2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

IMG Junior Worlds

This year’s champion played in our USKG state championship 2-3 weeks ago and I remember another parent in his group mentioned he didn’t look 6. My kid didn’t get to play with this kid at junior world, but played with another one from the same country. I was amazed how huge that kid looked too standing next to mine. His proportion was normal, not particularly tall or fat, just 2 sizes bigger then mine. His level of composure was amazing for a 6 year old as well. Every other kid in the tournament goofed around at one point or another during their rounds, but no, not this kid. He also carried the ball around 85 yards with something like a 6 or 7 iron, pretty amazing...

Agree - great event. I think much more Asia-centric than USKG world’s. I think the top 10 is a more competitive field as well, but overall field is similar in talent. I thought IMG had better swag bags (umbrella, hat and a dozen chrome soft balls) and accommodations (Lakehouse was great) than Pinehurst. Also, weather is 1000X better. But both are the top 12u events IMO. Put them together and you probably have a good idea who the top 20 are in any given age group (although I agree with most on this board that pre-puberty is irrelevant). Also, re size. While there were some big kids in the 9-10 group, I think the winner from China was pretty normal in size. Must have known these greens inside out or had a caddy that did bc 10 under on that course at his size is no joke (not like he was poking it 240)...

Absolutely, the tops kids in 6 and under know the course very well. The Thai kid (winner) got to San Diego 2-3 weeks in advance and played 2 rounds a day. The Japanese daddy caddie in our group had notes all over his yardage book. He knew exactly which club to use and where to aim for all 3 pin locations (we were in the same group for all 3 days). We’re kinda unlucky that this year’s field is so strong. We would’ve gotten 2nd or 3rd in the past 3 years. Oh well, time to start getting ready for next year’s 7-8 group lol.

> @leezer99 said:

> @Kcct82 going 2 weeks early for a 6u kid is insane.

>

Yeah, they are prepared and here to win for sure. Of the 20+ American kids in our age group only one made it into top 10. I’ve added a couple of the kids from Asian countries on Instagram and they practice like crazy everyday. Top kid from Japan practices 3 hours a day. Junior World is a big deal for them and they qualified by winning major championships in their respective counties. For us living in CA, all we had to do was fill out a form online to get in.

> @Kcct82 said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > @Kcct82 going 2 weeks early for a 6u kid is insane.

> >

> Yeah, they are prepared and here to win for sure. Of the 20+ American kids in our age group only one made it into top 10. I’ve added a couple of the kids from Asian countries on Instagram and they practice like crazy everyday. Top kid from Japan practices 3 hours a day. Junior World is a big deal for them and they qualified by winning major championships in their respective counties. For us living in CA, all we had to do was fill out a form online to get in.

>

Once you get to the 9-10 grouping they make you play your way in. And then it's only top 10 that get invited the next year.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

> @Kcct82 said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> >

> Yeah, they are prepared and here to win for sure. Of the 20+ American kids in our age group only one made it into top 10. I’ve added a couple of the kids from Asian countries on Instagram and they practice like crazy everyday. Top kid from Japan practices 3 hours a day. Junior World is a big deal for them and they qualified by winning major championships in their respective counties. For us living in CA, all we had to do was fill out a form online to get in.

>

There approach is wrong you can not know every inch of course everyone you play. It will work in younger goops and quite simply when kids are older you have time to do this.

Reality is a player needs skill and land the ball where they want. Every golfer makes mistakes it what you do aftermade them that matters.

> @Kcct82 said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> >

>

A 6 year old practicing golf 3 hours/day? Better odds than not they will be doing this at age 12-14:

dwge973ouqj3.png

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

Fun event again for us. Course we played was tough, but very fair. Greens were just brutally tough. Was a tale of two kids for us. First 18 holes was calm, collected, maintained his temper even with a couple bogeys and played a great round +1. Next 27 holes was a whole different kid, angry at every shot, huffing, puffing, kicking the ground, translating to missing every possible putt +17. And like a light switch normal kid returned on the last 9 holes. Nothing bothered him anymore, he was calm, collected and he went and closed out shooting even for the final 9 holes. Once he gets this temper under control I think he has a chance to play some good golf.

Very happy with the course they selected this year over last year. Just wish they weren't charging so much for the practice rounds $85 + $40 for the cart.

> @MikekiM said:

> Fun event again for us. Course we played was tough, but very fair. Greens were just brutally tough. Was a tale of two kids for us. First 18 holes was calm, collected, maintained his temper even with a couple bogeys and played a great round +1. Next 27 holes was a whole different kid, angry at every shot, huffing, puffing, kicking the ground, translating to missing every possible putt +17. And like a light switch normal kid returned on the last 9 holes. Nothing bothered him anymore, he was calm, collected and he went and closed out shooting even for the final 9 holes. Once he gets this temper under control I think he has a chance to play some good golf.

> Very happy with the course they selected this year over last year. Just wish they weren't charging so much for the practice rounds $85 + $40 for the cart.

>

>

>

That's a great first round. Yah I heard that course was hilly with some super pure, but tricky greens. I heard the winner of the 9-10 division was there several week ahead and would be at the course each day from 8-6.

I hope to qualify next year and get in the mix with all the international kids.