017 from Backpacker magazine, can find em around $120 now.

Where at??

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-sale

Some really good deals the APEX Flex Goretex shell $139. Canyonlands Fleece for sub $50 wearing one today at work super nice I will probably pick up another.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120