Putting lesson?

ezra76

Anyone ever do one?
I'll be getting a sizeable paycheck next week. I'll most likely be doing another full swing lesson, half hour for $50. I am seriously considering a putting lesson as the full swing lessons are producing stellar results. I'm on the verge of doubling my FW's hit and GIR but I'm just not converting and even 3 putting at a higher rate. I practice putting regularly, about 2 hours per week at home and at the range green. Looking to step it up and get rid of the doubts, build a solid stroke. Anyone ever take a putting only lesson? I'm not even sure where to look for one, I may ask my instructor for a recommendation. I'd like to get one from someone who primarlily specializes in putting though.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took a putting only lesson two weeks ago and it has really helped. Putting has been the weakest part of my game and is the only thing that really stands between me and single digit handicap. Used the head pro at pga superstore here in Atlanta. He showed me one big problem I had which was hands behind the ball instead of slightly in front. This adjustment has made an enormous difference for me.

Beyond that he mostly talked mental attitude and hooked me up with Dr. Bob Rotella's book "Putting Out of Your Mind". Excellent book.

What the putting lesson really did for me was give me confidence in my mechanics (after the adjustment mentioned above). Now I can work hard on my putting each day, either inside or on the practice green, and be confident that I am practicing the right things, not the wrong things.

I thought it was interesting, the pro who gave the lesson said that only a few fundamentals really apply to putting. Beyond that, the putter, the weight, the grip, really are matter of taste. Just pick something you like and stick with it. But it is worth it to have a pro review your method to be sure you do have the fundamentals down correctly. I think it was $30 for 45 minutes and this was the best $30 I ever spent.

I also took one a couple of weeks ago. Found out I had a good stroke with poor tempo and too much head movement. Been working on both had 5 birdies on Sunday personal best.

George

Ummm... OK, this put me over the edge, I'm getting one. :) That's awesome man. I've had more looks than ever and it's driving me nuts that I can't convert.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Another book to check out is "See it and Sink it" by Dr. Craig Farnsworth.

Has some really interesting insights into the BIG difference between "what we see" and "what our brains compute we see" and how to train ourselves to make them match.

Similar to feel vs. real.

But as far as lessons go...it won't hurt. Just remember putting isn't rocket science. As long as you can make a repeatable move at the ball...it doesn't matter what the face angle/path or whatever is (unlike a full swing) as long as you can get the ball started on the line that you want.

Also remember that the more GIRs you hit the worse you putting "looks" as far as stats go. But like mentioned before...if you aren't putting the ball close enough to the hole, it's not your putting at fault...it's still your ball striking.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

I'll be getting a sizeable paycheck next week. I'll most likely be doing another full swing lesson, half hour for $50. I am seriously considering a putting lesson as the full swing lessons are producing stellar results. I'm on the verge of doubling my FW's hit and GIR but I'm just not converting and even 3 putting at a higher rate. I practice putting regularly, about 2 hours per week at home and at the range green. Looking to step it up and get rid of the doubts, build a solid stroke. Anyone ever take a putting only lesson? I'm not even sure where to look for one, I may ask my instructor for a recommendation. I'd like to get one from someone who primarlily specializes in putting though.

I took one from my bro-in-law (who's a pro) a couple of years ago, and it was eye opening. He had me hit about 6 15 foot putts. 2 of them went right of the hole, and he asked what I thought I had done on those... I said I pushed them. Nope, the other 4 I cut across, and the 2 I thought I pushed were good strokes! So we worked on keeping the putter lower and coming a little inside (or at least, it FELT inside) on the takeaway.

Now I need to find my 6" tripod and tape myself. I'm sure I could see it in about 2 seconds...

I went to pro here in Atlanta and did a whole fitting / lesson. He put me on the machine and I got to see how my stroke looks and how it stacks up against some professional numbers. Then we took it out to the putting green and talked about thought process and preshot stuff. He really had me simplify things, find the line, practice the right stroke for the distance, and them hit it. I was trying to do everthing thing at the same time and usually my distance control was suffering.

If I may just throw this out there. I saw playing lessons from the pros with Scott McCarron and he had a great drill. First of all the main thing with putting is distance control, once you got the line and read the break it is all about rolling the putt the right distance. That being said Scott had one of his pupils close his eyes and walk to the hole and put his putter down when he thinks he has reached the hole. His comment after the amatuer came up short was that most amatuers come up short, and most pros go past the hole. I mention this because you can do this drill where ever, when ever. Just trying to train yourself to what actual distance perception is.

That and of course Tiger Woods's putting drill in this months Golf Digest. He must be running out of tip ideas, or he must really like because it was the same tip he gave in November 2005 GD. Seeing how he is an okay putter you may to try it out.

That being said I will be follwong you posts to see how you make out with the lessons. I am just up 95/495 a bit, and used to play in a league at Triggs and REALY miss it. One tip about Triggs most all of the greens break towards the school.

It is all about distance control as is stated directly above. This is your brain learning how to read the distance and then translating that into length of stroke. The problem that many people run into is that if your stroke is not consistent and if you are not making good contact with the ball, then your brain won't be able to make any connection between your length of stroke and the distance the ball goes.

This was my problem before my recent lesson. I was "scooping" the ball because my hands were too far behind the ball. I believe this is the value of a lesson.....you want to be sure your basic fundamentals are in place. Once you are confident of the fundamentals, then you can work on the drills such as improving distance control.

You can try to figure out the fundamentals all day long by yourself, or having a golfing buddy look at you, but I think getting a pro to do it is the best way, that way there is no doubt.

I'm still poking around for an instructor. I've been working on the stroke and trying to take my left hand out even more. I've been trying to train myself to put it past the hole and do OK most of the time. Last round I left a bunch short though.

Triggs has a few tricky greens but when they are in prime shape I love them. I may have to try to get on tomorrow. What's good for courses/prices up your way? I've been hitting the Swansea CC last few rounds. That's decent at $31 weekday and 6900 off the tips. Don't know if you've ever played there but other than some wires that run over a few holes out back it's quickly becoming my favorite course, very good balance of price/access/challenge.

Putting has always been my downfall. I still wish I could one putt more from outside of 12-15 feet, but my three putts are few and far between.

My big thing is to make sure I have my eyes over the ball -- I tend to see a "truer" line that way. Beyond that, I am trying to play for more break, this seems to be especially important at new courses I've never played at before.

Triggs has a few tricky greens but when they are in prime shape I love them. I may have to try to get on tomorrow. What's good for courses/prices up your way? I've been hitting the Swansea CC last few rounds. That's decent at $31 weekday and 6900 off the tips. Don't know if you've ever played there but other than some wires that run over a few holes out back it's quickly becoming my favorite course, very good balance of price/access/challenge.

I am really a transplanted Rhode Islander. I have lived in MA the past 9 years or so, but during most of that time before my current gig (see my name) I worked in RI. I would still play most of my golf in the RI area. I am up here near Glen Ellen, and Maple Gate. Stay down there it seems those courses are better priced. My league used to play at Swansea before it moved to Triggs. I grew up playing FireFly & Swamponaug (right next to Swansea) then moved over to play Swansea.

RI courses I liked/played:

My favorites Fenner Hill, Swansea, and Triggs.

Fenner Hill: Good price, greens can get really hard from time to time. I had no problem holding them though but playing partners would complain about it all the time. NICE Links layout. Good deals during the week, not bad on the weekend.

Fowoods gold at Boulder Hills was a good test (somehwat tight) almost broke 80 there. That was when I was playing my best.

Expensive (Name may have changed)

Winnaupoug is decent do not know the price but a nice change of pace. They have a couple of risk reward par fours. Not a big fan of their greens, but that was a while back they might be running faster these days.

Acushnet River Valley Golf Course. The front and back nine are very different. A little pricey but nice condition. Nice track.

Exeter: nice a good change of pace again their greens were a little slow.

Check out

http://rhodygolf.com

PM me if you want more info.

Thanks. Your favorites are mine as well. I play Fenner a lot but have been going over to Swansea lately. I have no trouble holding the greens at Fenner, it's putting them that's tough. They are nothing compared to Valley CC though, my boss is a member there and those things are lightning.

I played Exeter a few times this year and got up there a few weeks back. Those greens are a little slow. It's not a bad course but I always have some sort of problem there it seems. One time they came out and said one of my playing partners had hit into the group in front. He wasn't even close and they should have sped them up and got them off the tips anyway, they were shooting 3-6 over on every hole. Then last time I started at 2 and didn't finish by dark, which was around 7:30pm.

Boulder Hills has been shut down for a while. They are tearing up the course next to it, Meadowbrook, that's where I learned to play. That's going to be just over 7000 off the tips when they are done and I can't wait to see it. I saw the layout of a 650yd. par 5 that's going to have a 240carry over a pond.

So far I think Swansea is the best all around. I get on no problem, pace of play is always good, price is excellent and it's a challenging course... plus it sets up well for my fade, lol. Put 4 L to R holes in row to start and now you've got a course!!

This is the perfect time to get some help on putting and get ready to bear down and really train a great stroke over the off-season. Good idea to find a reputable pro and get some help first. When you talk with the pro, ask him/her what type of stroke they prefer to teach: the arc (Stan Utley) or straight-back-through (Pelz). If you know what type you aspire towards, that could help you decide right there who to go with. Once you figure out your preference, get Utley's book if you like the natural gate stroke or Pelz's book if you like the straight-straight thing. Ask your pro if you have the right kind of putter for your stroke, and get fit for proper lie and length. Otherwise, it's all about mentality and practice and the mentality of your practice. Simple, no?

Good Luck,

Tim

This is the perfect time to get some help on putting and get ready to bear down and really train a great stroke over the off-season. Good idea to find a reputable pro and get some help first. When you talk with the pro, ask him/her what type of stroke they prefer to teach: the arc (Stan Utley) or straight-back-through (Pelz). If you know what type you aspire towards, that could help you decide right there who to go with. Once you figure out your preference, get Utley's book if you like the natural gate stroke or Pelz's book if you like the straight-straight thing. Ask your pro if you have the right kind of putter for your stroke, and get fit for proper lie and length. Otherwise, it's all about mentality and practice and the mentality of your practice. Simple, no?

Good Luck,

Tim

Thanks. I may pick up a Pelz book as well since I go straight back and through. I know that a face balanced putter with minimal toe hang is best for my stroke. I've been using the same Kirk Currie #2 for a few years because of this. It's hard to find an Answer style putter without the heel toe balance.

I'm still looking and asking around for an instructor. It makes practicing so much easier when I know I am doing the same/correct thing everytime. I think, like most of us, I fiddle around with little things too much and end up feeling like I've got a different stroke every 2 weeks.