Sigma 2 Tyne 4 vs 7s vs Spider Tour

drvrwdge

Anyone had a chance to roll the Tyne 4 or specifically compare it to the O-Works 7s or Spider Tour? I’ve fallen in love with the flow neck and played the 7s for a while with great success. Like a dummy went back to my Redwood Anser but now that I e seen the Tyne 4 I’m looking to jump. I’ve rolled it in store and the 7s and Spider seem to set up a little more flat to me which I prefer but all of their lie angles are the same per OEM web sites. I guess I could always order the Tyne in red dot just just sure if it will give the result I’m looking for.

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had both the 7s and the Spider tour black. I would pick whatever you can aim best. The 3 lines on the 7s were really hard for me to aim and I struggled at starting putts on target. The blank spider is easier for me to aim the face perpendicularly to my target line. Obviously, this is person specific.

I think both roll the ball very well. Spider insert is firmer.

Spider feels much higher MOI to me but I’m not sure actual numbers. The 7s never felt very high MOI to me. Sweet spot didn’t feel very big. Spider feels more stable and tracks back and forth in my stroke smoother. No wobbles.

Spider does feel like it sets up flatter, but it’s an illusion I think.

I said in a different thread before that most people attribute the success of the spider tour to the addition of the slant neck. I think the real reason the spider tour has enjoyed such popularity is due to the lack of alignment lines. There aren’t many putters that offer this and I think a significant number of people aim best this way.

I've rolled them all. IMO, the Tyne looks better and feels better than the others - the roll seems great as well. I haven't ever been able to get on board with the Spider - the lie feels weird and it doesn't seem as solid to me. I would consider either the Tyne 4 or the Odyssey 7. If I had to game one, it'd be the Tyne 4.

I picked up the original Tyne 4 last month. I wanted to love a flow neck, but find the plumbers neck better suits me. I tested a lot of spiders and 7’s and just didn’t fall in love with any. The look and setup of the ping are terrific. My only complaint is that the feel is a little tingy. Ping said the new sigmas were softer. I haven’t been able to try any to compare yet. Hope this helps.

Stealth+ Driver, Hzrdus Black Gen4 60

Stealth+ 3W, Hzrdus Black Gen4 70

PXG Gen6 5W, Hzrdus Black Gen4 70

Titleist U505 4 iron, Hzrdus Black RDX Smoke 90

Mizuno Pro 223 5-P, Nippon Modus 105

Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 60M, S200

Jailbird 380 White Hot

I owned the red tour twice. A 7s once and currently have a spider tour black and a custom tyne 4. Custom as in i ordered it with black shaft and red dot lie,3 degrees loft, with pp58 cord grip. The tyne 4 for me is by far the best so far. The flatter lie angle makes it sit more like the tour black but it feels much better and my distance control is best its ever been. The face truly works. I also prefer the look of the head the most and the alignment is the best of em. I usually dont like alignment aids of any sort but it frames the ball so well i feel very confident inside 5 ft.

All other putters are for sale now.

I owned the red tour twice. A 7s once and currently have a spider tour black and a custom tyne 4. Custom as in i ordered it with black shaft and red dot lie,3 degrees loft, with pp58 cord grip. The tyne 4 for me is by far the best so far. The flatter lie angle makes it sit more like the tour black but it feels much better and my distance control is best its ever been. The face truly works. I also prefer the look of the head the most and the alignment is the best of em. I usually dont like alignment aids of any sort but it frames the ball so well i feel very confident inside 5 ft.

All other putters are for sale now.

Is there an upcharge for the black shaft?

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

• 2 months later...

I got fitted on puttlab last week and after trying the odyssey works, scottys and odyssey 7 I went for the sigma2 Tyne 4.

I have a slight arc to my swing where as the Tyne 4 is marketed towards strong arc so initially I discounted it.

My old putter was a Yes Sophia traditional shape which I loved. Slim pistol grip made lag putting much easier but I’ve always suffered with a slight pull left especially on short need to make putts.

Due to my forward press the fitter lifted up 2 degrees as I was actually -1 degree at impact.

Putter length adjusted to 34 and 3 quarter inches. The results were remarkable.

I’m a decent putter but being fitted has opened my eyes. With sigma fitted exactly my consistency in regards to ball strike rose from 70% to 95% and my path was even higher at 98%.

The sigma Tyne face is superb. Almost silent at 4 foot and a nice solid “tick” noise further out but with a soft responsive feel. The grip is awesome. Not to tacky or soft but doesn’t feel like it will slip.

After and hour of testing and making 10/10 9 foot putts I was sold.

First two rounds with the new club and I didn’t 3 putt once and made some key putts. Easy to align and not fussy to look down at. Absolutely buzzing with my new sigma. Hopefully it will serve me well for years to come.

Get fitted people. It’s the only way to be 100% sure you have the best club for you.

Yeah I ended ordering a Sigma2 Tyne 4. 36" Red Dot, fixed length Stealth shaft, PP58 Midsize Black cord grip. Think is pretty sick! Played in a "Go Deep" tourney Saturday, 8" cups, and conditions were brutal. 20-25 mph consistent and 50 degrees. I did shoot -3 though and rolled it extremely well so I am more than pleased.

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

I just spent about an hour on a SAM put lab. I ended up with the PING Sigma 2 Tyne, 2nd in line was the Spider Tour going by the numbers

They both felt amazing. I'm glad the Tyne gave me better numbers since I preferred the look and feel of the TYNE.

Regarding the O Works, I have putted that several times. I love thew way it set up, but it's a bit harsh/hard feeling off the face if that makes any sense.

• 6 months later...

Long term Odyssey Tank 7 putter guy here. Here are my thoughts after 5+ years with the Odyssey Tank series and now moving to a Ping Sigma 3 Tyne 4 (silver in color / 5 grams heavier than dark Tyne Stealth).

+ I tried to like the new O-Works insert. As other said here, simply too harsh. Not nearly enough feel.

+ The Tyne 4 has amazing feel. Love the soft insert. Even better than some of the softer white hot inserts on the Odyssey series.

+ I am using the black dot (standard) and set it down to 32 inches (adjustable from 32-36). I am 5 foot 9 and like to crouch a bit but not crazy so. I am also a left hand low putter. I did not realize that I had been varying my club length (where I grip) so much on the 35 inch Odyssey putter. This is not that putters fault but setting the Tyne at your EXACT length you like, and then ALWAYS gripping it at the end, removes an amazing amount of variability. At least for me. Your confidence soars as a result. Again, it did for me.

+ The Tyne series is set up for you to make a slight inside arc takeaway. I would not recommend this to the straight back / straight through crowd. This is not the putter for them.

+ As taught by some of the major putting guru's now, I simply use the big muscles in my back to take the putter back on the inside arc. The Tyne seems to come nicely into the back of the ball....and crazy square at impact....

+ ....especially if you let the Tyne continue on its forward arc. The ball holds a tight roll when you do this. To me, this putter is as close to "automatic" as I have ever owned or used. I cannot believe the tight/straight roll with great feel.

+

Here are some other things I like:

+ The weight is perfect. at 375/380 grams (cannot remember which) ....it is perfect even at it's shortest length of 32 inches long.

+ I have not tested the adjustable factor but will play with it later. I can imagine bumping it up to 33 inches for slower greens (our greens are fast right now).

+ I love the Ping PP60 grip. The triangle shape with the flat top and mid-size feels very comfortable for a person with standard size hands (Titleist Cadet ML gloves).

+ I have not felt any "flex" in the shaft at all. Will keep testing and report back.

+ 6-8 footers are as nearly automatic as I can ever remember.

Good luck. Play well. Go test a Tyne at your local golf store. I think you will be impressed also.