2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

1 hour ago, Colej said:

The TC Tour driver is actually a very nice driver head. The way they depict the adapter settings can be a bit confusing though. I believe Britt said there will be a TC Tour Pro driver head coming. 

TC Tour fairways are rock solid. For the price they’d hard to beat. I’ve handed my 4 wood to people before and they’re shocked how good it is.

Tried to like the TC Tour hybrids but actually tried the STi2 hybrid and it’s better for me, for some goofy reason. I think it’s the sole design (of the STi2) that better fits my game. 🤔 

I’ll also add the ISO-T driver head, from what I hear, is super low spin. Like fall out of the sky low spin. You can pick them up cheap on eBay and I thought about picking up a 9* and build it at a slightly longer length, for scramble purposes only. 

I have a love / hate with hybrids.  A friend of mine has the TC tour hybrids and they look great.  I haven’t hit them yet.  The adapter settings on the driver do look a little confusing. I’d be very interested in the TC pro driver.  

• Like 1

I have the tour TC hybrids. Had the old ke4 prior...they were the same shape. The hybrids appear to have a little offset. Probably not measurable..but that's how they appear. I had two errors with them. Either a pull hook( real bad) or a push. I think it came from the appearance of offset. I switched to hybrids with more of a fairway onset look and had better results.

I am getting ready to build the STi hybrids. They do not have the offset appearence.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Murv said:

I have the tour TC hybrids. Had the old ke4 prior...they were the same shape. The hybrids appear to have a little offset. Probably not measurable..but that's how they appear. I had two errors with them. Either a pull hook( real bad) or a push. I think it came from the appearance of offset. I switched to hybrids with more of a fairway onset look and had better results.

I am getting ready to build the STi hybrids. They do not have the offset appearence.

The sole of the STi2 sits a bit flatter on the ground than the Ke4 tour does. I am more of a picker and the sole design of the STi2 is better in that regard. 

• Like 2

Its funny, but the one club in my bag not a Maltby is the hybrid. 

As a digger I like a compact head with a rocker sole. A customer traded in a Cobra Baffler T-rail 4 for a Ke4 TC Hybrid. 

The head was near new. I reshafted it with a RTi 95 S. It's my 'Absolutely have to hit the fairway' club. 

My one nit-pic at the KE4 Hybrid is that the face length is a bit long for my liking. While the HDI heads work great for me, I can't seem to get a higher flight with those. Low straight screamers all day long. But not what I need a hybrid for. 

• Like 1

I've continued to hit my test TS1 3i.  Decided to put it in the bag in place of my Golden Ram 3i to give it more of a workout.  My course has two longish par 3 holes on the back nine, 175 & 196 from white tees, 200 & 212 from blue tees, both playing in to any possible prevailing wind.  Plenty of chances to use the 3i.  😉

The clacky feel I mentioned in my first post about the TS1 has not made an appearance lately.  I expect it came from hitting the ball a little high on the clubface, which is a not uncommon miss for me.  Overall, the feel has been quite good.  I'm getting a good trajectory from the club (RT95 stiff, FWIW), and decent/nice distance.  It's a touch longer than my Ram 3i, but it's not a stark difference.

I've had some chances to test the ability to work the ball with it, and its been great.  Yesterday's round gave me a par 5 second shot to turn over, around a tree, turning the ball up the dogleg, with OB right.  It did exactly what I wanted it to do.

Where I'm really liking the 3i is the sole and turf interaction.  Not a hint of digging.  Playing with Golden Rams and being a little more upright in swing plane, it's an interesting contrast.

Definitely a club worth looking at, especially for a confirmed blade user.  🙂

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

9 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

I've continued to hit my test TS1 3i.  Decided to put it in the bag in place of my Golden Ram 3i to give it more of a workout.  My course has two longish par 3 holes on the back nine, 175 & 196 from white tees, 200 & 212 from blue tees, both playing in to any possible prevailing wind.  Plenty of chances to use the 3i.  😉

The clacky feel I mentioned in my first post about the TS1 has not made an appearance lately.  I expect it came from hitting the ball a little high on the clubface, which is a not uncommon miss for me.  Overall, the feel has been quite good.  I'm getting a good trajectory from the club (RT95 stiff, FWIW), and decent/nice distance.  It's a touch longer than my Ram 3i, but it's not a stark difference.

I've had some chances to test the ability to work the ball with it, and its been great.  Yesterday's round gave me a par 5 second shot to turn over, around a tree, turning the ball up the dogleg, with OB right.  It did exactly what I wanted it to do.

Where I'm really liking the 3i is the sole and turf interaction.  Not a hint of digging.  Playing with Golden Rams and being a little more upright in swing plane, it's an interesting contrast.

Definitely a club worth looking at, especially for a confirmed blade user.  🙂

Good to hear! I have the TS1 irons down to the 4i and they are amazing. I put an incredible swing onto one yesterday with a bit of a tail wind as my second shot into a par five with the green being reachable from where I was sitting at 205 yards to the centre of the green. I've never been on this green in two despite having two eagles on it from chip in. I completely flushed the ball and thought to myself "Oh I'll be putting for eagle!" Alas, I was over the green and Arccos tells me that I hit it 233 yards total. These clubs FLY when you put a good aggressive swing on them, they like it when you are aggressive through the ball. 

All that to say, you won't be disappointed with your three iron; they are fantastic, feel amazing, and look wonderful in the bag. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 2:03 PM, Eric49er said:

I received my KE4Max 5-iron that I ordered last week.  I bought the custom shop build,  with a least expensive A flex graphite shaft.  I like that option because I get to pick a longer shaft (I am 6'4), a different lie angle,  and the grip I want (GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G).   I wanted to try a 5 iron instead of 7 iron because I love my DBM 7 iron, and won't replace that until I get a feel for the KE4Max.  Shipping was fast as always, I ordered on Tuesday last week and received the club today (Monday).  I am headed to play in the Spark league this afternoon, and anxious to see how things go.  I hit a lot of pushes and fades with my current DBM 5-iron, wondering if I can hit this new one better.  In case you are interested, and wanted to see the side by side difference, I am including pics of the new one with the older DBM 5 iron that I bought about a year ago. (ignore the dog hairs in the pics!)

end.jpg

side.jpg

side2.jpg

My KE4 MAX 4 iron has become a very reliable club that delivers excellent distance with little effort. Long par 3’s, layups on par 5’s, approaches to greens — it is stellar. No hesitation to play any shot with it. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

On 8/11/2022 at 9:21 PM, SE Gamer said:

Or even the TS1-IM. I was ready to pull the trigger on new irons this year (TS1). And as tough as it's been not to, I'm 98% committed to holding out for the new Maltby offerings coming in the next year.

Lol I see your recent post on the maltby forum. I’m excited to see what Britt says as well. I am eagerly awaiting spring to make a trip to golfworks and load up. I’m about a 3 hour drive and have to somehow incorporate the wife and kids into a Weekend trip. I had my credit card out for some ts1s with DG120s in X until I called and they didn’t have any of those shaft in stock. Then I heard about the ts1im and put the credit card back once more. And I won’t even mention the ts3/4 on deck……..

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bryceslu said:

Lol I see your recent post on the maltby forum. I’m excited to see what Britt says as well. I am eagerly awaiting spring to make a trip to golfworks and load up. I’m about a 3 hour drive and have to somehow incorporate the wife and kids into a Weekend trip. I had my credit card out for some ts1s with DG120s in X until I called and they didn’t have any of those shaft in stock. Then I heard about the ts1im and put the credit card back once more. And I won’t even mention the ts3/4 on deck……..

Lol. I figured why wait around for more info and created an account just to ask about it. 

Britt responded a few hours ago. Short version, the IM will have more polymer injected (assuming for sound/feel), slightly stronger lofts, less offset, and a different finish. 

Pretty excited to see that he's projecting sometime in the spring. Sooner than I would have thought. Timing might line up nicely for your trip out here. Think I'll definitely be holding off for the IM model. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SE Gamer said:

Lol. I figured why wait around for more info and created an account just to ask about it. 

Britt responded a few hours ago. Short version, the IM will have more polymer injected (assuming for sound/feel), slightly stronger lofts, less offset, and a different finish. 

Pretty excited to see that he's projecting sometime in the spring. Sooner than I would have thought. Timing might line up nicely for your trip out here. Think I'll definitely be holding off for the IM model. 

Maltby definitely has some strong offerings coming up. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SE Gamer said:

Hmm not really looking for any stronger lofts. The other changes seem alright. Wonder what the new finish will be.

Might be a ts1 vs ts1im battle after all. I was assuming the changes wouldn’t be that much. 
I am excited for a trip next year to see all that I can see, post IM and ts3 that is. 

24 minutes ago, Bryceslu said:

Hmm not really looking for any stronger lofts. The other changes seem alright. Wonder what the new finish will be.

Might be a ts1 vs ts1im battle after all. I was assuming the changes wouldn’t be that much. 
I am excited for a trip next year to see all that I can see, post IM and ts3 that is. 

Yeah. I'm good with the lofts of the current model. Which are a little over a club stronger than my 10-ish year old blades. Don't necessarily need stronger. But he's saying .5 to 1 degrees stronger across the set for the IM model. So based on previous intel, that seems to confirm they're going after more precise gapping. As opposed to just cranking the lofts down. 

Could always be bent a little weaker if the other changes are desirable enough over the current TS1. And if not, going with the tried and true model isn't a bad thing. Who knows, if they decide to eliminate the "old" TS1, maybe there'll be some closeout deals on that model. 

So I'm a 30 year old getting into golf. I'm around a +20, using like 15 year old top flight irons. I fell down the YouTube hole and somehow fell on the takomo 101s. But continuing my search just looking for the most bang for my buck on a very forgiving gi iron, I'm now here. 

I was looking at the ts2 but after reading the last few pages, I'm now curious if the ke4 max is a better idea.  

But I'm just noticing it's not available in Canada yet? This site is also alittle confusing lol. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Andrew7447 said:

So I'm a 30 year old getting into golf. I'm around a +20, using like 15 year old top flight irons. I fell down the YouTube hole and somehow fell on the takomo 101s. But continuing my search just looking for the most bang for my buck on a very forgiving gi iron, I'm now here. 

I was looking at the ts2 but after reading the last few pages, I'm now curious if the ke4 max is a better idea.  

But I'm just noticing it's not available in Canada yet? This site is also alittle confusing lol. 

If you take big divots, I’d recommend the Max.  If you scoop or pick the ball without much divot, I’d say TS2.

• Like 2

M4 Driver
5, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

24 minutes ago, Andrew7447 said:

After a lifetime of hitting forged and players irons, I recently bought the KE4 Max.  I would highly recommend them.  Since you are new, make the game as easy as possible.  You can always move to players irons as your skills increase.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Snowman9000 said:

If you take big divots, I’d recommend the Max.  If you scoop or pick the ball without much divot, I’d say TS2.

Think I'm leaning on the max, it's not on the Canadian site yet tho? Are they too new yet?

15 minutes ago, Klubster said:

After a lifetime of hitting forged and players irons, I recently bought the KE4 Max.  I would highly recommend them.  Since you are new, make the game as easy as possible.  You can always move to players irons as your skills increase.

That's definitely the game plan. I've tried blades and was just miserable lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Andrew7447 said:

Think I'm leaning on the max, it's not on the Canadian site yet tho? Are they too new yet?

That's definitely the game plan. I've tried blades and was just miserable lol. 

There’s also a maltby forum where Britt Lindsey (VP of technical services) and Jim Yachinich (lead instructor for the club repair classes) monitor and answer questions or concerns. 

https://ralphmaltby.com/forum/

Edited by Colej

1 hour ago, Colej said:

There’s also a maltby forum where Britt Lindsey (VP of technical services) and Jim Yachinich (lead instructor for the club repair classes) monitor and answer questions or concerns. 

https://ralphmaltby.com/forum/

Thanks I did email them.  I might call tm if I get the time. 

58 minutes ago, SE Gamer said:

I'd second the forum. Fastest way I've gotten a response outside of dropping by their HQ.

Good luck getting them on the phone. The way I'd describe it. While they're a big operation, they're not a big corporation. So they don't have a massive CS department just sitting around waiting to answer phones. 

I'd tried calling them with no answer. Kinda left a little bad taste in my mouth. Ultimately just made the trip out there (about 20 minutes from me). In person service was outstanding. And learned what I've conveyed above in the process. The guys in the pro-shop/club repair area are the ones who are responsible for the phones. But they're often doing other stuff (e.g. fittings, doing repairs, etc.). They'll answer if they happen to be near the phone and not helping someone. But it sounded like that wasn't a super common occurrence. 

OTOH, recently started a thread on the Maltby forum to inquire about the coming TS1-IM model. Got a response within hours straight from Britt. 

In spite of the difficulty one might have reaching them by phone, they're outstanding folks to do business with and I'd highly recommend them.

A lot of times someone answering the phone.. is doing so to help out as they are swamped. They have never been busier. Like many companies employees are hard to come by. 

A note about the KE4 Max. I played in a Tourney where you only had 4 clubs. I took driver 5i and GW. I was able to manufacture shots all day long. Gw was from 145 yards down to green side bumps. The 5i was just as versatile. It covered shots from 160 to 205. Got a closest to the pin on one par 3 and a scat on another par 3. The versatility left me in awe. The course was completely burned out as we have had little rain this year. So conditions were from crusty grass to pure hardpan.

Shot -2 on my ball. I missed 4 putts inside of 5 feet. My lack of putting skills makes me a Lunatic. 

But long story short I was all over the flag on a bunch of holes. Only missed 3 greens. These irons have really opened my eyes to an easy to hit iron. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SE Gamer said:

I'd second the forum. Fastest way I've gotten a response outside of dropping by their HQ.

Good luck getting them on the phone. The way I'd describe it. While they're a big operation, they're not a big corporation. So they don't have a massive CS department just sitting around waiting to answer phones. 

I'd tried calling them with no answer. Kinda left a little bad taste in my mouth. Ultimately just made the trip out there (about 20 minutes from me). In person service was outstanding. And learned what I've conveyed above in the process. The guys in the pro-shop/club repair area are the ones who are responsible for the phones. But they're often doing other stuff (e.g. fittings, doing repairs, etc.). They'll answer if they happen to be near the phone and not helping someone. But it sounded like that wasn't a super common occurrence. 

OTOH, recently started a thread on the Maltby forum to inquire about the coming TS1-IM model. Got a response within hours straight from Britt. 

In spite of the difficulty one might have reaching them by phone, they're outstanding folks to do business with and I'd highly recommend them.

Ok thanks I made a post too. 

I find it very weird that it seems this fourm really supports this business and their products. But looking for any other reviews online and some videos, it's like a ghost town. 

I get the whole spend no money on marketing and keep the savings to the consumer. But maybe sending some clubs to the bigger YouTubers or something isn't a bad idea ?

51 minutes ago, Andrew7447 said:

Ok thanks I made a post too. 

I find it very weird that it seems this fourm really supports this business and their products. But looking for any other reviews online and some videos, it's like a ghost town. 

I get the whole spend no money on marketing and keep the savings to the consumer. But maybe sending some clubs to the bigger YouTubers or something isn't a bad idea ?

Jim McCleery of MCGolf does review Maltby products. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TallGuy90 said:

There Is always Sub70 which gives you a 60 day guarantee. They are on the higher end of price but you’ll also feel secure. since your in CA maybe look at Haywood? 

if your cost conscious a DTC brand like Maltby isn’t the way to go. 

I'm confused are you saying Maltby isn't a good dollar value to the others?