Custom Wilson Staff Tour Blades

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tex-

So you prefer the Andy Bean Dynapower Wedge over this one?

Even with no drill-thru hosel, that Wilson custom Ray Floyd SW remains one great looking Dynapower.

rex235

I prefer the Andy Bean because of the shaft in it.

I'm a digger-style bunker player and the stiffer, lower launching Bean shaft gave me more range. I could more easily hit longer bunker shots with it. Height is never a problem on shorter shots - just open the face more.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

Does anyone have any theories on what is up with the irons that should have the Fluid-feel hosel but do not? It seems like a fair number of specials and/or tour player owned irons are missing the drilled through hosel. Do these irons still use the special Wilson threaded shafts that the fluid-feel hosels are famous for, or are they drilled for the more common parallel or taper tips shafts? If the latter were true then it would make sense for a tour player to use that hosel as it would make experimental shaft changes MUCH easier. Sorry to bust in here but I've been wondering about this for a while and this seems like a good time to pose the question. Thoughts anyone?

Swinging-

Wouldn't it be great to still have access to those 3 ring binders noting Wilson Golfs custom club designs?

Wilson Staff Dynapower series iron models with the "Fluid Feel" drill-thru hosel were from 1957-1975.

The "Fluid Feel" iron feature made it's return to Wilson in the '80s, and is on the 1969 and 1971 iron remakes.

The "Fluid Feel" hosel is even featured on the 2014 Wilson FG Tour 100 Forged iron model (RH Only)

"Missing" isn't a word one normally associates with iron models that are custom ground for a particular professional.

Nonetheless, having constant shaft changes could present issues for those irons with "Fluid Feel" hosels.

My 1971 Wilson Staff Dynapower "Buttonback" iron model with the "Fluid Feel" hosel remains the best performing iron set

I've ever owned. Wanted to get a FG Tour 100 Forged iron set in 2014, but then...

Does anyone have any theories on what is up with the irons that should have the Fluid-feel hosel but do not? It seems like a fair number of specials and/or tour player owned irons are missing the drilled through hosel. Do these irons still use the special Wilson threaded shafts that the fluid-feel hosels are famous for, or are they drilled for the more common parallel or taper tips shafts? If the latter were true then it would make sense for a tour player to use that hosel as it would make experimental shaft changes MUCH easier. Sorry to bust in here but I've been wondering about this for a while and this seems like a good time to pose the question. Thoughts anyone?

Just thoughts, but I think the drill through hosel did a couple of things. It would take some weight out of the heel and move the CoG a little towards the middle of the face. And the coloured filler would provide some level of shock absorption. Both are features that would be very much a matter of taste - not necessarily good or bad. But if you're custom ordering irons, maybe you're looking for a set up that more closely resembles a previous iron set up as regards weight distribution and feel. I can imagine someone wanting something quite specific in terms of grind and shaping - but minimal changes from the balance and feel of an existing set. Especially if you're a pro moving from another brand of irons on an endorsement deal.

I recall that back in the button sole Wilson Staff days, they gave club Staff Pros and Tour players the option of having no sole plug.

I have a PW bought from a club pro many years ago that had a custom grind number and no sole plug.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

Swinging-

Wouldn't it be great to still have access to those 3 ring binders noting Wilson Golfs custom club designs?

Wilson Staff Dynapower series iron models with the "Fluid Feel" drill-thru hosel were from 1957-1975.

The "Fluid Feel" iron feature made it's return to Wilson in the '80s, and is on the 1969 and 1971 iron remakes.

The "Fluid Feel" hosel is even featured on the 2014 Wilson FG Tour 100 Forged iron model (RH Only)

"Missing" isn't a word one normally associates with iron models that are custom ground for a particular professional.

Nonetheless, having constant shaft changes could present issues for those irons with "Fluid Feel" hosels.

My 1971 Wilson Staff Dynapower "Buttonback" iron model with the "Fluid Feel" hosel remains the best performing iron set

I've ever owned. Wanted to get a FG Tour 100 Forged iron set in 2014, but then...

Rex: It's a crying shame those binders are missing. All that amazing data.... It's an old and common story though. Most long-lived companies change hands at some point, and the new owners often throw away "all that old junk". No industry is exempt from new operators cleaning house. It's sad for us nostalgic history buffs.

I too love my 71' Buttonback's, but they are no longer my regular irons. The only iron I've found that feel better to me are my FG-59'S. Someday we'll be talking about FG-59's like we do now about the Dynapowers - a modern classic.

Swinging-

Regarding the Custom Department at Wilson, the young woman who answered my phone inquiry in 2014 put it as plainly as she possibly could...

"We're sorry, but due to the increased retirements and turnover in our Custom Department staff, we were forced to close this section.

It was a Corporate Decision." (Nothing personal, just busine$$...)

So at your 2018 Demo day, make sure you take along a set of your "classic" Wilson Staff Custom clubs for their rep.

Let us know how it goes.

Swinging-

Regarding the Custom Department at Wilson, the young woman who answered my phone inquiry in 2014 put it as plainly as she possibly could...

"We're sorry, but due to the increased retirements and turnover in our Custom Department staff, we were forced to close this section.

So at your 2018 Demo day, make sure you take along a set of your "classic" Wilson Staff Custom clubs for their rep.

Let us know how it goes.

We had a WS demo day,one of my chums was having a 'fitting' and when he stopped for a breather I had a quick chat to see what he was looking at,I had my pencil bag with Fluid Feel Staff irons,the rep looked at them without a glimmer of recognition.

Swinging-

Let us know how it goes.

We had a WS demo day,one of my chums was having a 'fitting' and when he stopped for a breather I had a quick chat to see what he was looking at,I had my pencil bag with Fluid Feel Staff irons,the rep looked at them without a glimmer of recognition.

Chris-

Didn't matter-

You weren't the client getting a fitting, and your "Fluid Feel" Staffs are no longer part of their corporate business model.

Wouldn't have mattered if you had one of those very first Wilson Sand Irons that had "Gene Sarazen" on it.

Now, if you had asked the Wilson rep, "Hey, I'm looking at upgrading my irons- Where are those LH FG Tour 100 Forged irons?"

That would have got a definite response from them.

Rex, today Wilson told me that the Sauers set was made in 6/29/1989. The info I received came from the "Innovation Center". Via my twitter contact. June 29 means they were built in Chicago at the Western Open... June 29 was Thursday of the Western Open at Butler National.

I doubled back to them just now and asking if the model is from a previous year, because I thought the 89 looked different. Rex, your input?

Rex, today Wilson told me that the Sauers set was made in 6/29/1989. The info I received came from the "Innovation Center". Via my twitter contact. June 29 means they were built in Chicago at the Western Open... June 29 was Thursday of the Western Open at Butler National.

I doubled back to them just now and asking if the model is from a previous year, because I thought the 89 looked different. Rex, your input?

I've played Butler National 4 times. It is a BRUTE of a course...

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Freddie-

Am humbled that you would ask for my input.

The following underlined section is from my post about these irons from almost a month ago-

If one had to make an educated guess-

These N-3880 custom series Staff irons were done between 1987 and 1989. It is likely a custom club supervised and/or ground by Robert Mendralla Sr (RIP)

Remember, your contacts have more than common knowledge about those particular grinders.

These "Staff" irons have the gold "W/S" shield, which was featured in the above years, so it made sense to infer any custom irons were done during this period.

If memory serves me, the guy that won the '89 Western Open was Mark McCumber, who was also a Wilson Staffer then. This may have been the year he beat Peter Jacobsen.

Both British Senior Open Champions and left handed golfers Bob Charles and Russ Cochran were Wilson Staffers during this time in their careers.

Wonder if anyone can find their custom Wilson Staff irons?

The Sauers Staffs got a round in today at Celebration Golf club. They lived up to their great heritage. I hit them great although the set could use new grips for sure. Great warm day today , also had a sweet Texan and played it the whole round. 2 nice guys from Argentina played with me , they were really cool and in awe of the classic Wood... first round in Florida in 10 years , can’t believe it’s been that long.

Rex,

there is something about the 85 Langer staffs that appeal to me more. It could be the solid shots. The 1989 model felt great but the Langers have an amazing feel in the hands when hit well, there is also something about that set that instill confidence too. I am also biased because I played the 85 model in high school and I love the look of them. I will have to hit them side by side when it warms up and see what I think then.

Having said that yesterday I hit a ton of iron shots at top golf Orlando with the 89 Sauers staffs and was in a good groove, walked away saying these clubs are so sweet. Top Golf is a blast...

• 2 weeks later...

Orange-

These are the 1976-77 Wilson Staff Pro Model irons custom ground for PGA Tour player Andy Bean. The stamps have parts from the '69 W/S Bulletback iron model, and the '76 "Bicentennial Staff" iron model.

The T1522 is Beans grind number. These irons were likely ground by, or under the supervision of Robert Mendralla Sr. Wilson had a number of master and apprentice grinders during this period, so...

Wilson Golf kept all their custom grind model numbers in a series of 3 ring binders. From conversations, we know these binders existed, but do not know who has them now- possibly Robert Mendralla Jr.

You know that Wilson Staffers Gene Sarazen, Sam Snead, Patty Berg, Cary Middlecoff, and many others had their names stamped on their custom ground irons.

Yes, Arnold Palmer as well. Some '69 Wilson Dynapower bulletback iron models had PATTY BERG stamped instead of "STAFF MODEL" Am sure there are quite a few models not found in the Kaplan catalog..

My earliest custom iron numbers date from the Wilson Staff Dynapower era- 1957-1975, and have posted photos of such.

Sorry, but Wilson Golf closed their Custom department records to the public in 2014- their Centennial Year-due to retirements,and employee turnover--

"It was a Corporate decision" said the female employee who answered my phone call request then.

Texsport might have more than common knowledge on this model, as one of his favorite custom Wilson SW was one of Andy Beans.

Freddie also has a few custom Wilson Staff irons and has acquired some contacts, so both of them may provide what you seek.

Good Luck.

Orange-

These are the 1976-77 Wilson Staff Pro Model irons custom ground for PGA Tour player Andy Bean. The stamps have parts from the '69 W/S Bulletback iron model, and the '76 "Bicentennial Staff" iron model.

The T1522 is Beans grind number. These irons were likely ground by, or under the supervision of Robert Mendralla Sr. Wilson had a number of master and apprentice grinders during this period, so...

Wilson Golf kept all their custom grind model numbers in a series of 3 ring binders. From conversations, we know these binders existed, but do not know who has them now- possibly Robert Mendralla Jr.

You know that Wilson Staffers Gene Sarazen, Sam Snead, Patty Berg, Cary Middlecoff, and many others had their names stamped on their custom ground irons.

Yes, Arnold Palmer as well. Some '69 Wilson Dynapower bulletback iron models had PATTY BERG stamped instead of "STAFF MODEL" Am sure there are quite a few models not found in the Kaplan catalog..

My earliest custom iron numbers date from the Wilson Staff Dynapower era- 1957-1975, and have posted photos of such.

Sorry, but Wilson Golf closed their Custom department records to the public in 2014- their Centennial Year-due to retirements,and employee turnover--

"It was a Corporate decision" said the female employee who answered my phone call request then.

Texsport might have more than common knowledge on this model, as one of his favorite custom Wilson SW was one of Andy Beans.

Freddie also has a few custom Wilson Staff irons and has acquired some contacts, so both of them may provide what you seek.

Good Luck.

Much appreciated!

They are cheap might go ahead and pick them up. 2-pw

• 1 month later...

Orange-

Good Luck.

Much appreciated!

Orange-

Don't know if you got the set, but-

If you did get them, search out a contact for Andy Bean, write to him, and get his take on the set...

Orange-

Good Luck.

Much appreciated!

Orange-

Don't know if you got the set, but-

If you did get them, search out a contact for Andy Bean, write to him, and get his take on the set...

I didn't win them! I ended up getting injured in an old man pick-up basketball game and had to have surgery 2 days later. Would've loved to get my hands on them. I usually play TT DG shafts in my more modern irons (stiff and X-stiff), but I have a beat up set of Staff-Tour Blades with the old stock R shafts in them and I absolutely love hitting them. I could do with a bit of a softer leading edge in the short irons, but the balance of those old irons is incredible. I don't know how to describe it. They just feel "right" for lack of a better term. I'm still on the look out for custom grinds with a more muted leading edge for play.

Thanks for the advice! I'll keep that in mind if I get something with a name attached to them

Swinging-

"Someday we'll be talking about FG-59's like we do now about the Dynapowers....."

Take a look at the Golfwrx photos on whats in DJ Trahans bag for this weeks Byron Nelson Classic.

Perhaps you will. Unfortunately, W/S Fg 59 Tour Blades were RH Only.

Thanks for the tip on Trahan's bag Rex. Yes I checked it out. It's very cool to see these irons in a pros setup. Exciting (for me anyway) even.

Padraig's all Wilson outfit is neat to see also. Love the Staff staff bag!