2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Why are graphite irons no longer popular

Lamb

Someday it will be strange to see someone with a steel iron shaft, just like when the sneaker brigade is out and you see a steel shaft driver

Show me a 130g graphite iron shaft you can get for anywhere remotely close to $20/ea.

Particularly with irons, weight is a much more important factor that shaft profile. It's not about max distance with irons, it's about consistency and more often than not heavier weight will allow for better consistency than lighter.

This prediction isn't one that will come true.

As a long time fitter of 16 years my position is your statement is patently false. I fit 60-75 sets of irons every year and the overwhelmimg majority are NOT the 120-130 gram variants. Far more C-Taper Lite 105, X95/100/105, and Modus 105 are sold in custom builds than their heavier cousins. Consistency involves far more than shaft weight. Lie angle, loft gaping, grip type/size, head style, flex, and shaft material are all important.

I have seen customers gain 10-12 yds per iron with weaker lofts and lighter shafts without sacrificing one iota of accuracy. Why? They load and unload the shaft better with more speed while still squaring the clubface.

Certainly there are those who do need and play better with heavier shafts. They are in the minority of golfers, the strongest and ablest of strikers.

Where did you read 120-130g variants in any of my posts? That is at the absolute heaviest end of the spectrum, by no means am I saying most will fit into that category. Your assumption there is what appears to be "patently false".

We are talking steel vs. graphite, last I checked "C-Taper Lite 105, X95/100/105, and Modus 105" all check in as "steel" and are heavier than the typical graphite iron shaft build. Aren't you backing up my argument here that if you fit more of into these than their lighter graphite counterparts?

What is "patently false" about that?

No, I am talking about weight as your thesis was that heavier shafts performed better. You did not qualify the type of player nor did you specify graphite or steel. I listed all the shafts mentioned as examples of how the market has changed in the last five years. I could have included Recoils, Matrix or other graphite shafts in heavier or similar lighter weights but chose not too. It does not change the industry trend to lighter shafts. The OEMS and shaft manufacturers are not stupid and know what 90% of players should use. Their product offerings reflect that tend.

Lighter = more distance. That's what people are chasing and what you are selling. You even specifically reference distance gains in your post. If you can achieve that without a drop in consistency... great. But for most -assuming they can handle the additional weight- heavier will be more consistent in the long run.

There is plenty of content on this forum written by experts far smarter than myself preaching this philosophy.

It's no surprise people are "fitting" into lighter iron shafts, everyone wants to hit their 7 iron 200 yards and that's certainly possible with modern tech. That doesn't make it the correct approach in fittings.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someday it will be strange to see someone with a steel iron shaft, just like when the sneaker brigade is out and you see a steel shaft driver

Show me a 130g graphite iron shaft you can get for anywhere remotely close to $20/ea.

Particularly with irons, weight is a much more important factor that shaft profile. It's not about max distance with irons, it's about consistency and more often than not heavier weight will allow for better consistency than lighter.

Except that it's already come true with drivers, woods, hybrids, and driving irons.

In all of those cases the goal is increased distance, which lighter graphite shafts can give you. That is not the goal with your irons, consistency is the goal.

I'll stand by my original statement.

Wait a minute -- I included "driving irons" in that list. You mean to tell me that the pros are eschewing hybrids for driving irons with graphite shafts so that they can hit the ball farther AND less consistently?

Except that it's already come true with drivers, woods, hybrids, and driving irons.

In all of those cases the goal is increased distance, which lighter graphite shafts can give you. That is not the goal with your irons, consistency is the goal.

I'll stand by my original statement.

Wait a minute -- I included "driving irons" in that list. You mean to tell me that the pros are eschewing hybrids for driving irons with graphite shafts so that they can hit the ball farther AND less consistently?

Never said anything hybrids vs driving irons so not sure where you're going with that...

But any pro that is playing a graphite shaft in their driving iron is absolutely looking for more distance. I'd be confident saying they'd be more accurate using the shaft from their iron set in the driving irons - and you do see pros take this approach. However, being able to use a graphite shaft in their driving iron to get to 3W distance off the tee is what they are looking to do. Does this come at the expense of some accuracy? Sure, but it also is more accurate than a longer-shafted 3W.

But any pro that is playing a graphite shaft in their driving iron is absolutely looking for more distance. I'd be confident saying they'd be more accurate using the shaft from their iron set in the driving irons - and you do see pros take this approach.

What? Where? I don't see this at all.

However, being able to use a graphite shaft in their driving iron to get to 3W distance off the tee is what they are looking to do. Does this come at the expense of some accuracy? Sure, but it also is more accurate than a longer-shafted 3W.

"Sure"? No. I have no reason to agree with that, especially given that I have no reason to agree with your first part.

But any pro that is playing a graphite shaft in their driving iron is absolutely looking for more distance. I'd be confident saying they'd be more accurate using the shaft from their iron set in the driving irons - and you do see pros take this approach.

What? Where? I don't see this at all.

However, being able to use a graphite shaft in their driving iron to get to 3W distance off the tee is what they are looking to do. Does this come at the expense of some accuracy? Sure, but it also is more accurate than a longer-shafted 3W.

"Sure"? No. I have no reason to agree with that, especially given that I have no reason to agree with your first part.

Are you being serious or just trolling now? Phil Mickelson just won with a KBS steel shaft in his X-Forged UT 3.

http://www.golfwrx.com/544706/phil-mickelsons-winning-witb-2019-att-pebble-beach-national-pro-am/

Just a few others that do this depending on course/bag make-up, to name a few:

-Justin Rose (also just won)

-Tiger Woods

-Jason Day

-Adam Scott

-Cameron Champ

-Bryson DeChambeau

Do I need to go on? I honestly got tired of looking

Heavy weight shafts are a shrinking part of the marketplace. There will always be those that like them and I suspect steel will dominate that segment; a heavy weight graphite shaft sort of defeats the prime advantages of graphite. Regarding consistency, it's the weight that leads to that not the material the shaft is made from.

Take a look at all the iron shafts on tour, it's completely dominated by heavy weight steel iron shafts. Those that like them are the very best in the world at what they do.

You are solidifying my original point on consistency/weight. Read post #48

"Show me a 130g graphite iron shaft you can get for anywhere remotely close to $20/ea.

Particularly with irons, weight is a much more important factor that shaft profile. It's not about max distance with irons, it's about consistency and more often than not heavier weight will allow for better consistency than lighter."

First off, I for one don't care what the pro's play. What works for a guy that makes his living playing golf is immaterial to me. Secondly, I understand that weight is important and steel shafts are cheaper. What's your point with bringing it up to me?

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Are you being serious or just trolling now? Phil Mickelson just won with a KBS steel shaft in his X-Forged UT 3.

http://www.golfwrx.c...ational-pro-am/

-Tiger Woods

-Jason Day

-Adam Scott

-Cameron Champ

-Bryson DeChambeau

Tired of looking? Did you fall asleep before seeing Rickie's and DJ's driving irons' shafts a little further down your linked page? ;)

-Tiger Woods

-Jason Day

-Adam Scott

-Cameron Champ

-Bryson DeChambeau

Tired of looking? Did you fall asleep before seeing Rickie's and DJ's driving irons' shafts a little further down your linked page? ;)

"What? Where? I don't see this at all."

Just give it up man, you were incorrect.

-Tiger Woods

-Jason Day

-Adam Scott

-Cameron Champ

-Bryson DeChambeau

"What? Where? I don't see this at all."

Just give it up man, you were incorrect.

Incorrect about what? This is all opinion. Yeah, you gave examples of pros who STILL use steel shafts in their irons, but are assuming they are for the sake of accuracy (also suggesting that anyone using graphite is foregoing accuracy). I don't see that connection when others appear to be going toward graphite in a driving iron.

We're talking about a trend toward graphite. If the norm was steel in all clubs, especially irons, and now we're seeing more and more graphite in irons (steel in anything other than irons has been the norm for a while now), then there appears to be a trend toward graphite. And if there is a trend toward graphite, especially at all at the Tour level, then it makes little sense to believe that they're doing so at the expense of accuracy. (Admittedly, I'm only basing this opinion on the belief that these guys are trying to win tournaments, not long-drive competitions...)

Heavy weight shafts are a shrinking part of the marketplace. There will always be those that like them and I suspect steel will dominate that segment; a heavy weight graphite shaft sort of defeats the prime advantages of graphite. Regarding consistency, it's the weight that leads to that not the material the shaft is made from.

Take a look at all the iron shafts on tour, it's completely dominated by heavy weight steel iron shafts. Those that like them are the very best in the world at what they do.

You are solidifying my original point on consistency/weight. Read post #48

"Show me a 130g graphite iron shaft you can get for anywhere remotely close to $20/ea.

Particularly with irons, weight is a much more important factor that shaft profile. It's not about max distance with irons, it's about consistency and more often than not heavier weight will allow for better consistency than lighter."

First off, I for one don't care what the pro's play. What works for a guy that makes his living playing golf is immaterial to me. Secondly, I understand that weight is important and steel shafts are cheaper. What's your point with bringing it up to me?

Manima has picked a fight, so everyone is wrong. Guia, on the first page of this thread there is a a link to an ebay listing for either Yamaha or Yonex graphite headed irons.

I back tracked to the first page and see the carbon iron heads. Thanks.

My friend who bought these only played them a little. I hit them a few times and they had a very weird feel. Now that I've thought about it, he would have been an ideal WRXer. Loved to try new stuff, always chasing yards, had about a jillion putters. All this before the internet, fitting, or endless shaft choices.