2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Scotland Trip Report - Pic Heavy

Wanted to share some thoughts and images from my recent two week trip to Scotland. Everything was fantastic. Mid-May is a perfect time to go, as the weather is about as good as it gets, the gorse is still in heavy bloom, the summer crowds haven't arrived yet, and everything (courses, museums, attractions) is open and up to speed. We first stayed in St. Andrews and played the Old Course and Jubilee, Carnoustie, and Kingsbarns, then went to Dornoch for a few days and played Brora, Royal Dornoch, and Castle Stuart, then down to Troon and played Royal Troon and Prestwick. All courses were in good shape, and we never were rained on once while playing and only had one really windy day which was Carnoustie.

It's hard to rank the courses as they're all great in their own ways, but I'd summarize as follows:

1. Royal Dornoch - Great course, superb layout, tests all the shots, and yet is a very fun place that doesn't intimidate on the course or in the clubhouse.

2. Prestwick - A very fun course with some really interesting quirky (in a good way) holes, and a fantastic history and experience. Separately I did a post on my amazing touch with history at Prestwick. It is truly a special place.

3. Old Course - Hey, it's the Old Course. In person it is a lot more interesting than it looks in pictures and TV, and you feel the history with each step.

4. Carnoustie - Tough course but seems very fair, it also tests every club in the bag and the full gamut of shotmaking skills. It isn't real scenic in a macro sense, but the visuals on each shot are very enjoyable.

5. Royal Troon - The first half dozen holes get you into the round with a gentle build up, then you have a half dozen holes as good as you'll find, then the last six gives you a breather and a way to save your score again. Very fun layout, not as challenging as Carnoustie but still a solid test.

6. Jubilee - Actually tougher than the Old Course, with narrower hitting options, but it still isn't intimidating and made a great place for a first round to help shake off the jet lag. The layout is fun and there is a good mix of holes, and since you're still in St. Andrews you feel the history.

7. Brora - A very fun course, it isn't as scenic or dramatic as is Dornoch neighbor but it reveals itself in subtle ways. It has character but is forgiving, and really gives you a lot of options for you you play approach shots and from around the green.

8. Kingsbarns - Very scenic on a great piece of land, and the holes are all interesting, but to me it plays too much like an American course to rank higher - it doesn't seem to present as many options, making you play the ball in the air more instead of giving a lot of ground options.

9. Castle Stuart - Similar to Kingsbarns in how it plays, and although it has lovely views the property isn't quite as dramatic as Kingsbarns. Again, it's basically just a nice American golf course located in the Highlands.

For anyone considering or planning a trip to Scotland, it is a must do, and although it is tempting to pack your time with 36 rounds a day I'd strongly advise building in some down time to enjoy the country. The people are wonderful and friendly, the food is varied, and the scenery is stunning. Enjoy the golf, but to really make it a great experience make sure to enjoy the wonders of Scotland.

Similarly, I'd recommend sticking to more traditional links courses when visiting and pass on the American-style courses there, even though they are very good courses. I truly love the options that links golf offers, giving you a variety of ways to play almost every shot, from never leaving the ground to high shots and everything in between. It adds more decision making to the game and to me makes it much more fun and interesting. I've played several rounds since my return and even though they have been on really nice courses, it almost seems boring by comparison with every shot needing to be high in the air to clear rough or bunkers and then stopping on a modestly sized green. I can play courses like that anytime, but the links style is so interesting I'd skip places like Castle Stuart and Kingsbarns in favor of places like Crail, North Berwick, Nairn, Tain, etc.

Enough commentary, time for some pics:

No. 8 "Postage Stamp" at Royal Troon:

v4dsu0j1z2s0.jpg

Claret Jug at the British Golf Museum:

g6qzqf6vavhi.jpg

Brora:

ihqdhx4dlt4m.jpg

Royal Dornoch:

vvtzrag76mxu.jpg

Kingsbarns:

6m0l8c9mukwa.jpg

The welcoming Royal Dornoch clubhouse:

cjbtgkyp9ovz.jpg

Coming down 18 at Carnoustie, trying to avoid the Barry Burn:

sg0rwwn8nq8g.jpg

The Swilcan Burn, looking at #1 green on The Old Course:

7fcolq2eys0e.jpg

Lunch at Prestwick, mostly visitors but a few very welcoming members too:

uy3pqsa83qwf.jpg

Castle Stuart:

y23463qdc7me.jpg

After playing Himalayas at Prestwick:

w24yt2hi5xs9.jpg

Historical displays at Prestwick:

et2zzre0io92.jpg

North up the coast from Brora:

1wynmybzhg34.jpg

The famous Keys Bar in St. Andrews:

p2wrslkxrsuj.jpg

On the coast south of Troon:

gjirgqholn4a.jpg

St. Andrews Cathedral:

zeuu0f5ewiw9.jpg

Watching Harry Potter head to Hogwarts:

0stzdwq3ctar.jpg

Paying proper respects to Old Tom and Young Tommy:

hx5weybtsgl9.jpg

zp9tammvv4ix.jpg

plq62a08y96m.jpg

c3gmwrnjxqb8.jpg

cusuxc3qf7cr.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome and totally agree. The marathon golf days are great for those who enjoy them, we just couldn't be there and not take in the rest of the country.

I learned about midges on a rainy day above the viaduct for two different runs of the Harry Potter train with my youngest daughter, yikes! But got some great pics. For me, Traigh was the special treat in taking the "long way" to Dornoch via Glenfinnan.

Having been north and to St. Andrews, really looking forward to Prestwick and Royal Troon, etc. and while in North Berwick already have tickets booked for entertainment in the evenings courtesy of the Fringe By The Sea festival that will be going on.

Looking forward to exploring areas we haven't been, but will say again, the scenery to, around and north of Glenfinnan and further north in the Highlands in general was just amazing.

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> Awesome and totally agree. The marathon golf days are great for those who enjoy them, we just couldn't be there and not take in the rest of the country.

>

> I learned about midges on a rainy day above the viaduct for two different runs of the Harry Potter train with my youngest daughter, yikes! But got some great pics. For me, Traigh was the special treat in taking the "long way" to Dornoch via Glenfinnan.

>

> Having been north and to St. Andrews, really looking forward to Prestwick and Royal Troon, etc. and while in North Berwick already have tickets booked for entertainment in the evenings courtesy of the Fringe By The Sea festival that will be going on.

>

> Looking forward to exploring areas we haven't been, but will say again, the scenery to, around and north of Glenfinnan and further north in the Highlands in general was just amazing.

If you are in North Berwick on a Wednesday evening, be sure to make your way down to Walltower House (Main street) to see the local pipe band play. Amazing experience.

Titleist TS2 9.5 HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

TaylorMade M2 3 wood
Ping G5 4 Hybrid Grafalloy ProLuanch Blue Stiff
Titleist AP3 ProjectX LZ 6.0
Titleist Volkey SM7: 48,54
Odyssey Works #7

> @DexterC said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > Awesome and totally agree. The marathon golf days are great for those who enjoy them, we just couldn't be there and not take in the rest of the country.

> >

> > I learned about midges on a rainy day above the viaduct for two different runs of the Harry Potter train with my youngest daughter, yikes! But got some great pics. For me, Traigh was the special treat in taking the "long way" to Dornoch via Glenfinnan.

> >

> > Having been north and to St. Andrews, really looking forward to Prestwick and Royal Troon, etc. and while in North Berwick already have tickets booked for entertainment in the evenings courtesy of the Fringe By The Sea festival that will be going on.

> >

> > Looking forward to exploring areas we haven't been, but will say again, the scenery to, around and north of Glenfinnan and further north in the Highlands in general was just amazing.

>

> If you are in North Berwick on a Wednesday evening, be sure to make your way down to Walltower House (Main street) to see the local pipe band play. Amazing experience.

Neat! We arrive there on a Wednesday afternoon - may play golf that evening, but the wife may just want to hit the Lobster Shack, hang out and watch the band - after a long day of driving and some things we are doing on the way over from Troon, I may be in full agreement with that plan!

> @clp34vmp said:

> Wow! The quality of those pictures is amazing. I'm guessing you were not just using your phone!

Thanks! At the golf courses I carry a tiny Olympus TG-5 and the landscape stuff is mostly an Olympus OMD-EM1. Great setup for travel, fairly small and much lighter than a full frame DSLR.