Minneapolis Golf Club or Golden Valley CC?

JvH

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

North Oaks is a solid track in a very nice neighborhood. Getting there from Minneapolis during rush hour may be a hassle. If I lived in downtown Minneapolis I'd consider Midland, Minikahda or Town & Country.

Callaway Mavrik driver

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 4-wood
Mizuno MP20 HMB 3-5 irons
Mizuno MP20 6-pw

Mizuno T20 50*, 55* and 60* wedges
Bettinardi BB25 putter
Titleist Pro V1x ball

MGC range and sheer volume of voracious golf members that play a ton got annoying, but for the price and the location and the fact that you can play oak ridge anytime after 12 for $25 and a cart (and not see a soul) is a good deal. But I have heard they are losing members and that situation remains volatile. It’s a great starter club, which is both a positive and a negative.

Minnekada is shutting down the course around now if they haven’t already to completely re-seed the entire thing. I’m sure they have or will have a break on downstroke this winter, but it’s always all about the dues. They are in same area code as ICC around 900-1000ish.

Traffic is hard to avoid unless you live close enough to your course to avoid the main arteries (the curse of living where lots of people like to live). Probably why MGC and GV are relatively popular despite their short-comings. They are both really convenient for anyone working/living in the west metro.

I'll be hitting the road at 3:30 to make it to my 5:00 men's club event tonight. Should give me enough time for a beer to wind down from the traffic.

• 1 month later...

A little off topic but not too much: Northland Country Club has a great National Membership for those living further than 100 miles from the club. I did it last year and really enjoyed it. The rates are going up next year but I can provide referrals based on my membership for the legacy pricing. No initiation and $1,500 total for the season gets you an entire full membership for your entire family. No other fees, unlimited Golf. I am probably going to do this for another season.

A little off topic but not too much: Northland Country Club has a great National Membership for those living further than 100 miles from the club. I did it last year and really enjoyed it. The rates are going up next year but I can provide referrals based on my membership for the legacy pricing. No initiation and $1,500 total for the season gets you an entire full membership for your entire family. No other fees, unlimited Golf. I am probably going to do this for another season.

I myself am a memeber at NCC and I have tried to talk my friends who live in the cities. To take advantage of this great deal.

Yes it seems as though it’s been quite successful. Just pondering if I should give it another go next season. My ONLY complaint was the traffic on 35 during peak times that made the journey 3.5 hours instead of 2.5.

Yea that does suck. It was always nice to leave Duluth on the weekends heading south and seeing the traffic coming north. But that is a tough deal to pass up for the course and views.

• 2 weeks later...

Checking in for fun to see if anyone has a club update - joining, passing, etc? That Northland deal sounds great.

On a related note, I recently toured the new Braemar. Looks like a good track. Choices and strategy for each hole. Par 4 18th is a birdie hole by design - architect wants a match to be won with a birdie and for rec players to finish their round with a good feeling vs. having 18 be a brute.

Wide fairways, not a lot of hazards, and the course is a lot more open now. Lots of trees have been removed. Targeting a mid-May opening. Tips 6,8xx, regular 6,3xx yards. Par 72. (The Clunie 9 that no one liked is gone).

The range was updated a couple of years ago, the putting green was re-seeded to match the course's greens and there is also a separate chipping area and a bunker area.

I also saw and heard that Minikahda has been re-seeded and they are targeting a July 2019 opening.

Checking in for fun to see if anyone has a club update - joining, passing, etc? That Northland deal sounds great.

On a related note, I recently toured the new Braemar. Looks like a good track. Choices and strategy for each hole. Par 4 18th is a birdie hole by design - architect wants a match to be won with a birdie and for rec players to finish their round with a good feeling vs. having 18 be a brute.

Wide fairways, not a lot of hazards, and the course is a lot more open now. Lots of trees have been removed. Targeting a mid-May opening. Tips 6,8xx, regular 6,3xx yards. Par 72. (The Clunie 9 that no one liked is gone).

The range was updated a couple of years ago, the putting green was re-seeded to match the course's greens and there is also a separate chipping area and a bunker area.

I also saw and heard that Minikahda has been re-seeded and they are targeting a July 2019 opening.

I am very excited to play the new Braemar course next year. I wonder what the rates will be and what a membership there would cost?

I would recommend joining Northland, the course there is so good. It might be the best course in the state in my opinion.

I am very excited to play the new Braemar course next year. I wonder what the rates will be and what a membership there would cost?

I would recommend joining Northland, the course there is so good. It might be the best course in the state in my opinion.

I contacted Braemar for a golf event next October. On a Friday afternoon, it would be $99 per player (includes cart and range balls). That's up there in Stoneridge territory (or even higher).

I contacted Braemar for a golf event next October. On a Friday afternoon, it would be $99 per player (includes cart and range balls). That's up there in Stoneridge territory (or even higher).

Wow! I had no idea they were planning to charge those type of rates. For a Friday afternoon, that might be even more than Rush Creek or Legends. Well, at least they'll be plenty of room on the tee sheet at those rates.

Wow! I had no idea they were planning to charge those type of rates. For a Friday afternoon, that might be even more than Rush Creek or Legends. Well, at least they'll be plenty of room on the tee sheet at those rates.

Keep in mind those are event rates (shotgun start), but still, that's pretty high.

Keep in mind those are event rates (shotgun start), but still, that's pretty high.

Alright, good to know. I just hope the rates are reasonable because the course is directly between my house and my work so I may end up playing it a lot.

Anyone know what a membership/season pass at the old Braemar was or what it will be at the new course? I am assuming it'll be around $2k but that's just a pure guess.

I was told the course wants to be busy and price competitive so I am anticipating a Saturday morning, 18 hole walking rate between $44-49. Add in cart, range balls, and tax and I think one would be looking at $70-75 all in. (The course is very walkable and they will be using nine minute tee times).

$2k give or take for a season pass sounds about right.

• 1 month later...

Zinger (or anybody else) - have you looked at Rochester Golf & CC? It's a Tillinghast that's currently undergoing a restoration by Doak (back to Tillinghast's original intent) and is said to open Spring 2019. Quite a get by the club to get Doak to do this imo.

They have a National Membership although I don't know how it might compare to Northland in terms of the course and cost. But it would chop off quite a bit of your drive time and you'd get out of the "cabin traffic" on weekends.

Evidently Tillinghast's daughter married a doctor who worked at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester and he agreed to design a course there with the stipulation that his daughter and husband get a lifetime membership.