Titleist TS3 shaft tipping

mbegs5

Anyone know if Titlesit is tipping the shafts in these? I have a evenflow white that I want to cut 1/2 inch off the tip and reinstall the adapter. I tend to lose the ball right.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65x
Titleist TSR3 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 75x
Titleist 910h 21* w/ Fuji Speeder Tour Spec vc 9.2x
Titleist T100 w/ Project X 6.5
Titleist SM9 50* & SM8 54* & 58* w/ Project X 6.0
TaylorMade Spider Tour X

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

> @mbegs5 said:

> I have a evenflow white that I want to cut 1/2 inch off the top and reinstall the adapter.

You mean you want to remove 1/2" from the tip? (the grip is at the top of the shaft).

But FWIW, If you are only interested in a 1/2" change and If you already have the shaft and have hit with it and know how it feels and performs, it doesn't really matter what Titleist did with it before you got it.

> I tend to lose the ball right.

Does it feel too soft to you? If not, additional tipping isn't likely going to help that problem. The 1/2" shorter playing length might - but whether or not you might need to do any additional tipping should be based on how it feels at the shorter length and with any head weight correction already in place - which is basically saying test it choked up, add lead tape to taste, and see how it feels.

Yes, I meant the tip. Sorry. I want to try and tighten up my dispersion. If I go after one I lose it right. Would I benefit more by cutting a half inch off the butt then moving the weight to more of a draw? I’m trying to eliminate the right side

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65x
Titleist TSR3 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 75x
Titleist 910h 21* w/ Fuji Speeder Tour Spec vc 9.2x
Titleist T100 w/ Project X 6.5
Titleist SM9 50* & SM8 54* & 58* w/ Project X 6.0
TaylorMade Spider Tour X

Shaft stiffness and dispersion are not really related in that way. Going stiffer will not automatically mean less dispersion. Dispersion inconsistencies are coming from your swing, not the shaft. Now some people who are sensitive to the feel of the shaft loading/unloading can have dispersion effected by the stiffness feel BUT for those folks it's a matter of getting the stiffness feel just right - going both stiffer or softer can make the dispersion worse. For the folks that are not all that sensitive, the tipping (or not) wont make any difference to dispersion.

The amount of stiffness feel also can help with the shot shape for some - but everyone is different. One person stiffer might help reduce the "lefts" while for other's it might make them worse. And it's not always a long term fix either. Old swing habits can come right back after playing the different shaft for a while and one gets used to the new feel.

Finally, in any event, 1/2" of tipping is not that big of a change in feel - so even for those sensitive folks, it's more of a tweak to the feel something that is done to get any significant change to ball flight.

But regardless, it still all comes down to feel - which is exactly why I asked about how it currently feels to you. And it's also why I said you really need to test out the club at the shorter length, find out what might need to be done to the head weight and only then after evaluating how it feels choked up and with the added weight - and use that experience to determine how much to take off the butt and how much to take off the tip. Sorry, there really isn't any short cuts when it comes to finding out which might be best or not.

Here is a tutorial that can help you find the best length and weight. Going through this is the best chance you have of getting your equipment to help you out with those swing issues.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/909991/diy-driver-tune-up-diy-fitting/p1

@Stuart_G

you seem very knowledgeable with these things so Ill just post my question here instead of starting a new one since i have a similar question pertaining to the same driver - TS3. I played the stock 45.5 for a couple weeks, and decided to take a 1/2 inch off the butt of the TS3. The club felt slightly different after that. It seems as though its a little loose when i waggle it. I decided to add a 2 gram weight in the weight port because it was what i was supposed to do to bring the swingweight back up. It felt ok, but def. different from the original feel. But it wasnt too drastic, so i played it for 6months.

Last week, my dumb*ss decided to take 1/4 inch off the butt for no other reason than the hopes of making better contact, and now the club feels even worse. Im not sure if its effecting my flight (im pretty consistent with my driver, and its my biggest strength) But i cant help but hate the feeling like the head is whipping back n forth. Should i have taken 1/4 off the tip, in order to maintain the feel ? I dont know what the swingweight is anymore.

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

> @bunta said:

> @Stuart_G

>

> you seem very knowledgeable with these things so Ill just post my question here instead of starting a new one since i have a similar question pertaining to the same driver - TS3. I played the stock 45.5 for a couple weeks, and decided to take a 1/2 inch off the butt of the TS3. The club felt slightly different after that. It seems as though its a little loose when i waggle it. I decided to add a 2 gram weight in the weight port because it was what i was supposed to do to bring the swingweight back up. It felt ok, but def. different from the original feel. But it wasnt too drastic, so i played it for 6months.

>

> Last week, my dumb*ss decided to take 1/4 inch off the butt for no other reason than the hopes of making better contact, and now the club feels even worse. Im not sure if its effecting my flight (im pretty consistent with my driver, and its my biggest strength) But i cant help but hate the feeling like the head is whipping back n forth. Should i have taken 1/4 off the tip, in order to maintain the feel ? I dont know what the swingweight is anymore.

Weight is definitely the problem here. You took 1/2" off which would have dropped you 3 swing weight points. Adding 2 grams will have restored less than half of that, and then you cut off another 1/4" which would cost an additional 1.5 points. You have 4.5 swing weight points of deficit from where you started and it's clear that you've had more of a problem the lighter it has become. 4.5 SW points = 7.2 grams, so you need at least 5 more grams to get back to where you started.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

> @Valtiel said:

> > @bunta said:

> > @Stuart_G

> >

> > you seem very knowledgeable with these things so Ill just post my question here instead of starting a new one since i have a similar question pertaining to the same driver - TS3. I played the stock 45.5 for a couple weeks, and decided to take a 1/2 inch off the butt of the TS3. The club felt slightly different after that. It seems as though its a little loose when i waggle it. I decided to add a 2 gram weight in the weight port because it was what i was supposed to do to bring the swingweight back up. It felt ok, but def. different from the original feel. But it wasnt too drastic, so i played it for 6months.

> >

> > Last week, my dumb*ss decided to take 1/4 inch off the butt for no other reason than the hopes of making better contact, and now the club feels even worse. Im not sure if its effecting my flight (im pretty consistent with my driver, and its my biggest strength) But i cant help but hate the feeling like the head is whipping back n forth. Should i have taken 1/4 off the tip, in order to maintain the feel ? I dont know what the swingweight is anymore.

>

> Weight is definitely the problem here. You took 1/2" off which would have dropped you 3 swing weight points. Adding 2 grams will have restored less than half of that, and then you cut off another 1/4" which would cost an additional 1.5 points. You have 4.5 swing weight points of deficit from where you started and it's clear that you've had more of a problem the lighter it has become. 4.5 SW points = 7.2 grams, so you need at least 5 more grams to get back to where you started.

>

Hi, thanks for the help.

I actually added more weight to the head. I have a +2g, +4g, and a +6g weight cartridge for the TS3 head. I tried putting the +6g weight into the head, but the whole flex of the shaft is just seems off. I cant really pin poiint what it is, but it feels as though the "bend point" of the shaft crept closer to the head now. Before, it felt like it was flexing the middle, which i preferred. Now its more towards the tip/head. All that from just a 1/4inch !

My dumbass should've never cut it. Good thing is, now i have an excuse to go shaft shopping. Bad news is, i am still very perplexed how a 1/4 inch can ruin a shaft ....which is why im here to find out so i dont make the same mistake twice.

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

> @bunta said:

> > @Valtiel said:

> > > @bunta said:

> > > @Stuart_G

> > >

> > > you seem very knowledgeable with these things so Ill just post my question here instead of starting a new one since i have a similar question pertaining to the same driver - TS3. I played the stock 45.5 for a couple weeks, and decided to take a 1/2 inch off the butt of the TS3. The club felt slightly different after that. It seems as though its a little loose when i waggle it. I decided to add a 2 gram weight in the weight port because it was what i was supposed to do to bring the swingweight back up. It felt ok, but def. different from the original feel. But it wasnt too drastic, so i played it for 6months.

> > >

> > > Last week, my dumb*ss decided to take 1/4 inch off the butt for no other reason than the hopes of making better contact, and now the club feels even worse. Im not sure if its effecting my flight (im pretty consistent with my driver, and its my biggest strength) But i cant help but hate the feeling like the head is whipping back n forth. Should i have taken 1/4 off the tip, in order to maintain the feel ? I dont know what the swingweight is anymore.

> >

> > Weight is definitely the problem here. You took 1/2" off which would have dropped you 3 swing weight points. Adding 2 grams will have restored less than half of that, and then you cut off another 1/4" which would cost an additional 1.5 points. You have 4.5 swing weight points of deficit from where you started and it's clear that you've had more of a problem the lighter it has become. 4.5 SW points = 7.2 grams, so you need at least 5 more grams to get back to where you started.

> >

>

> Hi, thanks for the help.

>

> I actually added more weight to the head. I have a +2g, +4g, and a +6g weight cartridge for the TS3 head. I tried putting the +6g weight into the head, but the whole flex of the shaft is just seems off. I cant really pin poiint what it is, but it feels as though the "bend point" of the shaft crept closer to the head now. Before, it felt like it was flexing the middle, which i preferred. Now its more towards the tip/head. All that from just a 1/4inch !

>

> My dumbass should've never cut it. Good thing is, now i have an excuse to go shaft shopping. Bad news is, i am still very perplexed how a 1/4 inch can ruin a shaft ....which is why im here to find out so i dont make the same mistake twice.

Which shaft are we talking about here btw?

It is highly unlikely that 1/4" ruined anything. The most likely issue is the fact that the added weight is now causing you to feel the shaft load in a way you aren't used to. The bend point of the shaft can't really move, so in it is likely just it bending *more* that is throwing you off. There is a relatively easy way to test this, and if you are already committed to buying a new shaft then it wouldn't hurt to try. Remove the grip and the adapter from the shaft, tip it 1/2" and then butt extend it 1/2". This will obviously leave you at the same length while setting up the shaft to behave the same with the extra weight. The worst that can happen is it still feels off and you're going to ditch a shaft you already planning on ditching with the knowledge that you need to be very careful when modifying playing length. The best that can happen is it feels right again, you possibly save yourself from buying another shaft, and you learn that when modifying shaft length that you should split whatever you are wanting to remove 50/50 between the butt and the tip to correctly handle the extra weight added and keep the feel the way you want.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Bridgestone 

• 1 year later...
On 7/3/2019 at 6:12 AM, Valtiel said:

> @bunta said:

> > @Valtiel said:

> > > @bunta said:

> > > @Stuart_G

> > >

> > > you seem very knowledgeable with these things so Ill just post my question here instead of starting a new one since i have a similar question pertaining to the same driver - TS3. I played the stock 45.5 for a couple weeks, and decided to take a 1/2 inch off the butt of the TS3. The club felt slightly different after that. It seems as though its a little loose when i waggle it. I decided to add a 2 gram weight in the weight port because it was what i was supposed to do to bring the swingweight back up. It felt ok, but def. different from the original feel. But it wasnt too drastic, so i played it for 6months.

> > >

> > > Last week, my dumb*ss decided to take 1/4 inch off the butt for no other reason than the hopes of making better contact, and now the club feels even worse. Im not sure if its effecting my flight (im pretty consistent with my driver, and its my biggest strength) But i cant help but hate the feeling like the head is whipping back n forth. Should i have taken 1/4 off the tip, in order to maintain the feel ? I dont know what the swingweight is anymore.

> >

> > Weight is definitely the problem here. You took 1/2" off which would have dropped you 3 swing weight points. Adding 2 grams will have restored less than half of that, and then you cut off another 1/4" which would cost an additional 1.5 points. You have 4.5 swing weight points of deficit from where you started and it's clear that you've had more of a problem the lighter it has become. 4.5 SW points = 7.2 grams, so you need at least 5 more grams to get back to where you started.

> >

>

> Hi, thanks for the help.

>

> I actually added more weight to the head. I have a +2g, +4g, and a +6g weight cartridge for the TS3 head. I tried putting the +6g weight into the head, but the whole flex of the shaft is just seems off. I cant really pin poiint what it is, but it feels as though the "bend point" of the shaft crept closer to the head now. Before, it felt like it was flexing the middle, which i preferred. Now its more towards the tip/head. All that from just a 1/4inch !

>

> My dumbass should've never cut it. Good thing is, now i have an excuse to go shaft shopping. Bad news is, i am still very perplexed how a 1/4 inch can ruin a shaft ....which is why im here to find out so i dont make the same mistake twice.

Which shaft are we talking about here btw?

It is highly unlikely that 1/4" ruined anything. The most likely issue is the fact that the added weight is now causing you to feel the shaft load in a way you aren't used to. The bend point of the shaft can't really move, so in it is likely just it bending *more* that is throwing you off. There is a relatively easy way to test this, and if you are already committed to buying a new shaft then it wouldn't hurt to try. Remove the grip and the adapter from the shaft, tip it 1/2" and then butt extend it 1/2". This will obviously leave you at the same length while setting up the shaft to behave the same with the extra weight. The worst that can happen is it still feels off and you're going to ditch a shaft you already planning on ditching with the knowledge that you need to be very careful when modifying playing length. The best that can happen is it feels right again, you possibly save yourself from buying another shaft, and you learn that when modifying shaft length that you should split whatever you are wanting to remove 50/50 between the butt and the tip to correctly handle the extra weight added and keep the feel the way you want.

What’s the effect of not tipping a 3 wood shaft 0.5 inches? 

if you want the shaft to be a bit more “active” for increased launch will not tipping actually help?

11 minutes ago, justcallmemoses said:

What’s the effect of not tipping a 3 wood shaft 0.5 inches? 

if you want the shaft to be a bit more “active” for increased launch will not tipping actually help?

That would be the effect, yes. The tip will be a little more active all things being equal. 

Bridgestone