2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

So...

Robo, robo, robo...

When, my friend are you going to have a sip of your own kool aid and come to grips with the alarmingly simple fact that right now the l4v is king??? Hmmm? Feeling a little unsure of your own conviction are we?

Heh heh.

Couldn't resist - you set yourself up, after all!

Ski, you're mistaking indecisiveness for the innate urge to Ho'. In order to know you have the best there has to be an ongoing competition in our bag to keep the #1 showing and proving itself. That's how we always know we have the best club in our bags!!

What shaft do you guys think i should go for? I've tried the lv4 and am gonna pull the trigger but am unable to try out different shaft combos. I play off 2 handicap and have a ss of 106-110 depending how im swinging and naturally hit it high with more backspin that i'd like. Two shafts i like are the V2 & speeder 757 but thats about all i've tried, any recomendations? :wub:

O.K. ROBO, Pav and all others with high swing speed.....I need some shaft help. First of all, drank the Kool Aide and am loving it....but realized today I must have been spinning my old drivers off the charts... Heres why!! I switched to the L4V with the 65g PYPE in an X flex. By far the longest straightest driver I have ever hit. Now to me it was much more penetrating than any of my old drivers. So today I got fitted for a ball today by the bridgestone guy and here are my numbers with the B330 S...

SS - 122 Avg

Bspeed - 169 Avg (yup got to work on the smash factor a little bit..I agree)

Launch - 13* Avg

Back Spin - 4300 (it was worse with the B330, around 4500)

So Clearly my backspin is way too high.....so now what.....Do I tip the Pype or put something else in....Recomendations?

Now the funny part is that these numbers still produce the most penetrating ball flight for me so far so I don't even want to think about what was happening with my backspin when I was Ballooning my previous driver....

O.K. ROBO, Pav and all others with high swing speed.....I need some shaft help. First of all, drank the Kool Aide and am loving it....but realized today I must have been spinning my old drivers off the charts... Heres why!! I switched to the L4V with the 65g PYPE in an X flex. By far the longest straightest driver I have ever hit. Now to me it was much more penetrating than any of my old drivers. So today I got fitted for a ball today by the bridgestone guy and here are my numbers with the B330 S...

SS - 122 Avg

Launch - 13* Avg

So Clearly my backspin is way too high.....so now what.....Do I tip the Pype or put something else in....Recomendations?

Now the funny part is that these numbers still produce the most penetrating ball flight for me so far so I don't even want to think about what was happening with my backspin when I was Ballooning my previous driver....

Wow ... Wierd ballspeed for that SS ... We'll figure it out ... Couple quick ??s

What is your current setup (gamer) ... and I am going to bet you normal shot is a big cut

What is your preferred shot & miss ??

THE BRIGADE is on duty 24/7 star-wars-smiley-013.gifpompomr4wr.gif

If I miss it I will cut it...Thats why I went with the F instead of the X...to try and bring the slice out of it....(Don't get me wrong I am a 5 handicap so What i call a slice is right rough not right ut of bounds. I actually hit it damn straight now with the L4V. My gamer used to be a 425tp which I loved until the epic chart I had put in gave up on me at the range. I have always hit the ball high. Even with my irons. I think the main problem is still the indian and not the arrow because I really strike down on the ball with my irons so that may be leaking into my driver brining those high backspin numbers into account. question is ..... will tipping my shaft reduce the spin with this motion or will I need to take a good look at my driver swing at try work on striking it on the upswing? As for my preferred miss...Defintely right....I HATE going left.

question is ..... will tipping my shaft reduce the spin with this motion or will I need to take a good look at my driver swing at try work on striking it on the upswing? As for my preferred miss...Defintely right....I HATE going left.

Hey man...you've got some HP over me in the SS department, but I really like the feel of the PYPE tipped 1". All that I know is..."I CAN'T GO LEFT for nothing, with this set-up." Straight, or a Fade when I want. Tipping it will most certainly tighten up your shot dispersion, and I would think reduce the spin...to some extent. ROBO has probably PM'd you already. I know you said you have the F, and I have the X...but with the SS you got, I think tipping it just may improve the results for you. Worth a try...I would think, before trying another shaft. JM2C.

So...

Robo, robo, robo...

When, my friend are you going to have a sip of your own kool aid and come to grips with the alarmingly simple fact that right now the l4v is king??? Hmmm? Feeling a little unsure of your own conviction are we?

Heh heh.

Couldn't resist - you set yourself up, after all!

Ski, you're mistaking indecisiveness for the innate urge to Ho'. In order to know you have the best there has to be an ongoing competition in our bag to keep the #1 showing and proving itself. That's how we always know we have the best club in our bags!!

Yea, I suppose it is probably a better to keep standing on ROBO's wallet and allowing him to do the dirty work.

And ya know.... I think mikey likes it. :wub:

What shaft do you guys think i should go for? I've tried the lv4 and am gonna pull the trigger but am unable to try out different shaft combos. I play off 2 handicap and have a ss of 106-110 depending how im swinging and naturally hit it high with more backspin that i'd like. Two shafts i like are the V2 & speeder 757 but thats about all i've tried, any recomendations? :wub:

Daddydave our SS is the same and I'm also high spin, high launch, and a 2 handicap. I went with the new Fujikura Rombax 5Z08 stiff tipped 1/2" in my L4VX and I'm loving it. Its a bit pricey but look around you can find one for around $200. Its stiffer tip higher bend point than the W or X Rombax. Its low launch, low spin - that's what you need for this head. Diamana WhiteBoard would be another good choice.

http://www.fujikuragolf.com/

Going to FINALLY take out the L4 tomorrow for an on course test. I'm really excited to see how far this thing will go outside.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° Project X Denali Blue 60

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

What shaft do you guys think i should go for? I've tried the lv4 and am gonna pull the trigger but am unable to try out different shaft combos. I play off 2 handicap and have a ss of 106-110 depending how im swinging and naturally hit it high with more backspin that i'd like. Two shafts i like are the V2 & speeder 757 but thats about all i've tried, any recomendations? :rolleyes:

We've got the same SS ( I have a quick tempo though) and I also hit high and too much backspin. I got a GD PM702 at 44.5" which lowered my flight and spin.

SS - 122 Avg

Launch - 13* Avg

What monitor was this done on? Those #'s seem off.

My new L4V has a Rombax 8Z08 in that was tipped at least an 1.5" and it is mint. Might be worth trying.

THANK YOU ROBO.

I picked one up last Friday w/ factory shafted xflex YS6. Everything Robo said about this club is true. It is freaking LONG. Absolutely, positively the longest driver I've ever played. It's also the most accurate driver as well. This club has it all. DISTANCE, forgiveness, and accuracy all wrapped up in one. I'd guestimate about 10yds for me but the beauty of this club is the accuracy off the tea. I havn't driven the ball like this in years. And by that I mean accuracy combined with distance. I always give up yardage to play the most accurate driver. With the L4V, I'm not giving up a thing. This driver won me back some nice change over the weekend. I tend to be a low ball hitter so this club did not hit high for me. It was just right. WOW was I impressed but my playing partners too. I played 36 holes and only one snapper and that was due to a lowsy swing. This thing just wants to go straight.

Ping G430 LST 9 Ventus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

SS - 122 Avg

Launch - 13* Avg

My new L4V has a Rombax 8Z08 in that was tipped at least an 1.5" and it is mint. Might be worth trying.

WHich numers seem most off to you....??

I know the SS is pretty much on because it used to be closer to 130 but now kids and work = no gym and less golf = a slower SS.

As for the monitor, you know I am not 100% sure. IT was done by the "bridgestone ball fitting challenge guy" I will say though that I did feel like I was coming a little more over the top than from the inside due to the sensors etc. It felt like I was going to hit them if I came from the inside too much.

I will PM you about the 8Z08.

Thanks again guys

SS - 122 Avg

Launch - 13* Avg

WHich numers seem most off to you....??

I know the SS is pretty much on because it used to be closer to 130 but now kids and work = no gym and less golf = a slower SS.

As for the monitor, you know I am not 100% sure. IT was done by the "bridgestone ball fitting challenge guy" I will say though that I did feel like I was coming a little more over the top than from the inside due to the sensors etc. It felt like I was going to hit them if I came from the inside too much.

I will PM you about the 8Z08.

Thanks again guys

The spin and ball speed #'s. The ball speed should be in the 180's and the spin is what a mid-iron would be. I have found that sometimes with high speeds, indoor monitors don't have enough space to read correctly.

First post and I am thirsty!

:rolleyes:

Which shaft for the L4V X

SS=105-108

Ball spd = 156

Distance = 250 with little roll (would like a little more)

Very fast tempo.. "hitter of the golf ball"

Normal shot is a pronounced draw When I run bad its a hook... OOB left

Looking at the stock VS proto and the speeder pro both in stiff flex playing @ 44.5?

Need help guys, I've been playing my Cobra Sz400 for the last few years and love it to death. Im not a fan of the 460cc heads but i guess i have to deal with it sooner or later. I play a Graffaloy Blue S shaft combo and hit the ball very very well. I don't want to change but i've hit my driver so many times over 3/4 years that i think its time to get a Virgin Club face again.

Any feedback with a L4V + Blue?

I got a chance to play with an L4VX with a protopype 60x in Myrtle Beach this past week. To start things off, I've played a draw for the past several years. So I have aimed down the right side of the fairway for a long time. This thing does not go left. It is VERY consistent and VERY long. It took quite a few holes to feel comfortable setting up down the middle to down the left side of the fairway. I look forward to hitting more fairways this season. This is a a great set up you can really go after. I'm very happy with it.

I got a chance to play with an L4VX with a protopype 60x in Myrtle Beach this past week. To start things off, I've played a draw for the past several years. So I have aimed down the right side of the fairway for a long time. This thing does not go left. It is VERY consistent and VERY long. It took quite a few holes to feel comfortable setting up down the middle to down the left side of the fairway. I look forward to hitting more fairways this season. This is a a great set up you can really go after. I'm very happy with it.

Exactly. I can't wait, to do the same. Played about a 3-4 yard draw for quite some time now. I'm sure it won't take long to get comfortable setting up right down the PYPE!!!!

Well the first round with the L4 is now under my belt and it went amazingly. This thing just wants to go straight. I could draw it, but not more than about 3 yards. My normal shot was pretty much dead straight, or a nice little 3 yard cut. Very anti-left club. It did not want to hook, which I was very pleased with. I hit this thing in places I had never been, and the course was wet. Can't wait to try it some more. It is firmly in the bag though.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° Project X Denali Blue 60

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

I recently hit a L4V F 10 degree with the regular flex shaft in Golfsmith. My numbers were:

SS: 89-90

LA: 12-14

spin: around 2250 -2400

For max distance with my low swing speed, is that what the launch angle and spin should be about?

I don't think so. At your SS the ball would be falling out of the air. You need higher spin rates and a little higher launch. In my opinion you need to be around 3000. You might want to consider a 11 or a more lofted L4V. Maybe some others can pype in.

http://www.sonicboomgolf.com/distanceoptim...ondashboard.swf

Does that thingie work? If I´m reading correctly, it´s saying a 16* launch is ideal for almost all, can that be?

I also noticed in their club head speed to ball speed calculator has MPH to KMH the wrong way around, what the heck.

Looking that the Head Speed and ball speed. I did my calculations and its very close to my Launch Monitor data I have on file.

Just came back from a 9 day Florida trip (I live in NY) and was lucky enough to hit not one but TWO "Demo days" with Cobra, Callaway, Nike, Taylor Made and Ping present.

When my swing is right I typically hit a fairly (too) high, fairly straight drive. SS around 98 or so (and, as it turns out, with too much spin - around 4,000 rpms).

During the first demo day I had my "Winter" swing and my misses were high right although I did manage to hit a goodly number of mostly straight drives. Unfortunately, in Florida, the wind is ALWAYS in your face !!! :rolleyes:

I hit the L4V and many of them went high right. The ones that went straight looked pretty good but were higher than my normal drives and weren't all that impressive. I attribute the "high rights" mostly to my "Winter swing".

I have not liked the Callaway drivers in a very long time but the rep fitted me up with an 8.5 FT-5 with the Aldila VS Proto 60 Stiff shaft. Verrrrrrrry Impressive. I was hitting very low (for me) bullets that pierced through the wind. The Ping G-10 went well but they didn't have the Pro Launch Red shaft there for me to try.

A week later, after having played a number of times during the week, I had a somewhat "Summer-ized swing" for the following Saturday Demo Day, this one at Palm-Aire. Again a "wind in the face" Demo Day. And this time the wind was even stiffer - probably a steady 20MPH, maybe a bit more, and almost dead in the face (maybe 5 or 10 degrees from the right)

Again, simpy killed the 8.5 FT-5 with the VS Proto - bored right through the wind.

Tried the L4V again - 9.0 deg X with the Stiff shaft. This time I was pretty much killing every shot dead straight, maybe just a few degrees left of center, on a rather (too) high trajectory. But the ball was NOT ballooning at all; you know, that "upshooter" you see and dread. It did go high but even at such a height, carried forever and didn't seemed to be knocked down by the wind.

Unfortunately, at the driving range it's impossible to tell distance, total or otherwise and the worst part of it was, at neither Demo Day, did any of the reps have a launch monitor.

I will experiment for awhile. Even have to try THIS year's version of my last year's driver (longest and straightest I've ever hit); my Nike Sumo 8.5 with Stiff VS Proto. It has a much more stable feeling (ready heavier swingweight) head than last year's model and the ball feels more solidly struck of the face.

I was laughing during your post because I did the same thing. Same reaction with the L4V, FT-5, etc. I bought the FT-5 with the Aldila NVS 65 S. WOW.

L4V was solid, but FT-5 worked better for me.

Why don't you try an L4V with an NVS-65 or similar shaft if you want to make an informed decision. I mean come on...comparing just about any stock OEM shaft w/ a custom Nano-tech shaft is hardly a good comparison. I'm sorry but unless I'm missing something in your post it just does not make sense.