Turf toe/ hallux limitus/ big toe arthritis and golf

2 hours ago, Snowman9000 said:

I’m doing pretty well by using golf shoes modified to protect the joint.  If I didn’t golf, I don’t think the problem would have amounted to much to begin with.  Here is a link to a write up.  I’ll add that I am finding that I do better with a roomier toe box than the footjoys have.  I just had Larossa stretch them so we’ll see.  He did a pair of New Balance golf shoes for me too.  I’ve been wearing those for every round because of the roomy toe box, and my toe comes out in good shape.  Here’s the other post:

coming…

Well I’m having a heck of a time getting the other post put in here.  Okay it’s in the next post. 

Thanks, Snowman9000. I was going to ask you about shoes. Is there a particular kind of footjoys or new balance you like? I was wondering if squairz shoes might offer more room in the toe box.

Edited by Tanner25

Just now, Tanner25 said:

Thanks, Snowman9000. I was going to ask you about shoes. Is there a particular kind of footjoys or new balance you like? I was wondering if squairz shoes might offer more room in the toe box.

I think Sqairz look ideal.  None of the FJs seem to be very roomy.  I wanted to use them because I thought it made sense to modify a good leather shoe with classic looks, that could be repaired and such.  But really, the soles are modern plastic just like the New Balance, Sqairz, etc.  I also wanted spiked, again for longevity.   The current FJ of mine is the Premiere.  Everyone is different so you’ll have to get to a store and try some for fit.  Then call Bill Larossa and tell him what shoe you’d like to modify.  I sure wish FJ made a wide toe spiked shoe.

• Like 1

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

• 2 months later...

Still dealing with arthritic big right toe and struggling to find the right golf shoe. Not sure, if I need a wide toe box like True Linkswear or a well placed piece of rubber on the inside of the top of the shoe like a NB Contend. Any suggestions? I currently have the Addidas 360 boost, older model and it really pinches the toes.

https://truelinkswear.com/products/true-original-1-2?view=v2

https://www.newbalance.com/pd/fresh-foam-contend/NBG4006.html

Edited by Tanner25

Have you been to a Podiatrist that plays golf? I can walk 18 with no problem as long is have my orthotics in place of the shoes original footbed. I also prefer a stiffer sole and a softer top in an extra wide size.

Without these and having Hallux Rigidus in both big toes, I might be able to walk 5 holes at most.

I have always had good luck with FootJoy shoes.

Good luck!

Edited by Jersey golfer
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 7:56 PM, Tanner25 said:

Anyone change their swing method with a big toe problem? With a bad rear toe. Does stack and tilt make more sense?

Try the Jim Venetos method.  He’s on YouTube, and offers online coaching.  I’ve only dabbled with it.  I think it could help with lots of body problems, except it puts more stress on the lead knee.  Which is another of my problems.

• Like 1

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

11 hours ago, Jersey golfer said:

Have you been to a Podiatrist that plays golf? I can walk 18 with no problem as long is have my orthotics in place of the shoes original footbed. I also prefer a stiffer sole and a softer top in an extra wide size.

Without these and having Hallux Rigidus in both big toes, I might be able to walk 5 holes at most.

Good luck!

For me the problems come from swinging, not walking.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

Thanks, Snowman and Jersey Golfer.  I would like to see a golfing podiatrist!

Good thoughts on the swing. It's interesting, on the New Balance, contend shoe, the little bit of rubber (by the toes) is more towards the inside. Do you think this could be really good to protect the toe on the through swing. It's hard to get that piece of rubber right, the right width, and comfort in one shoe.  

49 minutes ago, Tanner25 said:

Thanks, Snowman and Jersey Golfer.  I would like to see a golfing podiatrist!

Good thoughts on the swing. It's interesting, on the New Balance, contend shoe, the little bit of rubber (by the toes) is more towards the inside. Do you think this could be really good to protect the toe on the through swing. It's hard to get that piece of rubber right, the right width, and comfort in one shoe.  

For me it’s not so much about protection as it is about restricting the extension bending of the toe.

• Like 1

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

5 hours ago, Snowman9000 said:

For me it’s not so much about protection as it is about restricting the extension bending of the toe.

Great point, I recently bought a pair of flimsy cheap sneakers for walking, just happy to get them in a wide for some extra room and realized it provided no support and my condition got worse. I think I need a stiffer sole, something to add to the wish list for the perfect golf shoe! 

Edited by Tanner25

9 hours ago, Tanner25 said:

Great point, I recently bought a pair of flimsy cheap sneakers for walking, just happy to get them in a wide for some extra room and realized it provided no support and my condition got worse. I think I need a stiffer sole, something to add to the wish list for the perfect golf shoe! 

I don’t think they exist off the shelf.  If you go back a page to my post of Feb 6, you’ll find a link to my post about getting shoes modified by Larossa Shoe.  

Since then I’ve found that I need a roomier toe box than the footjoys have.  I had him do a pair of New Balance at the same time and they are great.  Now I’m going to have him do a pair of Sqairz.  This time I’m going to try stiffening only, and not the added rocker sole.  I only get the right shoe modified.

Edited by Snowman9000
  • Like 1

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

• 3 weeks later...

Bought the Skechers Go Golf Archfit. Went a half size larger and there's plenty of room for the toes. They are really comfy too. so, far so good.  Hoping they are not too soft. I've learned with this big toe issue, there's a fine line between too much comfort and not enough support.

Edited by Tanner25

• 1 month later...

To follow up on my recent post, have had a recent infection on my big toe and one of the x-rays revealed I have big toe arthritus. It's gotten so bad, if I used an old pair of speakers and walk, it starts hurting. My podiatrist recommeded getting gfores a golf shoe with a stiifer sole. Well, since, I bought a soft sneaker style sketchers gogolf shoe (I was looking for something comfy), I need to do something with this shoe. Can any one recommend a reasonably priced insert that will stiffen the shoe?

Edited by Tanner25

1 minute ago, Tanner25 said:

To follow up on my recent post, have had a recent infection on my big toe and one of the x-rays revealed I have big toe arthritus. It's gotten so bad, if I used an old pair of speakers and walk, 

Well there is the problem - the Bose aren't for toes...

Sorry- couldn't resist- hope you find something that works for you

24 minutes ago, Tanner25 said:

To follow up on my recent post, have had a recent infection on my big toe and one of the x-rays revealed I have big toe arthritus. It's gotten so bad, if I used an old pair of speakers and walk, it starts hurting. My podiatrist recommeded getting gfores a golf shoe with a stiifer sole. Well, since, I bought a soft sneaker style sketchers gogolf shoe (I was looking for something comfy), I need to do something with this shoe. Can any one recommend a reasonably priced insert that will stiffen the shoe?

I'm afraid you are going down the path that I've been down, throwing good money after bad, and getting cumulative foot damage in the process.  I know you've seen my earlier posts so I can only reiterate for emphasis.  I have not found an insert that will do the job, and that includes a pricey carbon fiber one.   If you don't get this right, you will damage your toe more and/or sooner.   Get a golf shoe with a roomy toe box and have Larossa Shoes stiffen it and possibly add a bit of rocker to it too.  Just modify the one shoe for the bad foot, not the good one. 

Edited by Snowman9000

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

Also, the insert I recommend, after stiffening the shoe, is this one.  It provides the right support and a depressed area to get the big toe settled into a position that keeps the joint unlocked.

https://www.myfootshop.com/vasyli-dananberg-orthotic

• Like 2

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

9 hours ago, Snowman9000 said:

I'm afraid you are going down the path that I've been down, throwing good money after bad, and getting cumulative foot damage in the process.  I know you've seen my earlier posts so I can only reiterate for emphasis.  I have not found an insert that will do the job, and that includes a pricey carbon fiber one.   If you don't get this right, you will damage your toe more and/or sooner.   Get a golf shoe with a roomy toe box and have Larossa Shoes stiffen it and possibly add a bit of rocker to it too.  Just modify the one shoe for the bad foot, not the good one. 

Snowman, Thanks, for your suggestions and support. I know you have been there done that. I had my big toe nail removed and I was seeking something with a lot of room and comfort. The sketchers are good for that. But, now I realized it was not the right shoe for the long term. Foot problems suck. I never had this problem until recently. 

31 minutes ago, Tanner25 said:

Snowman, Thanks, for your suggestions and support. I know you have been there done that. I had my big toe nail removed and I was seeking something with a lot of room and comfort. The sketchers are good for that. But, now I realized it was not the right shoe for the long term. Foot problems suck. I never had this problem until recently. 

I wouldn’t want to tell you what I’ve spent chasing more comfortable shoes and inserts.  All the while the toe joint was deteriorating.  The shoes modified by Larossa have been a godsend.  You’ll spend 250 (above the price of the shoes) or so every time you do one, but you’ll save your health.  He does shoes for pro golfers with foot problems.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

• 2 months later...

My Big Toe osteo arthritus is pretty much hopeless. I tried tumeric and osteo biflex with little help. I am not ready to do surgery. The only thing I can think of is tape it well. Is there a video out there for proper taping of the big toe to add stability while playing golf? I know there's a lot of turf toe video's. Does it accomplish the same thing?

22 minutes ago, Tanner25 said:

My Big Toe osteo arthritus is pretty much hopeless. I tried tumeric and osteo biflex with little help. I am not ready to do surgery. The only thing I can think of is tape it well. Is there a video out there for proper taping of the big toe to add stability while playing golf? I know there's a lot of turf toe video's. Does it accomplish the same thing?

Here's something for your consideration.  My osteo in the right shoulder can make golf beyond painful.  My doc suggested after 2 years to start managing the symptom as the problem wasn't going away.  To my surprise, he recommended a CBD topical called Kerwell, which has been a Godsend.  I put in on right before heading to the range and it makes the pain subside for at least 4-5 hours and golf is pain-free fun again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanner25 said:

I did the turf toe taping for a couple of years before I finally was told to get my shoe modified.  I don’t think the taping helped much.

I now have my new Sqairz shoes, with the right shoe modded by Larossa.  Actually the stock left one is virtually as stiff in the forefoot.  So maybe try some Sqairz.

• Like 1

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

47 minutes ago, Snowman9000 said:

I did the turf toe taping for a couple of years before I finally was told to get my shoe modified.  I don’t think the taping helped much.

I now have my new Sqairz shoes, with the right shoe modded by Larossa.  Actually the stock left one is virtually as stiff in the forefoot.  So maybe try some Sqairz.

I was one of the lucky ones who "got" the Sqairz via WRX and so far so good with the Sqairz as far as my OA in my right toe is concerned.  My toe isn't that bad, but my old shoes were creating a pressure point.  Still walking 18 at least once a week.

• Like 2

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

3 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Here's something for your consideration.  My osteo in the right shoulder can make golf beyond painful.  My doc suggested after 2 years to start managing the symptom as the problem wasn't going away.  To my surprise, he recommended a CBD topical called Kerwell, which has been a Godsend.  I put in on right before heading to the range and it makes the pain subside for at least 4-5 hours and golf is pain-free fun again.

I'll check it out. Voltaren has worked for me to get through a round.

Is this the one you use? https://kerwellness.com/products/pain-relief-balm

Edited by Tanner25

23 minutes ago, Tanner25 said:

I'll check it out. Voltaren has worked for me to get through a round.

Is this the one you use? https://kerwellness.com/products/pain-relief-balm

This what I've been using.  https://kerwellness.com/collections/kerwell-brand/products/kerwell-relief-1000mg-broad-spectrum-pain-cream-500mg-nano-cbd-500mg-cbg

The packaging isn't the best and I took the top off but the cream is amazing.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bman89 said:

Hey all, has anyone more recent had shoe modifications done? I understand this is a golf forum however I am having lots of pain at toe off just walking around the house. 

I emailed the LaRossa company listed but wanted to see if anyone else has gone that route. 

You need to get an x-ray or mri asap to see if you have osteoarthritis or something else.  That will narrow down what you need to do.  I thought I had just bruised the ball of my foot and that went on for about 8 months before I got an x-ray and confirmed the early stages of OA.   

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2022 at 7:22 PM, Socrates said:

You need to get an x-ray or mri asap to see if you have osteoarthritis or something else.  That will narrow down what you need to do.  I thought I had just bruised the ball of my foot and that went on for about 8 months before I got an x-ray and confirmed the early stages of OA.   

I’ve been through the process, basically instability in the joint (I’m 32) and no signs of OA as of yet but the pain is there. I ordered a pair and will see how it goes. 

30 minutes ago, Bman89 said:

I’ve been through the process, basically instability in the joint (I’m 32) and no signs of OA as of yet but the pain is there. I ordered a pair and will see how it goes. 

I'm glad you are getting on this early.  I wish I had.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

• 1 year later...
On 4/8/2022 at 5:07 PM, Jersey golfer said:

Good luck!

Hey Jersey, I have flattened archs and big toe arthritis, I have custom fit arch support insoles, but they work some days and not other days.  I can't tell why.  I had a good fit with a pair of FJs but today they hurt.  Can you tell me what kind of inserts you got?  Know anyone who has had toe fusion surgery?

• Like 1