Brooks Koepka

bigeasy

Lol guys forecasting a 27yo off a career year to barely win at all going forward. Top level shenanigans.

Too many reasons to steer clear of tour talk these days

It's just an opinion. When I see Brooks Koepka I see a player who finishes his career with less than 6 wins, even though it could be 2x that. I am not afraid of being wrong, and maybe he'll prove me just that!

Eh, only been about 200 players who ever got to 6 wins.

You're just playing the odds you sly dog...

Okay okay okay, I'll sweeten the pot.

Instead of less than 6, I'll set the +/- at 5.5 Fair? ;)

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd give him more than 2 events, one of which was meaningless, before declaring him finished. His ego isn't fragile and 2 bad events isn't gonna make him go off the deep end

Fair enough. I just remember hearing all kinds of amazing things about him, and him not really ever rising to the hype. Now that he won a Major, the hype machine seemed to kick into over drive. I just don't see the magic in him the way others do, I guess.

Sheesh Koepka can be maddening. I've vowed to avoid the guy on any fantasy teams as I've been burned too many times with him. With that said he's like a mini DJ when he's on. I fully expect him to get past this injury and be back in contention in another major really soon. Yes he has had more than his share of disappointing results but the guy does have a world of talent that can't be denied.

To think he is done because of 2 bad finishes is obscene. He will be fine and back to sneaking into the top 10 on Sunday in no time.

Don't think he's done per se, but 32 strokes(?) off the leader in a non major event is a YUGE ouchie. In a field of what, 38, that's gotta hurt the big guy's ego.

He also won an event by lapping the field less than 2 months ago. He will be fine

Willett won a Masters, proving just about anyone can have an amazing run and then fall flat. So?

Willett was handed a Masters.

I'd give him more than 2 events, one of which was meaningless, before declaring him finished. His ego isn't fragile and 2 bad events isn't gonna make him go off the deep end

Fair enough. I just remember hearing all kinds of amazing things about him, and him not really ever rising to the hype. Now that he won a Major, the hype machine seemed to kick into over drive. I just don't see the magic in him the way others do, I guess.

He’s won 3 times and had 5 second place finishes in the last 2 years and is currently the 8th ranked player in the world. He’s had more top 2 finishes than missed cuts the last two years. Prior to this week he’s had ONE finish outside the top 20 since his US Open win and his world ranking has continued to improve since his US open win. Not really sure what you expected.

He's won 3 times and had 5 second place finishes in the last 2 years and is currently the 8th ranked player in the world. He's had more top 2 finishes than missed cuts the last two years. Prior to this week he's had ONE finish outside the top 20 since his US Open win and his world ranking has continued to improve since his US open win. Not really sure what you expected.

I'm confused. I read that he won 6 international events and only 2 official PGA Tour events. Is that the case?

Also, I'm always intrigued when people take non wins into consideration. They are there to win. I personally don't care how many top 10s, top 5s or whatever. That is a statastician's game. Did he get a trophy or not?

When a player is hyped to death, I expect Ws since you asked. We also all know how the World Rankings are. For example, isn't Jason Day ranked lower than Brooks but has 10 official PGA Tour wins and a Major? So really, Koepka's World Ranking right now is largely meaningless in the grand scheme, is it not? If the World Rankings were so high on everyone's list there would never be a question that in Golf, TW is the greatest, but people argue that all the time.

He's won 3 times and had 5 second place finishes in the last 2 years and is currently the 8th ranked player in the world. He's had more top 2 finishes than missed cuts the last two years. Prior to this week he's had ONE finish outside the top 20 since his US Open win and his world ranking has continued to improve since his US open win. Not really sure what you expected.

I'm confused. I read that he won 6 international events and only 2 official PGA Tour events. Is that the case?

Also, I'm always intrigued when people take non wins into consideration. They are there to win. I personally don't care how many top 10s, top 5s or whatever. That is a statastician's game. Did he get a trophy or not?

When a player is hyped to death, I expect Ws since you asked. We also all know how the World Rankings are. For example, isn't Jason Day ranked lower than Brooks but has 10 official PGA Tour wins and a Major? So really, Koepka's World Ranking right now is largely meaningless in the grand scheme, is it not? If the World Rankings were so high on everyone's list there would never be a question that in Golf, TW is the greatest, but people argue that all the time.

Silly reasoning here. You don't go from barely making cuts to numerous tour wins. Those consistently in contention are those who are most likely to win and win on a regular basis. It means their over-all game is solid and they don't need a glorious 4 days of golf to hoist a trophy.

That and the whole money thing, this is his job. He's said it more than once it's not his live love but he's damn good at it. Numerous top 10s and top 5s pays the bills just fine.

Silly reasoning here. You don't go from barely making cuts to numerous tour wins. Those consistently in contention are those who are most likely to win and win on a regular basis. It means their over-all game is solid and they don't need a glorious 4 days of golf to hoist a trophy.

That and the whole money thing, this is his job. He's said it more than once it's not his live love but he's damn good at it. Numerous top 10s and top 5s pays the bills just fine.

I'm not arguing that he is good at his job at all. My argument is that the way he is hyped, you'd think he was GREAT, but he's not. Like you said, he pays his bills, but he certainly isn't lighting the world on fire.

So European Tour events are meaningless? And the Dunlop Phoenix which has a strength of field as strong or stronger than plenty of PGA Tour events doesn’t count either? And how he finishes in events he doesn’t win shows how consistent his game is. Again having more top 2 finishes than missed cuts says a bunch about his ability.

Brooks has only been on the PGA Tour for 3 years. Jason Day has been on the PGA Tour for a decade. How is the world ranking meaningless? It reflects who’s played better over the last 2 years, Brooks has the same number of wins, more second place finishes and the same number of 3rd place finishes. And all of Days wins came 2 years ago.

And the World Rankings didn’t exist with Jack was playing. If they did his would be more impressive than Tiger’s.

His World ranking has actually dropped to 8th from a career high 7th, so this is incorrect. Problem is, Japan wins can't recoup depreciating US Open points.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

His World ranking has actually dropped to 8th from a career high 7th, so this is incorrect. Problem is, Japan wins can't recoup depreciating US Open points.

Huh? The Japan win netted him 32 points. He’s lost 19 points from his US Open win. So it more than recouped any points lost. And he was 10th after is US Open win. He is currently 8th. Which means he has improved his ranking since his Us open win.

Nothing I said is incorrect at all.

So European Tour events are meaningless? And the Dunlop Phoenix which has a strength of field as strong or stronger than plenty of PGA Tour events doesn't count either? And how he finishes in events he doesn't win shows how consistent his game is. Again having more top 2 finishes than missed cuts says a bunch about his ability.

If by plenty you mean the lowest 5 events, 4 of those being opposite field events, then you'd be right! So it surely counts but only somewhere between The Safeway and The Puerto Rico Open.

Huh? The Japan win netted him 32 points. He's lost 19 points from his US Open win. So it more than recouped any points lost. And he was 10th after is US Open win. He is currently 8th. Which means he has improved his ranking since his Us open win.

Except that it's actually declining. By one spot. Even with the WGC finish and Japan win.

From 7th to 8th, so it hasn't continued to improve.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

So European Tour events are meaningless? And the Dunlop Phoenix which has a strength of field as strong or stronger than plenty of PGA Tour events doesn't count either? And how he finishes in events he doesn't win shows how consistent his game is. Again having more top 2 finishes than missed cuts says a bunch about his ability.

If by plenty you mean the lowest 5 events, 4 of those being opposite field events, then you'd be right! So it surely counts but only somewhere between The Safeway and The Puerto Rico Open.

Huh? The Japan win netted him 32 points. He's lost 19 points from his US Open win. So it more than recouped any points lost. And he was 10th after is US Open win. He is currently 8th. Which means he has improved his ranking since his Us open win.

Except that it's actually declining. By one spot. Even with the WGC finish and Japan win.

I said it has continued to improve since his US Open win. Which it has. His current world ranking is better/improved than it was when he won the US Open. Continued to improve since the US Open doesn’t mean the same things as continuously improving.

Until his ranking becomes 10th or worse it has continued to improve from where it was after the US Open.

Again nothing I said was incorrect. But if you want to keep looking foolish and make incorrect statements we can keep going.

I said it has continued to improve since his US Open win. Which it has. His current world ranking is better/improved than it was when he won the US Open. Continued to improve since the US Open doesn't mean the same things as continuously improving.

Until his ranking becomes 10th or worse it has continued to improve from where it was after the US Open.

Again nothing I said was incorrect. But if you want to keep looking foolish and make incorrect statements we can keep going.

I'm not acting foolish, I'm pulling data directly from OWGR website. If we are misunderstanding "continued to improve" or "continuously improving" then so be it. To me they mean the same but maybe that's not the case.

No need to take it personally.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

I said it has continued to improve since his US Open win. Which it has. His current world ranking is better/improved than it was when he won the US Open. Continued to improve since the US Open doesn't mean the same things as continuously improving.

I'm not acting foolish, I'm pulling data directly from OWGR website. If we are misunderstanding "continued to improve" or "continuously improving" then so be it. To me they mean the same but maybe that's not the case.

No need to take it personally.

They aren’t the same thing. And you were completely wrong about his Japan win not making up for points lost from his US Open win.

Did you honestly think I didn’t see his peak ranking when I looked up his wins and 2nd place finishes on the exact same page you looked up his peak ranking? I said what I said, the way I said it, for a reason. I don’t take anything on here personally.

I honestly don't know what anybody is or isn't thinking, or doing when they post things, so to answer your question, no. However, overstating the Dunlop's strength of field did make me wonder if we were getting the same information.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

I honestly don't know what anybody is or isn't thinking, or doing when they post things, so to answer your question, no. However, overstating the Dunlop's strength of field did make me wonder if we were getting the same information.

I didn’t overstate anything. That field is stronger than multiple PGA Tour events. To dismiss European Tour wins and other large worldwide wins on major tours is completely foolish.

Willett was handed a Masters.

Nah, If he doesn't make birdies down the stretch he doesnt win.

If the YJS doesnt put two in the drink on 12 he also doesnt win.

Still 6 holes left, bruh.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

I didn't overstate anything. That field is stronger than multiple PGA Tour events. To dismiss European Tour wins and other large worldwide wins on major tours is completely foolish.

I didn't dismiss anything, just putting it into perspective. And you said plenty, not multiple How many is that, percentage wise?

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

I didn't overstate anything. That field is stronger than multiple PGA Tour events. To dismiss European Tour wins and other large worldwide wins on major tours is completely foolish.

I didn't dismiss anything, just putting it into perspective. And you said plenty, not multiple How many is that, percentage wise?

Over 10%

Over 10%

lol nice one. Should have seen that coming.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

Over 10%

lol nice one. Should have seen that coming.

For fun I checked. The Dunlop had a stronger strength of field than just under 20% of the events of the PGA tour. And a few more were just barely higher in strength of field, if you included those as roughly “as strong” the number jumps up to 25%.

Brooks has only been on the PGA Tour for 3 years. Jason Day has been on the PGA Tour for a decade. How is the world ranking meaningless? It reflects who's played better over the last 2 years, Brooks has the same number of wins, more second place finishes and the same number of 3rd place finishes. And all of Days wins came 2 years ago.

Wait so you're saying that Day has won significantly more than Brooks has in the same time frame, but we should swallow the hype about Brooks? Huh?

Within 3 years once guy wins 10 PGA Tour Events and a Major and the other wins 2 PGA Tour Events and one Major and now has a better World Ranking now. And this is something that is to be taken seriously? Makes sense.

I see where it's ranked. Slightly better than an opposite field event, possibly on par with The John Deere taking onto consideration it's rating, which deserves some credit for sure. Reality is though, it's not enough points. Dropped a spot just 2 weeks later.

I dunno. I've said before that to crack the top 10 you can do it rather "easily" with a few high finishes and just one win. To move around within the top 10 you need to keep it up or you'll slip

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

Brooks has only been on the PGA Tour for 3 years. Jason Day has been on the PGA Tour for a decade. How is the world ranking meaningless? It reflects who's played better over the last 2 years, Brooks has the same number of wins, more second place finishes and the same number of 3rd place finishes. And all of Days wins came 2 years ago.

Wait so you're saying that Day has won significantly more than Brooks has in the same time frame, but we should swallow the hype about Brooks? Huh?

Within 3 years once guy wins 10 PGA Tour Events and a Major and the other wins 2 PGA Tour Events and one Major and now has a better World Ranking now. And this is something that is to be taken seriously? Makes sense.

Huh. Please go back and read what I said. Jason Day has been on the PGA Tour 10 years. Brooks has been on the PGA Tour only 3 years. Where in the hell do you get Day won 10 PGA Tour events in his first 3 years on tour? Jason Day only won 2 events in his first SIX years on tour.

Brooks has the SAME number of wins and MORE second place finishes than Day does in the last 2 years. And Day didn’t win at all last year. That is why his world ranking is higher.